How the actual fuck do I understand any of this shit. How do I know if I like an album or not. What the fuck...

How the actual fuck do I understand any of this shit. How do I know if I like an album or not. What the fuck. How can you all devote yourselves to music. Holy shit. I don’t understand this shit at all. I’m more of a Yea Forums guy

Attached: C17D5FDD-0EE5-4C15-9642-70AF1D213016.png (635x542, 219K)

Learn music theory, for starters.

Literally just ask yourself if you like the music that is being played or not. It's not that hard.

Learn theory, play music

>Is each track separable from the other track
>Does this separation contribute to a "complete album"
>Within that separation: Is there enough difference in the sonic elements to be progressive, challenging, yet interesting/memorable?
>At the same time: Does this 'separation' contain a similar sound, theme, or central idea that is central to the entire album as a whole, adding a strong element of cohesiveness?
>Do I like this particular sound and style? Does it work for my individual preferences?
>Where does this album sit in terms of its own genre? Is it pushing the genre forward, or is it run-of-the-mill
>How much musicianship does the album show? Are the instruments/analog interfaces/lyrics well composed and implemented? Do they interact with any of the previous elements in a meaningful way (IE, do chaotic and out-of-sync drums sync to lyrics about crazy wild abuse and violence?)
>How deep is it possible to dive into the sonic scapes of the album? Are the textures varied and interesting, contributing to a pervasive sound or theme throughout the album, and do I like this texture, sound or theme?
>Did the album stand the test of time?

I could go on forever, but this is how I tend to look at things if I'm being critical. Like pic related is very well defined, fleshed out, and does an excellent job of balancing mainstream sensibilities with interesting progressive instrumentation and never-before-heard sounds. It's not even my favorite album, but you could meticulously pick an album like OK COMPUTER apart and still not have found every interesting creative choice that might contribute to your overall enjoyment.

At the end of the day, it's super important, regardless of your analysis, that you simply like the album for whatever reason.

Attached: Radiohead - OK Computer.jpg (600x600, 133K)

It's the same thing as watching movies, you just enjoy whatever speaks to you, either technically or thematically. What the fuck do you watch when you don't understand that

Not OP but i think this fits this thread: Does anyone else, like, genuinely enjoy most music they listen to?
Like there is very little music out there I come out of feeling like I dislike it. Maybe some stuff wasn't that good, or bored me a little but I don't think "bleh that was bad."
Most people have songs they cannot stand. I have like, three, and they are On Top by Playboi Carti (because of the chrous) and Too Real and Why Generation by FIDLAR (stupid centrist bullshit)

Yeah, most albums I listen to are at least a decent experience. It’s because I think we seek out albums that intrigue us in someway, we don’t usually listen to albums we think we will dislike

i mean... even when i try shit blindly based entirely off of the name of the band/album or just the cover art. which i do all the time. it's wild how rare it is for me to actually dislike something.
even those three examples belong to bands who i actively really like. as in, fidlar is like my #4 band on lastfm.

Did you grow up with any music at all? Maybe it's something that develops as a child with exposure, and someone who didnt grow up with any music just didn't develop an affinity for it, perhaps.

4% of people are tone deaf.

I was told before that I’m tone deaf but I don’t know what that means (OP)

means you cannot hear pitch i.e cannot distinguish frequencies
there are different degrees of ittho
tonedeaftest.com

Attached: J2quPNf[1].png (617x337, 25K)

Is that guy Desiiigner before the tats?

Based NPC

yeah all black people are the same person, fucking racist

Guess this is your first day on Yea Forums.

What does theory have anything to do with liking music?

>itt: replying to such obvious bait

Understanding what is actually going on sonically. Your question is about as dumb as asking "what does knowing how to read have to do with enjoying books"

melon tells us what to like. keep up.

>well defined

That's such an important concept for me. Everything being extremely intentional, thought out and refined over many ideas. but the final product is like a super distilled version of all that work.

You don't process written words naturally, but you do naturally process sounds. That's how you learn to talk. You could talk before you understood the alphabet

this is a good post

Just find what resonates with you. In the beginning this involves a lot of experimentation and seeking things out by association (for example, checking out other albums from the artist, and later checking out other artists from that label, etc). You don't have to dive into theory lessons but you do need to try to identify what it is that makes music resonate with you if you want to find more of it.

more like "knowing how to construct a good story is necessary to enjoy books/plays/tv/movies"

How