Whats the best Prog metal album?

and why is it pic related

Attached: still life.png (600x600, 782K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ZXOMBRh3wwE
youtube.com/watch?v=p3SXIWS7rBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AmhPqUdVHQU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

watershed is better

progressive rock/metal is for people who prefer listening to instruments over listening to music

I've never heard this one before, how'd you think that one up wow

what kind of brainlet remark is that?

its more music than playing one note over a boring drum beat because normies think vocals are all that matters

I would agree, but Concept albums are just more special to me. desu, picking one Opeth album as the best is very hard

You probably have the top one, but this one is up there. Missing Sequences could make anybody headbang.

Attached: voivod nothingface.jpg (600x600, 137K)

Never heard of them, listening to that album now

I can hear the bass so I like it already. My one problem with Opeth is that the amazing bass parts get drowned out half the time

>SIXTH SENSE STOCKPILED IN THE CELLAR
>AND THE LADDER IS BROKEN
this has to be my favorite album of all time

You posted the same thing on the other thread.
Prog metal? Sure it falls into what you're saying but not prog rock. Go liaten to Robert Wyatt or This Heat.

Prog metal is a very shitty genre

tech/prog whatever you want to call it, this is the best

Attached: 812gqLevS4L._SL1500_.jpg (1500x1500, 313K)

my all-time favorite
youtube.com/watch?v=ZXOMBRh3wwE

Attached: sideshow symphonies.jpg (498x498, 57K)

I wouldn't say best, but I REALLY enjoy this album

Attached: 1000x1000.jpg (1000x1000, 216K)

Dream Theater's best album is Scenes from a Memory hands down, but images and words is great too

If live albums count then this without a doubt.

Attached: 220px-Dtlsfny.jpg (220x208, 18K)

im looking forward for some anniversary scenes from a memory shows

too bad LaBrie's voice isnt anywhere close to what it was

Right band, wrong album. Blackwater park. It’s this but more refined

LaBrie's voice was never good, it was better before the poisoning but it was still cheesy as hell. Even if they do any shows they will add some of their new material which is cringe at best. DT after Scenes was a mistake.

I acknowledge your dubs and agree that Blackwater park is great. while blackwater parks never has bad moments imo, Still life's highs are much higher. Also, watershed is better than blackwater.

Okay I will respect placing still life above blackwater park, but NOT watershed. Don’t get me wrong, watershed is great but definitely not better than BP. Explain

Morning rise is better
>watershed above anything besides the albums succeeding it

Not OP but your opinion is literally meaningless if you think morningrise is better than ANY of their heavy albums

first dude that posted watershed here. its my personal fav because it showed growth after the losing peter, the keys had more freedom, and its their first album where the drummer wasnt playing in the pocket the entire album
>watershed above anything besides the albums succeeding it
yeah, not discrediting my arms, bp, d/d. see above

for one, Heir Apparent is badass. Leper affinity used to be my favorite Opeth song, Heir Apparent blew it out of the water(the blackwater huehue). Coil is an amazing lead up to it. I Leper affinity's beggining is kinda awkward a more dramatic buildup or none at all would have been better.
The Lotus eater is just an amazing song and very underrated while Bleak is good but a bit overrated imo. I prefer most of blackwater parks individual songs over watershed like funeral Portrait and The Drapery falls are some o my all time favorites. but Watershed just feels more varried throughout where bp as an album just does the start soft for a while then go heavy and back thing in most of the songs. Watershed feels more varied and is more fun to listen to from start to finish

I love morning rise, but its really only above orchid(maybe), and heritage.

about tied with my arms (my arms a bit above imo), sorceress and pale communion.
yeah thats right, I like prog rock Opeth

I prefer Hatross and Mental Vortex respectively, but Voivod and Coroner are undeniably the kings. Voivod especially, one of the greatest bands ever.

Can’t deny heir apparent is top tier opeth. Disagree, but respect

As far as Opeth goes, I would say MAYH > Still Life > Blackwater Park > Ghost Reveries

I don't see much point in ranking Damnation amongst these but it's a very nice prog rock album. Deliverance is probably the weakest of their good era but the title track is their best song. I don't care for pre-MAYH or post-Watershed that much

Still Life is the best thing Opeth has ever done with Morningrise as a close second. Mikaels lyrics can be cringe compilation tier at times but other times can be very powerful. On these two albums theyre mostly good. The atmosphere on Still Life and Morningrise are also their best. The renaissance sounding acoustic passages and jazzy moments are so amazing and contrast the death/black riffs very well. BWP is just too polished and commercial and even boring at times. It's overrated beyond belief

Attached: dink.gif (326x326, 625K)

Howwww is morningrise 2nd? It has aged so badly

I disagree that everyone post Scenes was bad, but the last two DT albums have been quite the let down.

