Slayer? Metallica? Anthrax? Megadeth? Honest opinion!

Slayer? Metallica? Anthrax? Megadeth? Honest opinion!

Attached: 2DF2773B-8C1F-4272-81A1-348071EE6783.jpg (384x600, 39K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=egJAc-FDtT4
youtube.com/watch?v=I4bMEP1iTso
youtube.com/watch?v=isYmSQks5Z4
youtube.com/watch?v=Aqe0jodb280
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Slayer
based
>Metallica
utter shit
>Anthrax
utter shit
>Megadeth
meh

Slayer
Nu-male s.oyboy wimps fuck off and die

Attached: R-992664-1269020357.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 91K)

Ur fuckin dumb

Megadeth>slayer>metallica>anthrax
I have mathematically proved this, no need to carry on further.

Slayer was one of my favorite bands through out my teens and early 20s but I've kind of gotten to the point where I think all the people who say Slayer is boring were kind of right, once the shock appeal/edge appeal stops being something you're super turned on by...they don't offer too much greatness

Metallica is one of the greatest bands of all time, purely based on their first five albums. Doesn't matter what they do beyond that point, they achieved status as greatness.

Megadeth is just a good metal band.

Anthrax is an okay metal band, they have some good songs and records, don't know if I'd call them great.

Anthrax!!!!!!!!!!

>once the shock appeal/edge appeal stops being something you're super turned on by...they don't offer too much greatness
cringe as fuck. Slayer riffed hard in the 80s

>Slayer?
Influential for more extreme metal but completely overshadowed by the genres they influenced. Should be the most forgotten and dated band in the big four
>Metallica?
Influential in the beginning, Black Album and Load get a ton of shit but are still better than the dude metal that was taking over at the time.
>Anthrax?
Good time music, great live energy and presence, probably aged the best since two of their best albums came out in the 2010s. Arguably more vapid that Slayer
>Megadeth?
Best riffs in thrash, Dave's weird Metallica hatred/worship had mixed results. 3 bad albums in a 15 album discography is impressive at least

>still better than the dude metal that was taking over at the time.
Like what? Pantera?

Attached: Pantera.jpg (625x417, 75K)

Attached: FB_IMG_1552592882062.jpg (720x712, 75K)

>Like what? Pantera?
Exactly. Pantera's dudebro bullshit and Sepultura's Roots did more damage to metal than Metallica fagging out ever did

The problem with all those is that they are too juvenile to be taken seriously.

The Nefilim is the true answer.
If only because they know their subject matter.

Attached: zoon.jpg (480x360, 17K)

>Pantera's dudebro bullshit

Attached: maxresdefault (7).jpg (1280x720, 72K)

for me, its metallica

Attached: megadeth.jpg (750x420, 182K)

Nice meme react. Keep defending bad music bro

Wait a minute....
I love Skid Row, you can't fool me

Skid Row? for real? Thats Stryker, dog.

How can you confuse those cats for an aussie power electronics project?

>Slayer?
one trick pony strictly for metalheads.

>Metallica?
their 80s were really good. Kirk is shit.

>Anthrax?
never understood the appeal. Sound completely generic IMO. Scott seems like a cool dude.

>Megadeth?
always shadowing Metallica. Some good albums.
Dave is cringy as fuark and seems to hsd the typical bullied boy schoolarship. It transfers to his music and his singing.

it wasnt easy, but i got it done

love me some ac/dc m8

UK Metal > US Metal

>bullied boy schoolarship.

What is this?

Slayer is great for what they do, but a bit one note. Seasons in the Abyss is my personal favorite for them, but musically, topically, technically, they don't stack up to Metallica or Megadeth. Dave Lombardo is a better drummer than Lars obviously, but Cliff was a better bassist than Tom. Metallica had more varied song structure and time signatures, better lyrics covering wider range of topics. Megadeth had the best musicians out of any of them, a lot of cringy metal tropes and a tongue in cheek humor about the whole thing, but that's part of Megadeth's charm for me. In a genre of extremes like metal, those who take it the furthest do the most for me, so the band that takes the cake is Megadeth. They might not have been as consistent as Metallica, but they took it to greater heights. To me Megadeth showed us the limits of metal in that variation. Rust In Peace stands as the towering achievement of that genre. Master of Puppets is really a great album full of great songs, but I prefer the dazzling technical displays of Friedman's solos rather than Kirk's one solo that he always does. I prefer Dave's smartassedness over James' "epic" and serious lyric writing, as it seems more realistic and grounded in reality. Megadeth retained a punk attitude where Metallica tried to go larger than life. It really is a matter of preference for lyrics, and musically I think it's just what itch you're trying to scratch. Metallica's varied time signatures lend to captivating listens, but Mustaine's rhythm guitar work is more fun to me. Anthrax just doesn't stack up to the others imo. I think their revolving door of vocalists who didn't fit thrash that well were my main gripe, and they were cheesy at times. SOD were better.

