/prod/ - Music Production General "never gonna make it" Edition

New to producing? Check the faq pastebin.com/B4nMDwmZ

Still got questions? Please be specific with what you're trying to do, the better you explain the better people will be able to help you.

Post works in progress to instaud.io/ or clyp with an anonymous account. Anything with your artist name should be posted in the soundcloud or bandcamp threads

LAST THREAD:

Attached: 21751402_1685815011490955_4592372667336525080_n.png (597x598, 589K)

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/aynesrfs
youtube.com/watch?v=eJPEcDa-F50
musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval
youtube.com/watch?v=pvh-ieuM8yg
youtube.com/watch?v=B5YNiCfWC3A
youtube.com/watch?v=8xs5aoJTMwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ila-hAUXR5U
instaud.io/3o9m
forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61626
clyp.it/pojltnxw
instaud.io/1xzZ
instaud.io/1xAE
instaud.io/1y1d
youtube.com/watch?v=ecz3LwWOZkI
soundcloud.com/user-43405766/throw-away-your-books-silk-roadtrip
clyp.it/a4xmsfvd
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum
youtube.com/watch?v=cuaSkSdvaxI
instaud.io/F8F
clyp.it/dxzc5vin
clyp.it/v5y5az2x
instaud.io/private/edccbc0c41c7f3596d2aa4ffb3dac14139df2eff
youtube.com/watch?v=Icc-WhrTAY4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

And we're back.

clyp.it/aynesrfs

Attached: wojak_ddd.jpg (750x745, 402K)

Fuck you. I've got a better edition.

Mine was made 6 minutes ago dude get over yourself

Doesn't matter, I made the superior thread. There are useful links to two of the best crash courses in theory on youtube. Your edition is stupid. Stop being so prideful.

Just repost your links in here, stop acting like a goofball

Anybody else have this problem?

Attached: 14925463_1260681290670998_3646541811964875435_n.png (691x414, 333K)

>problem
Boy that's a AAA feature right there.

No good. People need theory thrown in their fucking face. I posted an essay-length post on theory in the last two threads and its been largely ignored. I will tell you from 10 years of personal experience. You will get NOWHERE without theory and ear training.

>AAA feature
I don't even know what that means

double 9's confirm

nobody cares dude
people will learn theory if they want to or if they don't want to
but its not like the quality of your music matters for shit if you can't market yourself
> You will get NOWHERE without theory and ear training.
peep the thread edition

is this good or bad?

what are some settings to improve?

Attached: latency.jpg (434x288, 32K)

Oh sure you might get famous. If you are making music to get famous or "blow up", then you're just a presumptuous no-talent piece of shit anyway. I'm trying to help people realize the ideas that they have in their heads. That's literally all that matters. Not marketing, you dumb shit.

Attached: 1497674005448.gif (190x300, 1.54M)

anyone know how i can get my drums to sound like this i can already replicate the synths
youtube.com/watch?v=eJPEcDa-F50
i need it for my mixtape im producing the beats for would appreciate it

Attached: MetalGear094.jpg (830x1284, 219K)

you're the one that saying "you'll never make it if you don't learn music theory", what do you think "make it" means?

sound like this how

im trying to replicate the sound of the drums but it isnt just gated reverb im wonder what other effects are on them and i dont wanna straight up sample them

Being able to make music that you love. That's literally it.

Probably because you were being an autist and generally annoying. You can't force people to care dude lol

I appreciate the help, but I'm curious: is it worth it to ear train out of context intervals via that one ear training website or just try and sing shit in your head before you play it?

Okay, keep making the same shit over and over again. I'm sure you'll feel very creatively fulfilled doing that.

yes, absolutely it is. The quality of intervals is the most fundamental element of building harmony and melody. You need to identify intervals to move onto the more important ability of identifying the quality of chords (not just the names but the functions they serve in their context).

>Just making shit up to insult somebody
Yeah great. It's nice you tried to contribute but you're being a dickhead

Ok, I'll trust you. I just wish that these guys made something for Android
musictheory.net/exercises/ear-interval

I'm not making shit up. I have 10 years of spurning theory and making the worst shit possible versus 5 years of learning theory (really only 2 if we're talking beyond the basics) and ear training and becoming a lot better than I wanted to be in the first place.

I like the production in these songs, if I wanted to produce music using similar sounding effects and instruments what software would you guys recommend?

youtube.com/watch?v=pvh-ieuM8yg
youtube.com/watch?v=B5YNiCfWC3A
youtube.com/watch?v=8xs5aoJTMwQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ila-hAUXR5U

it doesn't matter what you use

am i good?

