PUNK

Proto-Punk: Stooges, NY Dolls, MC5
NY Punk/No Wave: Ramones, Dictators, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, Television, DNA, Rosa Yemen, James Chance, Suicide, Jim Carroll, Cramps
UK Punk: Clash, Jam, Sex Pistols, Damned, Adverts, X-Ray Spex, UK Subs, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, Stranglers
LA Punk: Germs, X, Fear, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Weirdos, Dils, Dead Kennedys, Gun Club, Dickies, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, Flipper
Oi: Sham 69, Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects
Post-Punk: Joy Division, Gang of Four, Pop Group, Chameleons, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, PiL, Wire, Slits, Fall, Mekons
Anarcho-Punk: Crass, Rudimentary Peni, Flux of Pink Indians, Ex, Conflict, Zounds, Subhumans
Hardcore: Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Dicks, Poison Idea, MDC, Misfits, Adolescents, DOA, Die Kreuzen
UK82: Chaos UK, Exploited, Abrasive Wheels, Adicts, GBH, Anti-Nowhere League
Deathrock: Christian Death, 45 Grave, TSOL
Crust Punk: Discharge, Amebix, His Hero is Gone, Fall of Efrafa, Deviated Instinct, Nausea, Martyrdöd
Straight Edge: Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, 7Seconds, Have Heart, Bane
Grindcore: Napalm Death, Carcass, Nasum
Ska Punk: Specials, Operation Ivy, Choking Victim
Post-Hardcore: Minutemen, Fugazi, Quicksand, Refused, Hüsker Dü, At the Drive-In, Jawbox, Touché Amoré, Drive Like Jehu, NoMeansNo, Slint
Emocore: Rites of Spring, Gray Matter, Heroin, Moss Icon, Hot Water Music, Dag Nasty
Crossover Thrash: DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, Cro-Mags, Madball, Suicidal Tendencies
Pop Punk: Descendents, Jawbreaker, Samiam, NOFX, Screeching Weasel, Thermals, Leatherface, Pennywise
Queercore/Riot Grrrl: Pansy Division, Bikini Kill, Team Dresch
Garage Punk: New Bomb Turks, Gories, Pussy Galore, Reatards, Wipers, Oblivians
Metalcore: Hatebreed, Converge, Earth Crisis
Skramz: Portraits of Past, Gospel, Orchid, Pg.99, Saetia, Daïtro, Raein
Powerviolence: Despise You, SPAZZ, Charles Bronson, Man Is the Bastard
Folk Punk: Days N Daze, Billy Bragg, Ramshackle Glory, Against Me

Attached: siege.jpg (624x420, 89K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AEpe9_AkmKA
youtube.com/watch?v=rrUync3ghsQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>bad religion
kek, they're irrelevant.
Thanks for adding Die Kreuzen and Flipper tho.

wheheres chumbawamba

in the bin

>no Pere Ubu in the post-punk section
baka

"no"

>Proto-Punk: Stooges, NY Dolls, MC5
+Sonics, Monks, early Who,
You forgot Cowpunk: Blasters, Lone Justice, Jason and the Scorchers.

>Queercore
>Doesn't mention Limp Wrist

You did a pretty good job otherwise, honestly. I'd keep Have Heart and Bane out from the earlier Straight Edge bands and group them in with hardline or something and throw Earth Crisis and the like in there.

>Queercore
Also no God is my co-pilot

Here's the thing about Jello. The man had some serious pipes. He had a 4 octave range and he excelled in any octave. He wrote brilliant songs. And his stage presence was only matched by Adolf Hitler. Seriously, watch them play Holiday in Cambodia at the Deaf Club and then watch a video of the Nuremburg rallies. We had better thank our lucky stars Jello didn't go into politics or he would have taken over the world. But Dead Kennedys as a whole had a brilliant dynamic. It wasn't just the Jello Biafra backup band. They all made huge creative contributions to what made Dead Kennedys what it is. Yes, Jello wrote Californa über alles, Funland at the Beach, and Chemical Warfare, but East Bay Ray wrote Kill the Poor, Moon over Marin, and At my Job, Klaus Flouride wrote Dog Bite, Forest Fire, and Trust Your Mechanic, and D.H. Peligro wrote Kinky Sex Makes the World Go 'Round and Soup Is Good Food. Other bands like Nirvana for instance were not like that. Nirvana was basically just the Kurt Cobain backup band. Dead Kennedys was this perfect storm of legendary talent, and Jello was the face of it all, the delicious cherry on top of an already delicious sundae. He was the ambassador that allowed the amazing talent of combo that was Dead Kennedys to be brought into our lives. He was the prism that focused the lazer beams from the brains of Klaus, Ray, and D.H., and amplified them until they were powerful enough to blow our minds out through our ear holes. Yes, he was the most incredible front man who ever lived, hands down.

