Total zoomerfag here who knows absolutely nothing about the prodigy outside of "smack my bitch up"...

total zoomerfag here who knows absolutely nothing about the prodigy outside of "smack my bitch up". Are the prodigy fairly well-respected? In light of Keith Flint's death, it seems many people have been praising him as some kind of genius. based on his look, i always assumed they were a band like limp bizkit or some shit

Attached: image.jpg (620x330, 20K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7gTvYETZc
youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw
youtube.com/watch?v=QzvRShWU8No
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica
youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM
youtube.com/watch?v=iTxOKsyZ0Lw
youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8
youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA
youtube.com/watch?v=yca6UsllwYs
youtube.com/watch?v=6_PAHbqq-o4
youtube.com/watch?v=gEQNAZGoZrw
youtube.com/watch?v=FATTzbm78cc
youtube.com/watch?v=QhZnEagfjTQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they're the death grips of the 90s

They were fairly big in the early to mid 90s techno scene.

Keith wasn't a genius, he wasn't even a musician
He was a bloody good performer though, from when he was a dancer with to group early on to when he took on a frontman position within the band

Liam Howlett is the guy who writes the music, all 3 of The Prodigy's 90s albums are essential, the first two though are what you should listen to if you assumed the band was just limp bizcut

Attached: 515v5QZvlJL._SL1500_.jpg (500x500, 39K)

this

oldfag here, Death grips were the first band i listened to that i thought was on par with them.

oldfag here. death grips and the prodigy are both memes

youtube.com/watch?v=Ig7gTvYETZc
They were best known for being covered by Gene Simmons

Attached: 2fa64dd7b0e0fac32c4beadcca157f733.jpg (480x360, 29K)

Even though its their most popular start with firestarter youtube.com/watch?v=wmin5WkOuPw its p amazing, if you like it. Move on to their first two albums

>comparing the prodigy to death grips
ill glass any cunt who dares say this

Its essential 90s electronic music

holy shit this is terrible

is this proto-death grips

Released three really solid albums in Experience, Jilted (masterpiece) and Fat of the Land. They lost their way in the 00s, though. 7 year hiatus between albums.

they had a minor but historically significant place as one of the first big beat electronic artist to break into mainstream chart-topping success. they are remembered with affection by gen xers for introducing mainstream to new sounds and popularizing a genre without diluting its essence. you can hear traces of their dna in edm/dubstep.
they freaked out the kids and were understood by oldfags to be ridiculous with their edgelord lyrics and image, but in an enjoyable big dumb fun way and not really objectionably stupid like limp bizkit. not really hipster darlings like deathgrips.

Them or Atari Teenage Riot.

youtube.com/watch?v=QzvRShWU8No

wow soo edgie xdd

this is literally jumex for boomers

I never got why people called call the prodigy edgy they were all about being big ,loud and full of raw energy.

Edge was the order of the day in the 90s, but ATR was noteworthy for fusing punk with spastic, distorted gabber beats and hyperactive synth lines, similar to the way the Death Grips fuse punk and industrial hip-hop (I think DG has even used gabber beats before).

Not a fan of either, really, but ATR is the first group that comes to mind when I hear proto-Death Grips.

emotion and self-expression is for edgelords

the awful post Fat single Babys Got a Temper is them at their most embarrassing edginess

they did an ode to a date rape drug and a song with the hook "smack my bitch up"
combined with their ott visual style edgelordism was an aspect of their aesthetic

for some reason their sound annoys me
it's not evil or hard, just annoying

it's quite the contrary, my sweet gentlesir
aggressive intellect and inability to perceive anything apart from complex patterns and turgid aesthetics is for edgelords

shit, now I don't know WHAT to think

Wait wasn't Keith Flint Just their Dancer?

listen to fat of the land, it's a great album - all catchy bangers pretty much

What are you even talking about? None of that bullshit has anything to do with being edgy.

edgy post

Ah yes, a rich middle-aged washed-up rockstar surrounded by hundreds of models and all the trappings of wealth. Very twisted, very punk.

>Keith wasn't a genius, he wasn't even a musician
>He was a bloody good performer though

Pretty much, not wishing to take anything away from Keith, but Maxim is often overlooked for his stage/video-presence and vocals because he did a lot

God I can't wait until that cunt dies

just listen to their albums faggot zoomer

You don't know what edgy means and you're just masturbating, ok.

>Are the prodigy fairly well-respected?
If you're a 20-something in the 90s, or a teenager in the 2000s, and into the club scene or electronic music
Outside of that, no one really cared about them.

