Pleb Con Pat thread

Attached: 76B76A31-C4CA-4312-9564-F3BE2E3A14AF.jpg (1200x660, 112K)

Other urls found in this thread:

dr.loudness-war.info/
reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7tm0g9/_/dtenl8g?context=1000
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)#Effect_of_vinyl_mastering_on_dynamic_range
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Attached: BCB879DB-AC92-4A5B-9472-A714482A5327.png (1798x821, 18K)

Plebeian should be streaming
Contrarian should be cds

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 136K)

Patrician should be lossless digital codecs of music post-1990, lossless vinyl rips of music pre-1990, lossless CDrips if there is no vinyl copy, Taperips if cassette only

thos m's are a meme

Attached: gndkxb3a.jpg (1200x540, 189K)

Lossless CD rips are better than lossless vinyl rips.

dr.loudness-war.info/
are ya sure mate?

Literally who?
And this is refuting your argument you miserable dingus.

This website is shit on head retarded for anything other than digital 16/44.1khz audio.
reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/7tm0g9/_/dtenl8g?context=1000

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 913K)

I didn't post it, it's just there's a certain era of CD that is inferior, then they got better than vinyl, I was just being tedious for the sake of shitposting

>I didn't post it
>I was just being tedious for the sake of shitposting
What the fuck are you even trying to say are you schizo?

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 803K)

>cassette not contrarian

Zoomers are the only people who buy cassettes. Everyone else learned their lesson with that shit format.

Attached: zoom.jpg (512x432, 24K)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.52M)

>audible vinyl cracks and pops
Yes, I'm sure.

>aphex
>patrician
Go back to eating your glue

I'm not sure I understand.

type 2 tapes really don't sound that bad but they're still shit in comparison to vinyl and cd

switch pleb and Patricia

Attached: AnCo PCP.png (1314x600, 491K)

contrarian is Casettes. What’s the point of listening to music on a format with inherently worse sound quality? youd have to go out of your way to get a casette player now. If you claim vinyl fags are pretentious and only listen on the format to look cool how can you not see the hypocrisy

this. the true ranking is
Plebian, Contrarian, Patrician
Streaming, Cassette/Vinyl, CD

real patrician

Attached: 220px-Nirvana-Incesticide.jpg (220x220, 20K)

>Syro
>Plebeian
not at all my boy

give me one good reason why STO isn't a good album

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.99M)

simple: Modest Mouse is terrible

imagine being cassettes, cassettes that you have to REWIND when you want to listen to them again, are the best

is it bad that I JUST realized why it's called rewinding?

They are all patrician

holy shit i just realized now that you mentioned it
we are both stupid. fuck.

jesus christ anons

hey, at least one person was right.

but vinyl looks so good though

based retarded zoomers

and CD doesn't? or is size part of the equation?

A lot of the songs are bad

i would argue that vinyl is pleb and cd are contrarian

the cover size yes, but also just the fucking texture of the grooves man, not to mention colored and printed discs. What can you get from CDs? ooh it's the exact same except GOLD but you can't see it because it's in your player. There's no real difference between any analog media format, I own cassettes, CDs, and vinyl, as I'm sure most do on Yea Forums. I just think in general there's a lot more to offer from vinyl in terms of a visual experience to go along with the music.

Who do you know that is a plebeian that is also listening to Syro?

I think the medium itself isn't really worthy of being judged. There are good and bad vinyl records. There are good and bad CDs. Sometimes there are multiple choices good, bad, or mediocre on the same format for the same album. The true patrician answer is to read people's opinions about different pressings on forums before you buy something. That's not always an option though. On the issue of tapes you can't really lump the ones made in the 70s in with 90s ones with all the noise reduction shit and whatnot. It's like comparing a 128k mp3 to v0.

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.44M)

completely backwards

actual patrician is new world record

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.37M)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.2M)

go back

The redditors have a very valid and useful point there though. Do you think some computer algorithm is really the best way to measure dynamic range? If I play a brickwalled wav file through Perfect Declipper and it has a nicer number given to it by the algorithm does that mean it truly has better DR than a file that wasn't brickwalled in the first place? Also how do you objectively measure it for vinyl? How do you account for varying setups, ensure that your analog -> digital chain was totally clean? It's a dumbass idea for anything but CDs and anybody that relies on it is fucking retarded.

