Kool Keith

Kool Keith blows any competition away from the 90s. Almost every album he's made is an absolute banger and way ahead of its time, but he gets no historical mention anywhere. What's your fave kool keith album?

Attached: 9713-black-elvis-lost-in-space.jpg (500x500, 80K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov_complexity
youtube.com/watch?v=Fq5ptpbzjTs
youtube.com/watch?v=UNZfnLh8T2U
youtube.com/watch?v=WAlPb_PM7To
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4115525/
youtube.com/watch?v=Pax_Qthn9YE
youtube.com/watch?v=-02dIeIfhQw
youtube.com/watch?v=KUgcR_kgSQI
youtube.com/watch?v=opb4nNxKLnU
youtube.com/watch?v=PkxST8BvMrs
youtu.be/66OQ-GPYfCE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

He is a very bad rapper IMO. I could explain why using theory but I'm too bored right now.

Explain your theory patrician

... he is also very pretentious.

Post your equation god

What separates a good Rapper from a bad Rapper is not the lyrics, but the flow. The flow is more important than the content.

A typical rap verse consists of a continuous delivery of words over 16-32 measures. Verses consist of a series of short phrases. How the phrases of a rap are set to the meter, what types of rhythms, and the number of syllables per line are all highly variable. Raps are structured by ‘sonic parallelisms’ both across and between phrases. ‘Sonic parallelism’ refers to the partial or complete repetition of aspects of the speech signal. The most obvious parallelisms in rap are rhymes, but other elements of speech can create notable parallels as well. To refer broadly to all sorts of ‘sonic parallelism’ in rap delivery I propose the term ‘chyme.’ Chyme can include phonemic parallels (i.e. rhyme), prosodic parallels (melodic/intonation figures), rhythmic parallels, and parallels involving timbral or articulatory effects

In many cases, rappers use chymes in a regular, predictable, manner creating clear "chyme schemes", or a "flow"

For instance, consider the opening eight measures of Eminem's “Drug Ballad” (pic related). The phrases in this passage are each one measure in length and are built around a three-part chyme scheme: A three-syllable end chyme landing on beat three (rhyme and rhythm), a syncopated anucrusis just before each down beat (rhythmic chyme), and a two-syllable chyme which answers the anucrusis chyme

Eminem is very good at manipulating his phrasing to make incredible chyme schemes, and that's what makes him a great Rapper. Being able to set his chyme scheme with "arms are heavy", "palms are sweaty", "mom's spaghetti", "calm and ready" etc.. all while playing with our expectations by making variations

On the other hand, Kool Keith, while he does make incredible use of literary devices, doesn't have a very good flow, and seems to just randomly put syllables in a bar

Attached: EminemDrugBallad.jpg (813x1608, 190K)

what you call "random" i call "complex"
and what you call "regular, predictable" i call "simple"
but it's cool that you notated the rhythm of a rap song. assuming (You) did that yourself and didn't just find that somewhere.

>what you call "random" i call "complex"
Explain how... How is the arrangement of syllables by Kool Keith on the meter complex? Explain.

>and what you call "regular, predictable" i call "simple"
Grooves aren't "simple", they are an important way to build the feeling of overall feeling of a song, and can be varied to play with your expectations.

I guess you find James Brown and Parliament Funkadelic simple too, and all artists who have ever used some form of ostinato in their songs.

>the feeling of overall feeling of a song
the overall feeling of a song*

this article explains complexity:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kolmogorov_complexity
basically if it's easy to become compressed, or repetitive, something is less complex.

you also don't mention that Kool Keith is worth $1 million and Eminem is worth $210 million. is eminem 210 times better than kool keith? no, so arguably kool keith is worth more of my attention.

listen to this: youtube.com/watch?v=Fq5ptpbzjTs

vordul's net worth is a few thousand. is jay-z 1000 times better than vordul mega? no, i don't think so. so arguably, it's more worth it to listen to vordul mega than jay-z.

some other good rappers that don't have that much money are big daddy kane, jaz-o, sole, doseone, and canibus. maybe ras kass too. but there are rappers (You) and I never heard of that have $50 in the bank account and are as good at rapping (or better than) as jay-z and eminem. maybe you and everyone else in this thread should listen to them more.

i don't want to listen to rappers worth more than $10 million for more than a couple hours. they have so much money they never need to worry about it, so they don't deserve my attention.

Kool Keith peaked on Critical Beatdown with one of the best rapping performances ever. Rest of his discography is hit and miss. Maybe like 3-4 great tracks on each. Rest samey and boring.
At his best he is amazing though. This is my alltime jam
youtube.com/watch?v=UNZfnLh8T2U
>Vordul Mega
>Jaz-O
>Sole
>Dosone
>Canibus
>Ras Kass
really?

james brown had a lot of money apparently. he doesn't need my attention.
george clinton had a couple million. i might listen to him some.
i'm not really into r&b. but maybe those guys were somewhat inventive or creative i don't know.
i don't like things that are dumbed down.

Great album

Attached: luvny.jpg (221x229, 6K)

those are just a few names. it's worth listening to a few of their albums once. which most people don't do, they just listen to eminem 100 times.
here's another song i like: youtube.com/watch?v=WAlPb_PM7To

This article use the example of fractals. Do you know what a fractal is? I know and I once tried to make some a few years ago when I was into computer science. But fractals are based on REPETITION AND RECURSION.

