OFFICIAL IDM RENAME THREAD

Alright Yea Forums, we all hate the name. “Intelligent dance music”. Revolting. Pretentious. Elitist. Annoying.

It’s now up to you to decide the new name, and whichever is the most popular is what we are going to call it from now until forever.

Well Yea Forums? What do you think it should be renamed to?

Attached: 320E395D-499B-443C-AD10-5AB90E3D7358.png (322x527, 155K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=FByEMKLcIYk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

How about “technoise”

Sophisticated Electronic Music

SEM

The fans can call themselves "SEMen".

nu-electronica

Idm is fine

Basedtronica

FTM, fedora tipping music

Avant-Garde Electronica

north face-core

Restore the original and best name: "electronic listening music".

Attached: R-549-1130111648.jpeg.jpg (480x480, 52K)

Irrelevant Diarrhea Music

Prog electronic.
You're welcome.

It’s just not very danceable to me. Like Boards of Canada is IDM? Aphex Twin? The term doesn’t describe what it is. EDM describes the type of music it is perfectly, EDM is
>electronic
>dance
>music
IDM is only a correct label in that IDM is music. It’s not more “intelligent” and it’s definitely not danceable. Possible alternatives
>ELM (Electronic Listening Music)
While it doesn’t roll off the tounge with that hard D sound, it is a pretty apt description of what IDM is. It can also be pronounced “elm”
>Post-EDM
While this does still have the word dance in it, the connotation here is more like “post-punk” (which is not punk music) or “post-rock” (which is not rock music). The only issue with this phrase is that EDM is still a pretty big thing, so it doesn’t make a ton of sense to say a bunch of artists are “post” EDM (post-punk came after punk had died down even though a punk revival happened later, and post-rock is popular now with rock at its lowest point. Even though bands like the Velvet Underground were post-rock when rock was flourishing, they were not a huge success like IDM bands are).
>Abstract EDM or Ambient EDM
While these also use the term “dance,” the signifiers of Abstract/Abient do clarify that this is just a differing type of music that grew out of EDM (similar to the above phrase Post-EDM). The only issue it has is not every IDM band is ambient or even abstract, even if it is a lot
I can’t find a perfect phrase for this, but I would say every single term I came up with is better than IDM

Wait, I thought I just came up with that. Is that a real term? If so definitely bring it back, I thought I was being very original

SO FAR “ELECTRONIC LISTENING MUSIC” IS IN THE LEAD FOLKS LET’S SEE WHERE PUBLIC OPINION GOOEEESSSS

post-electronic

Aphex Twin core

hi brainlet

pretty good

Braindance

Attached: IMG_20190323_104754.png (1080x1268, 210K)

these are the best but I don't know which is best

braindance sounds cheesy

intricate dance music

bump

Psychedelic EDM, Psychedelic Techno, Psychedelectronica.

introvert dunce music

great
no

Seems it's pretty unanimous this is the best name. We should actually start using it.

this is great
nah it shouldn't include the word "dance" at all.

alterantive dance music

IDM is older than "EDM"

Introverted Dance Music.

What about something with "leftfield" in it?
This is the most boring, but is actually pretty fitting and sticks to popular music taxonomy

abstract electro

Let an ageing Joe Strummer tell you where it's at.

youtube.com/watch?v=FByEMKLcIYk

honestly this

this desu

worse than edm

I dig these

I like it, and it contrasts well with Electronic Body Music

dance music for people that don't actually dance they just listen to 'dance' music while walking around urban areas at 4am

Progressive electronic is already an established genre, so this is just dumb.

yes

Electronica

How about Intricate Dance Music? Lot's of IDM is
set aside from EDM by being intricate and complex.

even worse

I for one am going to change the IDM in my library to ELM.

BBDM
big boy dance music

IDM is not a genre
Its a meaningless term with no correlation

You only use it because it makes you think the bleeps are superior to raver chads and sluts

Attached: 1552304759210.png (960x1424, 79K)

Now i think this is the best one yet. Although not every IDM band is intricate, like Boards of Canada. But i never really knew why they were called idm in the first place

Secretivedickheadscore

I find it amusing that you disliked that.

that's the most vague name ever how is that better in any way

>Pretentious. Elitist. Annoying.
great description then

PEAM it is.

internal dance music

>Revolting. Pretentious. Elitist. Annoying.

Imagine being triggered by a genre name.

Attached: 1552746493991.jpg (750x737, 41K)

>Goldie

techno

Attached: cute doggy.png (695x735, 987K)

/thread

>Revolting. Pretentious. Elitist. Annoying.

Attached: ohfkr4ijoo601.jpg (1280x960, 185K)

Attached: you did it.jpg (439x104, 21K)

honestly not bad. My vote is electronic listening music though. It's the only one that encapsulates all the various styles that are grouped under idm.

AKA anything you want that makes you feel superior to normies

cuntstep

AKA you have some weird complex about idm. There's nothing elitist about the name electronic listening music. Sad man.

It means nothing.

Feel free to provide the correlation within the genre that encapsulates all these artists though.

Samefag

brainlets and NPCs hate IDM.
poor simpleminded plebs can't into Squarepusher and based Aphex.

notice how this generation is EDM instead.

samefag

I'm the post above you and it was the only post I made itt, hence why the IP count went up (trust me when I say I don't care enough to samefag this thread).
I just wanted to make fun of people who can't handle the term IDM because it makes them feel inadequate mentally, since they don't get the music. it flies right over their dumb heads.
which I'd imagine is why you're getting all worked up and paranoid.

anyway, I vote for ELM too.

What's wrong with calling it IDM?

It’s already braindance, it’s not because it’s “brainy dance music” or dance for braniacs, it’s becasue it makes your brain feel like it’s dancing

I always called it braindance

>most vague name ever
It's the most vague genre ever, so it fits.

>It means nothing.
It means electronic music that's not designed for dancing to.

bollocks

The quality of discussion on this board if people just learned the differences between techno, house, breaks, trance, garage and downtempo would improve 10fold

nah, thats ambient

This. Even Richard said that IDM as a genre is fucking garbage.

But that just makes it the opposite of EDM, and there's a shitload of electronic music that's not IDM that's not designed for dancing either, so that would make it even more vague and confusing.

Call it art techno or some shit like that.

Best ones imo. I like how internal dance music conveys the same thing as braindance but without the risk of perceived pretentious connotation

Vaguely defined. Ambient has the drums vs no drums debate, but nowhere near the variety of "IDM".

it's more than just drums vs no drums though, to me it would seem "ambient" and "IDM" have a lot of overlap and both awkwardly attempt to house tons of divergent styles

bump

Richard who

who fuckin cares lmoa

at least 48 people