WTF, my brother told me this album is great, I just listened to it and now I want to kill myself

WTF, my brother told me this album is great, I just listened to it and now I want to kill myself.

Attached: stained class.jpg (220x220, 12K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RtP4K8ihe3g
youtube.com/watch?v=OsIfkdDnRf4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

.ti oD

Do it.

Ok

I felt the same way when I listened to Ram it Down.

8/10 A side
3/10 B side

How did they manage to do it bros

BTROD is a depressing song, I know. It's the one track I tend to skip, not because the song is bad or anything, it just makes you suicidal.

For some reason, Invader is widely considered the worst song on here but it's p. fun. Don't know what the hate is.

I like their song JUDAS PRIEST

WE ARE THE PRIEST BUT WE ARE JUDAS
DO NOT ASK WHY WE WOULD DO THIS
ROCKING NOW AND ROCKING LATER
ROLLING LIKE AN ALLIGATOR

Meltdown [1970s]

Everything Rocks and Nothing Ever Dies [1990s]

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

I think it just has tough competition. I like the riff for invader and the intro. Hero's End is the worst song on the album though.

Not too many other songs have that effect, the Beatles--So Tired does. I can't listen to it without becoming suicidally depressed.

Me, I say Savage is the worst song on the album.

Attached: Anybody care what this guy thinks.jpg (640x480, 54K)

Like with most of their albums the first two tracks are the strongest ones.

Maybe not the strongest but probably the least intense and easiest to listen to.

You know, it's ironic how he once wrote "It's always been my theory that good rock and roll had damn well better make you uneasy."

Well then since metal apparently makes him very uneasy, it's good rock and roll and doing what it's supposed to, right? :^)

What went wrong?

Attached: nuPriest.jpg (220x220, 13K)

Nothing after Turbo is canon as far as I'm concerned.

Cuckgau doesn't have enough self-awareness to realize that, user.

Who is the strongest of the Priest mech gods?

Attached: judas.jpg (970x592, 286K)

The early Priest albums were just a little too dark/intense for American audiences so they had to kind of buttrock it up from Hell Bent onward.

Power Rankings

Painkiller
Exciter = Sinner
Starbreaker
Metallian
Hellion
Nightcrawler = Juggulator

Hey Bob, how many songs have you written? How many instruments can you play? How many records have you cut?

Haven't heard this one, but Jugulator has some pretty good songs. Ripper wasn't a bad replacement.

Why? The new(er) drummer is a beast and some of their best albums have been put out since then.

It's the chef fallacy again: I cannot criticize the food in a restaurant because I am not the cook.

Jugulator was pretty embarrassing and cringy especially when you consider that a 50 year old man wrote songs with names like Dead Meat and Burn in Hell. Also aside from Bullet Train and Cathedral Spires, the guitars are lazy and phoned in.

Glenn Tipton was never much of a songwriter, but that's just painful. I saw a forum post somewhere once where someone asked if it was really his 13 year old son writing those songs.

>all bangers no filler
how did they do it bros?

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 13K)

It's kind of in sharp contrast when you consider Halford's songwriting on the two Fight albums was really good and quite mature compared with the horrible cheese on the two Ripper Owens albums.

Why didn't Ripper write any songs himself?

"Violator
Big mistake
Mutilate
Vindicator
Rib cage break"

The lyrics were the best part of Jugulator though, I legit loled at a few parts.

Halford was moving forward in a more natural way, Priest was more trying to compete with the younger edgier metal scene

I like all the stuff being discussed though

Actually it's like the other guy said, Tipton is just not much of a songwriter and even if you go back to the classic albums, most of the more cheesy metal posturing kinds of songs (Killing Machine comes to mind) were written by him.

Well it's actually a little of both since Fight was Halford's attempt to channel Pantera, which he was completely obsessed with for a while.

like JP but better
youtube.com/watch?v=RtP4K8ihe3g

Read KK Downing's biography. Glenn Tipton was actually a huge dick

Claimed he was too overawed by Tipton and Downing and felt too shy to write any songs so he just let them do it. Polite way of saying they considered him just hired help the way Paul Stanley and Gene Simmons do with all their band members and not an actual member of the band with any say in anything.

From some of Glenn's interviews, he comes off as a typically meatheaded, provincial British chav.

During one of Priest's early US tours in the late 70s, he told a Chicago DJ that "American bands are one of two types. You either have the KISS kinds of band where it's all about the effects and stage show, or the California bands like the Eagles where it's very laid-back and slick. Whereas the British groups have that balance of being both raw and at the same time polished and refined. For Americans it always seems that everything has to be very polished and perfect before they can go on stage."

Actually a lot of Priest interviews from the early days had them shitting on KISS and saying they were a carnival act and not real musicians. They seemed to really regard them as the 70s Nickelback or something.

They weren't wrong desu.

Poor Downing. He and Ian Hill were the two founding members of the band and soon got pushed to irrelevance.

A critic is a parasite. They make their living off the work of actually talented people.

Saints in Hell I'm pretty sure is supposed to be about the Biblical story of God casting Lucifer and his minions out of Heaven so they return to wreak havoc on mankind.

Source? I've never seen that.

