Why did the whole indie rock genre collapse?

Why did the whole indie rock genre collapse?

Attached: bruh.png (556x411, 294K)

Cause for the past 10 years its been nothing but boring etherea sounding garbage

It’s boring

If the clickbait articles are to be believed, it’s Pavement’s fault.

This, plus white people are cancelled

Attached: 01-solange-7.w700.h700.jpg (700x700, 103K)

This and poptimism

It became the mainstream alternative format and quickly became completely saturated and soulless, which is how you ended up with shit like Mumford and Sons and Imagine Dragons.

Because it turns out it costs money to make music and even more to make good music! And music listeners voted with their wallets!

When someone works a full time job to keep a roof over their head they *WILL NOT* be spending the little time left in their week writing songs, recording, and touring! IT DOESN'T HAPPEN! THIS IS A FANTASY!

Then what you're left with is a group of people who can "afford" to pursue music, "trust-funders" if you will. But sadly most trust funders aren't necessarily talented musically and then we get what we've gotten for the last 15 years or so in indie music: uninteresting tripe made by what are in essence little more than bourgeoisie dilettantes.

You see, those old fuddy-duddy indie record labels were (for lack of a better term) a true "equal opportunity" employer. If you had a good band that the locals where you lived were interested in then your foot was in the door! Music label A&Rs wanted the most talented up and coming bands to work with because those bands were *MUCH* more likely to sell records!

But alas, that's all gone now! It's been replaced by a system where the only people who can hash it out in the indie circuit are spoiled rich kids who have absolutely NOTHING interesting to say but can afford to play with their vanity projects out in public.

But UNDERSTAND that all this isn't the trust-funders fault! It's yours!
>YOU DECIDED TO STOP BUYING RECORDS
>YOU DECIDED TO UNINCENTIVIZE THE COSTLY DEVELOPMENT OF NEW AND TALENTED ARTISTS
>YOU VOTED WITH YOUR POCKETBOOK

Attached: you.jpg (159x233, 9K)

It became brutal post-punk

The same people who listen to indie decided that only music made my black people, gays, or transsexuals was worth listening to and indie is a white genre.

Because white men and their boring ass Bon Iver's shit are fucking #over. NBA youngboy on the beat

*the same people who make indie

This narrative is not true. I know lots of musicians who have never had any money or grown up with any money and they still play shows, make albums, etc. I know more musicians like that than trust funder style musicians.

>I know musicians that have had no support system, will have no support system, and therefore can't legitimately pursue music on a professional level
>I know musicians who work day jobs instead of spending their time actually practicing, writing, and recording their music
SAD!

MANY SUCH CASES!

As someone said, indie got too white. I'm glad it's collapsing since the indie rock genre itself is an implied microaggression toward people of color, as the expense and time requirement involved in creating music via the method of instruments and bandmates is a barrier to entry for marginalized groups. This translated into those marginalized groups seeking other methods of creation, at first turntables, then samplers, then DAWs. This left indie rock as the sole domain of the "dejected white suburban bro" whose stories simply don't connect with the mainstream anymore.

>When critics like David Turner assess the decline of indie rock, they often link musical blandness to the notion that straight white dudes with guitars don’t exactly have the most urgent and compelling stories to tell (Turner: “For most of its history, indie rock has been largely driven by the travails of the dejected white bro”).

Attached: Whiteness.png (1077x770, 1.07M)

People drank the numetal and emo kool aid instead
It was fine for a few years until they realized that they were listening to cringy shit for far too long
Meanwhile indie rock aged like a fine wine and it was way too late for it to get popular since rap completed its way to the zeitgeist

nah. Like I said they make releases and play shows. One band I know played like 100 shows last year. None of them are from rich families.

indie was cool and successful for a long time after both numetal and emo. Don't know where you got your idea.

But it's not how they make their living, is it?

No. That's the whole point - I'm saying there are musicians who don't have a lot of money and have to work but also produce a lot and play a lot of shows

>they make releases and play shows
lol so does every other middle school band. let me know when they tour japan or even outside their state
also
>muh anecdotal evidence
lol get fucked

Yep. Indie will die with the younger zoomers. All the 12 years I see are into trap and shit, white, black, brown, yellow, purple, doesn't matter. Some skinny nerd singing about depression, alienation or whatever just doesn't interest modern music listeners. They want stories about growing up in the hood and stories about the white man keeping the brother down (This is America).

This and the fact that it's "indie" because it was never meant to be made like a conveyor product, most good indie bands of the 90's had 1 charting single if any at all before swerving somewhere else, all these commercial acts choked upon themselves because they had to play it safe

>No.
Correct. Because they don't have any other option.
>I'm saying there are musicians who are wasting what little time they have spinning their wheels and getting nowhere because there's nobody there to give them the support they'd need to actually accomplish anything worthwhile or noteworthy
Of course you are. And you along with everybody else decided that fate for them as consumers.

Over saturation would be my guess

Lack of new ideas and innovation made it boring.

Also not cool.

One of their bands toured the US last year
Not sure why you're mad at me. Just telling you the truth about things that I know. Sorry it doesn't fit your narrative. I also don't give a shit about indie or whatever cushy business model you're imagining used to exist for indie bands so you can get fucked. Indie sucks, indie labels got fucked. Boohoo. lol.

>One of their bands toured the US last year
Wow and then he was forced to come back to do what to actually pay his rent?

I already said they work regular jobs and that's my whole point. What are you on and why are you so bitter?

In my country the indie genre is one of the most listened genre desu and in english and spanish language

>whatever cushy business model you're imagining used to exist for indie bands
This is hilarious, please keep replying and revealing your profound ignorance!

