What went wrong?

What went wrong?

Attached: useyourillusionjpg-12727b7e5d3bd869.jpg (1523x768, 463K)

forgot to write enough good songs to maintain interest across 2 albums

A band's best album tends to be their first since their whole life has led to it, the pressures of putting out a product to fulfill a contract usually dilutes the product. inb4 bowie dylan eno etc, i'm talkin typical rock bands which GnR were/are

someones ego got bigger than the planet.
theres not much room in a band van for an entire planet to sit with the other members

too much time
too much money
too much coke

i mean anyone who records appetite for destruction is gonna get the biggest blankest check ever for the follow-up and that's where trouble begins

>became the biggest band on the planet
>only played stadiums and the biggest arenas

Yeah, it sure went wrong

>implying that has anything to do with the quality of the music

When they tried to be the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Bob Dylan, David Bowie, Elton John and Queen all at once.

They waited too long for the followup to Appetite which should have come out in 1989, not 91. The rock world had changed quite a bit between 87 and 91.

GNR was always shit

cringe post
cringe take
gonna be a yikes from me my dude, thanks for playing

Replacing Steve Adler with Matt Sorum for one thing. The drumming lost its sense of swing and became a flat, one-dimensional beat.

how is breakdown so fucking good bros

Unironically one of the worst songs on either album

Axl Rose is an idiot. That's what went wrong.

Axl's growing megalomania for one thing.

>muh axl
fuck off, these albums might be going off in too many directions and are bloated as hell but at least he's trying. what, you want thirty tracks of slash's funk-metal bullshit?

not axl btw

that's just what axl would say

These albums are fucking great, you're a retarded fuckwit

gimme your best 12-track UYI

Appetite was a bunch of lowlife dirty rock and rollers who shot up heroin, drank Jack Daniels, and fucked cheap sluts. Illusion was a bunch of rich, comfy MTV rock stars who could now afford to buy $1 million worth of cocaine a month and date supermodels.

The outro to Locomotive is one of GNR's greatest compositions.

Nothing

too bad about the rest of the song

Whatever. It's just like Jagger and Richards or Steven Tyler and Joe Perry. The frontman wants to be...uh...eclectic and the guitarist just wants to play rawk.

you know there's too much time spent, money blown and coke done when it's like day 432 of recording and someone thinks it's a good idea to ad-lib "cool ranch dressing" over a track

Don't Cry is by far the best GnR ballad period and one of the best power ballads of all time only snubbed out by works from Skid Row and Warrant.

Attached: axl-rose-by-katarina-benzova.jpg (745x523, 103K)

A1 You Could Be Mine
A2 Double Talkin’ Jive
A3 Don’t Cry (Alt.)

B1 The Garden
B2 Garden of Eden
B3 Estranged
B4 Get in the Ring

C1 Civil War
C2 Yesterdays
C3 Back Off Bitch
C4 You Ain’t the First

D1 November Rain
D2 Dead Horse
D3 Coma

UYI and Metallica S/T were absolutely massive back at the time and practically ubiquitous in every white teen's boombox or record shelf, but they haven't aged well and feel very much like the early 90s.

lookin mighty good user

here's mine

A1 pretty tied up
A2 perfect crime
A3 don't cry (original)
A4 civil war

B1 you could be mine
B2 double talkin' jive
B3 november rain

C1 garden of eden
C2 breakdown
C3 estranged

D1 dead horse
D2 coma

there's a lot of good long/slow songs on here but few good tracks that really "rock" imo

>Christgau pretty much hates GNR until they do an album of classic punk covers including New York Dolls
>omg album of the year instant A XD

The whole thing is just too slick and overproduced, you could tell the hunger just wasn't there like it was on Appetite.

>go from Rocket Queen and Mr. Brownstone to Axl doing duets with Elton John and music videos where he swims with dolphins

This is the dumbest narrative, and shows you only listened to the songs that had music videos

Any real fan knows the albums had plenty of hard rocking tunes

Go to bed Axl.

with the exception of YCBM and dead horse all the hard rocking songs on UYI 1+2 are nonentities

Too much bloat. The two albums were expensive if you wanted to buy both and it was during the early 90s economic recession.

I bet you also think post-80s Metallica are ok because they play stadiums.