Attached: giphy.gif (327x487, 3.64M)

ayy u gud bb

my stupid ass forgot the link
instaud.io/3o9m

Actually maybe its time for /prod/ to balkanize. I mean look at the last edition, fucking 6ix9ine! If you are trying to make music of any level of sophistication, do you really want to be weighed down by these douchebags who just want money and attention? Anyone with actual creative ambitions should join my thread, and we can share in a golden era of mutual and consistent improvement.

Attached: fairlight_cmi.jpg (1000x663, 438K)

Like you could afford a CMI if you weren't some kind of sellout pop musician.

why would anybody want to listen to somebody who spent a decade making music and was still terrible lmao

a synthesizer........ like SeRuM. or literally any synth made in the past 15 years. and a daw. didn't you ask this like two weeks ago and still haven't found out since then???

>btw how to digitalize tape casettes into computurr///
dude shut the fuck up and just leave if you don't like it

I post the CMI because its what producers used back in the 80s and by today's standards it sounds like shit but the music holds up because of good arrangement. Also I got CMI soundfonts no problem.

forum.vintagesynth.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61626

Because now I make good music :^) Its almost like learning theory, and ear training helps with this or something.

clyp.it/pojltnxw

umm, no. There is nothing interesting happening in this music.

My fart synth is better.
(it's PX7)

>clyp.it/pojltnxw
>Because now I make good music
>
>Its almost like learning theory, and ear training helps with this or something.
>
I was doing ear training but after hearing this I decided to stop. Thanks for the proof that it isn't worth it.

Attached: aa-Cover-cnnb69utphce56tglm934b9uf7-20180314142654.Medi.jpg (800x448, 27K)

please be impersonating. there's no way you're that delusional

fucker's even bumping his own duplicate thread for patricians lol

Yeah, I made that with what ableton came with. I have no interest in sound design for the most part (though I gated some drums today because they sounded hollow). But guess what? Some guy said he'd master my shit 4FREE! And what's more this was in a thread where I basically said Iglooghost was a gimmicky theorylet and everyone, indlucing that guy was full of shit. But I showed them.

Attached: Deal_With_It.jpg (209x241, 5K)

I don't necessarily want to be famous the greatest or like a billionaire
I just want people to pay attention to me

yeah so this is a troll
all that back and forth for nothing

>"you need music theory to make good music"
>not interested in sound design

Attached: 1542755284991.jpg (1087x1080, 112K)

You need theory to make good music that's interesting and different, yes.

>I just want people to pay attention to me
T.
Sammy

>If you are making music to get famous or "blow up", then you're just a presumptuous no-talent piece of shit anyway
based.

I'm absolutely serious. A fellow /classical/ poster said /prod/ was so shitty that I should just give up on it. Guess what? I don't give up, I succeed.

Attached: smughog.png (357x387, 362K)

Here's another thing I made that 5 or so anons said "Holy shit that's good". But wait till you see what I got coming up. Another 12 Tone beat. Strictly serial. I have a B section, melody and everything. It'll blow you fuckers out of the water.

instaud.io/1xzZ

You have inspired me, Smughog.
>instaud.io/1xzZ
Ladies and gentlemen, it's Mr. Mancini.
Very based.

Attached: ganbarimasu.jpg (620x603, 39K)

imagine if this was the "serious" music made by that german troll and he just went over the edge posting noise shit because he gave up after realizing he'd never git gud after trying and failing for so long so he decided he would actively try to fuck with other musicians on Yea Forums because he's so pissed off that his music was bad lol

well.
i don't like it.

kek its that ramses guy or whatever its pretty funny

My music is not bad and I am quite satisfied. Actually maybe its just too sophisticated for the idiots in /prod/ lol. Do you think 29 people would download a bad piece of music?

instaud.io/1xAE
instaud.io/1y1d

Is anyone downloading your music? No? Get fucked, ya big dummy.

Attached: A-236035-1337010231-2660.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 103K)

this sound very random but it wouldn't be that bad if it wasn't for the drums

Make that 30 ;)
What VST's/sound libraries do I need to make music like this?
youtube.com/watch?v=ecz3LwWOZkI

I dunno, but that's one sexy song. I basically just made Kluuk3 with Ableton packs. Orchestral strings (double bass section (pizzicato), string ensemble, solo violin), preset pads with some minor tweaks. The preset piano. Some shitty preset bass. Even the drums were presets. I have a lot of soundfonts now but I wouldn't know a low frequency oscillator from some other thing I don't even know the name of.

no

Your music is Demarcus tier and it's even worse considering how long you've been doing this and EVEN worse because you're a giant fag who thinks he's enlightened or something

>tons of presets but I know theory that doesn't make me better :^)
Go fucking figure

trying to make my first sample kit to sell

should i follow the same naming format that "star lullaby" has? with the key and the bpm?

do people even care?

what's the optimal length for a sample?