Tell me this my man, what job did Stephen Malkmus have when he was writing Slanted and Enchanted? What day job did Kevin Sheilds have when he was writing Loveless?

I know how the industry used to work. I'm just confident that you wouldn't have gotten the deal you're bitter about whether it was still that way or not You're completely unhinged.

>indie rock
Most of them are just pop bands who think using electric guitar makes them rock.
Or acoustic guitar but claim they are alt or folk.

Stoner Rock is where the true spirit still lies, just under excessive fuss and downtuning.

You don't want to answer the question? Why?

What day job did Elliott Smith have when he was writing Either/Or? What did Jeff Tweedy do to make ends meet during the production of Yankee Hotel Foxtrot?

Understand you're humiliating yourself here, I'm not doing this to you.

I answered your question. I'm just trolling you becaues it's funny how incredibly butthurt you are over this. Anyway, it's a tradeoff. You can have "indie" (not really indie) labels giving advances but that comes along with some fat jew picking the winners and losers of the indie scene. Or you can have no one getting advances and everyone has to figure it out for themselves, but no one is gatekeeping or propping up garbage like Pavement.

>uses caps
>uses exclamation points
stop replying to this bait

>I'm just trolling you
Oh wow, how convenient! Pic related!

But seriously though, answer my question: what job did Carrie Brownstein have when Sleater-Kinney was writing Dig Me Out? What day job was Doug Martsch doing when he was recording Keep It Like a Secret?

Attached: b29.jpg (680x1058, 86K)

None. They had no jobs. They had advances from their labels. Why do you keep asking?
It's not bait, he's right that the industry used to work like that. He's wrong that these changes would cause the collapse of a genre though.

>You can have "indie" (not really indie)
i'd love to see your tiny oxygen deprived brain try to explain that one
>some fat jew
lol never mind room temperature iq confirmed

Do you think MatPat's wife Stephanie likes indie rock?

Attached: 51179637_455759618293540_4329553415495823137_n.jpg (1080x1349, 70K)

>explain
Sure - many so called "indie" labels were and are actually subsidiaries of major labels, some semi-openly, some more covertly. The "indie" industry has largely always been a sham.
>mad about his genre collapsing
>lol corporate bussiness culture (i.e. jews) have nothing to do with why this happened
It's hopeless for you. Can you imagine the kind of cognitive dissonance that an angry leftist must be feeling at this point? I can understand why so many are cracking and becoming trans and exhibiting other mental illnesses.

>He wasnt there when rock radio was full of Emo and Numetal shit
Indie outlived both since it didnt focus solely on teen angst

>tfw you are witnessing the death of indie while metal is still going strong

Attached: emg-devin-townsend.jpg (690x388, 31K)

>look mama i'm trolling!
You got BTFO and this was the only option you had left. Sad.
Because Metalheads actually buy records for some reason.

? You're living completely in a delusion you've made up about this thread. You're actually mentally ill I think.
Yeah, that's what I said. Indie outlasted emo and numetal.

Oh, you want more?
>They had no jobs.
Except they did, they were professional musicians.

At best you're intellectually dishonest, at worse you're an actual idiot. So far the good money's on idiot. You're response?

>You're response?
I'm response

At least you can say you learned something today, right?

You're welcome.

lol is this what they taught you on /pol/ lad

Attached: 501.png (735x541, 27K)

Same time Tuesday?

Indie rock = basedboy
Hip hop = Chad

Attached: 1344393029482_3102868.png (420x294, 43K)

normies = girl
Indie = white guy
Hip hop = black guy

WOAH

Attached: ahhhh.png (714x800, 73K)

Not sure your poor anus could take it to be quite honest.

The media, as a way to limit the expression of artistry, decided to twist the narration in which we perceive music as consumers. Journalists that work for companies pandering towards the left is only normal. However it’s infuriating to see artists get hailed as innovators merely because they are “culturally diverse” or “pushing the boundaries of sexuality in the music industry.” Many times the artistry in the music now comes secondary to the image. The media wants to cover artists that won’t give them a headache. Ones that love the publicity. The ones that sell themselves out for a buck or a like. The ones that don’t mind just agreeing with the narrative because they are afraid to use their own mind. It’s always been like this, but never THIS bad

I was referring to the underground, as usually the underground media hasn’t had such a hold on your expression.

>underground media
>in the information age
you sound stupid desu

ya im strayan and fucking everyone here listens to indie rock

>third world shitholes that are 30 years behind the the first world

Attached: 1525808630780.jpg (1080x1080, 119K)

If you don’t understand what I’m implying, then I disregard your mockery for you are only incompetent

the internet made it so too many artists could put themselves out there

you're not implying anything, you're claiming something exists that can't

>you’re not implying anything, you’re claiming something exists that can’t

And the Age of Information doesn’t apply to that how?

I’m merely stating that Indie-Rock had a foundation in the 80’s on smaller Labels like 4AD, Flying Nun, Creation, etc., and those bands were received much differently than the bands on MTV at the time. It’s not much different now as it’s ever been, however the quality of it all has plummeted because so many musicians are frightened to raise their voices in fear that certain music outlets would drop them completely.

ok one more time cause you're special
>underground media
>in the information age
you still sound just as stupid desu

Oh I get it. You’re trolling.

Here’s a (you), kiddo

you're not helping yourself here

hi, chris

Attached: hiding.png (891x500, 681K)

It's just so sad that so many indie bands thinks they have to be as limp dicked as possible.

>Using microaggression unironically

Attached: 1551662663846.jpg (1125x1107, 991K)