At what age did you grow out of genre tourism?

At what age did you grow out of genre tourism?

Attached: 1496779924886.jpg (1781x4325, 2.53M)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/~MagaCream
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_recording_and_reproduction
medium.com/@shallowrewards/period-correct-pop-118de5119d6f
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not this shit again

17. I've been listening to music chronologically for almost half a year. I started in 1923 and I'm on 1951 right now. Found really interesting stuff.

what age did you grow out of caring what other people listen to?

>started in 1923
castrate yourself

Why? i don't get it.

1910 = music started, dumbass

No, faggot. Im following the chronology of recorded music, not historical chronology. There are a few recordings before 1923.

that's retarded

Why?

pointless and impossible unless you're only listening to the most famous artists, which would make you a genre tourist

>pointless
How so?
>impossible unless you're only listening to the most famous artists
How so?

I doubt you're listening to literally every recording released by day since 1923. because that's impossible even if you're a NEET

That's a great way to find new music and get a feel for how musical styles evolved over time. Don't listen to those other fags.

I'm following the Discogs and RYM catalog of every year. Sometimes I really can't find an album that's there, but it's pretty rare. Discogs is better than RYM on this aspect, because it has more database. Plus on RYM albums with no ratings don't show up on the year catalog.
But I understand your point, and it's true, sometimes I can't find an album that's there to listen.

drop some hidden gems :x

What is wrong with you?

The majority of what I've heard yet it's classical stuff, because until mid 40's the majority of the recordings were classical recordings, and they're pretty entry-level like Beethoven, Stravinsky.
I catalog every 10/10, 9/10, 8/10 and 7/10 I've heard from every genre until now.
The thing is that there I didn't find any obscure artist until now, because there aren't obscure artists on these eras. Jazz was dominated by Swing/bebop on the majority of this period, for example. The folk scenario is more interesting, though. The only 9/10's folk recordings I've heard until now are:
Various Artists - Negro Folk Music of Africa and America [1951]
Various Artists - Folk Music of Brazil: Afro-Bahian Religious Songs

If you like weird as fuck folk music, you should check it out the year 1951. A recording company called Folkways Records released dozens of albums from folk music of countries like Haiti, Pakistan, China, Cuba, and apart from the historical insight that is really interesting, some of these music sounds really alien(Haiti, for example).
I can post the 9/10's of jazz music if you want, but there are no hidden gems, though. Benny Goodmans, Duke Ellingtons, Stan Kentons, definitely not obscure shit.
I may recommend to you Machito - Afro-Cuban Jazz [1951], though. It's the best jazz record I've heard until now.
Why?

nice, I listen to a lot of folk so I'm actually familiar with Folkways Records but I will definitely check out your recs. they look right up my alley, but I'm not really into jazz
you got an rym?

Yes, rateyourmusic.com/~MagaCream

when I decided to only listen to metal

do you have ocd, cause you should really get that checked out

I've always wanted to do an immersion thing where I only allow myself to listen to music released up to a particular year andbgoing up one year on a monthly basis. This way you get a picture of the music scene as a whole at the time, including both current stuff and older stuff that people might have been compelled to go back to and draw inspiration from

I don't think that I have it, but I understand that my behavior is at least a bit suspect.
You should try it with the year you like the most. For example, before I started doing this, I tried before with 1967 and 1968. And I was satisfied with that, so I decided to go back to the beginning.

>stopped at 17
>half a year ago
So you're underage? Also
>go through almost 30 years of music in half a year's time
Yep, still a tourist. A massive one.

>So you're underage?
No, I'm 18.
>go through almost 30 years of music in half a year
The majority of the early years have like, 5 albums. 1923, for example, there's only one album(if I'm not mistaken, a Beethoven's 9th Symphony recording). So on the beginning years there's much less music per year than what you might expect.
1950 onwards this scenario starts changing. I'm more than a month on 1951, for example. So I think I'm good.
>still a tourist
Why?

Plus, I might add that on the early years, the majority of evolution on jazz music was being made by singles. I don't follow up singles(only albums, EP's and compilation albums), therefore I'm losing, right now, some historical insight of these early years. But these singles show up on compilations on later years, and I will listen to them. On 1950, for example, there are some compilation jazz albums about the early Dixieland, stuff from 20-30's. So I will experience these missing points later, understand?

>he doesn't listen to the music in order when it was composed but when it was recorded

Attached: 1547683038841.png (580x471, 253K)

I considered listening according to historical chronology, but then I thought about classical pieces. Which recordings should I listen of a classical piece? So in my head listening to recording chronology makes more sense.

That essentials chart is fucking dumb compared to the original one. I've never seen about a third of those records discussed on this board.

never did lol

Attached: aphexjak.png (445x445, 31K)

I only started to browse here because i was getting into entry level punk like the Clash and Sex Pistols, and ended getting obsessed with obscure early 80s hardcore and later post-punk. There's still a ton of Yea Forumscore albums i haven't gotten to listen

this genre tourist meme isn't going to catch on

>1923
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_recording_and_reproduction

Huh?

Leave Aphex Twin alone dude

Your bait is weak

What? I'm not baiting.

Chris Ott wrote about something similar medium.com/@shallowrewards/period-correct-pop-118de5119d6f

bump