Grunge starts with Where is my Mind, right?

grunge starts with Where is my Mind, right?

Attached: SurferRosa.jpg (312x312, 16K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gNkKq9mVeVc
youtu.be/GQhEvfeJocM
youtube.com/watch?v=aAdtUDaBfRA
youtube.com/watch?v=W4UuUkt-g4s
twitter.com/AnonBabble

there's also Neil Young

youtu.be/gNkKq9mVeVc

No
This
youtu.be/GQhEvfeJocM

Neil your mum

Attached: Уточка.jpg (216x233, 10K)

Neil Old lol

Lol no

Attached: 220px-DeepSix1985.jpg (220x214, 16K)

Proto grunge is mother love bone. Then the lead singer dies.
So the rest of the band team up with eddie vedder and chris cornell because THEY GOING HUNGGGGGGGGRY YEEEEEEEAAAAA

Attached: mother love bone.jpg (1500x828, 411K)

You're Living All Over Me would be a more accurate starting point but really grunge started naturally as a generation that grew up idolising classic rock like led zeppelin as well as alternative music began forming bands

>no Mudhoney
>no Melvins
>no Scratch Acid
>not Break My Body

shit thread

Break My Body is a bad contender I'd say. Pixies were massively influential for the way their songs went from quiet, bass only verses to loud guitar heavy choruses which I'd say is a trademark of grunge

Anyway Break My Body has a bit of that but the guitar is a lot more prominent throughout the song

well, sure, but quiet-loud dynamics is just a meme-tier grunge convention. Take the epithome of grunge imho, Touch Me I'm Sick, as an example. They were like fuck silence on that one. I don't really think it's about loud-quiet, but noise/punk inspired mid tempo catchy tunes instead.

Everyones just going to keep ignoring this band then

>Meme tier convention
What does that even mean

I'd say it's a pretty big staple of the genre but the things you mentioned are as well.

Nobody's ignoring REM retard they just aren't a grunge band. They're fantastic, but they aren't grunge.

*invents grunge in 1969*
youtube.com/watch?v=aAdtUDaBfRA

nah, man. They were a huge influence on the Pixies and alt rock as a whole, and by extention, on grunge. But hey, so was I Am The Walrus.

I honestly don't really think of grunge as a genre, or at least not in the way everyone seems to do. It's more like no-wave, in the sense that the term was coined to describe a scene, ethos and aesthetic rather than a set of conventions. Keep in mind that Nirvana did not fucking invent grunge, but it surely popularized it, so a lot of post-nirvana bands were just ripping off the ultimate rip-off band. Think of Soundgarden or Sonic Youth. Hell, even the Melvins were experimenting with that sound pretty early in their carreer. Quiet-loud-quiet wasn't as much as an essential item in the checklist until Nirvana mashed Mudhoney, Pixies and the Melvins together.

I WAS SWIMMIN IN THE CARE RIBBIAN
ANIMALS WERE HIDING BEHIND THE RAWK
EXCEPT THE LIL FISH
BUT THEY TOLD ME HE SWEARS
TRYNA TALK TO ME KOIKOY

>tfw playing this ond acoustic guitar and I get to this part
it's fucking impossible to look cool while singing this shit

Toadies pretty much made an alternate version of this song
youtube.com/watch?v=W4UuUkt-g4s

black francis truly was something else

I WILL BE WITH HERRR TONIGHT YEEEAAHHHH

finishing one of my songs and realising I've subconsciously copied one of my favourite bands is my worst nightmare.
This one is clearly just plagiarism, tho.

the term grunge and alt rock were obvs manufactured by record companies. But the bands of that era were clearly the babies both of classic rock and of college rock like REM, the pixies, punk, metal.

Nirvana is basically : dude, what if the beatles were a punk/metal band

Sound garden is basically : dude what if led zepplin was a punk/metal band

Pearl jam is basically: dude, what if neil young was a punk/metal band

alice in chains is basically : dude what if black sabbath was a band in the 90s

then ya got billy corgan flying around in the background being all "dude what if my bloody valentine was an alt rock band"

>being influenced is ripping off
Nirvana took the good shit and threw away the trash.
They were inspired by Mudhoney, Pixies and Melvins but they surpassed them, it happens. John Lennon was inspired by Buddy Holly and Chuck Berry, he surpassed them too

might be, I like this one a little better though
maybe it's because I haven't heard this one before, or maybe because the vocalist is more expressive

fuck the pixies and also fuck ure mom

High IQ

Attached: a5MZ4DL_700b.jpg (326x294, 18K)

It starts with the gun club

True, 'grunge' only caught on as a term after Buzz Osbourne used it sarcastically anyway. I wouldn't say it was as rigidly defined as No Wave, as in it wasn't reactionary like No Wave was but more an eclectic sphere of influences coalescing into one scene

Tyler is a weird gem. It's in the middle of a mediocre album by a mediocre band and like you said it's a straight up ripoff, but there's something about the lyrics that gets me, it's a fantastic view into an obsessed persons mindset, and the riff is great even if its super similar to Pixies.

>inspired
Man, have you heard Need by Mudhoney? Or U-Mass by the Pixies?
When I say rip-off I don't mean copying musical frases textually, but appropriating the style and dynamics of -yes- better bands. Nirvana are only considered better because they wete more radio friendly, so normies at that time found it easier to get into. Kinda like what happened with the Beatles and The Velvet Underground. You can be inspired heavily by a band and still come up with a truly authentic sound, like Sabbath did with Cream.

desu I hadn't heard them before. I might give them a listen.

the first 2 albums are definitely great

I think that's right, but perhaps we tend to overestimate the reactionary quality of no-wave. I don't believe it was all merely about coming up with an alternative to mainstream music and conventions through dissonance. Think of Glenn Branca or the more ortodox Stockhausen. It was about introducing new developments to the musical canon deliberately.

can someone please explain to me what the fuck just happened? I didn't type "desu" before posting. I definitely do not fucking do that.

ewww..... that's way too fucking similar

the site engine replaces t b h with desu if the letters are not spaced

I've been here for ten years and that never happened before. Is it just a Yea Forums thing? I tend to just lurk, but today I've been quite active.

>Is it just a Yea Forums thing?
I suppose so

It actually starts with "Counterfeit" by Limp Bizkit

Attached: fred-durst1-1413220194-view-1.jpg (620x460, 47K)

Well I wouldn't consider Branca No Wave despite him also being kind of the king of No Wave lol. Branca was a legitimate composer who wrote incredibly technical music on a grandiose scale. I consider bands like Teenage Jesus and DNA to be the embodiment of the scene, it was highly reactionary not only against mainstream music but also specifically against punk rock and the emerging art punk scene. Lydia Lunch described it along the lines of "you [punks] think you're destroying rock? Fuck you, we'll show you destroyed"

A lot of it was people trying to sound as atonal as possible and tearing down established ideas of good music. That being said James Chance, while very No Wave, made new and exciting music that wasn't based (completely) around sounding abrasive. Same with Suicide.

No it's site wide, happened a couple years ago. F a m turns into senpai and s. o. y turns into onions

true that, mi negro
sounds fair, actually. Frogposting filter when?