Its something I don't understand...

Its something I don't understand. Music snobs lump Jazz and Classical together as the "superior" music as opposed to Popular music. Classical I understand- it has lasted all these years for a reason. But Jazz, I don't get it. Jazz has a lot more in common with Popular music- it just sounds like a bunch of musicians got together and can't decide on which song to play. Also, little emotion in Jazz.

I have nothing against Jazz musicians- I do agree it takes skill and all of that. But why is it considered an "elevated" form of music? This is true in most colleges and universities even- they have a Jazz Department. They do not have a Country and Western department. Its complete opposite of Classical music to my ears. I don't hate Jazz, to me its nice for background music at a coffee shop or bookstore, but to sit down and listen to it , no thanks!

In Classical there is more emotion usually, although I don't understand I-talian Operas very well. But I see why people respect Classical music as a higher level of music- and I don't take offense at that. But why Jazz?

Attached: download.jpg (888x549, 70K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2yZXafHQiIA
youtube.com/watch?v=X8Fe4f2ZC6I
wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290151
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>little emotion in jazz

Attached: P21iW8wB_400x400.jpg (320x320, 33K)

Sounds like you haven't heard much jazz desu

they lump those together because muh complexity. i suggest you to ignore snobs and focus on whatever interests you for whatever reason

I don't know why you classicalfags keep rambling on about MUH COMPLEX MUSIC!11
Everyone listens to classical. Even normies. It's one of the most accessible genres. You people are delusional

>complexity not mentioned once in op

all their posts kind of blend in together, sorry

>focus on whatever interests you for whatever reason
gay

Well maybe learn some music theory and you'll understand m8

Jazz is mechanical and corporeal. Even the improvisation is mechanical. It is corporeal in that it is an expression of the libido. Any conceptual additions mad to become purely libidinal.

this "jazz lacks emotion" meme needs to stop
sure, there is jazz that's just wank, but there is absolutely no small amount of deeply emotional jazz
just look at Grant Green, Chet Baker, Sonny Rollins, Bill Evans, Paul Desmond, Thelonious Monk, Miles Davis...all of whom are entry-level musicians, and you have to be out of your fucking mind to say their music lacks emotion

Jazz is all about music theory, time signatures, logic. It's the mathematical mind's genre you wingnut.

Yeah, don't pretend you've listened to more than two jazz albums

I've probably listened to well over a hundred, and I've listened to those at least more than once. I've probably listed to A Love supreme (which I really do despise) well over twenty times.

youtube.com/watch?v=2yZXafHQiIA

well listen to modern jazz then

>names one of the most popular albums in an attempt to prove they know what they're talking about

found the autist

It's just the one I've spent the most time thinking about. Drug-addled theology trying to pass itself off as art. It's despicable.

It is full of emotion. as classical music, it is calculated and have a strict structure (try looking for chords of any jazz standard), but the beauty is that they have an enormous amount of technic, so they improvise on that structure. it makes it smart and full of personality.

I recommend the last segmant of pic related, or "kind of blue" by Miles Davis.

Attached: homepage_large.8b1f0d01.jpg (319x319, 53K)

jazz is a very broad category of music, just as classical. the mistake people make is assuming that just because the musicians are black, the band is good. there's lots of lousy, aimless, uninspired jazz out there. there's also lots of great stuff. and many would argue that, despite its limitations, jazz does a more honest job of continuing the classical tradition than the modern academic scene.

Shostakovich's music was considered tacky and derivative by a lot of critics while he was alive.

I'm not even a jazzfag but this is so clearly untrue, emotions is one of the things jazz has going for it

You cannot listen to Blue Train or Goodbye Pork Pie Hat and tell me jazz is completely void of emotion. Sure there are things like Time Out where the intent was to create songs in odd time signatures, but the vast majority of jazz is based in emotion over mechanism.

I wasn't saying it's devoid of emotion. It has incredible emotion when it wants to, but the main benefit of jazz is its intellectualized construction.

there are two things:
1) swing
2) improvisation
everything else is optional and depends on artist - complex rhythms, harmony etc

>Yea Forums "experts" trying to talk about classical and jazz again

Attached: awkwadly glissandos into desired key.jpg (295x408, 75K)

what else could we do, mr. chopin?

Yeah and there's the shaggs which are technically math rock, but almost anyone who's making math rock will want to be more complex than that. Same applies to jazz. Just because there's only a few requirements for the genre of "Jazz", most people making jazz go the same, more conceptualized route.

perhaps not do that

This is absolute bullshit. Yes, there's a lot of technical, theory-worshipping jazz out there, but the genre's origin is in party music. The idea that jazz is some kind of hyperintellectual thing is still fairly new, relative to its long history. You can't make honestly make a statement like your about a rich tradition that's over a century old; it encompasses way too much for that. There's technical wank jazz, and there's simple, soulful jazz, and there's everything between.

let's get some good, happy jazz up in here:
youtube.com/watch?v=X8Fe4f2ZC6I

yes, but my point is, it's unfair to say jazz isn't skilled, when in fact its one of if not the best genre at using theory and more objective things to push skill and intellectualization.

