ITT: Discuss how valid a music critic Fantano is and how valid his opinions are

ITT: Discuss how valid a music critic Fantano is and how valid his opinions are.

Attached: 1e1.png (489x449, 285K)

>as a music critic
Not valid.
>his opinions
Even less valid.

>as a music critic
Not valid.
>his opinions
valid

Never seen any of his reviews so i have no idea.

>how valid a music critic
Valid
>how valid his opinions are
valid

I feel as though he's just some hipster with a camera and a record collection

But then again, why does that make him an invalid critic.

I disagree with most of what he says about music but i still watch him because despite being totally unagreeable on any type of music that would be sold in a normal record store, he is hilarious and has introduced me to a lot of good music i would have otherwise not found without his channel or this place.
in music, everyone's opinion is valid except unkle adams. that man is butt fucking insane.

his opinions are valid he just has shitty ones sometimes

I only watched the ...Like Clockwork vĂ­deo, expecting him to trash QOTSA, and I was shocked to see he had the same opinion I had (particularly Jeep your eyes peeled being the least good tracking)

Should I watch more of his reviews or quit while I'm ahead?

I cannot understand how anyone can derive any critical value from his videos whatsoever. Literally none of his videos say anything quantifiable or objectively observable about the music whatsoever. You'd get more out of flipping random pages on a thesaurus than watching his vids.

his videos pre-2017 are generally decent reviews, while 2017-today have been pretty inconsistent in terms of quality criticism. he has never dived into why a song is good, but he has good taste when it comes to if music is good or not, and what surface-level appreciation can be gained from an album. he's never been about deep analysis and he doesnt need to be
autistic theoryfag. do you even enjoy music?

Fuck off back to work Tony

You're a genuine fucking idiot. Anyone who actually really likes something delves deep into understanding it. People who like cars like working on them and understanding how they work. People into movies like to get informed about about how movies are made and verious techniques and philosophies in filming. Music is the one medium that people can consume passively without givibg any attention so it's filled with retarded dilettantes like you who perceive any actual interest in it as "autistic" and "not actually liking it".

>as a music critic
As valid as any music critic. More so than someone like Christgau who barely ever talks about the music, writes a Yea Forums-tier one liner and then slaps on a random rating.
>his tastes
Not my thing but at least his taste is consistent enough that I can compare it to my own and extrapolate whether or not an album is worth checking out. Honestly the guy gets too much hate on here even though his fanbase is very annoying.

thanks for joining the conversation :)

invalid (intellectually crippled)

No Anthony here, mane

Attached: download (1).jpg (210x240, 4K)

OP here
kekked

Attached: 13934959_10154365133929043_1966503947838274200_n.jpg (605x381, 10K)

zach here, thanks man

Attached: file.png (417x546, 437K)

>as a music critic
as valid as anyone else
>his opinions
who cares

I don't think critics are needed in this world, in fact, they are the prime reason for the dooming world we live in now and out degrading culture.

But music is not a car or a film.

Literally anyone can create and distribute music . There is more to wade through. If you love music, then you have to be able to consume and parse music well.

You can spend 70 hours listening to an album and write down the lyrics like your a cartoon scientist, but you're not getting anywhere.

Music production is, on the whole, pretty homogeneous so that end product is easy to consume. Just because you spend time on a record doesn't mean it adds value.

He mastered that art of bullshit explanations. And I can tell that because he uses a lot of adjectives.

>alt-righters
>valid opinions

epoch

You're only proving my point. Your entire argument is that since it's such an easy medium to both create in and consume it is oversaturated by trash so there's no point taking it seriously.
Your argument is the equivalent of saying that sincr shit like deviantart exists there's no need for knowledge of practical compositional techniques as an art critic. You're straight up holding ignorance as a virtue because you think lowly of the entire medium.