Attached: sample kit.jpg (392x254, 24K)

>trying to make my first sample kit to sell
let us know how that works, i've been thinking about selling my (secret weapon) sounds (but only the meh ones)

yes i think that's a decent format. yes people care. no optimal length. I think it's generally annoying when it's too long though. you're good. unless this is a trap kit, then why

Just wanted to let you know that my browser extensions make the site not work correctly, so I have to download it to listen to it.
Even when I'm using a different browser, the site doesn't always work (I think it depends on the file that was uploaded), so it's likely that multiple people merely downloaded it to be able to hear it, not because they liked it so much that they wanted to listen to it again.

Does anyone have any experience with Celery? Is it worth buying or should I stick with serum for farty phlegmy synths

>Celery
?

>Celery
code for synplant? and rubber?

the fuck is a celery?

Attached: 251_Celebi.png (150x142, 4K)

>Does anyone have any experience with Celery?
Ask Paul McCartney

its gonna mostly be a synthwave/chiptune one because i think that one would sell the most and its what i personally would want anyways

how much sample files is a good amount for a ~10$ pack?

i brought some 10 dollar packs that had like half a gig of stuff and one pack that only had like 15 files

Attached: 1525247250475.jpg (698x698, 199K)

Lmao I'm retarded I meant synplant, a guy was telling me about plugins you can make grime with and he kept calling it celery, I think he just meant the texture he was going for with it.

>synplant
Yes it's good. I've been lying about how I make rubber sounds all along and the secret is actually synplant.

FUCK IT FEELS GOOD TO COME CLEAN

it's a meme synth, serum will give more flexibilty and control over your sounds

>meme synth
do people actually care about it? I thought it got *slight* attention because flume said he used it but nobody actually gave a shit because there's nothing unique about it apart from the interface

if you're serious i'm mad

>Demarcus tier
sigh

What would you recommend instead then?

i meant that as an insult to him and a compliment to you. he's been doing this for over 15 years!

you already mentioned serum....
and i didn't mean to imply that synplant was a bad synth, any demo you hear will refute that.

for grime? pretty much any big name synth will do it. i'm partial to massive and fm8 over most anything else but that's just me

Well, thank you then. Sorry if I sound like a faggot right now it just gets tiresome being used as an example of low quality. I wish I had more self control because as depressing as making bad music is I do enjoy the process and practicing/learning, I really need to take a break though and get inspired.

I only just realized I never thought of making music from the perspective of "what would I want to hear?". I honestly don't know anymore. Lyrically or sound-wise. I wanted more sincere relatable rappers like Kanye but then I finally listened to Tyler and he does/did exactly that. It'd be nice if there were more rappers like that but I don't know if I could/should be that person.

Not him but this is Yea Forums.
We're all anonymous so everyone who's recognizable gets memed, even the knowledgeable people like Phaser who used to get shit on daily when he first started posting a year or two ago.
It's just part of the culture. Don't take it so personally.

>it just gets tiresome being used as an example of low quality

i'm sorry, I should have realized what a dick I was being, i'll stop it.

loving the process is what makes somebody get good naturally and stick to it man

You're right. I used to get memed back when I was like 15 on Yea Forums and I just thought it was funny. It's not that big of a deal but it is slightly annoying cause it feels like I rarely get actual feedback anymore. I guess I don't ask for it though.

Thank you.
>loving the process is what makes somebody get good naturally and stick to it man
I'm trying/figuring out new shit almost every time I make a new song, like I realized I like drum rolls and I've started cutting/rearranging parts of a song and looping them in certain sections. But for the most part I'm just doing the same shit over and over. Making average/below average trap beats that aren't gonna earn me a following or money. I really need to take a break so I can start learning theory and actually listen to music so I have an idea of what truly interests me.

Yeah actually people have downloaded my music.
How bout dat?

I actually think 12 tone shit lends itself well to trap.
The unsettling dissonance of it works well for violent and disassociative lyricism.

pity bump

soundcloud.com/user-43405766/throw-away-your-books-silk-roadtrip

Does this sound like ass? I mixed it on a terrible set of headphones so it probably sounds like ass

yo why is this shit so dead

no links to listen to
trolling above
no interesting (non-autistic) ideas to discuss
it's night in the states

i just got into a noise/industrial kick and realize i'm stupid for not making this genre because it would be easy as shit and would easily mold to my style/sound-design-autism. idk i need to focus on one thing so i can actually work on "making it"
/blog

What is a good free step sequencer VST to download?

I'm currently using my laptop connected to a USB interface and the interface is hooked up to my studio monitors. Yesterday I bought a DJ setup (not a controller, an actual 3 piece setup) of 2 CDJs and a mixer.

