Assuming this happens, would it indicate that planting does, in fact, work as a perfect means of selling records?

Assuming this happens, would it indicate that planting does, in fact, work as a perfect means of selling records?

She was signed to a major label after a single song which she had no part in making aside from the vocals became popular "out of thin air". Her parents are artists who are knee-deep in the industry and whose connections were the reason for her song blowing up and her subsequent deal with Interscope/UMG. Her brother writes all her material. She has a fuckton of payola behind her. Her actual music is kind of boring and her singing voice isn't anything special yet her strong presence on social media has given her a huge following. Plus she's successfully clout-chased and pilfered the dress style of SoundCloud rappers so she has credibility among hip hop fans who now defend her, despite her actual music having nothing in common with theirs. (In fact, her social media presence and crazy outfits have nothing to do with her actual music.)

Can we all agree this kind artificially creating a pop star works?

Attached: 15528759631600000000.jpg (1242x1535, 344K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0Ys50CqO8
youtube.com/watch?v=_uk4KXP8Gzw
soundcloud.com/boba_boi
youtube.com/watch?v=yaJx0Gj_LCY
colorlines.com/articles/dispatch-highland-park-gentrification-displacement-and-disappearance-latino-businesses
youtube.com/watch?v=PFwUXt_SmMs
heartlandfilm.org/26800/
soundcloud.com/bigfatsushiroll/badfish-acoustic
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I'm not sure anyone who has an opinion worth listening to has ever disagreed with the fact that many pop singers are industry plants without any musical merit.

Absolutely true, but in Billie's case it's way more obvious.

Meanwhile, given that her latest song has just under 18 million plays on Youtube despite being up for over two weeks, is this a sign her popularity is starting to cease?

Assuming that happens, it would only indicate correlation

You need a stronger sample size to suggest causation

I mean, she has pretty strong streams on Spotify, that I don't think can be associated with payola. Or is it really easy to fake a lot of streams on there? Or do a lot stream on those generated Spotify playlists?

She's promoted to death on Spotify, which absolutely indicates payola. She wasn't even on Spotify until she was signed to Interscope.

It's hard to imagine a large tech startup not cooking their numbers.

Oh, ok then. Assuming this would be on the same on Apple Music too?

Judging by how Apple Music is one of the worst offenders in regards to shilling her, yes.

This has literally been going on for sixty years

sage

True but it's gotten more visible and intense. Now it's not even "payola" in the sense that record labels are paying radio stations, it's more like the labels and the stations are owned by the same company.

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 3.42.40 PM.png (931x596, 685K)

fuck it though. complaining isnt going to do shit about the problem. you going out and either a) becoming talented and famous yourself b) supporting artists like me who are content creators trying to make their way in the industry without backing of a label c) scouring soundcloud and bandcamp for quality music that deserves more listens is the only way to topple the industry. you want to fuck over the payola? dont pay attention to billie ellish at all. dont talk about her, dont tweet about her, dont do anything that involves her including hate.

It's an important discussion to have.

is it though?? its impossibly hard to get big without the backing of a major label, there are people out there doing it though. and they do deserve your support. especially if you are on Yea Forums complaining about them not being famous. if you dont go out and look for these people, then dont complain when a multi million dollar industry tells you what to listen to.

The culture industry isn't an important part of capitalism which needs to be exposed?

In what context would someone as bland as Billie outsell Ari?

With Billie it’s impossible to explain her immediate rise to fame without planting and payola. At least Ariana was a TV star and has a voice. Billie literally came out of nowhere and got shilled on every major music platform without a full length album or atop 40 hit.

Really hope it flops
Billie Eilish is cancer
But I know it won't
(A Haiku)

drop your music then pussy

LOL

>Can we all agree this kind artificially creating a pop star works?
Is this your first experience listening to mainstream pop or something?