>lossless vinyl rips of music pre-1990
Only if the vinyl release is the best available version, which isn't always the case.
wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)#Effect_of_vinyl_mastering_on_dynamic_range

Accurate

This whole page is great and should be required reading before anyone tries to put forward retarded arguments about vinyl vs. CD. A lot of it is just subjective. For example I love Motown 45s. Are they of better quality with better dynamic range than CDs? Hell motherfucking no! They're cranked up to the point where they distort, the pre digital audio version of the loudness war. It sounds really cool to me though. Those are the versions that people listening to those songs on the radio heard when they were new. I thought those songs were boring hearing the CD versions on the radio when I was a kid. Hearing "Love Is Like an Itching in My Heart" by The Supremes from the 45, the way it distorts when she sings "tearing it all apart"... That really gets me. A CD would have more dynamic range but the aesthetic would be completely lost.

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.01M)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.52M)

all of them in pleb

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.68M)

you in pleb

Attached: 1551615187111.jpg (540x960, 50K)

The harold budd collab is patrician

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.09M)

this but exchange 1 and 3

absolutely not

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.29M)

>CD's
>analog

Attached: 1539677894047.jpg (540x540, 64K)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.41M)

ITT
>pleb: most popular
>contrarian: an album the poster doesn’t like
>patrician: favorite album by artist of poster

Attached: pcp-slayer.png (1500x538, 1.38M)

well, yes, that is the point of the thread. I thought that was obvious

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.32M)

very accurate. nevermind is a total schlop of shit, Bleach is great but absolutely the contrarian pick.
no, not even close. not at all.
dont know how i feel about this. pretty accurate but theres something weird about it. maybe id replace the plebeian pick with oracular spectacular, but id stay with the other 2 categories.
all 3 are contrarian
very accurate.
trick question: theyre all patrician
this, i can get behind. best in thread
LOL nah. GKMC is the patrician pick. section80 is contrarian. DAMN should stay as it is.
nothing wrong with this one
you got it. bonito generation is hot garbage, but time n place is a much better body of work. not great, but not dogshit.

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 554K)

Attached: 1543292601843.jpg (882x624, 122K)

This, thank you

Could you elaborate on the afx picks? I do amit looking back on it, I'd probably have put Druqs at patrician.

That’s not what that reaction image is for

He’s learning the ropes, leave him be

Also great taste is Venetian Snares btw. Absolutely based.

>What’s the point of listening to music on a format with inherently worse sound quality?
Does it necessarily sound worse every single time? If you found some cool tape while you're browsing in the thrift store you might want to take it home and put it on. That shit will probably cost you less than a bottle of coke. How it sounds will depend on how worn it is, if it was properly stored, when it was made, and the quality of the tape. If your tape deck isn't shit it will probably sound fine. I have an okay tape deck I got from my grandma's house. Nothing amazing but it gets the job done. It's hooked up to some old speakers from my dad's stereo. I usually use the aux input to play audio from my raspberry pi but I've played thrift store tapes and recordings I made when I was a kid on it too. The CD changer is busted but I don't use CDs at all, I rip all the ones I own to FLAC. Buying shit for the novelty value of it isn't always bad. I discovered cool things I wouldn't have otherwise by doing that. You just need to keep that down to pocket change, not dropping $15 for a brand new cassette at FYE.

Not him, but it’s all wrong. Syro is way too much for the average plebeian to digest and most people do not consider it his best. If anything, SAW 1 should be plebeian, as it’s his highest regarded album by critics and a fan favorite. Syro is more of a contrarian option, as it’s not as popular and isn’t as highly rated as his other works. It’s also a bit more “out there” than his other works. The patrician option is extremely opinion-based, but a better option might be an album that isn’t the artists most popular album. Perhaps RDJ Album or I Care Because You Do.

too lazy to make charts so:

--Swans--
Plebeian: SFTB
Contrarian: The Great Annihilator
Patrician: The Seer (or Cop)
--Bob Dylan--
Plebeian: Highway 61 Revisited
Contrarian: Nashville Skyline (duh)
Patrician: The Freewheelin' Bob Dylan
--Bowie--
Plebeian: Ziggy Stardust (duh)
Contrarian: Blackstar
Patrician: Earthling
--Beatles--
Plebeian: Abbey Road (duh)
Contrarian: Help!
Patrician: White Album
--Metallica--
Plebeian: Ride the Lightning
Contrarian: St. Anger/Lulu
Patrician: St. Anger/Lulu

Vinyl is in vogue. CDs are contrarian these days

I agree that buying for novelty isn’t necessarily bad, especially if you’re a super fan, but we’re talking about what you choose to listen to. It undeniably is lower quality than other formats, so I would never choose to listen to it, but as a fan of a band, I see nothing wrong with buying a cassette as a collectors item

You rat bastard, It takes literally one minute to make a chart.

