What's the appeal of punk music to (you)? It's the only genre that consistently makes me cringe...

What's the appeal of punk music to (you)? It's the only genre that consistently makes me cringe. Mostly due to the vocal style.
youtube.com/watch?v=zrYivf-aI1Q

Attached: 1550640537613.jpg (905x881, 266K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr4MJ7C1Yw
youtube.com/watch?v=TezpM7B9QnE
youtube.com/watch?v=QfNrfWX-mQk
youtu.be/oTJyg0VyBMU
youtu.be/gc0och2Q_zg
youtu.be/bAg_wrZZkcw
youtube.com/watch?v=aZAxW4fpBAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PhMvC0i7xcE
youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0uEXLbvOk
youtube.com/watch?v=BYxR7VJKg74
youtube.com/watch?v=mGFMvEkWbzQ
youtube.com/watch?v=d9DUqjNMZ60
youtube.com/watch?v=nGLjxwjYGnM
youtube.com/watch?v=e-lxEakYkVo
youtube.com/watch?v=1Tlwf9A1ivc
youtube.com/watch?v=UCCyoocDxBA
youtube.com/watch?v=p4HrX-vdr9o
youtube.com/watch?v=2wq7RkRABQI
youtube.com/watch?v=pxQMFwDZc8w
youtube.com/watch?v=lcJTVPtbddY
m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlPdL34DKvE
youtube.com/watch?v=NL-sX36SJvc
youtube.com/watch?v=EO0mIXGkxvk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>makes a thread about punk
>post propagandhi
yeah dude that's some poser shit

youtube.com/watch?v=Ozr4MJ7C1Yw

not sure desu. punk is energy. its exciting. when done right it seems more honest and pure than almost any other genre (except maybe good soul or r&b). i dont think the band you posted is that bad. but i would probably go with q or acrylics as an example of good punk here:

youtube.com/watch?v=TezpM7B9QnE

youtube.com/watch?v=QfNrfWX-mQk

my bad i thought you posted this song
in that case, yeah you're not listening to punk that's like whiny political pop punk. i dont like that shit either. i think it mostly just appeals to like 15 year olds

well if you wanted me to bite congrats.
I enjoy the rawness and the viciousness of it.

youtu.be/oTJyg0VyBMU
youtu.be/gc0och2Q_zg
youtu.be/bAg_wrZZkcw
youtube.com/watch?v=aZAxW4fpBAQ
youtube.com/watch?v=PhMvC0i7xcE
youtube.com/watch?v=XZ0uEXLbvOk

What is this whining american college boy shit ?

poser shit for edgy 13 year old girls that want to piss off daddy but are too scared to get pregnant

Fun live shows.

The older I get the less I vibe with new bands coming out though. Everything seems derivative. The scene is incredibly saturated.

>What's the appeal of punk music to (you)?

It's open to certain musical possibilities to express anger, frustration, hostility, and other confrontational and aggressive feelings that you won't find in many genres. It has veins that explore this through technical musicianship and some that accept their lack of technical chops to reach the same ends. Both have their ups and downs. Here's a couple of both veins at their best:

youtube.com/watch?v=BYxR7VJKg74
youtube.com/watch?v=mGFMvEkWbzQ

There's an immediacy and urgency in it that you can find in a lot of other genres that want to make extreme statements. Metal has a lot of macho posturing that gets in the way, the experimental noise and power electronics are too pretentious and interested in revolting people instead of connecting with them.

This sounds like sum41 but without the self awareness that it’s for kids

Punk contains RAC and oi!, the most life-affirming anti-s.oy genres in Western 'popular' music, therefore punk is good (except the shitty kind)

I only enjoy the first wave of 70s punk, and post-punk. I think those are the only real punk genres, and everything else is just LARPing.

>not sure desu. punk is energy. its exciting. when done right it seems more honest and pure than almost any other genre (except maybe good soul or r&b)
Go to bed Cuckgau.

poser

By that logic, how is 80s post-punk not LARPing, then? Pere Ubu were doing that shit in the mid 70s, krautrock was doing it in the early 70s, and Captain Beefheart was arguably doing something like it in the 60s.

all these late 70s postpunk bands like This Heat and PiL get called revolutionary for ripping off at-the-time decade old avant-garde music, and yet straight up punk bands who formed a cunt hair after 1980 get called fakes for remotely sounding like some band that was around 2 years before them. I really don't get it.

