Is this unironically a masterpiece?

Attached: R-3608647-1350748457-5411.jpeg.jpg (300x284, 15K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=SYCUIeyfEy0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Not really

Just a milestone in punk

sex pistols are fucking manufactured garbage, something malcom mclaren shit out by finding the most marketable boys he could find

good thing sid vicious died or god forbid there'd be more of it out there

Yes. It really is. An album that singlehandedly shook the music industry by the throat like a rabid pit bull and changed it forever. It’s influence and legacy inspired countless artists.

nah Mclaren wanted you to think they were his invention, if you actually believe that you fell for his bullshit

Derp derp derp industry plant derp
Derp boy band derp

If they were such an industry plant why did they get signed by two labels only to be fired and make off with two signing bonuses?

This but i mean it seriously

Sex Pistols are the greatest punk band ever. They're literally the epitome of Punk. Sex Pistols is what PUNK is. If you grew up in the 70s you'd understand

thank god i didn't grow up in the 70s then

glorified butt-rock with an "experimental" and whiny vocals twist
new album is good tho!

Attached: 19.png (1877x1043, 1.95M)

Honestly you can feel the influence of this album in later hardcore bands, so it's not entirely bad (i like more 90s and onward hardcore style though)

Yes. If you disagree you are a soiboi.

And punk was a joke, it should have lasted a year or two. Lydon grew of it pretty fast and finally made interesting stuff with PIL.
The shitiest contribution by punk to modern music was to flatter people's mediocrity by giving them the impression that you don't need to make any effort to make music or to learn anything. And the thematics, oh god i'm fed up with what 20yo bong kids have to say on politics or life in general when the majority of them are victims of fetal alcohol syndrome.

They had a singer before Lydon and before McLaren.

The thing about this album is that, whatever your ideology, they will attack your enemies. They will also attack you.
It's pretty unique that way, but it wouldn't matter if the riffs weren't there.

The only special thing about this particular album is that it was one of the first commercially successful punk albums and because of that it became very influential to a lot of young people who started their own bands.
Sex Pistols is just the punk equivalent of The Beatles or Metallica.

I don't get it really. I love this album and always have but I've struggled to get into other punk. I like X and The Buzzcocks but Never Mind the Bollocks is just something else musically. I don't think anyone else got the same sound. Not a masterpiece though because it wasn't really crafted as such. Not everything fits and it is a way off perfection. I guess you could call it a punk masterpiece as it might be one in line with that ethos.

I liked this album a lot when i was a teenager, really, but i didn't felt compelled to give it another spin in years. I have nothing against it in itself but more about the whole punk scene or punk ideas. Lydon is a very intelligent guy, no question about it but the vast majority of punks are complete morons.
This. You can't deny the influence, still it wasn't something new in itself (3 chords raw songs) garage rock was doing it 10 years before minus the political/sociological aspects.

Indeed, garage rock is the real roots of punk.
Have some garage rock user.
youtube.com/watch?v=SYCUIeyfEy0

Damn that's great, thanks!

bros

Attached: punk.jpg (640x893, 143K)

this
punky goys don't want their dreams destroyed, go buy some chains and a ruined shirt in your closest punk boutique

CHEAP HOLIDAY IN OTHER PEOPLES' MISERYYYYY

it's kinda like Bob Marley or 80s Metallica, young people only bash it when they're trying to socially position themselves as "REAL [genre] fans", even though funnily enough actual lifelong reggae fans love Bob Marley, actual lifelong metal fans love Metallica and actual lifelong punk fans love this album.

>David Gilmour, on Johnny Rotten wearing an “I HATE PINK FLOYD” t-shirt: “I thought the Sex Pistols were rather good. I’ve been on a show with Johnny Rotten – it was at Sadler’s Wells – and he said he never really hated Pink Floyd and actually he was a bit of a fan. I confess to not having entirely believed it in the first place. I mean, who could hate us?” – Q Magazine, June 1999.
Based David.