Anyway, music is also mostly based on repetitions. Just because you repeat rhythms through a track doesn't mean that your music isn't "complex", unless you think Travis Scott's "SICKO MODE" is more complex than Bach's "Passacaglia and Fugue in C minor" because Travis Scott use beat-switches and Bach based his composition on ostinato

And by the way, the music of Bach was full of fractal, and he used repetition a lot :
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4115525/

>you also don't mention that Kool Keith is worth $1 million and Eminem is worth $210 million. is eminem 210 times better than kool keith? no, so arguably kool keith is worth more of my attention.
I don't give a fuck about money, if you want to care about this then do as you will. I'm just talking about music.

>vordul's net worth is a few thousand. is jay-z 1000 times better than vordul mega? no, i don't think so. so arguably, it's more worth it to listen to vordul mega than jay-z.
I never said anything about money. Are you making an attempt at goal-post moving?

>some other good rappers that don't have that much money are big daddy kane, jaz-o, sole, doseone, and canibus. maybe ras kass too. but there are rappers (You) and I never heard of that have $50 in the bank account and are as good at rapping (or better than) as jay-z and eminem. maybe you and everyone else in this thread should listen to them more.
I know all of them except Doseone. Jaz-O, Big Daddy Kane, Sole are average Rappers. Canibus is above average. Ras Kass is average, but on a personal level I find him very pretentious and racist

if you listen to this, you'll notice that the flow's rhythm is very complex: youtube.com/watch?v=Pax_Qthn9YE
if you look at classical music, why aren't people making music like bach right now? they could be so why aren't they? does it have to appeal to people or be popular or make lots of money? maybe you might be listening to that but i won't

complex has something to do with difficult to transcribe. if something is very difficult to transcribe then it's usually complex.
fractals are cool but, the more complex something becomes, the more it sounds random or like static. what do you think of breeze brewin and sadat x, by the way? i'm enjoying this conversation

i also hesitate to post el-p because i don't think he's underrated but, that song is a decent example

also my last post for 15 minutes because i'm posting a lot. jaz-o, big daddy kane, and sole were above average when they came out and that has to count for something. also simple fractals like, say, the sierpinski triangle, can be described by a short equation
the wikipedia article says, "This image illustrates part of the Mandelbrot set fractal. Simply storing the 24-bit color of each pixel in this image would require 1.62 million bytes, but a small computer program can reproduce these 1.62 million bytes using the definition of the Mandelbrot set and the coordinates of the corners of the image. Thus, the Kolmogorov complexity of the raw file encoding this bitmap is much less than 1.62 million bytes in any pragmatic model of computation."

>Canibus is better than BDK
>Jaz-O is worth mentioning in any context
I dno about this guys

Fuck my pussy doctor

HOW TO MAKE A KOOL KEITH SONG:

1. loop some random notes on a bass synth

2. put a weird trebely thing in every measure

3. think of a title and repeat four times for the chorus

4. rap in a frantic, off beat style about giraffes, transvestites and how you can rap better than everyone else

I think we are having a misunderstanding. Note that I wasn't the first to use complex or make an argument about complexity(it was this post that started it), and I don't really like using this term usually when talking about music

For me it would be the ideas being explored to keep things interesting in a piece. I don't really care for complexity. What I care about are the feels expressed on a track and how well they are communicated. And in a Rap song I expect the Rapper to be able to, with his flow, make me feel something. I want to feel what he is saying not just because of the content of his word but how they are said.

Actually, you are right. BDK is better than Canibus. When I said Canibus I was thinking about Common. Sorry I didn't listen to these guys in a decade so a simple letter can confuse me. I don't like Canibus, and even less so K-Rino.

Good track. Love El-P.

>what do you think of breeze brewin and sadat x, by the way?
I honestly don't know these guys, but you know what? I'm going to listen to them and then give you my opinion.

>Kool Keith was the best rapper of the 90's
That's a bold statement. I love Octagon as much as the next guy but Sex Style is trash and I remember both First Come and Black Elvis being 70 minute slogs.
I should revisit all his early solo stuff though.

Not him but Breeze is amazing. Check out Prince Paul's debut album where he plays the main character. It's like a rap opera.
youtube.com/watch?v=-02dIeIfhQw
Check out 'The Official Space Tape'. It's a nice compilation of his best work.

there are very few guys transcribing hip hop music and i've talked to one of them whose initials are "mc", who you might know or have heard of.
i have listened to a lot of rap music, and am intelligent, which means something to me. i'm not promoting myself because i am anonymous here.
i like intelligent discussions about hip hop but i'm afraid there aren't that many, and a lot of them come from corporations whose purpose is to make money, not respect art. i've read every post on every blog i know of that discusses hip hop in an intelligent manner. if you know any really good blogs about hip hop or just really good blogs in general (changing the topic from music, i hope this is fine) then link me.
i don't care about feelings that much. i like to learn and explore ideas. or at least that's what i tell myself
luckily i have listened to a lot of sadat x and breeze brewin (several albums each) and here are some standout tracks
youtube.com/watch?v=KUgcR_kgSQI
youtube.com/watch?v=opb4nNxKLnU

>Sex Style is trash

Attached: 1539802970299.jpg (750x1199, 82K)

Retard

Attached: 885603CA-F446-431B-9680-24C6972FB767.gif (256x368, 1.94M)

BIG TIME

content matters, it's just that it's not as easy to transcribe as rhythm and it'll require computer technology and ai, and at that point computer generated rap that completely blows away human rap could be produced.

or "hip hop" whatever

This ain't the Grammy awards, ass-tight tuxedos
Niggas are phony, tryin to act like my peoples
TV stars, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson
Her brother Michael, feelin babies for some rectum action
Niggas like Al Green, you can't trust Little Richard
Little bitchard
Girls today slept with Rock Hudson
The NBA - your favorite ballplayer's turnin gay
Girls go nut, get attracted havin wild sex
In big mansions, Hollywood's unsafe sex
Sniffin coke, movie stars roll in fly cars