Is prog punk the pinnacle of rock music?

Is prog punk the pinnacle of rock music?
Post your favorite prog + punk fusions ITT

Attached: deceit.jpg (494x483, 35K)

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/genre/Progressive Rock/
youtube.com/watch?v=me-QInQirVc
youtube.com/watch?v=h6WOVE-FFbE
youtube.com/watch?v=iOwm-HYfVwA
youtube.com/watch?v=ETxtSbfpjHE
youtube.com/watch?v=vmnHIObuC9A
youtube.com/watch?v=ww1vAfU0Kiw
youtube.com/watch?v=eAzMZM71KvU
youtube.com/watch?v=pLJtcyuo5w8
youtube.com/watch?v=pkDtDeM04rQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5itOj0nYEfw
youtube.com/watch?v=7e_9rpBR6Bc
youtube.com/watch?v=iwNF14QZzHg
youtube.com/watch?v=29MaaZZAryQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gB1XxFGXrj8
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4M49688L7w
youtube.com/watch?v=_hmk1vOuByo
youtube.com/watch?v=F6dH-G7my4s
youtube.com/watch?v=pcMnpHtJrm8
youtube.com/watch?v=jIfPEVyPTsY
youtu.be/MUnUKoUmSeU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>this heat
>prog
are you p4k drone? because there isn't much prog in here, unless you call krautrock progressive

Pic i guess

Attached: R-1928669-1253083968.jpeg.jpg (300x300, 75K)

Krautrock is prog rock

this is really retarded

rateyourmusic.com/genre/Progressive Rock/
Look under the subgenres

>look at these retarded niggas
I mean, krautrock clearly was inspired mostly by VU and jazz shit than by progressive rock, moreover there wasn't really much progressive rock albums in the late 60s-early 70s

Another great album I found recently

Attached: cover.jpg (597x597, 99K)

Attached: 220px-Mission_of_Burma-Vs-cover.jpg (220x220, 23K)

bump

I don't know about the punk part since I don't listen to that, but to me This Heat sounds like a guitar-focused version of Henry Cow.
I guess some of these could fit what you're looking for
youtube.com/watch?v=me-QInQirVc
youtube.com/watch?v=h6WOVE-FFbE
youtube.com/watch?v=iOwm-HYfVwA
youtube.com/watch?v=ETxtSbfpjHE
youtube.com/watch?v=vmnHIObuC9A
youtube.com/watch?v=ww1vAfU0Kiw
youtube.com/watch?v=eAzMZM71KvU
youtube.com/watch?v=pLJtcyuo5w8
youtube.com/watch?v=pkDtDeM04rQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5itOj0nYEfw
youtube.com/watch?v=7e_9rpBR6Bc

Haven't heard most of these, thanks a lot

>there wasn't really much progressive rock albums in the late 60s-early 70s
But that's when literally all of them were released.

mid 70's? late 60s is KC and some other bands and early 70s... well maybe you are right

Just remembered these, could fit too into what you're looking
youtube.com/watch?v=iwNF14QZzHg
youtube.com/watch?v=29MaaZZAryQ
youtube.com/watch?v=gB1XxFGXrj8
youtube.com/watch?v=Q4M49688L7w
youtube.com/watch?v=_hmk1vOuByo
youtube.com/watch?v=F6dH-G7my4s
youtube.com/watch?v=pcMnpHtJrm8

krautrock is so nonspecific that this conversation is pointless. some krautrock is deliberately simplistic and minimalist, similar to punk music, and some krautrock is very progressive especially in the context of the year it came out.

Thanks! I really love this kind of music and that's plenty to listen to.
I already listened to The Ghost Trade (I have yet to listen to their EPs though) and it's very good, shame they didn't record more music.

bump

ever hear this?

Attached: R-2912781-1306964760.jpeg.jpg (597x600, 126K)

No, I didn't know Gong were in this vein, I always assumed they were something like Magma but more spacey. Thanks!

I would call that album prog as it's very much focused on repetition. Like, imo very annoying amounts of repetition most of the songs can cut off a lot of their bits.

First off, very impressive digits
Which ones are you talking about exactly, out of curiosity?
I do think that repetition is an elemtent used in it but that's more in a krautrock sense with the songs slowly changing, for example the tapes in the last third of Paper Hats.

this heat isn’t prog at all. hayward even explicitly stated that the group was trying to get away from the complexities of most prog groups of the time

Also, I find those repetitive parts very immersive and hypnotic, for example the intro to A New Kind of Water (my favorite song by them), the opening riff only consists of two different notes but sounds extremely ominous

It's definitely not stricly prog but I do think there are still elements of it in there (along with other experimental rock, the guitar playing in S.P.Q.R. for example reminds me a lot of this youtube.com/watch?v=jIfPEVyPTsY )

Also, they cited Can as a major influence

good picks user

Paper Hats is notorious for this because it's really long while only having like three parts. The last part doesn't change until like the very end where the instruments sorta "go in the background". While the first two parts don't even attempt this kinda stuff.
To me, things don't get hypnotic in music until there's enough moving parts to give that repetition that sensation. Think minimalist classical, goa/psytrance, or a band like Swans.

That Massacre album especially is just so good. I was just listening to it earlier. The guitar barely sounds like one about half of the record, sounds more like some sort of malfunctioning machine. That intro to Tourism is probably my favorite part of the whole record, the first time I heard it it reminded me of an out of time cuckoo clock.

I wouldn't call six minutes "really long", I'm surprised that you say this honestly since you mention Swans and a good portion of their songs are much longer and in my view much more repetitive (not trying to shit on Swans though).

you're all gay

youtu.be/MUnUKoUmSeU