ITT album everyone loves but you

ITT album everyone loves but you.

Pic related.
I swear I'm not trying to be a contrarian but...
this was pretty disappointing. Half of it is boring, dragging, whiny shit.

Attached: Radiohead.okcomputer.albumart.jpg (300x300, 88K)

Other urls found in this thread:

greenplastic.com/radiohead-lyrics/ok-computer/paranoid-android/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

plebfiltered

It's depressing as fuck. I guess RYM is full of sad bastards.

It's a product of its time, both in sentiment and style. Quintessentially 1997.

Attached: cover.gif (377x375, 65K)

>Half of it is boring, dragging, whiny shi

listen to In Rainbows then. has tinges of depression but usually upbeat

pic very related. I love the beatles but cannot get into this. The Smile Sessions is only marginally better than this

Attached: 220px-PetSoundsCover.jpg (220x220, 22K)

pet sounds

it sounds like incel music

>In Rainbows
>usually upbeat

In Rainbows is an existential crisis glossed up as a digestible pop record. It SOUNDS smooth and easy but the sentiments are almost universally downbeat.

Bob Dylan in general. Maybe because I'm ESL and I can't seem to focus on lyrics in other languages, but it's just ok compared to its reputation, musically.

don’t know what ESL is but I totally agree

based and redpilled
cringe and bluepilled

SATURATION 1,2 and 3. there's like one or 2 stand out songs on each but the rest are bland

English as a Second Language.

I like all the songs, but dogs is the only spectacular one. Sheep and Pigs are both excellent but imo this album isnt as perfect as everyone says

Attached: animals.jpg (220x220, 20K)

Ah yes, everyone as in neurotic wannabe hipster collegethots and numale soÿboys?

There's a lot I don't like but I think I actually have a hard time enjoying songs that have been played too much and that everyone sings like zombies cause I'm a snowflake. Stuff like Nirvana, The Beatles...

>cringe and bluepilled
Yeah I know 99,9999% of people are all over Dylan. But it's probably more for the lyrics, right?
I should probably listen to it while reading the lyrics.

This.

Attached: loveless.jpg (500x500, 25K)

I don't think most people say it's perfect. If anything it's got contrarian cred because Wish You Were Here is very similar stylistically and usually takes the spotlight. Though I do prefer Animals and generally agree with your assessment

I liked Kid A way better

The only songs of this album I think genuinely sound depressing are Lucky and Fitter Happier.

"Exit Music","Climbing up the walls" are dark,
"Let down","The Tourist" are dream-like, "No Surprises" is like a lullaby, etc.

I've honestly never thought of OKC as depressing.

Don't get any big ideas
They're not gonna happen :(

>boring
That's because everything after OKC was trying to emulate their style and if you didn't know OKC before listening to most mainstream rock since then, you would be pretty bored with it. Contextually, there's nothing that screams "1997" and captures the Y2K fear around that time as good as this album does. Many of the themes of societal alienation and modern technology still hold completely true to this day, due to the abstract lyrics.

>this was pretty disappointing. Half of it is boring, dragging, whiny shit.
lol

dont get me wrong its good but its one of their weaker records, its lacking a lot of the sharp instrumentation from their other albums

Attached: artworks-000006684777-ybgmdr-t500x500.jpg (500x500, 111K)

All the lyrics on that album are sad as shit. If those were a random person's thoughts, it would make people go "Damn dude, are you okay? I'm here for you if you need me"

Yeah, I feel the same way. I love drone music and noise, I just don't get this album though

This. Thought was going to listen to the greatest piece of hip hop music ever, but left really disappointed. Mm food is much better imo

Attached: F8F099CB-2CC8-4578-B581-B2BE5262073D.jpg (500x500, 48K)

I've enjoyed stuff that is similar to this, but for whatever reason this album doesn't really strike me as great other than the first track

Attached: gridiron.jpg (896x896, 188K)

I don't like that approach. There's tons of waaaay older albums, in all decades even, that hold up very well and are still impressive when you first discover them

Except OKC holds up too.

For me it's a great album, but I can see what is happening here, you pretty much got memed son, as this is only the contrarian choice of Yea Forums to avoid praising dark side of the moon

Pic related. It's weird considering the fact fact the I love More Songs, Fear of Music and Speaking in Tongues, but Remain in Light does absolute nothing for me.

Probably because Loveless isn't really drone or noise but rather loud, tremolo arm'd pop rock that's been fuzzed the everloving fuck out.