How many SoundCloud rappers has she fucked?

why do people act like factory made pop stars are something new?
Elvis Presley was literally just some handsome guy with a good voice who was picked out of an audition and told to sing and dance, he wrote like one song his whole career.
the Monkees were a TV show before they were turned into a band
>it's gotten more visible and intense.
it really hasn't, that's just a childish thing to say

>True but it's gotten more visible and intense
No, you just became more aware of it.

>it really hasn't, that's just a childish thing to say
Dude, just sit back and enjoy the show. Soon all these poor naive children will be brutally broken by the real world and the wetwoks will begin in earnest.

Attached: be8c7bd7b769f1be1cd217c16f93f74.jpg (500x527, 49K)

None. Stop spreading this bullshit.

how many soundcloud crappers are there

She hasn't fucked anyone. She's just friends with these guys and collabs with them, that's all.

This is a good song though.
youtube.com/watch?v=Ah0Ys50CqO8

>all that text because you realized pop stars aren't born organically
this guy's going to have an aneurysm when he realizes these stars have also been groomed by pedophiles

Sounds like a Lorde ripoff.

curry sauce

>accusing a survivor of child molestation of molesting a teenager
No.

youtube.com/watch?v=_uk4KXP8Gzw
CRINGE

soundcloud.com/boba_boi there you go dude.

>it really hasn't, that's just a childish thing to say
It definitely has especially now with the internet.

who ever didn't agree with this lmao

She's now making it a thing to say "I'M NOT AN INDUSTRY PLANT, I NEVER WANTED TO BE FAMOUS TRUST ME GUIZE" in interviews now.

She's also claiming she grew up poor, which says nothing about her parents' industry connections given that starving artists are a thing.

>takashi murakami
how the mighty have fallen...

Billie is taking a lot of good people down: Denzel Curry, Rosalia, and now Murakami.

Dude, we know 99% of pop stars are planted. Billie is just way more obvious as are Clairo, Juicewrld, Blueface, etc.

Tweet sounds like pure marketing like everything else that's happened to Shillie.

Only (You).

Clairö didn't really work out though. She had one decent youtube hit and some minor buzz with the twitter arthoes crowd but nothing near superstar mainstream pop success

Is Billie Elish the white Lana del Rey?

It's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison too. Clairo is a daddy's-money-and-connections type plant, whereas Billie has been propped up and shilled by her label in every way imaginable from day one.

Clairo was aimed at indie/alt pop fans not radio thot shit or hip hop, she just sucks so indie fans saw through it
Billie is geared towards a wider crowd

90% of molesters were molested.

So your dad touched you?

>artist being promoted by their label = industry plant
are you fucking stupid.

Attached: 1552495487873.png (522x508, 380K)

There's way more to it than that.

overstated but here goes

anybody since the late 2000s who performs at the level of fame you suggested has a list producers and co-writers a mile long. it's always been that way but at least in previous decades there were some examples of the complete opposite (Duke Ellington, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Beatles, U2, Run DMC, etc.) as far as marketing, even Merzbow has a crack team of various promoters hawking his goods.

>(In fact, her social media presence and crazy outfits have nothing to do with her actual music.)
Which indicates her career will have the lifespan of a mayfly.

It's exactly that university scandal, but with mommy and daddy buying a music career instead of a college degree

There's a difference between multiple writing credits, which are purely a means of distributing royalties, and mommy and daddy buying your fame. Any good artist has a publicist, any industry has their parents buy their publicist before they even have artistic talent. Ariana Grande can sing, she's a singer.

This. No way Interscope would have taken a risk and signed Shillie for ONE FUCKING SONG had her parents not had industry ties. Obviously they know she's a good investment or else they wouldn't be throwing money at her left and right.

Something tells me they're not the ones throwing the money so much as the parents. I'm sure there's some "charity" that received a "donation" and bippity-boppity-boo, you're on Hot Ones with 10 fucking million views.

Jeez Billie's album cover there is fucking awful.

omg her music videos have like 178 million views, how much did they pay for that?

