How is vinyl and cassette allegedly better than CD?

How is vinyl and cassette allegedly better than CD?

Attached: 1552510789400.png (1196x2364, 1.89M)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)#Effect_of_vinyl_mastering_on_dynamic_range
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Not this shit again

I don't really have the need to clean my vinyl or skip tracks, and cassettes have nothing special about them, they're just popular because they're cheap to make for indie shit

what's the problem kid?

good things take effort, and are more rewarding in the end. easy things make you stagnate and die.

Nowadays people usually listen to music on computer or phone, so let people buy the physical form of the music they want. I prefer vinyl because I find them really nice and good looking to collect. The album art on big, the vinyl itself. I also have CDs and casettes but I prefer to collect them on vinyl. I know it is not the one which sounds better though.

just you and your strawman getting all buttmad because some people do something that you dont like

CD's are cheaply made and break/get skip marks really easily. The true nigga way is cassettes.

Attached: 1550256469753.png (628x850, 126K)

Hissing is unironically based. It has something to do with psychoacoustics. Crystal clear sound doesn't feel normal.

>muh analog warmth

still mad

Warmer sounding. Like comparing tubes to conventional amps.

It's not. I just enjoy collecting it and dropping big bucks on something in support of an artist.

Same reason why Soilent and David Cage "games" are popular.

>Hissing is unironically based. It has something to do with psychoacoustics. Crystal clear sound doesn't feel normal.

Attached: d8b48d3f9f7dc1bbc18c11c03503bd15317877dcf57c1b2797bdf99801b2a5ef.gif (413x243, 51K)

most modern record players have a button that moves and lowers the needle for you.

Zoomer detected.

Digital/CDs through a DAC is best for listening.
Vinyl is best for collecting as you get bigger artwork and patterns on the vinyl is neat.

vinyl is better because of fidelity and dynamic range. You can hear each individual element more clearly on vinyl than cd.
Cassette is just analogue warmth and muh lo fi

not him
the problem is that you are a faggot

>buying music

Attached: 1423581293356.jpg (581x520, 60K)

vinyl is the medium for redditors

No vinylfag actually believes the sound is better. I have a collection myself and I admit it's really only because they're collector's items. It's just a hobby, really. There's nothing else to it.

Attached: medusa1.png (637x588, 435K)

>No vinylfag actually believes the sound is better
>I don’t have plebears, I swear

>t. newfag that doesn't understand analog vs digital

How do you guys repair scratches in second-hand albums? Bought some old jazz records today and I wanna fix em up.

Vinyl + digital idort master race
cassettes are alright too, very cheap analog collectible
CDs made obsolete by digital downlod, only when it's very rare or remarkable packaging

this, at most i clean my vinyl with a brush if theres any dust which takes less than 30 seconds

it's actually considerably "Old Fag" to understand that CD/digital is better, normally by process of having fallen for the analog format meme from previous experience. I had BOTH a cassette and a vinyl phase and I realized after it was too late what a waste of time it was. People learn through their consumer mistakes as they get older. Why do you think the majority of boomers use CD players instead of a vinyl player like they grew up with? Because they know better, but our generation refuses to listen to older people's advice because we're stubborn fucking children.

>DONT LIKE SOMETHING THAT I DOT LIKE

This p much. Bonus points for vinyl rips through a good dac. The sound is amazing.

>Why do you think the majority of boomers use CD players instead of a vinyl player like they grew up with?
convenience and hearing getting worse

Worked

>cop out answer because he can't think of shit to say

What more needs to be said?
You are buttmad that people like something you don’t and shitposting desperately
You make yourself look stupid user, I don’t need to do a thing

Just admit you waste money.

I'll bet your bank account looks like shit

You lose
Probably used to that by now tho

Who said I was mad

>cheaply made and break really easily
>the true nigga way is cassettes
woh wat

People like distortion in their mediums. With video we put it though a bunch of filters to make it look the way it does. When you watch a shitty soap opera it's just pure digital video and it looks disgusting, even though it's the most accurate representation of reality. Audio is the same

CD/digital is the best format, granted all versions of an album have a DR of 12+.

sauce?