No that's just because you're no longer 13 and have outgrown punk.

it goes well when playing a skateboarding game, apart from that it's really shit

I still enjoy the stuff I grew up on, it's just newer stuff I don't care for as much because it sounds exactly like what has come countless times before.

>early 00s corporate mall punk designed to sell Tony Hawk t-shirts to 12 year olds
>punk rock
Pick uno.

“Punk” as a whole image/scene is cringe, bluepilled, gay and unmusical, but aggressive, simple rock music is alright, and in fact, often quite based. Most of my favorite “punk” type music is from the 1960s, when it was called “garage rock” by cringelord junkies like Lester Bangs.

>“Punk” as a whole image/scene is cringe, bluepilled, gay and unmusical
Thank you for enlightening us as to why it's beloved of so-called "rock critics".

Rock criticism itself is cringe, bluepilled, gay and unmusical.

I'll always love Black Flag, but they weren't political and they could actually play guitar.

How in the hell are propagandhi posers? You probably think Misfits are real punk.

shut the fuck up poser

I read Christgau's review of "The Decline of Western Civilization: The Punk Years" and of course he had to get in the obligatory dig at those darned Europeans ("Zere is no such thing as French rock and roll").

>How in the hell are propagandhi posers? You probably think Misfits are real punk.
cringe
I dedicate this song to (you)
youtube.com/watch?v=d9DUqjNMZ60

i enjoyed punk music when i was a 13yo loser who got no pussy and thought jean vests were cool.
then by the time i was 16 i graduated to 90s rap which embodies many of the youthful spirit and anti-establishment message carried in punk, but is sonically and lyrically superior in every way.

i've been to punk rock bowling in vegas so don't @ me if your fragile feelings are hurt.

>Using the term poser beyond middle school

Yikes

For me it was the opposite. I started off with 90s rap but eventually got into punk and that got me laid.

i like punk and this shit makes me cringe too

most lefty/political punk is fucking awful

start with pop punk and go from there honestly. sum 41, blink 182, green day, fallout boy, mcr, the distillers etc

from there move on to some early uk or us stuff with clean vocals, misfits cut throat etc.

or try some russian shit

youtube.com/watch?v=nGLjxwjYGnM
youtube.com/watch?v=e-lxEakYkVo

The fact that you’re all debating “authenticity” (?) and bragging about how (dis)/liking the “right” music will get you laid is exactly why this whole “scene” is unmusical bullshit.

>sum 41, blink 182, green day, fallout boy, mcr, the distillers etc misfits

This is like every 13 year old girls CD collection from 2006 lol awesome punk my man my chemical romance is real punk not like that cringe leftist shit am I right

but you sound 13yo with this bs. seriously need to grow up young blood

That's true of just about any music genre. Gate keeping exists in anything.

Yeah man gotta grow up and listen to emo music from 2009 lol

spoken like a true poser

i was actually asserting that punk will not get you laid more than likely but rap is the superior genre.

While punk had a nice little run in the late 70s by calling the Queen a fascist and all that, at the end of the day, metal satisfied most white teens' need for rebellion and just plain sounded better.

most "real" punk sounds like fucking garbage, id rather listen to something thats actually enjoyable than some nofx fanboy faggot whining about homophobia

tell me honestly which of these songs is more enjoyable to listen to

youtube.com/watch?v=1Tlwf9A1ivc
youtube.com/watch?v=UCCyoocDxBA

punk is dead
long live powerviolence
youtube.com/watch?v=p4HrX-vdr9o

idk regular punk rock, even the hailed ones like minor threat and stuff is extremely boring to me. it all sounds the same. but its basically the appeal of it, no intricacy, just in your face.

i really like a lot of post-punk though, and i find myself enjoying the more "punk" parts when done by a more detailed-oriented guy.

you can wear my nuts on your nazi chins lmao this faggot has never met a real nazi though this is the definition of a poser shock pop

Not him, but post-punk isn't considered LARPing because the first wave of post-punk was literally made up of members of the first wave of punk. There's a direct relation to the first wave of punk, so it feels authentic.

its especially funny when you see what they actually look like

2 basedboys, some old fat boomer and a mutt girl from some shithole town in canada singing about pwning neo nazi skinheads xd

Attached: mus_propagandhi3_2510.jpg (1200x800, 178K)

Yeah those bands were the punk equivalent of Poison and Trixter.

lol everyone in this thread is gay and butthurt except me because im cool like that

youtube.com/watch?v=2wq7RkRABQI

My chemical romance is not punk or punk rock you absolute retard lol.

I'll take neither.