Attached: jello-206x300[1].jpg (206x300, 20K)

I dont care amynore just jump and scream with your fellas and be hapy

>nofx >pop punk
There is something very wrong with you

nofx is for government people sons without real problems in their lives, should be sissy punk

Putting Ramones, DNA and Suicide in the same category because they are from New York is ridiculous. No Wave was an 80s movement and has little to do with '77 punk shit.
>inb4 Ramones debut was released in '76
You know what I mean when I say '77 punk.

Not really. I didn't consider NOFX pop punk when I was 12 but then I started listening to HC and crust. There's no shame in it though, don't be a fag.

Name 1 reason why they're irrelevant, other than you being butthurt about the kids are alt-right

>No Wave was an 80s movement
WEW LAD

Alright my bad, I was thinking about Glenn Branca and Swans and shit. Still has little to nothing to do with The Ramones and Cramps.

Also no Australian - Saints, Radio Birdman, probably a few others after that from the late 70s early 80s.

What exactly is the general point that punks are trying to make with their music?

This post is shit and you need to give up and accept that it needs to be 2 posts. Omitting key bands or including shit ones for the sake of saving space, kys. Feel free to get butthurt again.

depends on the punk
i would say frustration is a big common theme

>minor threat
>not under straight edge
I guess they are hardcore but that is probably a much more fitting term for them

Maybe because they're never mentioned in articles/fanzines nor by their peers during the eighties. The only band citing them as influence are bands on Epitaph (color me surprised). Epitaph had an impact on the punk scene (with shitty punk bands, but still), Bad Religion none, nothing, nobody cared or care about them today but if you want to give credit to Gurewitz give him for Epitaph.
When people talk about american punk in the eighties it's about Black Flag, Dead Kennedys, Minor Threat, Bad Brains, Die Kreuzen, Minutemen, Hüsker Dü, Naked Raygun not fucking Bad Religion and their teenybopper scene.
>the kids are alt-right
Can somebody be butthurt by something this inoffensive?

Great band, but not totally convinced they're essential enough to punk specifically. Their early anarcho stuff is great, though.

>cowpunk
I'm conflicted on the inclusion, but I'm seriously considering it. Great subgenre

Thanks! And good input

The best term might be melodic hardcore, but they're only getting more and more pop punk, and their influence is very much in the pop punk genre

You don't know enough about the no wave scene. Please don't take this as an insult, but it was very much a subset of the early New York scene. Lydia Lunch was a Dead Boys groupie at first, Suicide was a Max's/CBGB band and massive influence on no wave, Lizzy Mercier Descloux was engaged to Richard Hell and was besties with Patti Smith, Richard Hell and Legs McNeil were hanging out with James Chance... hell, Mars formed in '75. No Wave rejected the NY punk scene for not being experimental enough, but it was very much entertwined with it.

lol nice projection, as you literally throw a hissy fit at me. You're very low IQ. But be happy that I'm planning to include Siouxsie again.

Feels really weird that out of this whole list, the only band you find irrelevant is the one who caused a lot of right-wingers to be butthurt not too long ago, because your description fits a lot of bands on there.

Eh, I lean toward hardcore for them just because there was a straight edge scene in the 80s that they weren't really part of (though they were obviously the key influence for it)

Fuck, I keep forgetting to put Naked Raygun in. Will do. That said, I'm not dropping Bad Religion. I never even liked Bad Religion, but they were absolutely essential for the reemergence of pop punk in the late 80s

>Please don't take this as an insult
I won't. I guess I'm not that knowledgeable about the history of it (and I'm happy to learn, thanks for the insightful post) but musically I don't see much correlation and hence think it's silly to categorize them together.

That's fair, though there are some connections, most notably Suicide, and Robert Quine's free jazz-inspired guitar style with the Voidoids

If you read in order it's the first that stood out of place for me. I'd say it again, nobody can be butthurt by Bad Religion lyrics. Corporate rock trying to make political songs is funny whatever their target is.
Punk:
youtube.com/watch?v=AEpe9_AkmKA
Music to sell skateboard shoes:
youtube.com/watch?v=rrUync3ghsQ
>essential for the reemergence of pop punk
Meh, at least put them in Pop Punk.

Attached: 1534496081568.jpg (640x628, 77K)