Folk punk is dead

Folk punk is dead

Attached: Plan-It-X-Logo.jpg (900x900, 188K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2vPCVkkJk
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

chris clavin suicide when

I mean he's completely disappeared. If he did suicide we wouldn't even know about it.

There is still a strong scene on the West Coast, but the biggest issue with exposure for the genre is lacking a definitive record label like PIX. Without the consolidation, it's really hard to tell where the genre is at and it's going. Since all the heavy hitters either left or got outted, the last remaining "big" act in folk punk is DnD and that's a damn shame. I spent a lot of time in the folk punk scene and if anyone just put the effort forth to build the West Coast PIX, I know it would be big, but unless that happens, yeah, it's dead to anyone that's not a part of the scene.

I don't think it has a chance. The kind of leftism that made it unique is mainstream politics now. The kids who would've been attracted to it before are going to be more interested in those Daddy/Mommy weed indie bands.

Folk punk just fused with crust punk and pretty much became unlistenable imo, DnD being the prime example. I never thought Pat the Bunny would end up being the most influential artist but he was.

>tfw was heavily into plan it x and the folk punk scene back in 2005-2008
>Saw mischief brew like a million times, Pat as Johnny hobo and WDU, defiance Ohio, etc...
>Used to write letters directly to bands with a couple bucks enclosed and they'd send me CDs or records
I don't know man. It had it's time and place, and it was just a different time in the world. It was fun while it lasted.
I look at folk punk now and just cringe. It's become a tired, embarrassing parody of itself.
Good riddance. I still have good memories of it, I was simply young and naive
Also fuck AJJ and fuck daysndaze.

fusing anything with Punk was a mistake

This was pretty much me to. I have positive memories from some of the great live shows but the only actually decent bands outside of the context of the scene were Pipebomb and Mischief Brew.

let's keep it that way.
like outed as in outed as abusers?

Why is there so much hate for AJJ? Everyone seems to think their name change was pandering but they were way radically left wing even by todays standards in 2004, I think they just genuinely got sick of being 30 years old and having to explain why their band is named Jihad

And they're not even folk punk anymore, they've changed their sound completely, they only had a few acoustic songs on their last album

perhaps worth noting while we're on this topic that today's radical liberals and people who will believe anything self-professed "ml's" tell them are not meaningfully left wing

I've been listening to them since the early days and I don't care about the politics, they're just getting lazier and lazier after Can't Maintain. Tons of filler and half baked songs and generic indie rock.

They have lost a bit of their unique charm from the early days that made them so special. I think it helps to look at the newer albums outside the context of their discography. Christmas Island is secretly amazing but theres no denying the bible 2.0 was a weaker effort with the exception of Junkie Church

Good riddance. This shit was the worst.

Someone posted a folk punky banjo player on here once that was actually really talented. It was clawhammer style. Anyone have any ideas?

Good.

Good.
They sold out. You can't both be a liberal atheist and also apologize for fundamentalist Islam.

aight not a problem

When will the trend in politics that created this retard end?

Did like multiple big names turn out to be grooming underage fans?

Chris Clavin kept joking about folk punk being dead at the last pix fest and ended up killing it himself the absolute bitch. Ghost Mice doing a pop punk, electric set was sick tho

Wasn't Ghost Mice already an electric band before and they just changed their name?

no, he had some electric band but ghost mice only has acoustic songs

youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2vPCVkkJk

>They sold out
Right, that's why they're still completely independent working day jobs and touring shitty clubs, ok

And again, neckbeards are always assuming they're defending militant Islam for some reason instead of just changing their edgy name. Believe it or not people can actually change their views and think differently about how their actions affect people from the time they're 18 to when they're 30.

It had as much to do with Andrew Jackson as Islam, and again, like the band said, who wouldn't grow tired of explaining such an edgy high school tier name

Good. Fuckin psyop of a “movement” if you ask me. Wonder what percentage of affluent, well-educated Americans teens poised to actually do anything to change the world they turned into homeless buskers

thank fuck, there was really nothing worse than those twee scene kids with their denim jackets and fucking ukuleles