How to best use my talent?

I can sing pretty well. I've brought people to tears a few times with my singing. I have a lot of people urging me not to let my talent go to waste.

I'd kind of like to make my own music on the side, but I'm not confident enough with my lyric writing to put it out there.

I tried busking once. Only people who actually paid the slightest attention were other buskers.

Wat do?

Attached: 1551837356147.png (500x613, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7evbMAtGI&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this meme made me cringe

have sex

pic unrelated btw

make trap music like bladee

I'm in a similar position.

Honestly just give up. It's just not worth the effort. It takes an otherworldly amount of talent and/or luck to make anything out of being a singer/songwriter. If you choose the alternative then you risk a life of languishing in relative mediocrity within a masturbatory scene of other similar unremarkable but determined "artists".

If you must, then continue honing your craft but only in private. Any outside appraisals of your work should be purely incidental and unsolicited. Abandoning all ambition is the only path towards fulfillment.

>I can sing pretty well. I've brought people to tears a few times with my singing. I have a lot of people urging me not to let my talent go to waste.

I feel like this means your a awful singer
and they just like [you] as a person

I mean, I'm mostly just looking at it as a side thing. I maybe should have mentioned this, but I'm happily working as an engineer. I'm not looking to do music for anything significant. At the most, a side hobby that might make a couple bucks on a rare occasion, and makes me more than just "that guy who only talks about his work".

don't overthink lyrics, the best music comes from the feels

I won an "Exemplary Musician's Award" at a State Solo Ensemble in High School. Also had a lead part in the school's musical that year.

My parents literally make me give performances at family reunions, etc.

>My parents literally make me give performances at family reunions, etc.

Drake gets me.

post a vocaroo and let strangers judge you

the fact that you view it in such a banal utilitarian light is a sign that you're already too far gone. so do whatever you want who cares.

Just keep honing your craft and put stuff out there when you think it's halfway decent.

If people consistently praise and are moved by your singing, you probably have actual talent.

Also, there are a lot of routes to go - can be a backup or studio vocalist, or even a songwriter if you get good enough. Doesn't have to just be you as a front and center performer to turn it into a career.

Oh didn't see this. Yeah if you really don't care about it becoming a career or have any real passion for it then fuck it. Who cares?

Worst case scenario your ego is a little bruised and you go back to your fulfilling day job.

this

hardwork > talent

any day

That's not what I was getting at. And the fact that you think there's any difference between hardwork and talent just shows you're as much of a pleb as op.

Wouldn't say it's not a passion. Just not my main thing.

do it op

Yeah, then don't overthink it. Just do it and see what happens.

I don't have a vocaroo, and it's after 1am right now. I'd prefer not to wake up my roommate.

That said, I do have a recording I made the other day. Just me singing some Irish songs in the car on my drive home. Not my best singing, but it's far from my worst.

I have it uploading to youtube (private video). I'll post it in ~10 minutes when it's done.

there is a mile of difference between talent and hardwork you faggot

do you know how much kickstarters fizzled because they had a bunch of talent but didn't have the hardwork?

lol

youtube.com/watch?v=eJ7evbMAtGI&feature=youtu.be

Not my best singing, but not my worst.

90% of known bands/artists are not otherworldly talented

alright it was decent

but think about your market user

your obviously irish right? so just by singing this song your fighting a stacked deck on all the greatest irish bar tunes

how do you see yourself as an artist? do you even WANT to sing this old timey crap?

if you want to get serious heed my advice and buy a boom mic or a pop filter to get rid of all the garbage background noise

> market

It was just stuff I had on my phone at the time. Considered posting it somewhere for St. Patty's day, but decided against that.

Irish bar tunes aren't really the kind of music I'd make. The stuff I listen to primarily is a mix of Tom Waits, Nick Cave, John Prine, and a bunch of random other stuff, like prog metal, ska, and folk.

> get a better mic
Recorded it in my car, really low effort recording. I wouldn't consider that a quality recording.

best foot forward user

if you want to sing ska and prog then do it

learning to be a musician takes a lot these days and you will have to learn multiple skills to be successful

try learning photoshop for making album covers or an editing software because nobody wants to listen to a 7min song nowadays with ~20 secs of blank time

this is a long path and stuff the record companies used to do for you don't happen anymore

all the new trap rappers all are self taught and do everything themselves

wow, this is pretty good for just messing around. I'm no vocals expert but I like it.

based answer

is this your normal vocal range? it sounds like falsetto.

talent exists. but it is negligible in the long run

it doesn't have to be all or nothing. though trying to 'make it' is a cursed dream. any aspirations which are primarily based around being famous or rich are cursed. you will suffer for them. but many artists have an underground following, (in the thousands to tens of thousands) which bring them happiness.

don't overthink it. just record stuff and put it out, and slowly hone your skills and work on what's lacking. life is too chaotic to try to control for any variable, or 'plan' your life out in a granular fashion.