Which is the better electronic subgenre, EDM or IDM?

Which is the better electronic subgenre, EDM or IDM?

Attached: versus.jpg (1051x522, 94K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/6XHYHOoCqug
youtu.be/yQyBkr7nGYo
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres
youtube.com/watch?v=1kLDH9gMe2g
youtube.com/watch?v=49q5qGZlKo4
youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

IDM, easy money. More experimental and less tacky.

>easy money
there's like one or two idm artists who made real money, the rest are all bandcamp tier

Dubstep

Sub, sub, subgenre of EDM

i mean i love Aphex Twin hes probably my fav artist of all time, but the genre in and of itself doesnt have THAT much great stuff to offer. I mean if you count Boards of Canada as IDM maybe, but to me theyre more like experimental downtempo. IDM is stuff like Vordhosbn or Do you know squarepusher, or the stuff on Syro.

And when I compare that to the broad range of EDM (which has a lot of trash, but also some great bangers) id say EDM. Id love to see more high quality however rather than more EDM, of which we have more then enough. Every fucking brainlet can produce EDM with their pirated laptop and PC and thats just not healthy for the genre overall. IDM (usually) takes a lot more effort to produce, but making a really good future house or bass house also isnt really easy id say.

EDM is a better genre tag
IDM is a cringe genre tag and all the artists that get pigeonholed in it despise it

*pirated FL studio i meant LOL sorry im tired af

idm but just call it edm because idm is a horribly pretentious name

listening alot these day to a lil french cutie who makes really pretty IDM, so its IDM for me lads.

name?

Tryphème... she weaves alot of lovely melodies into her stuff
youtu.be/6XHYHOoCqug
youtu.be/yQyBkr7nGYo

Attached: 159693f8e09484f6f0465cd68e7da8f12ecf12e5.jpg (640x640, 148K)

isnt idm a subgenre of edm
edm is, afterall “electronic dance music”
the only difference is that idm is just “intelligent” or whatever the fuck that means. so probably edm

The second song is good the first could use some drums

No its not a subgenre, you cant dance to IDM. How would you dance to Vordhosbn for example?

>tripfag speaks truth
what have we become

It doesn't have a distinct rhythm pattern that repeats during the whole song but it is a cool song to vibe to, so you can kinda dance to it.

move your feet fag

then why the fuck is it “intelligent DANCE music”

i think he just meant it like "for sure" "take it to the bank"

>basically anyone on early warp, rephlex, planet mu, ninja tune, fax, etc etc

EBM
/thread

I danced when I saw ae live, you're simply not intelligent enough

No one on Ninja Tune is '''''''''''''''IDM''''''''''''''''

EDM is a non genre. It's not even listed as a genre in Wikipedia en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_electronic_music_genres
The artists don't want to be tagged with IDM, so what? Thats not how language works. If the majority starts to use a certain word it gets written down in a dictionary/encyclopdia and voila, now you have your new genre term. language doesnt care about wether some people like certain words or not.

Wow, you must have a huge IQ

and must have a low iq considering the incredible content of your post

Certainly no match for such a great revelation about language you bestow upon us

well there was more information and arguments in my post than yours, faggot.

>faggot

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 77K)

go back to plebbit faggot the people there are more your speed.

you can also report them there if they say something mean to you like "faggot", faggot ;)

Attached: IMG_9744.jpg (768x1024, 81K)

because originally it was a marketing trick by club owners to get hipsters and other pretentious shitheads to go to their clubs

We already decided "IDM" (introvert dance music) should be called "ELM" for "electronic listening music".

>IDM
It's ELM

>making a really good future house or bass house also isnt really easy id say.

Future House is literally Dutch brainlet teenagers with pirated fruity loops that don't know what they are doing and is easy as fuck to make

t. future house producer

>Future House is literally Dutch brainlet teenagers with pirated fruity loops that don't know what they are doing and is easy as fuck to make
ok, so make it then, make a GOOD future house song. its not easy and if you knew anything about producing youd know that.

where is the difference in complicated/interesting sounds in these two, very different songs?

youtube.com/watch?v=1kLDH9gMe2g

youtube.com/watch?v=49q5qGZlKo4

the sound design on the bass sound on that future house song is very well tuned and thought out, just as the synths in BoC tunes.

BoC is just as repetitive as your average future house song. just because they have all that hyped up mystic image that was fabricated by WARP records in the 90s for all these "IDM" artists doesnt mean it so hard to make that kinda stuff. at least not compared to stuff like future bass or future house.

actually I like future house for that very reason; it reminds me a bit of IDM. it's one of the more interesting popular electronic music subgenres.

Ambient techno

IDM tracks are very difficult to mess up, you can do almost anything because it's supposed to be experimental, EDM genres like the kind of big room house Spinnin released around 2014 have a very strict ruleset of what you can do, I'd say house in general is more skillful than IDM, but then you have branches like trap (early trap without vocals which was generally accepted as EDM), it's like the most braindead easy thing to produce.

So it all depends on what type of EDM we're discussing.

anything autoproclamed "inteligent " is dumb as fuck

did you just say big room house is hard to produce?

Attached: IMG_9754.png (489x375, 151K)

>make a GOOD future house song. its not easy and if you knew anything about producing

lol if only you knew

I mean if you are giving me to decide between IDM and "EDM" then sure of course i prefer IDM. But besides that, those 2 terms are fucking retarded. IDM not so much because there is a distinct IDM sound or direction thst you can recognize. But that's about it. There's way too many different electronic subgenres to "just" call it EDM.

oh look, its mr talented future house producer browsing Yea Forums undercover for teh epic lulz, laughing at us untalented peasants! wow! but i bet you wont reveal your amazing identity to us right? how good for you! damn!

Electro house

You like shitty house

Attached: 1541037645102.gif (322x178, 2.56M)

this

Aphex twin is a hack and his music is SHIT

:)

ELM

so how many top 50 future house songs have you produced yet? have you been featured on future house music on youtube?
youtube.com/watch?v=uCGD9dT12C0