>people have been praising him as some kind of genius
Definitely not a genius, a punk vocalist for an electronic act at best

> i always assumed they were a band like limp bizkit or some shit
Pretty accurate - limp bizkit of the dance / electronic scene in the 90s / early 2000s.

they made quality dance music, if you dont give a shit about going to clubs then its not for you

wow, i didnt think i could have any more disdain for Gene. Wow, he really tried as hard as he could to live the shittiest life possible. What a garbage video and cover.

Apart from Firestarter memes that are few and spread out, there's not many memes. Too bad because Keith did great reaction faces

>Pretty accurate - limp bizkit of the dance / electronic scene in the 90s / early 2000s.

that depends if you were part of the UK/Euro rave scene of the late 80s/90's or simply an American looking from the outside in

>Are the prodigy fairly well-respected?
Not at all, it's just media hype.

He just added a heavier guitar and his shittier vocals. Any of you faggots could do better than him.

Definitely, especially if you watch the music video

>1
In that "ode" (Baby's Got a Temper) he makes it blatantly clear the girl isn't the only one taking it ("We like Rohypnol, she take Rohypnol, WE TAKE Rohypnol, just forget it all")
>2
The "Change my pitch up, Smack my bitch up" was literally ripped from a rap acapella. I'm certain Liam only shoved it in because it sounded good, not because he wants to beat up/drug girls.

The only edge at best was the Post-Fat albums having a "heavier" sound and Keith's edgy punk look.

Lead vocalist, Maxim is their MC by the way.

Also, I cannot unsee Prodigy as anything but Electronic Death Grips (does that make sense? I know DG's instrumentals would fit in the electronic category but it's experimental rap)

lol

where can I find the full unedited video for smack my bitch up

dubs of truth

oh mr. i use big words lmao

How to spot a newfag 101:
Starts posts with
>oldfag here

Attached: keith_flint_1260520221452.jpg (2877x3542, 1.12M)

Keith wasn't a genius, he was basically the Flavor Flav of The Prodigy. Liam Howlett was the real brains behind the operation.

In the 90's electronic music was very big in western europe, and in the uk in particular.

Back then they tried to market it to america (who wasnt very into electronic music at the time) as "electronica"

Prodigy, fat boy slim, the Crystal method, the chemical brothers, daft punk, aphex twin.

Some good stuff.

But also some shit like IM BLUE IF I WERE GREEN I WOULD DIE

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronica

youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM

Now imagine hearing all this great electronica then you get millinals in the 2010's thinking sterile EDM and wubstep is electronic music lmao

Attached: ebin benis.png (550x575, 20K)

Does there exist any modern equivalent or successor movement to the 90s/early2000s UK scene?

after the 90's/2000s the whole thing sort of went dormant until the 2010's when faggy millinals started lisetning to garbage like deadmoose and skrillho

>Now imagine hearing all this great electronica then you get millinals in the 2010's thinking sterile EDM and wubstep is electronic music lmao
my boomer dad from 49' thinks the same
bassist is him on pic

Attached: asdasd.png (649x960, 895K)

old people tend to be right about things

They were one of the famous electronic artist in late 90’s/early 20’s. People always remember Fatboy Slim, Chemical Brothers and The Prodigy as the mainstream big beat artist. Another thing is early Prodigy was pure rave, escpecially with the album Experience. Their influence is varied across electronic music.

Anyways, what’s the difference between rave and jungle?

if you were looking for which music act/band was responsible for the end of guitar rock's total dominance of global mainstream music we see today, and the popular acceptance of digital edm, keyboards and laptops in popular music, this is the act. before the prodigy edm was reserved only for small niteclubs. these guys were the first edm act to go stadium level popularity. they actually were the firestarters - ironically. keith was the frontman and one of the best

Keith wasn't even on like 90% of Prodigy songs. He just sometimes did vocals and did live performances. Liam is the writer, and yes they are more respected overseas.

bullshitpost

they brought a very specific sound to the mainstream, a sound that you can still hear on the radio every single day

you fucktard, keith started the prodigy with liam back in high school. get a clue

Probably from 96 to 2001 this was like the first major go of electronic music to try and make a foot in america.

Most of the acts were from engerland. Electronica was more of an umbrella term, the only thing binding them was that they all made electronic music.

But they were from diffrent genres like trip hop, IDM, jungle, big beat, techno, house, ambient, D&B etc.

youtube.com/watch?v=iTxOKsyZ0Lw

youtube.com/watch?v=wCDIYvFmgW8

youtube.com/watch?v=A12-KN5UijA

youtube.com/watch?v=yca6UsllwYs

youtube.com/watch?v=6_PAHbqq-o4

youtube.com/watch?v=gEQNAZGoZrw

youtube.com/watch?v=FATTzbm78cc

youtube.com/watch?v=QhZnEagfjTQ

Attached: bleep.png (850x469, 398K)

so no dj shadow, daft punk or moby, and the like....idiot