What does Yea Forums think of Cheap Trick?

What does Yea Forums think of Cheap Trick?

Attached: Cheap Trick.jpg (245x205, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=47I6EFnAyoc
youtube.com/watch?v=6bsT3EWlsJM
youtube.com/watch?v=3RlbGvYLaVc
youtube.com/watch?v=iirNRWm08vg
youtube.com/watch?v=evVixO3eADg
youtu.be/CqeDJsPhSV4
youtube.com/watch?v=CoAkqB7eRTs
youtube.com/watch?v=S0konY4y-Bg
youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0zeMbLOCY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

amazing band

Probably the best rock band of all time.

They do The Beatles better than The Beatles.

One of the best bands of all time.

their debut is awesome

bun is god (proof at 2:36)
youtube.com/watch?v=47I6EFnAyoc

Attached: bun.jpg (992x678, 204K)

OP here, i'm so glad that Yea Forums loves Cheap Trick. This makes me wanna get more into their discography.

Their debut, In Color, Heaven Tonight, At Budokan, Dream Police, All Shook Up, One On One, and Next Position Please are all 10/10s or near 10/10s. Not a fan of their later stuff. Lap of Luxury, Rockford, and The Latest had a couple good songs each. The Sex, America, Cheap Trick boxset has a lot of really great demos, live, and unreleased tracks.

Attached: R-2481768-1525565397-7727.png.jpg (600x945, 132K)

Here's a recording session Cheap Trick did with Steve Albini.

daily reminder that there is a very quality bootleg floating around where they rerecorded in color with steve albini

In Color [Epic, 1977]
Nowadays punk makes it easy to resist hard rock this slicky textured, but these boys don't waste a cut and they allow themselves none of the myopthia or showmanship or bombast that characterizes post-boogie formalism. Now if only they seemed interested in their well-crafted, say-nothing lyrics. B

Attached: christgau89894.jpg (1400x963, 169K)

Forgot link:
youtube.com/watch?v=6bsT3EWlsJM

THIS. I would love an official release of this.

Attached: albini.png (500x667, 428K)

>Nowadays punk makes it easy to resist hard rock this slicky textured

I hate this guy so much.

Great hard rock opener on In Color and then the rest of the album is boring soft rock. Also The Cars stole it to make Just What I Needed.

>Southern Girls
>Downed
>Big Eyes
>You're All Talk
>So Good To See You
>boring soft rock
The only weak track on there is the original cowpoke version of I Want You To Want Me.

Billy Corgan worships these guys.

Cobain and Albini also held them in high regard.

The best rock band of the 70s. They were unironically more rock and roll than any punk band of their time.

They're pretty well-liked here, but for some reason they rarely get discussed.

That version of You're All Talk is amazing

That's a shame desu. I see shitty threads here, and wonder why there aren't more threads like this.

They didn't last too long and died out quickly in the early 80s. Their end of decade comeback as an MTV pop rock act...that never happened as far as I'm concerned.

Agreed. Kind of funny and sad at the same time that their only #1 hit was The Flame. They deserve so much better.

It wasn't a bright time, but I don't blame them for making a compromise under the gun.

OH CANDY, WHY DID YOU DO IT?!

How the fuck is Rick not considered one of the greatest rock guitarists of all time? Or one of rock's greatest showmen for that matter?

He is in my book. Dude was playing noise rock sounding stuff live in the 70s.

Attached: rn.jpg (465x687, 33K)

YOU DIDN'T STICK A NEEDLE IN YOUR VEIN

>Now if only they seemed interested in their well-crafted, say-nothing lyrics
So they were supposed to do what instead? Protest the arms race?

That sounds super impressive, not gonna lie.

It's funny too because upon closer examination, they had some really good lyrics. Introspective (Downed, Next Position Please, If You Want My Love) and some down right twisted ones (Daddy Shouldve Stayed in High School, Ballad of TV Violence, Heaven Tonight).

He had a monster tone and was definitely the edge of the band, not to mention the primary songwriter.

I did hear some good stuff about him, but i didn't know he was that good too.

Magic Waters is better

>Magic Waters
Rockford is a scumpit.

Tom Peterson is also a criminally underrated bassist. There are points on At Budokan where he plays it almost like a noise/drone style that I've never really heard anywhere else.

"The first known 12 string bass guitar, the "Hamer Quad," was designed by Jol Dantzig and built in 1977 for Tom Petersson by Hamer Guitars. Petersson's Cheap Trick bandmate Rick Nielsen reports that Petersson first conceived of the instrument in 1973, and worked with Hamer over the next few years refining the design."

Critics are really dumb people for the most part. They cannot into lyrics unless they contain a really simple, blunt, soundbite-worthy line like calling the Queen a fascist.

Well I mean a lot of lyrics are contextual and often only make sense to the band members. Cuckgau just assumes anything he doesn't "get" off the bat is manufactured corporate music or pretentious art rock.

If you want corporate 70s rock product, try something like Wheel in the Sky. Completely flat tune that serves no purpose except providing a catchy chorus you can sing along to in a stadium.

I mean early Journey was some nice Jazz fusion stuff

Wheel in the Sky sounds like they just took Sweet Emotion and stripped out everything except the bit about I'm on the road, don't know where I'll be in a year and pasted it over the most generic 70s arena rock production imaginable.

What's your favorite rare/unreleased song by them?
youtube.com/watch?v=3RlbGvYLaVc
youtube.com/watch?v=iirNRWm08vg
youtube.com/watch?v=evVixO3eADg

Attached: cheap trick band.jpg (1100x619, 141K)

amazing early recording. almost post-hardcore sounding
youtu.be/CqeDJsPhSV4

There was a Columbia suit who said "[Journey] aren't a band, they're a floor in the Columbia offices."

Shit! Nice find bud

I have their t shirt and I've only been complimented on it in public once, by an elderly black man.

It's a shame that their talents had to go to waste. Greg Rollie and Neil Schon were great in Santana, but they sold their soul for fame.

Almost every band associated with Journey is better than Journey (ie. The Babys). Journey sucks.

>Greg Rollie and Neil Schon were great in Santana, but they sold their soul for fame
Or food. They didn't want Steve Perry but Columbia threatened to drop them from the label otherwise and they had no choice because they were literally starving.

today.. Yea Forums was based

Amen, senpai.

damn, this is wild. the label must've really cleaned up their sound

They have always been a better live band for sure.

Based old black dude

They were one of Joey Ramone's favorite bands.

Attached: Joey Ramone.jpg (321x480, 70K)

Yup. He covered I'll Be With You Tonight off of Dream Police and Johnny got the inspiration for The KKK Took My Baby Away from He's a Whore.
youtube.com/watch?v=CoAkqB7eRTs

youtube.com/watch?v=S0konY4y-Bg
youtube.com/watch?v=Qx0zeMbLOCY

Holy shit, Pain Pain is wild.

Damn those sound great.

Great band. Rick Nielsen has a few more guitars than me.

Attached: ga_slider_rn.jpg (1200x428, 118K)

shitty arena rock

He does have some cool looking guitars.

Worst Stand

Based JoJo fan

He gifted Steve Miller a custom guitar with the Miller Beer logo on it. What a legend.

That was during their RnR Hall of Fame induction if i remember correctly.