my honest opinion is that bringing up this conversation in the current year is the most wince-worthy thing you can do you're just outing yourself as a fucking retard

Lol you're a fucking idiot desu.

slayer is gay

>one trick pony strictly for metalheads.
imagine actually fucking thinking this while praising metallica, jesus christ.

t. nu-male

metallica is much more varied, and the fact that they're so popular proves they aren't strictly for metalheads.

youtube.com/watch?v=egJAc-FDtT4

Attached: slayer.jpg (612x612, 42K)

Attached: 4ayler.jpg (354x266, 19K)

what are you even talking about, slayer is one of the most popular metal bands so of course they have tons of non metalhead fans. not to mention slayer's first albums all featured a different approach and all of them were good

>all featured a different approach
a different approach to being shit!

so you're admitting i'm right about slayer not being a one trick pony?

>they have tons of non metalhead fans
leave the basement and walk out for a change

no, their one trick is being shit!

Attached: god-listens-to-slayer.jpg (450x326, 37K)

they're a one trick pony

yeah, slayer are extremely popular and the majority of their fans are metalheads, do you realize how retarded that sounds?
your one trick is being a retard

>slayer are extremely popular
define extremely popular in context
as a metal act? sure hell yes. One of the most succesful and popular one.
give some facts like albums sell numbers, tours numbers and concurrrence... dunno some fact that MAY prove they have fans outside the metalhead niche

Metallica have fans outside of metal largely because they have experimented outside of it, you do have a demographic of casual Metallica fans who primarily like the buttrock/country material from them and got into them during that era

As for Slayer, I don't think they have much of that going on....the most I've seen is the occasional hardcore punk fan for whom Slayer is their exception to metal, or the occasional musclehead/jock who isn't into metal as a whole but somehow got introduced to Slayer as work out music

>your one trick is being a retard
at least i'm not as retarded as kerry king!

>As for Slayer, I don't think they have much of that going on....the most I've seen is the occasional hardcore punk fan for whom Slayer is their exception to metal, or the occasional musclehead/jock who isn't into metal as a whole but somehow got introduced to Slayer as work out music
thanks user. you have been honest and I respect that.
My point therefore stands: Slayer is huge within the metal niche but doesn't exist outside it.

Holy crap how can you be this wrong.
Slayer achieved actual art with some of their songs.
Metallica fucking sucks.

Metallica have fans outside of metal because they are boring corporate rock/easy listening.
They're the band normies think of when they think of metal. That should tell you everything.

>not ACDC

>Slayer achieved actual art with some of their songs.
Ok fag.

Used to be a Metallica guy but nowadays I find Megadeth just blows them out of the water. Better riffs, better groove, and better solos (especially Friedman).

What's the best and worst album by each of them?

You guys know just because there's a Big Four doesn't mean you have to keep talking about them, At any time we can make it Metallica Kreator Exodus Megadeth, It's not people actually listen to the Big Bopper now just Buddy Holly/Richie Valens

>not listening to the Big Bopper

All music is art dumbass. And Slayer's level of art is about on the level of schlock trash culture stuff like Cannibal Holocaust or something. Metallica would be more comparable to....well, quite a lot of things really, since they were so very diverse in moods and settings their songs set up.

Slayer > Metallica > Megadeth > Anthrax

Why you may ask?
All of these bands were "good" compared to their contemporaries. They were the genre-pushers that helped us move from hardcore to the metal we know in the 90's. In my opinion, how "good" they were was not only based on how much good music they made but how many risks they took and how many of them paid off.

Slayer pushed an aesthetic in their music and their imagery that obviously took influence from their NWOBHM predecessors (mainly Black Sabbath) but took it one step further. They (and their less influential contemporaries) took further steps to completely abandon the hard rock cornerstones that their predecessors relied on.
Slayer, along with bands like Sodom and Morbid Angel really birthed the concept that later bands that would come out of America and Scandinavia would run with in the 90's. In my personal taste I think that Slayer's run of three albums (Show No Mercy - Hell Awaits - Reign in Blood) was slightly better and took more well rewarded risks than Metallica's string of highly successful albums which is why I put them higher.

Metallica didn't push the aesthetic edge as hard as Slayer, but made up for it in terms of mass appeal. Metallica took more direct influence from the NWOBHM bands (more specifically Venom, Iron Maiden), Prog Rock, and even some heavier glam metal acts (the melodic choruses of Def Leppard, the punk aesthetics of Alice Cooper, Ratt). Metallica used prog elements and glam aesthetic to make thrash more accessible to the average metal fan in the 80's. Some people could go as far to say that they were the deciding factor between thrash being a trend in metal to being a sewn-in influence on the genre.

In my opinion, Megadeth and Anthrax were much more derivative, though Dave Mustaine DOES have a crazy fucking vocal range. I personally enjoy a lot more thrash bangers from Megadeth than Anthrax so I put them higher.