I'm aware, I just thought it would be funny for someone to hypothetically react to something so innocuous like that

I think the quality of almost any tape made at the peak of the format, like late 80s all the way through the 90s, isn't really that bad. I'm super nitpicky about these things myself and I've been obsessing over it all my life. The bigger problem with cassettes, vinyl, etc is convenience . Fast forwarding and rewinding tapes to get to specific tracks sucked ass when I was a kid and it sucks now. Earlier tapes had tracks out of order to even out the length between the two sides. That practice even continued later on sometimes. Or you would end up with a bunch of silence at the end of one side. Maintaining a turntable isn't for everyone either. Even if you would enjoy collecting vinyl records that aspect of it could turn you off.

To sum up my opinion really simply I'll say this. I'd rather have a good tape than a bad vinyl or CD. I'd rather have a CD with a couple scratches on it than a vinyl with a couple scratches on it. A shitty tape is next to worthless and belongs in the trash.

i mean, SAW 85-92 is easily AFX's most popular, so from the get-go, it's Plebeian. for contrarian, i'd put Syro OR the recent collapse EP in there, since it's usually regarded as one of his weaker albums. picking that to be your favourite would be pretty contrarian of you.

now, if we're talking about quality and not popularity, it's a whole different story.

what im trying to say is Syro is in no way the "pleb" pick for AFX, and (popularity-wise), SAW 85-92 would absolutely NOT be in the patrician spot

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.15M)

(cont) because im retarded and i forgot to mention this:

in my eyes, the plebeian pick is just, simply put, the artist's most popular album

the contrarian pick is one of the more overlooked, less popular, or less liked albums

the patrician pick is a popular and well regarded album in the artist's discography, but not as adored as their "plebeian" pick.

of course there are many exceptions to this but it's generally the mindset i have going into thinking about the PCPs of a band/artist's discography

very accurate
ambient 3 is contrarian and ambient 2 is patrician btw

You just contradicted urself.

I mean I can’t really disagree with that. Of course I would also prefer anything good vs anything shitty, I just feel most of the time, other formats provide higher quality than cassettes. It’s also the most inconvenient and least accessible format imo

Correct

I'd argue that it's more convenient and accessible than vinyl. Finding a good working tape deck at a thrift store is more likely than a turntable. Sure you can go buy a Crosley or some cheap shit like that but the results speak for themself. I would also say that having a nice well maintained turntable with a good audio chain is far more rewarding though. Having a badass collection of 45s is always going to be cooler than having a huge collection of tapes no matter how good they sound.

All good except for the Beatles it should be
Pleb: White Album
Contrarian: Yellow Submarine
Patrician: Let it Be or Sgt Pepper

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.84M)

Attached: plebconpat.png (1792x704, 492K)

how is the great annihilator contrarian
contrarian would be the burning world or something

pleb: pink moon
contrarian: five leaves left/bryter layter
patrician: pink moon
patrician has become plebian now that a bunch of dg fans found it

100%

I definitely agree with the latter part of your statement but having to rewind a tape is pretty inconvenient to me. That’s the only format that requires that much effort. And what I meant by accessible was the music itself rather than the means of playing it. It’s much more likely that I would find an album I enjoy being pressed to vinyl rather than being made into tape. I mean new releases of course, this doesn’t apply to old music

Literally all of it is rock

cassettes have 2 sides
after a is played b goes on
when completed it has returned to its original state

ur a silly goose :3

>Swans
>Pleb: The Seer or To Be Kind
>Contrarian: One of their no-wave albums
>Patrician: Soundtracks
FTFY

pic related is the only patrician machine girl album

Attached: 6646096.jpg (300x300, 53K)

>effort
lazy zoomer scum

>Lossless CD rips are better than lossless vinyl rips.
Except in those cases where the CD uses a loudness war concentration camp victim for a master and the vinyl actually sounds good.

Whoever made this is fucking spot on

I'd say Die Mensch Maschine is the plebian one, as it is a lot more easy to listen to than Autobahn.
Shorter songs, more pop structures. Autobahn is too long for a pleb, they would probably enjoy the radio edit instead of the whole version.

Attached: Kraftwerk_-_The_Man-Machine.png (220x220, 92K)

druqks is both contrarian and patrician

based and redpilled. Time is incredibly underrated

section80 is plebian, tpab is contrarian, rest are patrician

Attached: playing it yourself because you're not a hack.jpg (2028x894, 1.21M)

vinyl will always be decent

bleach > utero

this hahahahh

right on

The Ugly Art is literately that but better.

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.59M)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.32M)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.05M)

finally someone making sense on this breeding ground for 12 year olds

Time is their best album but he's an idiot for not seeing the magnificence of Out of the Blue. There's nothing based or redpilled about his post. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

>photoshop nails and blood onto a bible rather than actually damage the holy book and risk losing god's grace
What a group of pussies.

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.38M)

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1004K)

patrician is actually discovery

trick question, their entire discography is patrician

wtf this is very wrong

Attached: 1553214276310.png (1798x821, 1.06M)