Attached: 48949846846.jpg (640x796, 76K)

>Lydon grew of it pretty fast and finally made interesting stuff with PIL.
I didn't realize moaning over shitty self-indulgent pseudo-dub was "interesting stuff"

>PIL is Metal Box
ok

do you even punk, son?

Attached: nigga just kys.jpg (820x820, 123K)

Proto-Punk: Stooges, NY Dolls, MC5
NY Punk/No Wave: Ramones, Dictators, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, Television, DNA, Rosa Yemen, James Chance, Suicide, Jim Carroll, Cramps
UK Punk: Clash, Jam, Sex Pistols, Damned, Adverts, X-Ray Spex, UK Subs, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, Stranglers, Siouxsie & The Banshees
LA Punk: Germs, X, Fear, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Weirdos, Dils, Dead Kennedys, Gun Club, Dickies, Social Distortion, Bad Religion
Oi: Sham 69, Angelic Upstarts, Cockney Rejects
Post-Punk: Joy Division, Gang of Four, Pop Group, Chameleons, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, PiL, Wire, Slits, Fall, Mekons
Anarcho-Punk: Crass, Rudimentary Peni, Flux of Pink Indians, Ex, Conflict, Zounds, Subhumans
Hardcore: Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Dicks, Poison Idea, MDC, Misfits, Adolescents, DOA
UK82: Chaos UK, Exploited, Abrasive Wheels, Adicts, GBH, Anti-Nowhere League
Deathrock: Christian Death, 45 Grave, TSOL
Crust Punk: Discharge, Amebix, His Hero is Gone, Fall of Efrafa, Deviated Instinct, Nausea, Martyrdöd
Straight Edge: Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, 7Seconds, Have Heart, Bane
Grindcore: Napalm Death, Carcass, Nasum
Ska Punk: Specials, Operation Ivy, Choking Victim
Post-Hardcore: Minutemen, Fugazi, Quicksand, Refused, Hüsker Dü, At the Drive-In, Jawbox, Touché Amoré, Drive Like Jehu, NoMeansNo, Slint
Emocore: Rites of Spring, Gray Matter, Heroin, Moss Icon, Hot Water Music, Dag Nasty
Crossover Thrash: DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, Cro-Mags, Madball, Suicidal Tendencies
Pop Punk: Descendents, Jawbreaker, Samiam, NOFX, Screeching Weasel, Thermals, Leatherface, Pennywise
Queercore/Riot Grrrl: Pansy Division, Bikini Kill, Team Dresch
Garage Punk: New Bomb Turks, Gories, Pussy Galore, Reatards, Wipers, Oblivians
Metalcore: Hatebreed, Converge, Earth Crisis
Skramz: Portraits of Past, Gospel, Orchid, Pg.99, Saetia, Daïtro, Raein
Powerviolence: Despise You, SPAZZ, Charles Bronson, Man Is the Bastard
Folk Punk: Days N Daze, Billy Bragg, Ramshackle Glory, Against Me

it sucks

>Refused instead of Breach
>no Scratch Acid
>no Die Kreuzen

Good:
Stooges, MC5, Cramps, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Black Flag, Gun Club, Joy Division, Gang of Four, Bauhaus, PiL, Wire, Slits, Crass,
Rudimentary Pen, Bad Brains, Poison Idea, MDC, Misfits, Christian Death, Discharge, Amebix, Nausea, Martyrdöd, Fugazi, Drive Like Jehu, NoMeansNo, Slint, Rites of Spring, Cro-Mags, Gories, Pussy Galore, Reatards, Wipers, Converge, Orchid, Pg.99, SPAZZ, Charles Bronson, Man Is the Bastard.

Shit:
All the others.

I'll consider Scratch Acid and Die Kreuzen, especially Die Kreuzen. Ignoring everything else. But Die Kreuzen's a great band.