Forgot the pic i'm retarded.

Attached: R-116416-1133382892.jpeg.jpg (600x597, 98K)

Does I Zimbra rank among your favorites on Fear of Music? That song is literally proto-RiL.

What is stuff similar to this that you enjoy?

I like I Zimbra but it's not one of my fav. My fav is Life During Wartime

I know the RYM meme but c'mon!

that's why it's so good man. it's a brilliant juxtaposition between the sound and the subject matter

i've never thought about radiohead in general as depressing. i mean, they have some really depressing moments, but on the whole their music is just neurotic. it's just weird more than sad imo

however, No Surprises is a pretty damn sad song. musically it's comfy as fuck, but lyrically he's talking about suicide. it's a lullaby sure, but a damn sad one at that

Ofc radiohead is fucking depressing, wtf? Look at these people, no wonder you read so many shit posted on this board about the band, faggot underages doesn't even get it

Probably the second most relevant step towards their development into the RiL style. At least for its first half anyways. I think the trick of that album is that it pulled the band simultaneously in more rhythmic/textured and ambient/atmospheric directions, depending on the album side in question. Aside from still being rooted in Byrne's neuroticism it doesn't really have much to do with the actual sound of their first 3, with only those two tracks on Fear of Music really foreshadowing anything. I'd take a crack at figuring out liking SiT but not RiL but I've gotta be honest, I straight up don't like SiT myself so I can't really make that call.

i mean, if you think that people can't interpret art differently from you then i think you're probably the one who "doesn't get it"

Why all Radiohead fans sound like complete faggots?

not him, but i agree that SiL ain't that great. it's repetitive imo

I agree that the run of albums from OK Computer to Amnesiac are definitively more neurotic than depressing but everything else? I'd say In Rainbows and A Moon Shaped Pool definitely stray away enough from neurotic into depressing, their first 2 and Hail to the Thief are just sort of defeatist, and King of Limbs probably being the closest thing to a happy album they've made with its serene, "at peace with oneself" levels of introspection.

Well yeah, it sort of is that by design. It's extremely rhythmic in the first half so it sets into grooves and sticks with them, while the back half can almost feel formless and dreary as it slows down.

Because you feel intellectually threatened

King of Limbs sounds like Thom had some kind of Eastern religious epiphany or some shit

in rainbows is definitely a mid-life crisis

AMSP is the process of coming to peaceful terms with your demons

i do get that, it's meant to be danceable and groovy. i just feel like they hit the ideal balance on RiL, and that SiT is too lacking in qualities that are essential to that balance

>Thought was going to listen to the greatest piece of hip hop music ever, but left really disappointed.
Might need a few listens for it to click with you
>Mm food is much better imo
Based and DOOMpilled

I felt the whole album was boring

The earlier Death Grips records aren't mixed that well IMO but Exmilitary is still a 9 for me

I keep trying to like this album but it hurts my ears too much

Imo one of their worst albums
Government plates > exmilitary > the powers that B > bottomless pit > fashion week > the money store > no love deep web > year of the snitch

Attached: 92b8f8f351a0436e0456ba5b6f4599a0_large.jpg (600x600, 122K)

Oh, you typed "SiL" so I sort of assumed you meant RiL.

the steffon hawkin part was so cringey hly fuck yorky boi

Confession : it's basically all the same feel for me. I mean I like them all but I don't feel they ever got worse or better.

damn these acronyms

le antibiotics

much consumerism

muh daily routine

Hot take, Fitter Happier's one of my favorite songs on the album not for being lolsodeep, but more in just the oppressive atmosphere it creates. Yeah, it's on the nose but the somber melodies and the text to speech droning on about billboards Thom Yorke read or some shit still creates this sense of cynical detachment that I just sort of like getting lost in.

I'll chalk this up to aging poorly.
joy division influenced bands >>> joy division

Attached: 41U9auELXtL._SY355_.jpg (355x355, 12K)

if i'm not mistaken, they made it just to have a laugh. i don't think it was meant to be taken so seriously as some people do

in that sense, i get the appeal. it's just a weird little interlude and it's pretty memorable

You are fucktards

It's aged alright but it is a bit overrated. The distant, spacious production's a bit of a mixed bag, makes it very situational listening. Like this thing is not gonna shine in the middle of a crowded street over, say, your bedroom in the dead of night. I don't think the sincerity of Ian's lyrics can be denied, though. Still, I personally think Closer is better.

i honestly dont know how anyone listens to them past the powers that b, like for real bottomless pit and yots suck dick.

