When did you realize that nostalgia as an artistic impetus is creatively bankrupt?

When did you realize that nostalgia as an artistic impetus is creatively bankrupt?

Attached: 403EA3A3-A298-44D8-887E-82375A907BC1.jpg (383x383, 33K)

Other urls found in this thread:

soundcloud.com/dielit02/angel-go
youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
youtube.com/watch?v=mRIWmvvHQAw
youtube.com/watch?v=PA5gwVDYQZU&t=4s
youtube.com/watch?v=m-oICMjYlXY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

when I made this soundcloud.com/dielit02/angel-go

When did you realize typing like a pretentious cunt doesn't strengthen an argument?

>a e s t h e t i c

Attached: 666DE980-A406-40AF-8D34-6040EE544E46.jpg (1080x1073, 148K)

are you saying that's the point of this tape (it is) or are you mistaking its sampling for nostalgia for itself

A2 is legit a beautiful song and a crowning achievement

hi chris

How can you listen to it and not hear it as transcendental

i do hear it as transcendental, i love the whole tape... : (
chris just really likes that one in particular
it's all good fun user

Attached: 1551666758409.jpg (474x504, 19K)

Oh didn’t know that. I’m a bit new to Onetrixpointneverhkfhfjd. Any source on that, would be cool to read. Also any other great works by him to check out? I know about Replica and but haven’t gave too Deep a listen

i seem to always fucking link these but really. this section of the shallow rewards video series is where he talks about eccojams and tangential topics (the skaters, basinski, microgenres and boutique tape/cd-r shit in general)
youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
youtube.com/watch?v=mRIWmvvHQAw
youtube.com/watch?v=PA5gwVDYQZU&t=4s
i have no idea what number 18 was or what happened to it.
i'd recommend going
>returnal
>revisit replica.
>r plus seven
>garden of delete
>age of
>RIFTS baby. 3 hours curated from maybe twice that much (i could be exaggerating) of limited releases 2008-2009
>go on to his collaborative projects and one offs starting with GAMES, then instrumental tourist, then ASTRONAUT - EARLY PERIL
happy voyaging, user ( :

also i think chris did *write* something about all of this stuff. it's on his medium but i cba to find. dead tired but still awake

Idiot, being able to invoke nostalgia is the highest praise you could give an artist. No other emotion is nearly as powerful.

Attached: Boardsofmusichas.jpg (600x600, 137K)

solid take.
it is difficult to really pull off.

Thank you :)

(early peril is very, very good. standard for its time maybe but very, very good. embryonic 0pn, rip roaring new age noise)

its rly easy to make song nostalgic (you make it lofi, detune it a bit, use sad chords etc.)and i feel like its kinda cheap when music is trying to be just nostalgic also these days there is too much nostalgic music

it's easy to use *signifiers* that bc of critical consensus have become associated w "nostalgia" but it's another thing entirely to actually *do it*. to evoke the real thing.
there's always a glut of music like that. we just live at the tail end of the 2010's and we're sick of chillwave (as an umbrella term) generally. something will shift. maybe different tropes/signifiers will signal 'nostalgia' to critics soon.

To call nostalgia, "creatively bankrupt," is absolutely ridiculous.
is a perfect example of nostalgia being used effectively, to the point that it still resonates today, and likely will for decades and even centuries to come. The problem at hand that you seem to be addressing is vaporwave, but to reduce all of the genre to a failure is ridiculous. There are many high quality works within the genre, but the main problem lies in the simplicity to produce something that might garner praise as much as, or possibly more than, something that clearly required a large amount of work. Future funk and mallsoft most clearly have a problem with repetitive works. Vaporambient often has these problems as well, but a well made release reveals itself often upon the first few seconds of the album. The whole bedroom pop movement is just played out as well. Nostalgia just needs to find its way out of the mainstream. It's mostly just used to exploit people for money.

>boc
Yeah also shit dead-end go nowhere nostalgic trash for impotent soŷ guizzlers. Maybe you’ll understand better once you graduate to some forward thinking electronic music such as Autechre.

sweet jesus fuck the guys like each other. they don't have beef with each other. boc were on skam. at a certain point they made very similar stuff, u could apply the same criticism to the first 3 autechre lp's + singles and ep's of that era, no?

autechre is arguably more söi

>eccojams
>nostalgic

Attached: what.jpg (500x385, 118K)

autechre is the bigges söy wankery of all time lmao

r8 my nostalgia song on a nostalgia scale pls:
youtube.com/watch?v=m-oICMjYlXY

Attached: 676.gif (255x255, 546K)