Are there any blues/folk/Americana artists with Bob Dylan esque lyrics and John Fahey type hypnotic fingerpicking?

Are there any blues/folk/Americana artists with Bob Dylan esque lyrics and John Fahey type hypnotic fingerpicking?

Attached: Petrusich-John-Fahey-and-American-Primitive-Music.jpg (727x1003, 135K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiN-7mukU_REx4cpDothn4VXGF8jT6I-G
youtube.com/watch?v=039dGqVIA-c
youtube.com/watch?v=kafucYIelec
youtube.com/watch?v=n-ITx9dT6dY
youtu.be/Kn6Y6Tmlh1k
youtube.com/watch?v=puxj1gIZmh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Townes Van Zandt
John Prine
Steve Earle

The Fahey style open tunings are incredibly full, they really don't lend themselves to vocals. There are probably exceptions but it's not common.

You should learn who Fahey is before you respond.

Yeah I get that, I know Faheys compositions are far and beyond, but I really love how hypnotic his fingerpicking style can be. I guess what I'm looking for is something like Dylans Desolation Row/Visions of Johanna/Sad Eyed Lady, pre Dylan. Like some obscure fingerpicking bluesman with 10 minutes songs with surreal lyrics and hypnotic 6 string guitar fingerpicking, but sadly I don't thing such thing exists :(

Bump

Jandek checks all those boxes, user. Listen to Ready for the House

That would be a good suggestion, unfortunately I've never bought the intentional off-key singing and playing shtick. I love his one album (don't remember what it's called) with the sweet bluesy rock riffs

The only artists that I can think of like this are Tallest Man on Earth and Kurt Vile.

>hurr gibbe recs
>give recs
>NO NOT THE SAME AS ARTIST
Eat shit then
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bert Jansch

Addendum: also Basho, but his lyrics aren’t quite Dylan-Esque. Of a similar intensity, but much more serene and mystical in outlook (contrast with Dylan’s ascerbicisms and deconstruction).

Nick Drake?

try Roy Harper and maybe Jim O'Rourke (Fahey inspired guitar and the lyrics aren't as surreal as Dylan but definitely as bitter)

OP here, is not me

This guy fucks. Robbie Basho and Tallest Man are pretty much what you are looking for, OP.

Oh, well listen to Townes Van Zandt
Start here
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLiN-7mukU_REx4cpDothn4VXGF8jT6I-G

Already familiar with all of these. Basho is one of the first ones that popped into my head, but his vocals, while really beautiful and unique, don't quite scratch that itch like Dylans ironic vocal. Sorry for being so vague, I'm just really searching for something which I'm not quite sure exists at all

As for Townes, love him. Heard all of his records already, and as far as I know he doesn't have a 10 minute surreal opus. My favorite record of his is the live at the old quarter recording, such an intimate experience. Care less for his studio work with has really generic mixing most of the time (mainly because Townes himself did not care that much for the sound as for the songs) and all the slide guitar and studio trickery

I mean, what you're looking for is pretty specific and I don't know if you'll be able to find it unless you do some digging
The reason that those two artists are as lauded as they are is because they did something fairly original for the genre

Takoma Records is a label Fahey started with a bunch of great instrumental stuff, though
Try going through that

Numero put out a really great comp a while back if you can find it

Attached: 15519960688711783545759.jpg (4000x3000, 2.99M)

018: Wayfaring Strangers: Guitar Soli

I'm actually listening to Fahey right now, so this is something I would definitely want to think about. Wouldn't necessarily call his lyrics Dylanesque, but you ought to give Luther Dickinson a listen. You could quibble that his guitar style isn't really identical to Fahey, but for me they both conjure up a similar mood. They're also both steeped in Americana traditions while also kind of doing their own thing.

Been listening to Blues and Ballads a lot lately.

youtube.com/watch?v=039dGqVIA-c

youtube.com/watch?v=kafucYIelec

youtube.com/watch?v=n-ITx9dT6dY

Attached: blues-and-ballads.png (355x355, 119K)

Bump

The guy you're looking for is named Blind Joe Death and he doesn't exist.

I can only hope. Any recs?

Jackson C. Frank maybe?

If Jackson C Frank ever did a cover of sad eyed lady of the lowlands he would probably be my favorite artist of all time

lmao why? Fahey was a fucking hack, bet you niggas don't know better primitivism

I've been listening to a lot of Lost Dog Street Band lately. Not exactly what you're looking for but I'm sure you'll like it.

That Tyler guy that looks like an old baby

there is no better primitivism than Fahey

More specific please

William Tyler

Check out Bob Seger

youtu.be/Kn6Y6Tmlh1k

fahey basho the list goes on

So Fahey's better than himself?

Bob Dylan fucking sucks. Get high and listen to Six Organs of Admittance or Dan Higgs.

I think he’s accusing fahey and basho of being primitivists for tourist

Gotcha. Gatekeeping is such tiresome bullshit, I don't even know why I engage these people. Here's something I was listening to earlier that should probably fit this thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=puxj1gIZmh4

Hell yeah, glad more and more people are figuring out who he is

Jim Croce

Bert Jansch

Not off the top of my head

jimmy fallon