>theory-worshipping
What did he mean by this? Theory is a descriptive tool; how do you worship musical descriptors?

>the genre's origin is in party music
And classical music has its roots in traditional/folk and/or sacred/meditative music. What's your point? Types of music/genres evolve all the time; there is no definitive source or any musical genre, it's constantly changing and functions on multiple levels.

>The idea that jazz is some kind of hyperintellectual thing is still fairly new, relative to its long history
Eh, I doubt it. Jazz developed in the early 20th century and there was plenty of "intellectual" jazz albums getting released 40, 50 years into its conceivement.

Why do normies love Tchaikovsky and Shostakovich so much?

Attached: 60fc297a52680e4ff6f42ed53d22e90a--fire-dept-fire-department.jpg (236x172, 13K)

I think this is a bad example, variety of jazz music is wider than you think. If we take a look at 50s-70s jazz - there always were cool, smooth, ballad pieces, which a techically less complex too.

low brow usually means it's uncomplicated and unoriginal as to never really generate any enthusiasm or esteem among people who actually care and know about music. these genres completely ignore technology manipulation of timbres though.

I love Tchikovsky's Queen of Spades because of it's incredible ending and lyrics, any problems with that?

*Tchaikovsky's

>What did he mean by this? Theory is a descriptive tool; how do you worship musical descriptors?
By making music that's about flaunting your theoretical education rather than expressing something.

>What's your point?
My point is that jazz is too diverse to say something like "the main benefit of jazz is its intellectualized construction". What's wrong with the fucktons of great, historically significant jazz that isn't all that intellectual?

>40, 50 years into its conceivement
that's exactly what I'm talking about

Whose Tchaikovsky?

what's wrong with drug addled theology

>By making music that's about flaunting your theoretical education rather than expressing something.
And an example of these two would be what exactly? And how would you measure this to be sure?

>My point is that jazz is too diverse to say something like "the main benefit of jazz is its intellectualized construction"
Alright, that I agree with.

is there are many of them?

Alright, literally everything ever done is done to express something. By what criteria could you judge something NOT to be?

its only certain parts of shosty
dont see many normies repping lady mcbeth of mtsensk or symphony 13

jazz requires way more skill than popular shit at least on a musical level, their musicianship is off the charts
take any jazz pro and id wager hed shit all over a classical pro (not conductor) on modulations off the top of the head

wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=290151

>Wrong Planet is the web community designed for individuals (and parents / professionals of those) with Autism, Asperger’s Syndrome, ADHD, PDDs, and other neurological differences. We provide a discussion forum, where members communicate with each other, an article section, with exclusive articles and how-to guides, a blogging feature, and more.

Theory obsessed formalists who mistake the forest for the trees have no place discussing music. Just stick to playing it's all you're good for.

It uses theory and complex improvisation to make more intense forms of sexualized dance music. Even the most abstract jazz is only good for this.

Quite an assumption and leap there, little buddy.

ohhh look at this tough guy, he knows his stuff and only he can discuss music, watch out guys

Attached: 30726286_10155523832121404_6625250365640015872_n.jpg (503x503, 16K)

I've never seen anyone invoke theory or claim knowledge from musicianship to hold any other perspective. You've lost your critical sensibilities and need to shut up.

>nobody mentioned theory
Quite an assumption and leap there, little buddy.

Give this a listen and tell me if you’d put it in a book store

Attached: E37CFC5A-5B79-492D-B1B5-A6CED516E618.jpg (333x298, 12K)

Yes keep telling yourself that, it's everyone else who is wrong, not knowing basic shit makes you better, sure.

It's because both genres focus on live performance, which is the most expensive way to produce and experience music, which helps keep it out of reach of the plebs.

Teo Macero was the best jazz musician, for popularizing studio focused albums.

No, I just think that theory is the least valuable approach to criticizing music, and the formalism advocated by its champions is perhaps the most limited approach one can take. Music should be treated as more than empty technical spectacle.

Good thing the majority of people who do music for a living have a holistic approach, retard. If you don't know the basics; be it theoretical, historical, interpretative - you name it - you can keep quiet like a good boy.

>least valuable approach to criticizing music
Depends on what kind of music. It's senseless trying to analyse popular music for example.

If they did, they would realize that jazz is reprehensible. Instead they're hypnotized by its complex musicianship. There's no other approach to jazz that could yield a slightly favorable evaluation.

No, because it isn’t a book

>There's no other approach to jazz that could yield a slightly favorable evaluation.
[citation needed]

Yeah because "wow dude this sounds so GOOD like wow man the bassss, dude" is truly the absolute peak of human artistic achievement

That's still better than theory-based formalism. At least it acknowledges music as a listening experience.

Attached: 1496963010474.gif (300x300, 190K)

Nice fluff, bro.

>analytical listening is not a part of the listening experience
You're an absolute brainlet, we get it.