Depending on timeline that's interesting, if that happened in their "hippie/prog" days still, I would see how, because it wasn't too long before they tailored themselves in a quite KISS like way for American audiences....more emphasis on costumes and theatrics, writing more hooky anthemic songs, even opened for KISS on tour pretty much at the same time of that change in direction and image which they would only go farther in that direction afterwards, which of course made them famous in the USA

Attached: kissreturn.jpg (477x446, 70K)

I thought it was about the army of God going to earth to retrieve the Holy grail from Satan

Tipton also said during the '79 tour "I like to believe we are part of the New Wave. After all, it's fast and exciting, and that's what we're all about."

I actually kind of like this one. Cuckgau et al would have stroked out if they'd heard that.

Yeah it was one really early interview with a British magazine from before they even toured the US where Halford shits on KISS. And then a later one from the 80s where he said "The 79 tour was where we really started to take over from KISS. The thing they were doing, the whole cartoony superheroes from space bit, was quickly going out of style while what we were doing was fast coming into style. We were real people with real names and real faces."

To be fair I think KISS themselves had more to do with their own falling out of fashion than anyone else taking over, that was the Dynasty tour aka "Disco Kiss" and when they really started to be viewed as a kiddy band due to going overboard with the dolls and lunchoxes and garbage bins and bubblegum and everything else, and then of course they released two more albums that were a far cry from anything hard rock, making themselves less and less relevant to the fanbase they previously ruled.

As for Priest, it's funny because in the 80's they had some songs that were pretty much KISS songs.
youtube.com/watch?v=OsIfkdDnRf4

Attached: KISS-395479-1149583704.jpg (600x600, 158K)

It was inevitable. Music tastes changed and KISS's schtick had gotten tired and people were burned out on them from overexposure. They'd become the biggest touring act in America in 1977-78 and there was nowhere to go from there but back down.

I can't really think of a KISS song that sounds like that other than maybe Crazy Nights.

I'd argue if anything Parental Guidance was probably inspired by Twisted Sister.

Eh, I mean it's obviously Priest but to me it's a very KISS like song, I also don't think KISS and Twisted Sister are too dissimilar, obviously more "80s" than "70s" but conceptually basically the same kind of thing, just fist pumping anthemic guitar music.

Also Crazy Nights is a great song, it and Tomorrow and Tonight are my favorite "KISS anthems", Rock And Roll All Night has always been boring to me even when I was first listening to KISS music.

The transition of Priest to leather and studs and shorter, simpler songs was partially because wearing robes and doing prog epics had gone out of style and they were taking some cues from punk. And of course trying more to appeal to Americans.

As I'd mentioned, the early albums were a little too dark and intense for 70s American kids who were used to thinking rock and roll sounded like REO Speedwagon, but Sin After Sin and Stained Class were (and critics take note) both strong UK sellers, during the height of punk no less.

Did Ripper fare better in Priest or Iced Earth?

Attached: icedearthframing.jpg (1500x1500, 375K)

Well, and Rob's interest in gay culture although he's admitted he never actually did BDSM.

>Rob's interest in gay culture
You mean him being gay?

I started off with this one, and my God it's so amazing

Attached: Screenshot_20190320-235557~2.png (1080x1076, 1.13M)

Ripper is a great vocalist but boring as fuck live, he has no stage presence at all.

I think Sad Wings of Destiny is slightly better, but this is still a great album.

How the fuck is this so good? This is easily the best thing they've made since Painkiller.

Attached: cc6-g9.jpg (2000x2000, 696K)

The Painkiller title track seems to be a cut and paste job ala AJFA. If you look at the tabs for that song, it seems physically impossible unless you have a third hand. Now I've never looked at live performances of the song, but I kind of doubt Glenn was ever able to play most of those guitar parts live.

Well Twisted Sister were influenced by KISS, that whole 80's glam metal thing was for the most part

They were both New York bands and contemporaries although TS embraced metal a lot more thoroughly at least until their MTV pop rock move in the mid-80s.

Ehhh It's an odd case, they were contemporaries in the sense that they had been around as musicians at the same time KISS was in some form as a local band, so it's not like they were babies like say Poison or a lot of the other 80's bands, but Twisted Sister wasn't really known to the world or had any music released until the 80's while KISS blew up in the 70's obviously and had put out a whole bunch of albums by then.

I do know Dee has talked a lot about having been a huge KISS fan though, regardless.

He also made a solo album in the late 90s in which we also learned that singing is not his forte either.

It is my favourite song off the whole album, imo the greatest heavy metal solo.

>imo the greatest heavy metal solo
Downing's solo on Victim of Changes gives it a run for its money though.

I like in Little Nicky

Great album

you're right it does suck

>I just listened to it and now I want to kill myself.
that's the true magic of Priest imo. They cover such a wide emotional range, way wider than the vast majority of metal music. The people in this thread talking about Rob's maturity as a writer aren't the slightest bit wrong, the guy is pretty brilliant at delivering some real emotional heft

A couple rapping parts, otherwise it's a perfectly good alt metal album

Iced Earth is underrated, they're not one of the best bands ever but they get thrown under the bus for being "entry level" by faggot fans who only like cookie monster music.

>they released two more albums that were a far cry from anything hard rock
Music from the Elder is a pleb filter.

I'm not saying they were "bad" albums, they just alienated their audience of 70's headbangers

They didn't want to hear the disco influenced rock, power pop, or attempt at an artsy fartsy concept album.

If it sounds good who cares