Now that the dust has settled what is the official Yea Forums consensus on Neil Young?

Now that the dust has settled what is the official Yea Forums consensus on Neil Young?

youtube.com/watch?v=n2MtEsrcTTs

Attached: neil young harvest moon.png (902x685, 452K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uX9k9aoX6gk
youtube.com/watch?v=dh5KHaNkIv0
youtube.com/watch?v=HOgSTD7Kjrw
youtube.com/watch?v=mp0URt_o0YU
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

i don't get him. i've tried listening to every album in his discog and shut it off after a few tracks. i like plenty of music that is similar in style to him, but none of his music.

Which musics?

He had a run many artists would kill to have, but don't bother with any of his 21st century output which is just old man yells at cloud over the same two chords.

He's great. He'd be even better if he didn't have the vocal timbre of an old asian woman. The Dead Man soundtrack is tits.

He's good, even his new stuff us alright if a bit old.

Really good, at his prime he wrote some music that fucked with me and still does to this day

He's up there with Bowie and Bruce for most consistent artist of the era.

What's wrong with his voice?

>music that fucked with me and still does to this day
which songs senpai

The Needle and the Damage Done is one of the best heroin songs ever and unfortunately, it's still just as relevant today as it was in 1972.

Living With War was good for the laughs anyway. If only he hadn't then thought it was a good idea to play those songs live...

>mfw the Pono fiasco
Why did a 67 year old man with severe tinnitus decide he was a judge of audio quality?

Tired Eyes, Ambulance Blues, Thrasher
rlly the entirety of "Tonight's the Night"

cortez the killer is one of the greatest guitar solos of all time and neil is one of the best guitarists/songwriters ever
youtube.com/watch?v=uX9k9aoX6gk

Live music is better. Bumper stickers will be issued.

Definitely among the absolute best to come out of the 60s counterculture in general, this song in particular speaks directly to my soul
youtube.com/watch?v=dh5KHaNkIv0

Typical long, slow, dirgy 70s AOR piece with a lot of jamming. But I like it though.

its maximum feel and so expressive, its more or less just an extended jam but i wish it never had to end

A lot of his 70s output is particularly potent and heartfelt because he survived all of the excess of the late 60s and saw a lot of his friends lost to heroin and other substances. The guy is the cream of the crop when it comes to songwriters in general, and some of his best songs are about leaving old friends behind because they've become "dead weight"
like in thrasher: youtube.com/watch?v=HOgSTD7Kjrw

Freedom [Reprise, 1989]
For years it seemed pointless to wonder when he'd find his bearings--his bearings in relation to what exactly? Maybe he still had great albums in him, but the music world had passed him by and the eccentricity that was his saving grace was no longer an effective weapon against the mechanization of pop, which had to either be ignored altogether or taken to the mat. So apropros of nothing, he comes up with a classic Neil Young album, deploying both the rock gallumph and folk ditties that made him famous, as well as the horn charts and Nashvilleisms that made him infamous. Aside from sad male chauvinist love songs, there's a bunch of good stuff here including a song about something no rocker white or black has done much with to my knowledge--crack (although maybe having a Yalie instead of a cowboy in the White House helped). Does it mean he's found his bearings? Maybe not. Would I still put it past him? Definitely not. A-

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

>Aside from sad male chauvinist love songs

You just had to get this in here, didn't you Bob?

Broken Arrow is a really underrated album.

>(although maybe having a Yalie instead of a cowboy in the White House helped)
chuckled audibly

Neil played in a Canadian band with Rick James once when they were kids.

lyl white males right? XD

Too bad critics never seemed to realize the obvious, that punk is not an expressive genre, its emotional range is really limited and you can't do something this poignant and emotional on a 90 second track with two chords.

I've only heard the first two songs on After the Gold Rush but they are goat folk rock.

Attached: beautiful.png (512x512, 308K)

This song hits me like a brick every time I hear it.
youtube.com/watch?v=mp0URt_o0YU

I wouldn't cast out psychedelic pill and Le Noise, if you haven't heard those, check them out

He is the only person in the world I consider my hero

FWIW Cuckgau also said that the Maggot Brain title cut was a great piece of schlock guitar when if you read about it, George Clinton asked Eddie Hazel to "Imagine your mother had died. How would you feel in that situation?"

Jesus fuck, what an asshole. Also didn't he claim Jonathan Davis wasn't really abused/raped as a kid and it was just faked for marketing purposes?

Yes.

Critics are incapable of believing that sincere art can exist outside of politics. Everything else has to be ironic, self-aware vulgarity.

They also cannot into beauty, everything has to be ugly.

WHERE THE FUCK IS HOMEGROWN NEIL

IT COULDA BEEN YOUR PINK MOON NEIL

Redpilled leaf.

Easily the best Canadian rock musician and probably in the top 10 rock musicians of all time. The breadth of his work that is not only listenable, engaging, and deep/sincere is incredible. Though he's had low points in his career, his highs have been impossible to ignore and more importantly to not love. I saw him in Quebec City at a music festival last summer and was blown away despite his age, he still has that important connection that every great artist has, emotion to art. Thank god for Neil Young.