To my knowledge her parents aren't even that rich, they're actors and musicians but their film and TV roles have been minor. Billie has said in interviews she grew up poor, had to buy second-hand clothes, lives in a small house, etc.

Only Lovely and When the Party's Over have >100 million views. Not even Bury a Friend has that many and it's been out for almost two months (which isn't good as a lead-off single for her album).

youtube.com/watch?v=yaJx0Gj_LCY

this is hokey bullshit

Oh sure, and Avril Lavigne skated to school every morning. I'm sure they're not super-wealthy, but her mother has Life is Strange money. Maybe once upon they had were poor, but in the here and now? Nah son.

>but her mother has Life is Strange money.
What?

You think he'll perform Ice Age or Ultimate in front of all those innocent little white girls and their moms?

Attached: 88909324.png (1235x232, 135K)

colorlines.com/articles/dispatch-highland-park-gentrification-displacement-and-disappearance-latino-businesses

Highland Park ain't Watts, in fact it's the anti-Watts at this point.

Her parents were white and de facto gentrifying scum. Billie has colonizer privilege regardless of how much curry sauce she drinks.

Plant or not she's pretty good.

How?

Didn't Katy Perry make an identical song ten years ago?

youtube.com/watch?v=PFwUXt_SmMs
>inb4 russ poster

someone post the gif

Didn't she write and voice act for Life is Strange or was that a lie I read on the internet?

No clue. Just search 'life is strange maggie baird' and see what comes up.

no, i will not

You're thinking of a different "Life":
heartlandfilm.org/26800/

Mass Effect

IDK someone wrote something and Billie is a plant, fuck the specifics.

We're still waiting for her to cover Wuthering Heights in the original key.

>mom wrote a screenplay specifically for her and her son
Something about this family gives me bad vibes.

when has that not happened?

They've been doing it successfully over and over again since at least the 60's, so yes. Labels are owned by a handful of mega conglomerates that also own print media, TV stations, radio, advertising infrasturcture, tech companies, social media companies, data analytics companies, etc., and these conglomerates are in turn owned by a very small handful of extremely wealthy people who all know each other and who understand that by helping each other out they can increase their profits. When a major label develops a new product, e.g. Billie Eilish (or nearly any pop star you've ever heard of), the various arms of these mega conglomerate corporations work together to push that new product and maximize profits. This is what a plant is. People who think plants are some kind of "conspiracy theory" or that there's any question at all whether someone like Eilish is a plant or not, just have no idea how the industry works.

Attached: ffcdd2d1e3ee0b2da61da6da52b11b7c.jpg (502x800, 34K)

Trips of truth.

YES. OBVIOUSLY!

The music industry doesn't even vaguely resemble a meritocracy. The whole thing's a sham pretty much.

I don’t know much about the Billie scandal.. although I will say I did enjoy her first song. I think it’s sad that we don’t hear about artists becoming something by their own merit.. kind of shitty to be a musician and not be able to make something of it without knowing a shit ton of the right people or even just the one...

Anyway if nobody minds... I’ll post my cringey stuff. Enjoy?

soundcloud.com/bigfatsushiroll/badfish-acoustic

Attached: BEE2C154-B2D9-44F1-B0F3-5BB3CD46C7CD.jpg (4032x3024, 2.26M)

>mfw all the failed musicians COPEing so hard itt
lol you don't have any appeal so anybody who does is playing some sort of rigged game? grow the fuck up, nobody invested in you because you weren't worth investing in

Attached: 20140118-drake-thumb-306x306-1390145726.jpg (306x306, 66K)

Of course planting works. The music industry is a monolith and people will listen to whatever they push.

It's posturing and abusing image to sell music. People are shallow retards so it will always work. Now that doesn't mean any of it is good, that just means it sells.

Wow, that video was made by the same dude who made Kanye's Graduation and Kids See Ghosts covers