NY Punk/No Wave: Ramones, Dictators, Richard Hell, Patti Smith, Television, DNA, Rosa Yemen, James Chance, Suicide, Jim Carroll, Cramps
UK Punk: Clash, Jam, Sex Pistols, Damned, Adverts, X-Ray Spex, UK Subs, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, Stranglers
LA Punk: Germs, X, Fear, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Weirdos, Dils, Dead Kennedys, Gun Club, Dickies, Social Distortion, Bad Religion
Post-Punk: Joy Division, Gang of Four, Pop Group, Chameleons, Killing Joke, Bauhaus, PiL, Wire, Slits, Fall, Mekons
Anarcho-Punk: Crass, Rudimentary Peni, Flux of Pink Indians, Ex, Conflict, Zounds, Subhumans
Hardcore: Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Dicks, Poison Idea, MDC, Misfits, Adolescents, DOA, Die Kreuzen
Crust Punk: Discharge, Amebix, His Hero is Gone, Fall of Efrafa, Deviated Instinct, Nausea, Martyrdöd
Straight Edge: Youth of Today, Gorilla Biscuits, Judge, 7Seconds, Have Heart, Bane
Post-Hardcore: Minutemen, Fugazi, Quicksand, Refused, Hüsker Dü, At the Drive-In, Jawbox, Touché Amoré, Drive Like Jehu, NoMeansNo, Slint, i hate myself
Emocore: Rites of Spring, Gray Matter, Heroin, Moss Icon, Hot Water Music, Dag Nasty
Crossover Thrash: DRI, Corrosion of Conformity, Cro-Mags, Madball, Suicidal Tendencies
Pop Punk: Descendents, Jawbreaker, Samiam, NOFX, Screeching Weasel, Thermals, Leatherface, Pennywise

its one of those albums that everyone knows is fucking great except for the snobby hipster cocksuckers who put their pretentious fucking noses in the air at anything popular.

There's only 2 or 3 really good songs on it.
>bodies
>no feelings
>submission
The rest is overplayed/overrated. Remove Lydon lyrics and singing and there's nothing left.
Also Flipper dude.

Also good call, I need to drop i hate myself - they're one of my favorite bands, but I don't think they're essential enough

UK Punk: Clash, Jam, Sex Pistols, Damned, Adverts, X-Ray Spex, UK Subs, Stiff Little Fingers, Buzzcocks, Stranglers
LA Punk: Germs, X, Fear, Black Flag, Circle Jerks, Weirdos, Dils, Dead Kennedys, Gun Club, Dickies, Social Distortion, Bad Religion, Flipper
Hardcore: Bad Brains, Minor Threat, Dicks, Poison Idea, MDC, Misfits, Adolescents, DOA, Die Kreuzen
Post-Hardcore: Minutemen, Fugazi, Quicksand, Refused, Hüsker Dü, At the Drive-In, Jawbox, Touché Amoré, Drive Like Jehu, NoMeansNo, Slint

Yes. Every song is memorable and the musicianship is great.

Liar and Problems are terrible filler tracks. Everything else is good, but those two are shit.

Yea Forums doesnt like it so its good

a band that was so overrated it became underrated because everyone shits on them now

i couldnt have worded it better myself

It’s extremely culturally significant, however it’s not very good

tell me one album that copied or took inspiration from its style. it didn't do anything remotely new, its riffs were stranded in classic/glam rock

Submission, Holidays in the Sun, and to a lesser extent God Save the Queen are good tracks however

Liar is excellent. Problems have a bit of a weak chorus. I would say that Seventeen is the weakest track.
>tell me one album that copied or took inspiration from its style
Every single hard rock band from the late early 80s to mid 90s..

STOP POSTING INXY: THE INTERNET HATE MACHINE IS AFTER YOU

FUCK INXY!

please name one

as much as I hate the Ramones they were infinitely more influential. slow punk after the pistols wasn't a thing - it was consigned to the annals of non influential history like the other pub rock bands around at the time

Was it a great album? Not really. Was it a genre defining album that inspired those who came after? Absolutely.

Every single grunge band. Both Soundgarden and Pearl Jam blended Led Zeppelin/Black Sabbath with Sex Pistols