One of the most well-known and well-regarded experimental rock albums

>one of the most well-known and well-regarded experimental rock albums
>still pleb filters the fuck out of most of its listeners
is there a single more powerful album?

Attached: Trout-Mask-Replica.jpg (800x800, 197K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I really don't get why people find it so difficult. I had a harder time getting into the Velvets.

I appreciate that any criticisms of this album are just met with the phrase PLEB FILTERED over and over.

???
the velvets are undoubtedly easier to get into than beefheart, they use conventional chord progressions, pop song structures, and very simple chord progressions. a lot of their songs aren't super melodic, but that's about as difficult as they get.

Well I listened to their first album before I ever touched Trout Mask Replica, and about half the songs I really couldn't get into. Trout Mask Replica I enjoyed the first time.

there are valid criticisms of this record (like i think the horn playing is indulgent) but almost all of the ones i read make it clear the person doesnt get what this album is trying to do. in terms of what its trying to do, it achieves it and beyond. i think this is album is perfection i wouldnt change a thing

okay well you're probably just predisposed for more experimental music then
theres no way anybody can argue that the velvet underground were more inaccessible than beefheart, its self-evident.

good post, basically how I feel

Beefheart has no idea what he was doing

He’s a psychopath, abusive person

He was trying to emulate/out do his actually musically talented childhood friend Frank Zappa and failed utterly

Anyone who claims to unironically like this album does so by way of force or pseudointellectualism

Sure, but I'm saying I don't know why, once you've gotten used to unorthodox sounding music, people still have trouble enjoying this album sometimes.

I just think it sounds good.

Who the fuck cares
It sounds like clown music

>this video BTFOs the TMR haters
youtu.be/-FhhB9teHqU

Because it’s fucking shit tier bro.

Literally, the only “semi-valid” praise this album gets is “muh time signatures!1” and “muh lyrics” and “muh song structure”

But none of that was intentional. The true story is, Beefheart wanted to compose his own album, decided to be artsy and weird just like his buddy Zappa, and plooked around on a piano for a little while (an instrument he didn’t know how to play) and locked all his musicians in a house and forced them to learn how to play these ungodly tunes.

Zappa already did exactly what Beefheart was trying to do except in a melodically accessible way and in a way that’s musically competent.

Once again, the only people who actually like this album is weird for the sake of weirdness. Not because of anything musically valid.

all true. Yet none of it changes the fact that this album is mystical beyond explanation.

Beefheart was smarter than you give him credit for. Sure he didn't know the technical jargon, but he was very good at picking up on subtle details in music he liked and replicating them. Hence the Howlin Wolf voice, which sounded almost exactly like Howlin Wolf. With the help of his band mates, he could easily make up for his lack of proficiency at playing the piano and make his (and his band mates', considering they did a lot of rearranging behind his back) ideas into a reality. Not to mention, he did play harmonica, and while that isn't the most complicated instrument in the world, it wasn't like he played nothing. Melodically, he never deviated from the blues scale, so the fact that you get stuck on that just goes to show how much of a pleb you are.

Yeah but frank did it in a contrived way where all the spontenaiety still seemed planned. Don approached it like a baby and that's the only way to make it work.

Agreed. Trout Mask Replica isn't anywhere near as weird as people hype it up to be. TVU released multiple tracks that barely qualify as music.

Beefheart shows more creativity on his most poppy albums than Zappa has ever done with his Mad Magazine bullshit

Sure, but the Magic Band deserves some credit.

>He was trying to emulate/out do his actually musically talented childhood friend Frank Zappa

By making something that sounds nothing like Zappa and isn't even the same genre? You've never actually listened to this album have you?