(Cont)
If you want to correct me on this a lot of you oldfags probably know more than I do

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 10.04.31 PM.png (1318x1318, 2.33M)

I agree with this list

I respect your opinion and understand what you're trying to say but there are some fundamental flaws in the details you're presenting, so I may as well point them out.

>that obviously took influence from their NWOBHM predecessors (mainly Black Sabbath) but took it one step further.
Black Sabbath was not NWOBHM, as they predate that movement, but I would probably say early Slayer was really just kind of doing the "Venom thing" of being cartoonishly Satanic, which isn't a bad thing, but wasn't really doing much different...the Slayer sound most are familiar with aka Reign In Blood sound was when they actually kind of innovated a new kind of attitude, with their super serial grimdark edgelord stuff and dropping any tongue and cheek cheese.

>Metallica didn't push the aesthetic edge as hard as Slayer, but made up for it in terms of mass appeal. Metallica took more direct influence from the NWOBHM bands (more specifically Venom, Iron Maiden), Prog Rock, and even some heavier glam metal acts (the melodic choruses of Def Leppard, the punk aesthetics of Alice Cooper, Ratt).
I wouldn't really go that far, for one thing Ratt's debut album came out a year AFTER Metallica's, and even to use another band who came a couple years earlier, Motley Crue, I don't think Metallica was very influenced by them, they really hated what those guys were doing at the time and were trying to rebel against it.

Metallica did definitely have more melodic sensibilities than Slayer, but that's not because of glam metal influence and more of like you said, NWOBHM influence, which was full of super melodic music. If anything it's just that Slayer in particular seemed to take more hardcore punk approach sonically, with the lack of melody and just being based on aggression and all that. Metallica's "punk" was more just in spirit and really only early on is noticeable, with their kind of "I don't give a fuck and I just wanna rock out" shtick

ac/dc is good but its technically hard rock. not metal

Comment was getting too long, but it's also worth noting that if there is any MUSICAL connection to Metallica music and punk early on, it was more of the traditional punk stuff like Ramones and Misfits, with a raw but still melodic and "woah oh" kind of sing along sensibility, which is far different than Slayers

t. nu male
youtube.com/watch?v=I4bMEP1iTso
youtube.com/watch?v=isYmSQks5Z4
youtube.com/watch?v=Aqe0jodb280
Pantera riffs hard, gtfo you söyboy

Mathematical or not, I agree this is the correct ranking

>You guys know just because there's a Big Four doesn't mean you have to keep talking about them

It's like the only way to have a metal thread on this board that isn't about black metal like 90 percent of the time. If a heavy metal thread not about the Big Four, or black metal, ever actually takes off it's a freak situation. Iron Maiden based threads are also not bad in numbers usually, but still usually less active than Big Four threads.

Glamtera was better

WALK

Slayer...bitch.

Not anthrax. God they fucking suck

This opinion is the first sign of a poser. Everyone should feel Anthrax is less than the others, nobody should feel they suck. You're just going along with popular opinion never having listened to their music and that is obvious.

Faggot.

An actual poser would follow the narrative that anthrax is good, because they are "the big 4" when really compared to the others, the music is just not on par.

how the fuck is anthrax in the big 4, hardly anyone likes them. The other 3 are HUGE bands.

You seem to think that the big 4 means the 4 big huge thrash bands from the 80s, when it just means that they were the first 4 bands to sign major deals in their genre

it's like saying the big 4 of grunge are nirvana, pearl jam, soundgarden, and L7

Morbid Saint

This is as objective as it can get.
Anthrax are actually pretty good but they can't overclass 83/87 Metallica
Nothing to say about the first two.

Attached: a cutie.jpg (500x477, 383K)

People only ever liked anthrax because of the public enemy song. Prove me wrong.

cringe.

>this thread again
Christ

Among The Living is a classic thrash album

BASS

have you guys seen phil anselmo lately? he looks like
again

Well hes a skinhead nazi again

Yeah its not though

There are actually people who consider themselves thrash metal fans that don't think that Metallica's first 4 albums are one of the finest runs of absolute quality ever achieved by a metal band from that era, who don't think that Ride the Lighting and Master of Puppets are two essential, brilliant staples of the entire history of metal, and who actually try to claim that Metallica who in the 80s FUCKED every other thrash band in the mouth with their composition, creativity, attitude and power and who basically influenced ALL of said bands anyway are shit?

Absolute fucking nonsense. If you talk shit about Kill Em All - Ride the Lighting - Master of Puppets - ...An Justice for All you are attention seeking baby.

I like every single metallica album.

T. Poseurs who wouldn't know a good riff if it bit them in the ass, and discovered metal from Yea Forums rather than their local record store

Slayer > Metallica > Anthrax > Megadeth.

I still like Megadeth though.

I sort of agree with this, but I rarely ever see people seriously arguing that MoP and RtL aren't good.

The soundmixing on Justice is terrible though, I can't get passed that, even though the songs are actually good.

Nice argument fag