Wow what is this whiny poser shit? listen to real punk like avril lavigne and green day and 5 seconds of summer

Green Day were real punk when they were playing in a garage in Berkeley. Everything after that...

>Green Day were real punk when they were playing in a garage in Berkeley

Attached: cumm.gif (326x192, 41K)

pop punk is a subgenre of punk, get over it

Especially when fucks like Cuckgau who never picked up a guitar in their life declared themselves the gatekeepers of what is and isn't "punk".

Mcr are not pop punk.

lol you big dumb dumb no know what punk is all dez fags takin lik punk is assthetic or politics lol fuckin poop faces i swear

youtube.com/watch?v=pxQMFwDZc8w

Lyl implying they were ever hard. If they were, they wouldn't have gone chasing after the vaunted dream of playing arenas and on the sound system at Gap.

Omg what a bunch of posers listen to real punk like good Charlotte and simple plan

>pop punk is a subgenre of punk, get over it

Attached: A1898484.png (625x717, 140K)

rym: Pop Punk, Alternative Rock, Post-Hardcore, Emo-Pop, Pop Rock, Emo
wikipedia: Alternative rock emo pop punk post-hardcore punk rock
last fm: rock alternative punk rock emo alternative rock punk
you: NOO THEYRE NOT REAL PUNK REEEE

>they wouldn't have gone chasing after the vaunted dream of playing arenas
*stadiums

lol good charlotte more like gay amiright
youtube.com/watch?v=lcJTVPtbddY

It's easy to beat up Green Day for being sellouts but inevitably any group who turns out to be good at writing songs and melodies is headed for bigger things. Nirvana wouldn't have gotten on MTV if Cobain wasn't good looking and knew how to write songs with hooks.

Yeah but at least Kurt Cobain actually took his own life when he realized he was selling out the punk ideals he believed in. Not many guys are willing to die for their art.

>Yeah but at least Kurt Cobain actually took his own life when he realized he was selling out the punk ideals he believed in. Not many guys are willing to die for their art.

Attached: download.jpg (300x200, 10K)

>Yeah but at least Kurt Cobain actually took his own life when he realized he was selling out the punk ideals he believed in. Not many guys are willing to die for their art.

Attached: gayisyou.png (232x217, 8K)

Their one album had some pop punk influences but you need meds if you think that WHEN I WAS and their other albums is punk rock

Love to listen to my favorite punk bands my chemical romance and the foo fighters. No poser shit.

>Their one album
>their other albums

youve convinced me, great points

>“Punk” as a whole image/scene is cringe, bluepilled, gay and unmusical
IDK you used to have bands like Sloppy Seconds and 80s RHCP who were good time fun party/frat music. Punk doesn't always have to be soi/feminist.

Maybe he should have thought about that before he signed to Geffen and agreed to shoot music videos. Nah fuck you and fuck Kurt Cocaine.

Red hot chili peppers is another great punk band like my chemical romance and linkin park

Oh don't mind me I don't want to get in the way of your avril lavigne and no doubt and my chemical romance punk rock records.

>RHCP

that's the dumbest fucking thing I've ever read

>RHCP
>punk
Dude wut? They were never punk, they're fascist fratbro cockrock shit who view women as meat.

avril lavinge is ok too, not my favorite tho. she has some great singles but her full albums are mostly filler

theres no appeal my friend. it's not a good genre

>linkin park
Papercut has a lot more genuine angst than cucked political garbage like NOFX.

they arent punk no but rhcp mcr and linkin park are unironically better than every "real" punk band

For me its Crust Punk, punk in its purest, angriest, most pissed of form.

Attached: Doom.jpg (654x653, 38K)

m.youtube.com/watch?v=VlPdL34DKvE

>REEEEEEEEEEEEEE: the genre

Weezer is my favorite punk band because they're not libtard soi feminazis

>they arent punk no but
What thread are you posting in. Get out of here with your Nickleback and Disturbed

>they're fascist fratbro cockrock shit who view women as meat.

Attached: d90.png (644x800, 15K)

Shouting is fine too.

Attached: sweden 1.png (1004x700, 274K)

Wow what is this poser shit. Real punk is red hot chili peppers, my chemical romance, avril lavigne, and metallica

since when is punk seen as a leftist genre?

they would call themselves The Dictators and dress up as Nazis and call their concerts "Special Extermination Night" on flyers covered in Swastikas and write songs called "Final Solution" but now they're leftists?

what

Cockrock nonsense has never been part of punk. Any punk gig worth their salt will result in you swiftly getting your ass beat if you ask girls in the audience to flash their tits or you start groping random girls in the pit.