Stop pretending like you know shit

there really isn't a reasonable difference between vinyl, cd, and lossless digital, granted that each was mixed correctly. if the specific album suffered the loudness wars pretty harshly, then vinyl and digital will slightly edge out cd. in the end, I personally go for digital for convenience and cd for merchandise since vinyl is fucking expensive

based

>$30+ for a new release

this

If you buy from large labels maybe, most records I buy are around $15-$20 from smaller labels

People are entitled to their opinions on what sounds better but vinyl is literally unable to produce as large a dynamic range as CDs or digital (they're the same thing unless you're getting

>only listening to artists that sign onto smaller labels
how autistic

where did I say that's all I listen to retard

The best is getting old records at a flea market for cheap. You have to sift through a lot of shit but sometimes people leave behind good shit. I'm not into indie shit though so it would kinda suck to collect those, since everything is expensive issues often with gimmicks that raise the price.

your comment implies that you only buy merchandise from artists who are from small labels. since I doubt anyone would limit themselves to only buy from artists in such an arbitrary way, the best case scenario is that you do buy from all your favorite artists, but you limit your favorites to those from small labels

sauce

The CD format is objectively better for listening purposes in every way, but some CDs were deliberately sabotaged by mastering engineers while the vinyl release was not. In this case, the correct version to listen to is the vinyl rip, which sounds identical to the vinyl but doesn't self-destruct on repeated playback.

However, note that not all vinyl releases have better mastering, and the most common dynamic range measurement technique is easily fooled by measurement artifacts:

wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Myths_(Vinyl)#Effect_of_vinyl_mastering_on_dynamic_range

>It isn't able to produce high frequencies as well as digital formats
False. High quality vinyl has better high frequency extension than CD audio. But this is pointless, because it's inaudible to all humans, and it can introduce distortion in your playback system. The actually important factor, dynamic range, is very obviously worse on vinyl. Even good vinyl has only about 70db, compared to 96db on CD, or effectively more on CD with noise-shaped dithering.

Depending on the source, vinyl isn't restricted to 16bit like CDs are. Better for older releases than a fair amount of modern ones, but even many modern releases are akin to 24bit, although modern releases are still digitally sourced most times so the quality is arguable and can have different situations with different releases/editions

Cassettes are a niche thing but they are objectively inferior to CD and Vinyl, only reason to even bother is if a release has no other physical format, and even then if there is a digital edition of said release that would be your best bet unless you want to own a physical copy.

>Depending on the source, vinyl isn't restricted to 16bit like CDs are
Effective bit depth:
>"Audiophile" vinyl: 12bit
>Average vinyl: 11bit
>Shit vinyl: 10bit

people pay the big bucks for that "meme".

this is true, some artists won't press to vinyl because it truncates the depth of their music to be almost unlistenable in certain contexts.

"There are no plans for a vinyl edition because the bass spatialization effects that give many of these recordings their sonic character are incompatible with vinyl mastering techniques."

I think 15ips tapes are the best format and nothing can change my mind. I'm being 100% serious. Nothing compares.

>spend massive amounts of money
>its somethign i just do :^)
its your identity, mong, own it.

fair enough
But by this logic what actually would be the effective bit depth of CDs? Any difference or would it actually be 16bit?

>15ips tapes
ok what are 15ips tapes
>google it
no tell me, you tell me what it is and explain how it is used and recorded with and what equipment it entails, do this in detail, now

Any format that isn't an 8track is shit.

>Why do you think the majority of boomers use CD players instead of a vinyl player like they grew up with?
boomers are very impressionable with technology, CDs was the last tech revolution they could track and be shocked by.

you can run a car over a cassette wont break*.

*wont apply to mass produced current china shit.