How would I connect the mixer to output to my studio monitors?
Will 2 XLRs going from the master L and R out of the mixer going into 2 inputs on my interface work?

Pic related is my interface

Attached: item_XL_35771912_139206015.jpg (600x303, 42K)

it should work, I wonder if you can connect both the audio interface and the mixer straight to the speakers at the same time

clyp.it/a4xmsfvd

Tried to make some Drum and Bass without holding any knowledge of the genre

Attached: david-bowie-iconography-7-638.jpg (638x359, 86K)

not bad, if you don't know anything about the genre it's a good result, biggest problems are:
>repetetive melody, got bored of it in the intro already
>snare almost completely absent

Thanks! Yeah I need to hash out some chords for a B section but I'm very busy with uni work. I also need to find a decent snare sample that doesn't sound like shite in the mix

getting the snare right is one of the hardest parts of drum and bass, it can completely change the mood and the energy of the track

serum sucks and it's not for rap music

Cope harder fag. If that were the case you'd see similar download rates of other music on the site and you do not.

Attached: d9c.jpg (1200x913, 211K)

can we get some life in the thread rn

don't you motherfuckers love making music?

he didn't say its all of them, but only some, meaning that he thinks that an unknown portion of the downloaders actually like it and another portion only wanted to listen to it.

If people actually like it then its better than you spiteful vipers say it is.

This implies that people's taste is an objective measure of quality, which is ridiculous because people like all kinds of stuff, from the actually good things to the bottom of the barrel trash.

Not saying yours is good or bad (haven't even listened to it). Just that your argument is retarded.

Further reading:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

So I should accept the opinions of people who like ridiculous and simplistic music and who are ready to hate everything out of ressentiment over the positive reinforcement I am receiving? No, go fuck yourself!

Attached: b9691d71e5ce484ebb9e7d9a539c60e7.jpg (500x500, 36K)

bruno mars
sampha
weeknd

what do these niggas have in common

You should do whatever the fuck you want I don't give a shit you retard.
Go be deluded somewhere else and don't come back until you've learned how to apply logic to formulate a coherent thought.

theyre not white

Attached: 1551973414730.png (326x661, 383K)

no. They all have that creamy buttery voice that kills shit.

like it's got that aesthetic appeal

oh and post malone

Yeah man, good start to work from.
I agree with the other guy, needs more melodic variation and some snappy snare.

It seems like you got a good handle on stuff, but I always like to mention these videos in hopes PH will make more some day.
youtube.com/watch?v=cuaSkSdvaxI

Nobody will listen to your music if you don't into sound design and mastering.

This is a year old.

Yes. I took a long hiatus from making music to work away at my other hobbies. My interests tend to cycle.

You do. Usually you will see one or two downloads 24 hours after posting. Considering that link is a year old, well you know what I'm gonna say

you're free to think that 29 people had the same browser extension that causes instaud.io not to work better if it makes coping easier, user.

Attached: doritoface.jpg (600x600, 11K)

instaud.io/F8F

clyp.it/dxzc5vin

Hastily threw together some of your advice, cheers again

still not enough snare really. For DnB the drums can't just loop every 4 bars, they have to be doing different things. It sounds nice tho fren.

opinions on this sound?

is it too harsh or ugly to be a main synth in a hiphop track?

forgot clyp
clyp.it/v5y5az2x

I like it personally.

yeah, i'm a fan of fuzzy shit as well.

How dis soun frens?

instaud.io/private/edccbc0c41c7f3596d2aa4ffb3dac14139df2eff

Attached: 1550805849602.png (614x614, 31K)

any tips on getting a synth to wobble? I'm looking for something like the main synth in this track, but everything I make sounds too agressive with the cutoff, while the one in the track sounds way more chill: youtube.com/watch?v=Icc-WhrTAY4

good composition. wish the drums were louder, and it was a bit less static. like right now it sounds like it has no soul, but it has the potential to be something magical. develop it some more, user

Filter modulation needs to have the filter's resonance set pretty low to avoid edginess/aggression creeping in, this also helps with preserving more low end on some synths when resonance thins them out a little.

You could also try reducing the LFO modulation depth, or pull your initial cutoff frequency a little lower so your sound is a little darker and more deep sounding.

Why did you post this?

Attached: 0686efd0b8442ca7a4e06887371ec478b8bccaf07686a92f0dd2819d8b625bff.jpg (966x1000, 324K)

Because by those idiots' logic, this thing should have 20 or more downloads but it has zero because its just some people on the phone.

Honestly, /prod/, do you at least enjoy making for yourself and not "yeah for myself but actually I secretly want to get a bit famous"?

*making music

Yes, all I care about is translating the ideas in my head into reality, and having ideas that are more interesting to begin with as well.