I'd imagine this is how "real" punk bands go through members

one member of a punk band: Alright guys we definitely got the angst part of our music down but when do we write some good tunes?

Rest of the band: HAHAHAHA get out poser

It wasn't supposed to have any set ideology but guys like Cuckgau wielded a lot of influence in the 70s-80s and used it to ensure only bands with politics they approved of got promoted.

groping is bad yeah no shit but asking all the girls in the crowd to flash their tits what actually is wrong with that? If they dont want to they wont

punk has been gay lefty shit since the 1980s

Attached: 716fa9838bce44315b22d17a7a70b773.jpg (650x611, 40K)

It's irony directed towards the Reagan and Thatcher regimes you absolute retard. Jonathan swift wasn't actually arguing that cannibalism is good.

I mean Blink 182 always used to have that gimmick where Tom would ask all the girls to flash at once.

Epic. Go back to drinking Coors light while listening to Rush.

>Epic. Go back to drinking Coors light while listening to Rush.
I've enever been able to take Geddy's voice, so no.

yeah there is nothing wrong with this

Not according to the bands themselves, who often formed and had their Nazi fascinations before Reagan was elected. The Electric Eels and Pere Ubu are on record saying they were doing it only to piss off their parents and didn't care about politics at all.

But it's easy to invent revisionism when you didn't even know which bands I was referencing ;)

And no one outside of MTV considered commercial pop punk to be punk. They were just pop.

Yep, Blink 182 is another great punk act.

More like it's easy for you to create your own narrative when not naming any specific bands.

That's not true in the slightest. Why are punks so obsessed with rewriting history and trying to forge some grand narrative about their pure and humble artform that the evil Green Days were never truly part of their epic punk crowds.

Yeah, MxPx, NOFX, Rancid, Offspring (pre-Smash), AFI, etc. were NEVER actually considered punk lmao

Wait, didn't Tom DeLonge claim Liam Gallagher was the most punk dude ever?

Avril lavigne. Blink 182. Good Charlotte. The trifecta of punk.

its fast and straightforward and emotional and cathartic

DURHURRR Actually writing songs with a memorable melody or something? that stuffs for posers. might as well be pop at that point!

>le alien conspiracy man

I literally just named them. There are names right there. Electric Eels, Pere Ubu, I even named the Dictators originally. You could add in Mirrors and the Voidoids as well as the Dead Boys if you want.

>That's not true in the slightest. Why are punks so obsessed with rewriting history and trying to forge some grand narrative about their pure and humble artform that the evil Green Days were never truly part of their epic punk crowds.
They were about as "legitimate" punks as Billy Idol and you see how he went and sucked MTV's dick for money and radio play.

They were absolutely considered punk by the vans warped tour and the 16 year old girls who went there to sp3nd their parents money like at any other by band concert.

Forgot. Goo Goo Dolls. Another band of traitors who are forever excised from the annals of punk.

Oh okay I didn't know that punk was just five bands.

Don't forget Bowling For Soup.

Even Fall Out Boy were punks originally. There's nothing special about the term, and MxPx are obviously legit punks, you'd have to actively be ignorant and stupid to argue otherwise.

They mostly pre-exist the Vans Warped Tour and were often on compilations like this. But your point is facts and reality, it's virtue signalling to the other punks to show what a real, legit tough guy punk you are. It's sad af in 2019 on the internet. Like, who cares? The were punks too, did you grow a vagina from acknowledging that fact?

Attached: 220px-Punk-O-Rama_cover[1].jpg (220x220, 16K)

Going to listen to my favorite punk band Kid Rock because he's not a communist and he makes rockin tunes!

You want an exhaustive list for a discussion on Yea Forums? Jesus, maybe they are a bunch of leftists because you sound like a snowflake cuckold.

>They mostly pre-exist the Vans Warped Tour and were often on compilations like this

But the majority of their career was MTV and the warped tour.

Someone on the internet actually suggested at one point in time that punks listened to music, and I'm some a badass hardcore punkold that I want to clear up this misconception. We hammered heroin needles in our ears and didn't need any faggy notes or melodies or lyrics ever. I'm such a stud and cool dude and everyone on the internet really is impressed by me

You think at the same rate as a child watching Dora the Explorer.

Take it easy paul Joseph Watson. Punk rock was always overwhelmingly leftist because of how conservative and shitty the 70s and 80s were.

Nope. You're pulling shit from your ass.

