I think it's about time

I think it's about time..
FOR A SYNTH THREAD

Attached: Roland-Juno60-01.jpg (900x550, 230K)

dx7 is the goat

Yeah, but we need some variation

anybody got the volca fm?

God, I'm excited for the important post that user wanted to make in the next thread

What do people see in these? 5 years ago you could get them for $40. I have two I still don't understand.

Attached: 20190321_101516.jpg (720x1117, 290K)

Second time I've bought this bad boy. Shouldn't have let it go last time but couldn't pass it up this time.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-21 at 7.20.22 AM.png (1438x660, 165K)

Best polysynth ever made

Had it but ending up selling it, the fact that it doesn't accept program changes via midi and you rely solely on that tiny fragile knob to change patches was the icing on the shitshow it actually is. A FB-01 has WAY better midi implementation.
Fun toy thou, but after a month it gets boring. Like most volcas

cuz u can make fire beats withem faaaam

>A FB-01 has WAY better midi implementation.
How do you control yours? I've tried with the FB01 editor and I keep getting buffer errors

It was just an example, I don't have a FB-01 but a friend has one in his home studio and controls everything from his MPC 2500, program changes are a non issue and with a standard midi controller it responded to some knobs (should check if all 127 messages work)
I'm about to pull the trigger on a TX81Z, old multitimbric synths are just too much fun. Wish more would still be made, the Blofeld tried but its an abomination and gave me suicidal thoughts, wish I could find a Tetra X4 at a decent price but no luck yet.

My tx81z is temperamental as well, but I did get that working with editing software. The FB-01 is still not playing nicely, it might be something to do with the bitrates needed no not overflow the buffer. I'll get around to working ti out one day.

I love my blofeld, I dont even bother with the pc editor for it, since I like the matrix interface

should I get a dx11 if I can't get a DX7?

personally I'd go for the rackmount tx81z, or a tx802 if you really want the dx7 engine. You avoid all the problems of vintage keys, plus you save space.

So good.

Bought this last year with a JP-08 and they’re a surprisingly good combo. I’m thinking about buying a Moog Grandmother this summer, but I’m not sure. If I don’t do that I’m considering putting in the money to get into starting a Eurorack but that seems like much more of a long term investment.

Attached: B5DE4C07-E9F5-4870-81D3-B7A302662034.jpg (3762x1791, 1.45M)

How big of a pain in the ass it is to configure a patch in the FB-01 without external gear? The tx80z seems a lot friendlier in that aspect (as long as it has ADSR handy I'm good).
The Blofeld is ok as a standalone synth but as soon as you match it up with another synth/sampler it just gets lost. I tried everything but even with an external compressor it didn't have any guts. And dont even get me started on the hard panning that is default in most patches, in a whole year using it got 1 good patch out of it (that I made myself from scatch). Sad because it had potential but no guts

>How big of a pain in the ass it is to configure a patch in the FB-01 without external gear
the synthesis engine itself cant be edited from the panel. the options are mostly global settings, adjusting the polyphony per channel, and other such items. The TX81Z can be fully edited via the panel

>The Blofeld is ok as a standalone synth but as soon as you match it up with another synth/sampler it just gets lost.
I've heard this a lot, and it's true that I've had to back off the levels of other synths to let the blofeld shine through, but I still love it. I guess it also depends on how busy your mix is

Which would you choose and why?
* Yamaha Reface CS
* Yamaha Reface DX
* MikroKorg
* Novation Mininova
* Roland System 1

Is the Yamaha DX27 any good? I've read somewhere that you can't connect it to a DAW. Is this true?

It's sort of a gimped dx7 I think. It should be able to receive note data from a daw at the least, idk if other parameters are editable via midi

Microkorg, unless you really hate those keys it's a no brainer.
The Mininova is good but is too "soft" for my taste, the mk1 is grittier
The Refaces are ok, the DX is the best by far, gr8 FM synth. The CS doesn't have much reason to exist considering the microkorg and mininova are better in all aspects.
The System-1 is monophonic, I dig it, but it's not for everyone

Mininova is painful to program. You can get the ultranova for the same price used.

>Mininova is painful to program.
wut? It took me seconds to create a patch, it's way more intuitive and easy to program than a Microkorg (that is pretty easy unless you're a complete brainlet)

I've seen so much of the Grandmother, and man do I wish I could get it. It's like a Minimoog expanded. The semi-modular patching allows you to do some wild shit like routing the LFO as a 3rd oscillator, audio rate modulation, running external audio in and it even has it's own spring reverb. If you can get your hands on it, definitely do (unless you're not really hurting for an analog monosynth)

Yea Forums, what is your opinion on the term "vintage" when it comes to synths?

It's no secret that many analog synths, like OP's pictured one, are being priced far more than they're really worth, but how do you feel about them being called vintage? Personally I feel like it's just a fancy marketing term for anything "old", and anything that is sold to you has atleast a hefty percentage added to the original price just because of it being "vintage".

Attached: rolandjp6_apr83_p23.jpg (1600x1048, 535K)

>Vintage
>3 a : a period of origin or manufacture

They dont make new old things, it's that simple.

>an item described as ‘vintage’ should speak of the era in which it was produced. Vintage can mean an item is of a certain period of time, as in “vintage 1950’s” but it can also mean (and probably always should) that the item exhibits the best of a certain quality, or qualities, associated with or belonging to that specific era. In other words, for the term vintage to accurately apply to it, an item should be somewhat representational and recognizable as belonging to the era in which it was made
>Ruby Lane also suggests that ‘vintage’ should not be used in reference to objects less than 20 years old
Considering most of the epitomic synths are at least 30 years old at this point I find vintage to be fitting term

So I've been looking at a few virtual analog synths like the virus series and the studiologic sledge recently and all they all seem much to smooth and sterile, very close to boring vsts. Is this simply a problem of programming them incorrectly or is sound simply a characteristic of modern VAs for a neutral canvas to work with and modify externally? Most patches people demonstrate in the videos are shit so that makes me doubt their abilities to dial in the characteristics that make real analogs sought after soundwise. I never tried one of these more recent VAs but shouldn't it be possible to introduce some osc drift and bass EQ with a bit of drive in order to get close to vintage tones with more character? Ideally these devices should be the analogs of old on steroids with added waves, samples, voices, release times etc.

Attached: Studiologic-Sledge-01.jpg (900x700, 368K)

bumpu

>The System-1 is monophonic, I dig it, but it's not for everyone

It's 4-voice poly actually unless you are using the sh-101 plug-out.

also the keybed is shit. Even worse than the mininova which has minikeys.

Did they ever release another plug-out? The few times I tried one it only had the sh-101

SH-2 and System 100. It's honestly difficult finding information on where to buy them or how many plug outs are available to it. They dropped it hard.