I just cannot get into Nick Cave.. I've tried Let Love In, The Good Son, and Tender Prey

I just cannot get into Nick Cave.. I've tried Let Love In, The Good Son, and Tender Prey.

It's odd because Tom Waits is one of my favorite artists and everyone says how they're so similar.

His music is listenable it's just only a few songs have grabbed me. I want to get into him, I really like his lyrics but I don't know his songs just don't come together in an interesting way for me. I don't think it has nearly the same emotional impact and imagery as prime Waits. Any tips? Anything else I should listen to?

Attached: Mejia-Nick-Cave.jpg (727x545, 83K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UyDqULz9ECc
youtube.com/watch?v=Rk5gRVvf4Yc
youtube.com/watch?v=S-XaFi6tWck
theredhandfiles.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

The Birthday Party?

Watch his live shows, if his performance doesn't move you he just isn't for you

Try the Boatmans Call

i'm a big nick cave fan and see what you're getting at, but how does the good son do nothing for you? it's incredible front to back. compared to tom waits they're on different levels. waits is more of an soulful storyteller, cave just has great talent for writing evocative songs and their instrumentals are miles apart

me neither. it's ok to not like things user

THIS IS... THE WEEPING SONG

I just cannot get into Mark Kozelek.. I've tried Perils From the Sea, S/T, and Like Rats.

It's odd because James Joyce is one of my favorite artists and everyone says how they're so similar.

His music is listenable it's just only a few songs have grabbed me. I want to get into him, I really like his lyrics but I don't know his songs just don't come together in an interesting way for me. I don't think it has nearly the same emotional impact and imagery as prime Joyce. Any tips? Anything else I should listen to?

Attached: kozoates.jpg (800x600, 366K)

Grinderman might be better jumping off point. I've learned to really like the Good Son too. But as with Tom Waits I've never massively enjoyed his cabaret type stuff.

I agree that Nick Cave is kind of a difficult to click artist
Pic related was the first album of his that clicked for me and it's actually fucking good
Watch Der Himmel Uber Berlin and it will click even easier

Attached: 220px-Yourfuneralmytrial.jpg (220x220, 15K)

Why are you asking for tips to like a particular artist? If Nick Cave's songs don't grab you then listen to other music.

It's actually not okay to not like Nick Cave.

Go back to The Birthday Party and work from there

I just feel like he's pretentious

Based

Nick Cave and Tom Waits don't remind me of each other at all.

Good suggestion.

I would try this

youtube.com/watch?v=UyDqULz9ECc

... then this ...

youtube.com/watch?v=Rk5gRVvf4Yc

Attached: DLUZq3PUIAE1_lX.jpg (693x1031, 145K)

Listen to Benji, the stream of consciousness of the songwriting sometimes sprawls into unexpected, revelatory places. So it's a little Joycean in that sense.

This was also a pretty good performance:
youtube.com/watch?v=S-XaFi6tWck

There's nothing really wrong with the idea of Nick Cave, but the problem is that his music simply doesn't live up to the idea and never will.

Even his kid dying couldn't make him produce a good album.

Isn’t that the guy who did the song red dead redemption 2– I mean red right hand?

First track sounds cool, but never really develops beyond that one chord drone. The Fall use to do the same thing but then bash you upside the fucking head when the song really came together. Second song puts me to sleep. Guess Cave isn't for me.

Most of Skeleton Tree was already complete by the time his son died

it doesn't matter because it sucks either way.

I always thought he was more of a performance artist than a musician
I tend to assign Nick Cave fans to the same box as people who take Yoko Ono seriously

>I always thought he was more of a performance artist than a musician

No, that's Tom Waits

nah

He gets on stage, acts like a drunk hobo, then goes back to his white picket fence life. Ask any of his collaborators, the guy is totally different to his stage persona. Cave is going for something more real and more personal

>the defining characteristic of a musician is his off-stage personality
Wanna know how I can tell you're a Nick Cave fan?

Didn't say or even imply that, only that Waits is a far bigger "performance artist" than Cave, and far more removed from the audience. Waits would never do something like this for example

theredhandfiles.com/

Listen to Murder Ballads bud