Coming from the Woodstock thread, does

Coming from the Woodstock thread, does
Yea Forums hate the Grateful Dead? Is this a recent thing?

Attached: 01220__22346.1471453707.686.800.jpg (686x800, 45K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7BgzrfUA8lo
youtu.be/NDuZfdf4hFQ
youtube.com/watch?v=pqQsFigcuO0
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pass
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hall_(musician)
tomorrowsverse.com/story/dead-is-jazz-the-grateful-deads-greatest-jazz-collaborations-17922.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Grateful Dead are the most boomer band ever man
Touch of Grey is fucking great though

Yes, they fucking suck

CIA Psyop band

they blow massive chunks

The hate for the Dead on this board stems from not actually listening to the dead.

they make Phish seem like a decent bad

oh fuck off.

>giving a shit about the grateful dead
its not 1966 pops

this.

"great" is an overstatement, but it's fine. everything else they did is unabashed boomer crap

the dead are just a shitty version of the eagles

i dont understand the hate. lets discuss. aoxomoxoa is a fantastic album. live/dead is an incredibly important live album. dead live 72, fantastic. scarlett begonias/ fire on the mountain cornell 77 is incredible. help on the way/slipknot/franklyns tower is the shit. yeah there is a fair amount of boomers into the dead and i guess now without listening to much they associate the dead as solely a boomer sound, its a herd mindset because i remember not too long ago people on here liked the dead and recently there have been some hate towards them so many others follow.

Even their fans don't own any of their albums. And nobody was going to those shows for the music. It was all about drugs and partying.

Don't give me that music bullshit.

Just an influx of reddit zoomers tonight. Notice the tame impala thread

Grateful Dead is reddit incarnate. Now go back.

I am definitely a fan and I own 10 or so of their records. eat shit

That's how I feel, the overwhelming hate seemed to come out of nowhere? I thought it was consensus that live/dead and aoxomoxoa were good albums. Also, people willing to listen to more dead enjoyed Blues for Allah and Europe 72.

They do not make memorable music in the slightest. In one ear out the other. They have zero grasp of melody.

Congrats, you bought into the bullshit.

They have maybe two albums worth listening to (American Beauty and Workingmans Dead), but neither are even that good at all and pretty generic. Only 3.77 on RYM too so far from "classic". And it just gets worse from there.

How exactly? And repeating what I say will not prove your points

Estimated Prophet you fucking retard

youtube.com/watch?v=7BgzrfUA8lo

Attached: 1531920347440.jpg (354x286, 25K)

anyone with taste has always hated the dead. the fact that a handful of boomers/stoner junkies stumbled on here and had a few conversations about them in the past doesn't change that.

>tfw you learn what this song is about
feels

I dunno. Their sound is just way too fucking cheesy and light for my taste. like Air Supply or Chicago but for folk music.

this. Just because there are 24/7 KPOP threads on Yea Forums doesn't mean Yea Forums loves KPOP

youtu.be/NDuZfdf4hFQ

Attached: flat,550x550,075,f.u10.jpg (393x550, 30K)

>How to write a Grateful Dead "song"

1. Add 1/2 cup Eagles, 1/3 cup CSNY, and 1/4 cup yacht rock.
2. Dilute with two gallons water
3. Insert lyrics referencing cocaine use, some form of transportation, allusions to tripping on acid, generic "Americana/heartland" imagery, and generic optimistic hippie platitudes about always being happy no matter what.
4. Generic 4 chord progression.
5. Add a dash of reggae appropriation and smooth jazz influence for good measure
6. Add lots of dated and unnecessary production techniques
7. Guitar solo
8. Repeat chorus 10× to close

>the "live" shit
1. Add plenty of reverb
2. Three minute introduction
3. Play first verse and chorus of song
4. Proceed to play those same four chords instrumentally for ten minutes
5. Breakdown into uncoordinated and out of tune guitar and bass wankery for half an hour while the rest of the members take a smoke break
6. Entire audience is so wasted on copious amounts of booze and pot and whippets and 5 tabs of acid to the point that they can't discern how shitty the music really is.

you have obviously not listened to them if youre saying that

we hate that our parents never shut the fuck up about what a time it was to be at dead shows, maaan. it was the community, you just had to be there.
we hate it and we shouldn't stop hating it and we're not going to stop. the music itself is bland, if that wasn't bad enough

>you have obviously not listened to them if youre saying that
I have literally listened to two of their albums moron.