Why would anyone listen to this more than once? It's pretty much like a whiny hipster faggot is reading his shitty speech to me while bad unfinished melodies are playing in the back.

All punk songs sound the same.

Hey remember all those pro Thatcher bands those were great huh

I remember overwhelming leftist punk band Bad Brains that beat the shit out of Jayne County because they hate queers. Obviously, it was ironic queerbashing.

Attached: i-deliberatley-entered-a-thread-full-of-things-that-i-28308860.png (500x460, 25K)

Watch "This is Britain," you can hate Thatcher and still be a massively conservative scumbag.

Rocker here
Punk is shit and belongs on mars

Attached: judaspriest.jpg (1920x1152, 217K)

UK punk is afootnote, and one that had its share of fascists and nazis too. Why did the Dead Kennedys have to write "Nazi Punks Fuck Off" is there's no Nazi punks?

I remember when they beat the shit out of skinheads that was epic keks.

If there weren't any fascist Nazi punks, then why did that band Suicide constantly get attacked by fascist Nazi punks? Did there music cause them to materialize in the venues?

Of course there were some. But its hilarious to see conservatives trying to wriggle and squirm while trying to enjoy a predominantly liberal or leftist music genre. There's always shitty skrewdriver if dead Kennedy's or propagandhi made you upset

seems fair enough since you autists feel the need to jump in any pop punk discussion to "inform" everyone in a 4 block radius that it's not "real punk"

>uhh it was actually Nazis who invented Punk, checkmate libtards!

Based

>faries wear boots
Punks and skinheads are both faries

Attached: BlackSabbath77.jpg (680x510, 269K)

>mostly due to the vocal style
And like half of metal stuff doesn't put you off? At least with punk there isn't any putting on airs like there is with a lot of the over-stylized metal stuff (obviously metal is complex but I'm talking about the kind that is unnaturally guttural and styled to where it is just ridiculous)

Punk started out as a reaction to the complacency, and now this reaction itself has become complacent in itself, and consists at best of people who learned from or were influenced by the approach and/or style and used it as a creative building block, and at its worst it is done out of imitation and trend/aesthetic.

People of many ideologies have been drawn to punk. Wow, what a fucking crazy thing to say on the internet nowadays, something measured and reflective of reality. It's not all one or the other, and that's totally fine.

Suicide literally invented punk, provided that that uncitated bit on their wikipedia page is factual

I think its because as rediculous as metal vocals get at least they are stylized and refined and heavily practiced to sound like that where as a lot of punk sounds like they have been yelling in a mic their friends garage with about 2 months experience

The number one defense for cookie monster vocals is that it actually takes a lot of practice and technical skill to master

Hardcore Punk vocals have no such defense, it's literally just yelling

>at least they are stylized and refined and heavily practiced
yeah but at the end of the day it just sounds like a guy doing a stupid edgy voice, even Residents' cartoony talking vocals are better than that and even a person that can't even sing screaming in their friend's mic in a garage sounds better than that. Even "sound" aside, if you're talking about cringe here then with all of these examples metal takes the cake as the cringiest.

>The number one defense for cookie monster vocals is that it actually takes a lot of practice and technical skill to master

So what? If it sounds like shit as it does, then you just wasted a lot of time to learn how to technically sound like shit.

>it's literally just yelling
which is why it's better than cookie monster vocals, it's less full of itself. Assuming it's not someone that is unaware of how they actually sound and how they sound in relation with the music, punk is better in this regard

post punk music you are listening to that lead you guys to have this stance

The song in the OP contains tone deaf yelling at the end. That's the vocal style I associate with punk. I like raspy, hard vocals. Not whatever that is.

That's like saying Steve Vai "sounds like shit", okay if you don't like it fine but you can't deny talent

Punk rock as a whole, if you don't like it you can still tall it objectively call it talentless

For the record I am not huge on cookie monster music either, I have sporadic death metal binges but hate black metal and prefer more traditional styles of metal, so I'm not a fanboy

no not really you just dont like death metal vocals and that aside you can do what they are doing but actually good, if they knew how to scream properly in the more voicy yell style they would have a modern post hardcore or slipknot sounding yell but it doesnt sound like that it sounds weak and strained like a teenager that doesnt know what they are doing.

This is the part when the anons that actually like the genre post their favourite punk album

youtube.com/watch?v=NL-sX36SJvc

Attached: 1551670181223.png (515x800, 100K)

I saw this shit posted on Yea Forums a while back and I've been in love with it ever since
youtube.com/watch?v=EO0mIXGkxvk