ITT: Name an artist you don't understand the appeal of, and fans of said artist will try to explain it to you

ITT: Name an artist you don't understand the appeal of, and fans of said artist will try to explain it to you.
I'll start: BROCKHAMPTON

Attached: iridescence-art.jpg (1250x1250, 793K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=I0N8LFNQRyc
youtube.com/watch?v=78XuZxPZHYA
youtube.com/watch?v=iNkO_sV1_o8
youtube.com/watch?v=1v_vYl4Rfb0
youtube.com/watch?v=y8YGRvnvENU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

unique production

They're peak pop-rap, they just make really fun and creative bangers with great, really distinct production.
Shame that the album you posted was ass.

i think Saturation 1 is the only tolerable project of theirs - BANK, 2PAC, TRIP, SWIM, CASH, and MILK are actually pretty good songs. the other 99% of what they make is too tryhard and self-indulgent/emo. like the other user said, at least it's semi-unique production, especially compared to most of the chit produced nowadays.

Kevin's a real fucking talent. He's going to make his Channel Orange and Blonde one day

Attached: 37199834_209931456359402_2526095099725611008_n.jpg (1080x723, 94K)

AND IIIIII'LL BEEEEEEE

explain billie eilish

Any and all rapoid artists.

Death Grips

>Suicide
>Playboi Carti
>The Eagles
Yeah, they’re shit.

16 yr old """""depressed""""" teenage girls

drake desu

nirvana

Swans. I love noise rock but volcano was the only song I've enjoyed.

have you tried white light

nice explosive and fantastic production mc ride carries the vocals really well and zach hill rapes the drums it has that sense of raw as fuck that makes it so good plus they have some crazy albums adn tracks

KPOP

my bloody valentine

Listen to HEAT and BOOGIE and tell me why they're appealing.

fucking Ride
For the most part, they just sound like a worse version of The Stone Roses. Although admittedly the first few tracks on pic related are pretty good, not much else stands out.

Attached: goingblankagain.jpg (600x600, 121K)

Sonic Youth

Drake. I get it that he's the most popular whatever but why him instead of someone else, shit's boring imo.

Attached: origin-of-pusha-t-drake-blackface-photo-the-story-of-adidon-1.jpg (1125x612, 145K)

different from the Stone Roses, captures a spacier, more nostalgic mood, more so on Nowhere which is the superior album. Tracks like "In a different place" and "Vapour Trail" for some reason remind me of lost youth, of growing up and looking back on days when you just used to lie in the sun and get stoned all day. The Stone Roses (album) a more happy go lucky, optimistic vibe, something that Oasis would build on with added swagger. Where the Roses were more jangly with elements of psychedelia, Ride went for the swirling walls of guitar noise that inevitably gets labelled "shoegaze".

I second playboi carti, and I love trap music

it took me time to appreciate them, seemed like some generic pop rap at first couple of listens. appreciated the production after some time.
still dont get that shit

she doesn't have fans

>bangers
you must go.
you have to go back

Depression-core for the sad urban youth. Not weird. Not poppy. Not good. Just forgettable.

I don't like Drake as a public figure but I'm definitelly fascinated by the fact that he has one of the best teams in music, second only to Taylor Swift. They know how to manage him as your whiny boy next door, niceguytm, not like the other guys. Ironically he fucked every stripper in North America, is a deadbeat dad, has been around barely legal girls and biggest narrative in his recent lyrics is that a some girl he liked is a hoe and it's totally her fault.
He releases a 10/10 pop single once every three years though, but his albums are pure bloated streaming bait

Now words can't describe how much I loved their first and third album, or at least loved. I actually listened to kevin abstracts OG shit before getting into BROCKHAMPTON. Theres some really good shit in there, its like pharell williams and tyler the creator, and there aren't any out of place lines about sucking dick (or any at all, im pretty sure these songs are from before he came out).
youtube.com/watch?v=I0N8LFNQRyc
youtube.com/watch?v=78XuZxPZHYA

