Attached: christgau.jpg (1113x664, 97K)

Those who can't do, criticize.

>Rock Critics
>American Rock Critics
>Dean of American Rock Critics
Oof
Big oof
Bigger oof

"The fact that he's the one who decided who gets exposed in New York was sort of getting on our nerves. Christgau started getting bugged by people like Tim Sommer, who really wanted to write about us. And Christgau says "Yeah, I don't see it." So finally he decided to do an article on us, and he gets this guy named Picarella, and it was a really nasty thing they wrote about us. I wrote him a letter that was a diatribe, and his letter back said that it didn't matter. After that I wanted to do a song about slicing up Christgau, and it turned out to be the advice-to-the-lovelorn 'Kill Yr Idols'. So we put that out and people started digging on it. And I was getting calls from people like Giorgio Gomelsku, who wanted to put on an anti-Christgau festival. My feeling was that we'd said our piece; there was no need to keep attacking the guy. One night he went to see the Replacements and some kid tried to light him on fire. He blamed it on us. "Bands like Sonic Youth are telling kids to kill me." he wrote. And he was getting really paranoid. He wrote me a letter saying "Don't ever expect to see your albums in 'Christgau's Consumer Guide', and I wrote back 'Boo fucking hoo.'"

Attached: thurston moore.jpg (250x351, 23K)

That ain't Antoinette Fantony

Yeah fuck this guy. He's an even bigger poseur and scene tourist than Christgau.

At least he's actually picked up a guitar and written music. What has Cuckgau ever done except make snarky two-sentence insults about bands?

Wasn't he the one who gave himself that title?

Yeah he claims it was a joke he made at a party in the 70s after a few drinks.

>hey I was only pretending to be retarded

I doubt he was drunk when he called himself a rock intellectual.

Why is this hack still alive?

>rock critics being anything but clowns

BASED CHRISTGAU.

Dean of wankers more like--it pains me to read his word salad. BUT somehow, his taste is half decent even if his rationalizations are awful

People are taking the actionpill

>BUT somehow, his taste is half decent
No I'm sorry Dirty Work will never be a good album no matter what excuses he invents.

The 80s seems to have been his worst period, a lot of his biggest facepalm and butthurt-tier writings and reviews are from that time.

It was a bad time for him and a lot of his boomer peers. They were having a midlife crisis as they turned 40, and most of their beliefs were anathema to the cultural climate of the decade. To be sure, they also didn't like the mass popularity of metal during the 80s, but if anything it was less the music itself they disliked than what it symbolized, which was the wholesale rejection of 60s values. Beating on metal like a pinata was a way for guys like Christgau to take out their frustration on how the politics and culture had changed into something they didn't care for.

Then the 90s came

I remember an article about Abbie Hoffman from the 80s where the writer commented on how "The 47 year old former Yippie admits he feels a little out of touch. He doesn't 'get' today's young people or their music. 'I notice how disinterested the kids these days are in politics or changing the world.' Hoffman says. 'Whenever there's some injustice out there, it's people my age who are protesting it.'"

Typical boomer egomania.
>as if tons of 20-something bands like U2 and most thrash metal didn't have politics or weren't complaining about the arms race or other shit like that

Source on this?
I hate Sonic Youth, but I hate Christgau considerably more.

Attached: 1525387708814.gif (320x240, 954K)

That and he probably like most boomers had lost any awareness of music outside of top 40. If all you heard was Material Girl and Heaven Is A Place On Earth at the mall, you'd probably also get that impression.

I'm sure you can find some stuff online about the Sonic Youth-Christgau feud. Suffice to say Christgau made a _lot_ of enemies in the NYC music scene back then including Swans, SY, Stranglers, Lou Reed, James Chance, and more.