>It has aged so badly
how? name one album that sounds like morningrise

LTIA - King Crimson

>compared to Ghost Reveries and Blackwater Park

Attached: 1531632376121s.jpg (250x250, 8K)

All of the ideas of morningrise are half-baked. Not bad, but not up to the standard they set for themselves on later albums. Bottom tier opeth album

Benighted is pure bliss

>All of the ideas of morningrise are half-baked. Not bad, but not up to the standard they set for themselves on later albums. Bottom tier opeth album
t. hasnt heard black rose immortal, to bid you farwell and advent

To bid you farewell is the prime example of half-baked ideas

>To bid you farewell is the prime example of half-baked ideas

Attached: dog.png (367x652, 378K)

you need to be bid farewell, heretic

PALE FACE, HAGGARD GRIN
THIS SERENITY PAINTED DEATH

You’re only angry because you know it’s true

Attached: A169AD33-FD25-49F0-80DF-E491001AE0BD.jpg (390x257, 27K)

it has some pretty wicked lyrics too
>Vows in ashes
>I pledge myself to no-one
>Seethed and spiteful
>All shudder at the call of my name
>If you'll bear with me
>You'll fear of me
>You'd never leave me to
>A fate with you

Does this count as prog metal?

Attached: 1000x1000.jpg (1000x1000, 411K)

i've never listened to that album, but im sure its more prog than tool

I'll see them live in a few months, I wonder how it'll be like.

mikael will sound like shit growling guarantee it

Mikael's screams are kinda monotoned nowadays, but still pretty good. hopefully Fredrik can keep his guitar plugged in. overall, should be a good show, you have my envy cause ill probably be at work or on this meme forum

damn shame, he had one of the best growls in metal.

indeed

He should stop doing it at all and just focus on his new prog stuff, it sounds embarrassing when he tries

he should but I guess he feels obligated because most of the fans became fans listening to the old stuff with growls

he tried and all the metalbabbys were seething. heritage is one of their top albums but brainlets hate it because durr no growls

>it sounds embarrassing when he tries
really?
youtube.com/watch?v=p3SXIWS7rBQ

heritage is the worst of the post watershed albums. its the worst Opeth album, is still not bad music, but its nowhere close to a top album

for me it's the best post watershed album

maybe i need to relisten to it. to me Pale Communion was the best and sorceress is pretty much tied with it

didn't really like these two

Pale Communion is by far the best they've done after Blackwater Park.

I can't be the only one who thinks the production on sorceress sounds awful

I really dont have an ear for that stuff, doesnt sound any different from the other two quality wise to me

Prog metal's sole masterpiece

Attached: 313103.jpg (300x300, 28K)

>Whats the best Prog metal album?

Attached: Sigh - Imaginary Sonicscape.jpg (1000x1000, 574K)

The Mountain is better though

haken is the worst band on the planet

Explain

they write gay music that fags listen to while taking cock up their ass. theyre like queen but "heavier" and 100x gayer

if you cant listen to Yes, Rush, Dream Theater, and Haken and be a man, then maybe you need to chop your balls of cause you never were one

it's not horrible but it's nowhere near what it used to be

Attached: Watt.jpg (400x300, 60K)

Maybe not this particular album, but definitely one of their albums

Attached: 1E7B6223-D1D6-4EC2-8454-3B998A6A661E.jpg (1280x1280, 304K)

Can't argue with you, it's a great record.
I think it all comes down to one's preferences, I prefer Orchid and Morningrise to Still Life.
Anyway, can be pic related considered prog metal?

Attached: Fear_of_a_blank_planet.jpg (220x220, 6K)

It's an amazing album but I'd hardly call it metal. Just prog rock with a dark sound.

I never really considered PT metal just because they used drop d riffs for a time, although those last few albums were obviously influenced by his discovery of and work with Opeth

It's kind of maddening knowing they'll probably never tour again. SW's solo stuff has been a mixed bag

BRUTAL

Safe pick and I know it's metalc**e but whatever

Attached: btbam-colors.jpg (598x530, 46K)

more post-metal, but still great

Attached: Isis_Panopticon.jpg (300x300, 12K)

Well half of his set list is PT songs now

Leprous > Haken

Attached: Leprous-Bilateral.jpg (500x500, 78K)

For Dream Theater it is definitely scenes from a memory
For Gojira it's pic related
For Opeth it's deliverance

Also big fan of Soen

Attached: 220px-From_Mars_to_Sirius.jpg (220x220, 11K)

I used to like gojira, and I still do like that album, and I used to not like Mastadon, now its flipped and I don't know why
pic related is great btw

I need to dive deeper into Leprous, I've liked the songs from them that have come on my spotify autoplay

Attached: 220px-Cracktheskye.jpg (220x220, 23K)

I just finished this album, what a unique sound
youtube.com/watch?v=AmhPqUdVHQU

Attached: Ne-Obliviscaris-Portal-Of-I.jpg (500x500, 62K)

It is definitely not deliverance for opeth

This

Too bad it's their only good album

>huh huh get it we are progressive Rockers with distortion huh huh all our music is boring tripe without energy hail Peter Gabriel fuck satan
*autistic Tom Araya Screech
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Attached: south of.jpg (355x355, 52K)

It's definitely their peak, but they made a few good ones before it.

As opposed to rap, which is for people who prefer listening to angry black men ranting over listening to music

Is Celtic Frost 'prog'?

No

Hail Horror Hail was better

No, but much better than most bands on this thread (Opeth is alright, I'm talking about Dream Theater, Haken, Leprous etc)

Blackwater Park

My Nibba