Get off your phone and experience real life then technology addicted zoomer

Maybe some guitar players can illuminate shit here. Isn't Garcia respected as a player with Jazz-level guitar playing chops, who's adept at improv?

Shitty noodling stoned country. Worst fan base in all of music.

Only thing I’ve heard by them that was worth listening to was Aoxomoxoa.

No he's a junkie hack who barely knew his way around the instrument. That goes for the whole band too.

My fucking neighbor's kids' garage band is more talented than these losers.

You have to be high outta your mind to think this is good
youtube.com/watch?v=pqQsFigcuO0

*practices his scales for 15 minutes*

WOW GENIUS

>Only 3.77 on RYM too so far from "classic"
I don’t even like the Grateful Dead but g you sound like the kind of guy who checks RYM religiously before giving any record a chance, ever.

Then tell them your feelings about it and ask them to stop talking about it around you. If they do it again, change the subject and remind them that you're tired of it. It is literally that easy, fucking zipperface.

>Isn't Garcia respected as a player with Jazz-level guitar playing chops,
Yep. On the level of George Benson, Jim Hall, Pat Metheny, and Joe Pass. Dead haters are simply too biased by contrarianism toward their parents to see the facts.

No. Ever notice how not a single legitimate musician ever liked the Dead, or collaborated with them, or cited them as an influence, only terrible jam bands, SoCal ska crap, and bland folksy singer-songwriters? And even those aren't that many. This band had virtually no impact.

Absolutely spot on.

Its titled "Haunting solo from 95" because he died in 1995 and really should not of played for health reasons. The other links posted above seem to be a more real representation of his abilities on the guitar. He was also quite skilled on banjo and played with some world class players like Tony Rice. He is a pretty well respected musician who is getting hate from neckbeards on Yea Forums.

this was the same year he died. dude was in terrible shape and it clearly showed the last few years he was alive. this is not at all what people remember him for and not representative of his playing

>George Benson
the "Give Me the night guy"??
>Pat Metheny
HELL NO HE'S NOT
>the rest
literally who

i'l be greatful when they're all dead
shitstains on music

I second this post.

George Benson was the top Jazz guitarist in the later half of the 60s and early 70s (played with everyone, Miles, Freddie Hubbard, Herbie, etc, etc) until he switched gears and became an RnB singer. He indeed has a weird career arc.

Joe Pass and Jim Hall are legends.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Pass
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hall_(musician)

psychedelic music but it's buttprov

>like Air Supply or Chicago but for folk music.
this

Basically Adult Contemporary folk rock

Also played with ornette coleman, the Marsalis brothers, as well as David Grossman. All excellent, well respected musicians. More qualified on the matter than you.

nah

>Jazz

Let’s all hide behind improvisation because we can’t write an actual song and have no balls. Can you be any more of a pretentious hipster asswipe?

and bad "improvisation" at that
any real jazz musician doesn't think shit of jerry garcia

Attached: Screenshot_20190308-013621_Samsung Internet.jpg (1080x2220, 953K)

>Pat Metheny mentioned Jerry Garcia

Holy fuckballs Batman! A boring bland artist mentioned another boring bland artist. Quick! Call Guitar Center. They’ll love this!

Anyone who thinks the Grateful Dead are anything but abominable dogshit has literally no taste.

You have autism dude

Don’t you have a National Forest to go trash?

Pretty sure members of the band in general played with jazz musicians frequently.
tomorrowsverse.com/story/dead-is-jazz-the-grateful-deads-greatest-jazz-collaborations-17922.html

See

>Pat Metheny
>"Boring, bland..."

Learn theory, then the light bulb MIGHT go off when you listen to him. If not, continue listening to Grimes or Lil Whatever, Zoomer.

All of this Dead hate stems from people thinking they were a country rock band and never actually listening to Anthem of the Sun or Live/Dead.

>learn theory

God. This pretentious twerp in one glorious spaghetti spilling nutshell.

Attached: 430F5621-F0ED-4264-B221-9FF5728991C5.gif (320x240, 3.48M)

so they were psych for two years and folk rock for the rest of their career

More like
>psych for three years
>folk for three years
>mix of both for three years
>mix of funk and folk for three years
>hiatus
>pop rock/folk for their last two albums

Who cares about someone's entire career? Tons of great artists from the '60s are putting out trash today.

theyre boring