How does autechre, boards of canada or burial make a living...

How does autechre, boards of canada or burial make a living? we know 99% of revenue from an artist comes from live sets and they never do that... so? no way they can make a living from releasing an album ever 5 years

Attached: ppwoa.jpg (300x300, 12K)

you never hear about it but most well known artists that aren't pop or rappers live in a precarious situation. they're never more than like a few thousand dollars from everything going to shit

idk maybe that is enough for them and they live within their means
or maybe they have boring day jobs that don't matter w/r/t their art

p sure they must do side jobs like movie/game/advertising music and production for other people.

streaming and licensing can provide a bit of additional passive income

they sell a lot of records and tour more than you think

this
they probably help other people on their projects

Autechre tours and their shows sell out, very dedicated fan base, I'm sure they do fine, they also release stuff pretty frequently that's not just their actual full albums. Burial, I dunno. BoC, I bet has day jobs sadly. Would be interested in more perspectives from anons who know more about artists in this kind of niche.

a lot of them just work shit jobs on the side or just kind of have tenuous situations. Some have nice jobs and they have a pretty sweet deal with their ability to cordon time in it. It's just the reality of things. Or they're still young and have osmotic living conditions between friends and family.

It's always a weird situation but some have it rather good, it makes enough to pay the label expectation off and can maybe swing living together. I've heard it six other ways one side of the country to the other.

you never hear about the most prevalent stereotype of what an artist's life is?

No way, boc and burial never tour.

If they had day jobs wouldnt it have leaked already by some asshole?

>wouldnt it have leaked
boc are pretty good at being secretive at least
also they both have spouses so maybe they don't even need day jobs. spouse is main breadwinner and they provide sporadic income

yeah but you assume if an artist is as well established as Boards of Canada or Autechre that they'd be stable somehow. fact is almost none of them are

Because maybe they're not as important as you think and that all you actually know of these people is through the internet and 99% of others the same due to the amount of all of these esoteric and less-than-100k streams month these people are?

im pretty sure aphex twin a millionaire

the rest must be struggling or living a decent life

They probably have rich patrons.

boards of canada works at the burger king near the library in montreal. i always bully him and tell the managers he fucked up my order when i go there haha

This makes me want to be anonymously internet famous. Too bad I work 50+ hours a week so I don't have time to make music.

Pretty sure BOC comes from a rich family. They had awesome synths when teens

you people are fucking clueless lol

Then why not tell us what actually is happening then, user? No need to be purposefully disdainful or cryptic when you clearly have the answer.

inb4 sneed

Inform us. Please.

dude I think about this all the time. Like Jai Paul. He's photographed like once every 3 years so he doesn't have some public job. What the FUCK does he do all day to make a living!?

>inb4 sneed
Goddamn I haven’t frequented Yea Forums in a few years, is sneedposting a thing here?

It's becoming a choice of shitposter and shithead alike-- much like the based and redpilled posting as well.

They come from money.
They've made a lot of money from album sales.
From there it's pretty easy to "retire" and live off passive income as long as you're not living an extravagant lifestyle.

bump

Those synths they use were cheap as fuck back in a day.