Itt: 145 IQ+ musicians

itt: 145 IQ+ musicians

Attached: aphexlaserfocus.jpg (806x806, 388K)

Attached: our_guys.jpg (1024x768, 169K)

Attached: father-john-misty.jpg (768x431, 32K)

Attached: thegodsofthenewworldareautistic.jpg (439x442, 49K)

Obligatory

Attached: chadtechre.png (602x623, 678K)

Attached: 76244.jpg (600x600, 72K)

me

Sometimes I forget how much of a genius he actually is, and then you listen to one of those insanely detailed tracks and you start thinking about how he came up with all of it in is own head. Then he transferred all of that energy into his machines and managed to capture it forever, without anyone ever really teaching him how to do it. Fuck, I still can't get over it, I hate him and love him at the same time. Love him for doing what my mind isn't capable of and sharing it, but also he's this intense reminder of something I want most but cannot and will never be able to achieve.

Attached: 9F226B08-AF1A-4AF3-8740-2737A74EFA42.jpg (500x375, 44K)

Me

Attached: David-Bowie-.jpg (930x1453, 134K)

WEEEELLLL

Attached: 57CD6F51-EECF-4C1E-B194-C02EE55271E7.jpg (500x666, 33K)

the dim reflection makes it look as if some external force is controlling the knobs through his mind. Nice pic

who is that, JAmiroquai?

>you start thinking about how he came up with all of it in is own head.
I do think he's primarily a dynamo and that his compositional approach is more "top-down" than, e.g. , but don't you think it kind of seems like he's also managing a lot of emergent complexity from sound engineering practices, i.e. he hears something in the chaos and tries to coax it out? And don't you think a lot of his genius comes from the little improvisational human touches? I think he's more of a gardener than a sculptor.

Attached: 91291.jpg (1000x720, 786K)

Who is that?

Mr Grieve in Stereo MGMT himself

Attached: 7E9C7023-1E9D-4B0B-B159-7CF5FD995326.jpg (604x583, 64K)

An absolute god at expression through synths. He can probably create any sound we can possibly think of.

I'd think all his drum compositions are conscious efforts. Wen you slow them down, you can hear it all just works, he put thought into every split second of the sequence. That kinda micro management of sounds is something that takes true musical genius. Sure, I believe he creates timbres and adds more layers as he goes through the steps of producing a track, but the structure all happens inside his mind, possibly before he even warms up his synths.
If I recall correctly someone who knew him once said he started working on a track in high complexity right away.
In his '80s compositions you can already hear how he's playing with the resonances of the tiniest sounds. It's mindblowing, how he was aware of all that stuff before he even turned 18.

I certainly think there's something to the case you're making, but I'm struggling with the idea that "conscious effort" works the way you're portraying it in music. Drums and polyrhythms are still fundamentally about the interaction of waveforms (pulses). Any meticulous placement of notes would still be drawing from a mental model that's about feeling out the interaction of waveforms.

I could be totally wrong though, and for all I know he hears all the music in full detail before he starts.

Where is this from?

Tool of edm

Maybe I should call it a subconscious effort then. But yeah, you're right, a large part of creating (electronic) music is listening for what sounds good, and then experimenting and taking the idea further. I just meant he often must've had some general structure in his mind before he started. That's also what he said in an interview. Melodies/harmonies and drums to go with it do require you to think abot what you're doing, so it's not just "feeling it out" either. The answer probably lies somewhere in between.