Dunno if they did that for Fitter Happier but they definitely did that with Paranoid Android. They were just shitting about and stitched that one together for shiggles.

only difference is paranoid android is a good song and fitter happier is a skip every time

No I don't think thats true

interesting how they can just shit around and still manage to make a GOAT song

>greenplastic.com/radiohead-lyrics/ok-computer/paranoid-android/
>Colin Greenwood admitted the band, in attempting it to see if they could make the disparate elements work together, “felt like irresponsible schoolboys who were doing this … naughty thing, ’cause nobody does a six-and-a-half-minute song with all these changes. It’s ridiculous”. The song was at first intended to be humorous, and took its title from Marvin the Paranoid Android from Douglas Adams’ The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series of books. Yorke has said the title “was chosen as a joke. It was like, ‘Oh, I’m so depressed.’ And I just thought, that’s great. That’s how people would like me to be. And that was the end of writing about anything personal in the song. The rest of the song is not personal at all.” In an early interview, Colin Greenwood described it “just a joke, a laugh, getting wasted together over a couple of evenings and putting some different pieces together”. The band used Queen’s “Bohemian Rhapsody” and the work of the Pixies as reference points while writing; yet Ed O’Brien denies they wrote “a ‘Bohemian Rhapsody’ for the nineties”, while Jonny Greenwood considers it too tense and simple to rival Queen’s song.

Sorry what is this supposed to prove?

Read it, the song wasn't conceived as a terribly serious thing. They were messing around and putting shit together because they could.

>Read it,
I did. Doesn't say anything about "shitting about" or "shits and giggles".

Having the audacity to make a 6 minute alt-rock opus =/= shits n giggles

>Colin Greenwood described it “just a joke, a laugh, getting wasted together over a couple of evenings and putting some different pieces together”.

It just hasnt clicked yet trust me. maybe give it some time then go back to it

>>Colin Greenwood
That retarded looking guy doesn't know shit

Considering he's a band member I'd take him at his word before many, many others. As an aside, I didn't even share the part of the article where the song was originally 14 minutes long and Thom admitted to nearly pissing himself on stage while performing this early version over all the silly bullshit that eventually got edited out the like glockenspiels, rave sections and organ solos. Not making this up, go read it.

Not needed, I've read it before. He's exaggerating. Go listen to actual bootlegs of that tour with Alanis. It doesn't exist as described like that

They are just being modest. A song of that calibre is not a bullshit song.

Hmm, dunno why they'd be that way about it but I guess it's possible they'd shoot the shit if asked about it, especially given their marked disdain for prog so wanting to make a silly story of it seems like a thing they might do.

they weren't really aiming for prog though. they saw it more in the vein of songs like a Day in the Life or Bohemian Rhapsody

Yeah, but in the bootleg I just saw (which did have an organ solo at least), Thom quipped about it being a prog rock song.

yeah, so they stripped it down to a less pseudo-prog level

good decision on their part. that's one thing i like about them, they have restraint and they know when they are going too far

But that does go back a bit to the original point of the song's conception. It got edited down to what it is but I still question how silly they were being when they were making it if something like that was initially in. I mean, how much of what they're saying is a lie in regards to the initial take of the song?

I have no idea what people see in this
the fact that people don't see MBV as their infinitely better sequel baffles me
literally what the fuck?

these guys just love music, it's as simple as that imo. they're obviously very eclectic and have a ton of influences. they like to play with music and tinker around with it. you get a song like paranoid android because these guys tinkered around with a bunch of different sounds until they found a balance that they liked.

i don't think they had anything in mind at the beginning other than a bunch of loose ideas for melodies, chord progressions, techniques and instruments that just so happened to become paranoid android

Isn't Anything has less complacent songwriting but I think the band's performances and sound are MUCH better on Loveless. Even Colm's parts are played much more tastefully than what he did on pretty much any IA cut and his bits were mostly looped and sampled.

Well sure. I just find it amusing that even if they were taking the piss a bit at the outset they could still take that and pare it down into the song we know Paranoid Android as today.

To Be Kind

Sorta this. I don't hate TBK but it's easily my least favorite post-revival Swans album.

ahhh, then yeah i agree

TMR
radiohead
deathgrips
daughters
xiu xiu
I really hate faggscore

while the blue album perfectly encapsulates a part of the 90's, i feel pinkerton only has the parts that have aged like milk

Attached: tfw no japanese gf.png (600x600, 542K)

Any swans record