Degas Park remains my favorite BROCKHAMPTON song of all time. Now lets move on to their breakout album: SATURATION, i fell in love with this album, although there are only a few songs i return to it just gave off this vibe of a ton of friends making music together in their garage or something and having a great time, very similar to odd future but without amateur production and meme-songs. Every song, although I have forgotten most of them felt like there was so much thought and effort put into them. Have you ever had an idea for a song in the shower and got super into it? its like every song was like this. I didnt mind lines about Kevin having sexual relations with other dudes because it still went with the flow of the song and didn't feel unnatural.
My favorites:
youtube.com/watch?v=iNkO_sV1_o8
youtube.com/watch?v=1v_vYl4Rfb0

Now I didn't give a shit about SATURATION 2, it didnt have the soul that 1 had, songs seemed very skeletal and like there wasn't much though put into them

Saturation 3 was another favorite of mine because songs came up again that had the same vibe i took a liking to in the first. But there were some flops, songs like BOOGIE were cool as shit at first but just make me cringe now due to their fanbase. However there were some seriously amazing songs on this record. Rental had this amazing melody that i would never forget, and Bleach is a masterpiece. But HOTTIE is without a doubt my favorite, its just the most uplifting song.

Attached: 1550501598988.jpg (420x457, 19K)

To add to this, I don't and never will give a shit about their new stuff they have clearly lost everything that made them so interesting to begin with and kevins obnoxious out of place sexual lines never fail to make me cringe. And of course with Ameer getting kicked out its obviously never going to be the same. Although Ameer was clearly the least interesting member he was still part of the group the shock from what happened had to have effected their music. Also it seems as if their trying to cater to their obnoxious fanbase and not making music for the fun of it anymore. And thats my thoughts on BROCKHAMPTON, they have their gems but are a flawed group.

im curious here too, what does it take to like drake

Never really undestood DnB, feels really repetitive and a lot of songs sound really similar
Idk, that sounds weird coming from me as i listen to a lot of electronic genres with those properties like techno,tek or new beat but still didn't really got DnB

I see, that's a pretty valid argument. It becomes more like a brand than just a singular artist, which is a more logical way of discussing someone as big as Drake. It's pretty clear now that negative critical reception and taking the L in a beef are not going to move this man from his secure spot.
Still, I remember reading about him doing the slash throat hand signal to his goons before beating someone up and thinking it's hilariously lame. I wonder if he really believes he's some sort of gritty mob boss or just a name that is thriving thanks to an uncountable amount of hard working people.

I think he is self aware enough about him being more of an entertainer with a big machine behing his back than an artist. And he is fine with that for now because it brings him millions, fame and strippers. He does charity work and exposes young talent from time to time (usually just to juice the good material out of them).
As a person he's always desperate for approval of the streets/his peers and idols/award shows/charts. I wonder if he does a Beyonce after reaching his commercial peak which is the same sweatshop-based album writing process but now with his artistinc merit in charge of the boat instead of blatant chartpandering and market research

mudhoney.

That's a very probable trajectory actually, it would be less profitable but more beneficial to his legacy as an artist, so that when he eventually goes he'll have a more positive image. His early albums and IYRTITL are not enough, I'm sure he can pull a Lemonade out of his ass if he wants to.

Yeah. I think way more A-list pop stars will start doing a 4/Beyonce/Lemonade type of albums later in their careers. It's a very smart business model. Beyonce really is an innovator in that aspect.

The prime example of that right now is Ariana Grande. I don't personnally like her music but it's getting good reviews everywhere, I'm sure Bey was the inspiration behind that.