>even though it's the most accurate representation of reality
reality isnt a bunch of plastic puppets looking all jarring. digital is a terrible medium, its as simple as that.

A 15ips tape is a reel-to-reel tape that is read at 15 inches per second. It is commonly used in recording studios. Because of it's speed, it has a lower noise floor than other formats such as 7ips tape and vinyl. The sound from these tapes is smoother, warmer, and offers a greater dynamic range with less surface noise than vinyl. A master tape being read at 15 inches per second will sound better than any record.

Vinyl is mostly a collecting meme but old rock and jazz sounds heavenly on it so ten or even twenty dollars at a flea market is worth it if you have an album you love

The sauce has a big floppy weiner just so you know

"Effective bit depth" of well mastered CD is actually greater than 16bit, because noise-shaped dithering moves the quantization noise to where the human ear is less sensitive. Subjectively it's more like 17bit or 18bit.

redpill post ahead full with facts and truths about vinyl, cds and cassettes, use at your own discretion:

>r2r tape is the GOAT, all the other formats are comercial supports for r2r masters
>digital recording is garbage, quantizing is a thing, it just comes up with information, how cool is that
>cd is feeble, looks tacky, but it can render perfect classical music, for that alone, is good
>vinyl is pretty good when fresh, then it drifts into decrepitude
>the vinyl bumps and pops are simple inexcusable XIX century bullshit
>cassette is only good for supporting underground scene and for recording cool 4 track tape demos, for everything else youre being a literal clown
>most audiofools have tin ears
>the smarter you are, the better "codecs" you have in your head for rendering music, a cultured brain can enhance, EQ, compress and remaster a bad recording in real time -can detect a poor, unlistenable one instantly too-, inside the head, so all music is a pretty personal experience

>to where the human ear is less sensitive
thats what they believe they are doing. it sound shit anyways. the human senses are way finer than they get credit.

I think I may have an allergy for redpills, because reading this is making me asphyxiate

15ips tape has about the same SNR as "audiophile" grade vinyl. It's worse than CD quality.
>r2r tape is the GOAT, all the other formats are comercial supports for r2r masters
Dire Straights released an great sounding DDD recording back in 1985. Analog recording is 100% obsolete.
CD quality has obviously superior SNR even with no dithering.

>Pick up a 30 year old cassette, tape is demagnetized and sounds like ass, or it's stretched and the cassette player turns off every 5 seconds.

> Pick up a 30 year old CD with some scratches and it might skip.

>>Pick up a 30 year old cassette, tape is demagnetized and sounds like ass, or it's stretched and the cassette player turns off every 5 seconds.
lmao you have never played a cassette, youre a total farce.

>and it might skip.
a single skip ruins a whole CD. some bump in a cassette adds character :-)~~~

Cassette is objectively the worst out of all, but probably my favorite. I'm not looking for sound quality when I listen to tapes, idk just the feel. CD will be superior in every way forever, but analog stuff will always be more interesting.

>pick up a 30 year old CD and it has rotten away

Attached: 1486400053191-Time_destroyed_CD.jpg (2000x1325, 1.65M)

the only good post in this thread so far

you're not supposed to store them in the shower

You only get skips if you try to play the CD in real time. There is no good reason to do this. Any good CD ripper will repeatedly re-read problematic areas, and in practice you're only going to get a few corrupted samples. You can interpolate over them and have it barely noticeable, certainly better than vinyl pops. And you'd be surprised how damaged CDs can get and still rip perfectly. CD is a very robust format.

Honestly I just like the experience. Pour a pint and pack a joint. Taking the record out, looking at the sleeve and whatever artwork is on the center. Putting on the player and cleaning it. That anticipation from the needle drop to the start. Reading the lyrics as the music goes. It’s relaxing and enjoyable. I collect them but I don’t go out of my way to get super rare shit, if I own I spin it.

It's inevitable, it will happen sooner or later, but CD's won't last for 700 years as advertised