What are some albums/artists that have that "experimental/art" side to them but are fun, maybe catchy...

What are some albums/artists that have that "experimental/art" side to them but are fun, maybe catchy, and sound at least somewhat like their own thing?
Been listening to a lot of more serious/negative music and can't stand the trap/cloud/top 40 pop/generic indie pop/alt rock scenes. I'd like to find more albums to fit my description of "quirky" experimental art pop/rock that doesn't go so far with being experimental that they can't be fun. Using pic related as a perfect really good example of this sort of thing.

Attached: Who Will Cut Our Hair When We're Gone.jpg (598x590, 204K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mega.nz/#F!oLZB3KCS!Sm-ClB_QftX_D5B2YMLhDw
youtu.be/c4nunES9DyI
jackstauber.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=IWOH4OsiPHQ
youtube.com/watch?v=6l9td5wsGLY&list=OLAK5uy_lijS7wupwVoCwEnRQLF7UaNj6rRZvzWDw
algernoncadwallader.bandcamp.com/track/motivational-song
youtube.com/watch?v=K_saZvb0CQQ
youtube.com/watch?v=WWxADeyHRCE
youtube.com/watch?v=Z96u3dR-9jc
youtube.com/watch?v=KiSc0n88rno
youtube.com/watch?v=SgTePmiSepY
youtube.com/watch?v=VHjEnX-utPk
youtube.com/watch?v=OPuQua_uZD4
youtube.com/watch?v=vBJe0DWFDYo
mega.nz/#F!IOwhEYjJ!df9li7RJPmBJ7wMPIG8ODA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

lol

Pic related is another one that just came to mind that I'd rec to anyone but I think it's well-known enough that I don't have to rec it. Just listen to it if you haven't.
in fact I have it ULed on my Mega account so here, it's 320
mega.nz/#F!oLZB3KCS!Sm-ClB_QftX_D5B2YMLhDw

Attached: Viva! La Woman.jpg (1080x1080, 173K)

what's so funny buster?

Superorganism youtu.be/c4nunES9DyI

i know he's like youtubecore but Jack Stauber is worth a listen
jackstauber.bandcamp.com/

Hey this is pretty cool

I’m a big Unicorns fan and I also really liked this album so maybe OP will too.

Prefuse 73’s One Word Extinguisher
It’s glithchy electronic hip-hop

Have you listened to Islands, OP?

This album is certainly /myspace/-core, but I genuinely think it's amazing

Attached: chinchilla album.jpg (355x355, 23K)

Chad MySpace Era vs Virgin Facebook Epoch

Shpongle
youtube.com/watch?v=IWOH4OsiPHQ

Oh yeah I liked their album as well, especially the title track. Good stuff!
Only their debut which I enjoyed a lot.

youtube.com/watch?v=6l9td5wsGLY&list=OLAK5uy_lijS7wupwVoCwEnRQLF7UaNj6rRZvzWDw

Attached: R-1955263-1285901287.jpeg.jpg (500x500, 80K)

Pic related ticks experimental fun and catchy boxes IMHO. Definitely a few tracks with completely nonsensical lyrics but they're super catchy

Attached: GodDontMakeNoJunk.jpg (301x300, 17K)

Zappa
I was gonna post a link to Burnt Weeny Sandwich but my phone is dummy

Their debut is my favorite, i like “volcanoes” best i think. theyre not as good as the corns but still cool

Yes this is awesome, iirc it’s Calvin Johnson (beat happening) doing like dub-rock?

Liking the feel of all of these. great recs so far!
DLing all of these to check out as well.
Already a successful thread imo

trips and quads of truth, its the shit. Yea its Calvin Johnson's not-so-serious punk rock/pop meets Doug Martsh's intangible emo-ness. Though Johnson definitely prevails on the album.

yeah this is a fun thread, i agree that listening to 'serious music' all the time can get old. if i can hit you with another one, Algernon Cadwallader is prob my favorite band. playful but legit great

algernoncadwallader.bandcamp.com/track/motivational-song

based

checked, also
>dub-rock?
halo benders are calvin and doug marsch from built to spill making standard, though still good indie fare. calvin's dub project is dub narcotic sound system.

Attached: no now.jpg (1000x1000, 888K)

>dub narcotic sound system
That’s what i was thinking of. That is cool too. I got them confused thanks user

really like this
youtube.com/watch?v=K_saZvb0CQQ

i can think of a lot of albums that i would consider experimental but also catchy, but not in the exact vein of lighthearted indie pop that the unicorns made their music in. this is probably the closest i can get you. this is mac demarco's old band from before he went solo. definitely more off the wall than his solo material, sounds closest to rock n roll nightclub than anything else he made.
youtube.com/watch?v=WWxADeyHRCE

Attached: ying yang.jpg (1156x1123, 472K)

Since you liked Shpongle here are a couple more albums that I find exist in a similar psybient-pop-rock zone but with a little less electronic insanity (also highly recommend checking out more Shpongle, lots of good material that fits)
Hoopy Frood - Indigo
youtube.com/watch?v=Z96u3dR-9jc
Orchid-Star - Merge
youtube.com/watch?v=KiSc0n88rno
Hoopy Frood - Psychonaut
youtube.com/watch?v=SgTePmiSepY

Also more of a longshot but here's one that's more like classical-psybient-triphop(?)
Akara - The World Beyond
youtube.com/watch?v=VHjEnX-utPk

はにわちゃん – かなしばり

Attached: R-1708086-1238350914.jpeg.jpg (565x567, 96K)

All nice but I especially liked that first track you linked to so I'm for sure giving that a DL.
Actually got this just recently while trying to find interesting new Japanese groups. Great and would rec to anyone else who hasn't heard it ITT though.

youtube.com/watch?v=OPuQua_uZD4

I'm OP but just to contribute something as well, idk how well he/they're known but Momus kind of scratches that itch for me as well. Put an album up on mega for anyone who wants it.

youtube.com/watch?v=vBJe0DWFDYo
mega.nz/#F!IOwhEYjJ!df9li7RJPmBJ7wMPIG8ODA

Listening through atm and really liking it a lot. Lots of good recs ITT.

Attached: folder.png (500x500, 49K)

>when the OP actually takes the time to listen and respond to most reccs and keeps an open mind
gud thred

Attached: 1504348461712.jpg (117x125, 2K)

man, if only i hadn't listened to that album thousands of times and could hear it for the first time again, but yeah that's one that hits all those same marks for me.

D E V O

Icky Thump

Attached: IckyThump-1497554860-640x635.jpg (640x635, 135K)

lol wut