I disagree with that. Ariana's sudden critical accliam is more narrative driven (Manchester, Mac, Pete). I'd argue that her tactic is more of a mixture between Taylor and trappers.
Beyonce intentionally stopped making 'quick little singles' as she calls them. She hires a camp of writers and tells them which direction to take her next era. The further she goes the more she dablles in the 'indie' scene (started with Chairlift and now is in full on Father John Misty/Ezra Koening/James Blake mode). Her albums are huge events which she drops without promo, interviews or explanations. They have trendy political narratives weaved into them to pander towards music writers. She keeps her production fresh enough for it to sound a bit not like the radio which makes her appear more prestigeous and left field than her peers. Her image is curated for her to be viewed as a goddes, flawless and perfect during her public apperances
On the other hand, TUN is a mishmash of every song that is big right now. Max Martin + trap. She's big on social media fan interaction. Beyonce gave her fans out small bits & pieces on the Jay Z cheating scandal and created a full narrative out of it. Ariana overshares, messes up and her team then fixes it with planted pity articles about her exes not being shit. People wanted to listen to the album to hear her take on the tabloid headlines, that's Taylor Swits' school of album promo 101. Ariana is relatable and current to a tea. Her populatity is heavily singles driven. Added to that, she is planning to relelase a 3rd album in one year timespan. The first top 40 pop artist to adapt the Future/Young Thug release pattern into a pop landscape. Trappers usually release 5 mixtapes/year of whatever they freestyled over fresh batch of Metro beats. Ariana does the same thing with her small team of co-writers (which are all her close friends) but her shit then gets sent to Sweden where best math nerds in pop then polish it into a blockbuster top 40 LP

Drake, I don't understand why he has so many dick riders he is right above mediocre in my opinion.

have sex

sat series had a smattering of good tracks, peaking at sat 2.
someone will need to explain the appeal of pic related to me, cuz i dont get it

Kate Bush

Attached: 91DB5EAE-AAA0-4EFB-AAC8-902EEE54A4A1.jpg (437x431, 21K)

Production is undoubtedly very good. I also like the singing from JOBA and Matt Champion's, Ameer's, and most of the time Kevin all have good flow. I admit though that Iridescence is a 6/10 at best. imo the Saturation trilogy (particularly 1/2) are what I consider "good BH"

Pink Floyd

Boards Of Canada

samples, production, energy

do the right drugs for the music

Oh, you're the kind of guy who grow directly from childhood to adulthood.

too much free time senpai

Blessed thread

I always feel like I'm missing something about Kanye and Lana Del Rey. They seem really important to some people but they come off as really vapid to me. I get them sonically, just don't get the hype around their lyrics and personas I guess?

Attached: 1553043263952.gif (226x224, 180K)

If I'm being totally honest, pic related.
Haven't listened to him past this so idk how different it gets.

Attached: selected-ambient-works-85-92.jpg (600x600, 45K)

Thank U, Next did come out like a week after I heard about her latest breakup and whats his face had died pretty recently lmao

Discovered them yesterday. Loved their style, but it wasn't until I listened to "Failure" that I really started digging it.

Unrelated, but could anyone recommend me anything of the same caliber?

I guess, at least I found myself a gig in PR to apply the pop culture researches I do in the meantime lol

it doesn't change a ton from that album you posted, but he does develop different takes on the style

take this for example
youtube.com/watch?v=y8YGRvnvENU

12 year old hypebeasts

Ohh, see I like the sound of this quite a lot. I think I'll grab that album and give it a listen tonight, cheers m8

Taylor Swift

things get quite different starting at ...I Care

this, mbdtf's production is godly but the lyrics suck

Beach House

Top tier british jangle influenced rock with a shit ton of effects on top and gorgeous vocal harmonies a la Beach Boys. In a lot of their songs they just repeat a droning chord progression, but the harmonies, melodies, killer basslines and effects keep them interesting all the way. Also, they have a massively underrated drummer, his work is fantastic.

Basically, they're the classic shoegaze band closest to traditional british (jangle, psychadelic, indie) rock.

'sad', lustful, 'street-wise' pop music a la Lana Del Rey but with a pseudo-goth tumblr aesthetic

on top of what everyone said, Brockhamption fucked themselves with their saturation meme. lol yea dropping 3 albums of your best material in a year is gonna hurt down the road

he makes great pop music. Drake's lyrics are well-written and speak to life, love, and emotion. his production (up until recently) has been top notch thanks to the brilliance of Noah 40 Shebib.

MBDTF has some decent storytelling (Devil in a New Dress, Runaway) and raps (Gorgeous, So Appalled, Power) but Kanye hit his lyrical peak on Late Registration,. if you seriously doubt Kanye's lyricism, listen to his OG trilogy

They are easy to listen to and put you in a unique space.

Burlap Thong. Why even put an effort in to push record?

Attached: 1356462146314.jpg (1600x992, 731K)