Mfw just learned how time signatures work

>mfw just learned how time signatures work

Attached: 1481814223441.png (372x300, 31K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=axGn6qeJHcM
youtube.com/watch?v=_AnXyYB4l2I
youtu.be/QFVS7y_zGRw
youtube.com/watch?v=twuzeiM_mL0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>mfw understand triads

Attached: f93.png (898x790, 279K)

Well?

Attached: Skeptical Freja.jpg (871x1100, 92K)

>mfw Yea Forums is too smart for me

Attached: 1521929101633.png (522x747, 210K)

its not even complicated ffs, just watch a youtube video, dummies.

>mfw learned the g major pentatonic scale on my drum set

Attached: djacob.jpg (685x385, 41K)

this dude can triangulate polyrhythms in g aexolidian on a dumextrogoze scale

i could always just feel it, sometimes it's tricky at first but i never understood how this was so hard for some people. i write stuff in unconventional time signatures all the time without consciously realizing it until later, it's just the feeling. i think people overthink it and get locked up instead of just getting on with it.

Now listen to Meshuggah and try to apply it...
youtube.com/watch?v=axGn6qeJHcM

Attached: 1285541647914.jpg (109x104, 4K)

this dude can change the harmonic content of any sound just by presence alone

that's what i'm saying, it's actually easier if you DON'T think about it so hard, even though obviously it's an important concept

can someone please explain to a brainlet what's the difference between using 1/2 time and 2/4? or 6/8 and 3/4?

found the tard

Attached: B07E2FE5-B98A-4ADD-9C7E-E6F0919A83D5.jpg (217x208, 13K)

accents. for example in 6/8, each of the 6 eigth notes is a beat so it's:
ONE TWO THREE FOUR FIVE SIX
but in 3/4 it would be
ONE and TWO and THREE and

why?

>mfw understand quartal and quintal harmony

Attached: 1479275941766.png (230x328, 11K)

Accents are different in different time signatures. That's why they exist.

I’m glack

because that's what the time signature means. 6/8 means the beat falls on the eighth note and there are 6 beats in a bar. 3/4 means the beat falls on the quarter note and there are 3 beats in a bar.

Is this song in 9/4? To me it sounds like one measure of 4/4 followed by another measure of 5/4
youtube.com/watch?v=_AnXyYB4l2I
(The first song only, this video has the first two songs of the EP in one video for some reason)
I'm bad with time signatures so pls no bully if it's wrong

I see, but how does that mean that every note has an accent on the 6/8 signature?

not every note. just the eighth notes. that's because of the /8

beat preferences. You can do 4 + 2 rhythm with 6/8 but you can't with 3/4

I would just start with understanding this

Attached: 3426.gif (430x195, 8K)

I see. Guess I'll take a look into it
thanks for the time though, lad

man fuck u guys

what in god's name is a "4+2 rhythm"?

Attached: Screen-shot-2011-08-31-at-13.30.56.png (425x276, 37K)

>mfw just learned what a note is

Attached: 73a.png (680x788, 94K)

just like this:
youtu.be/QFVS7y_zGRw

The first and 4th notes are accented, what are you on about?

>mfw know about the harmonic series

Attached: 2a4.jpg (491x280, 31K)

Time signature has nothing to do with which beats are accented. It just means, in X/Y time, the beat is Y long and there are X beats in a bar. As noted, there are typical accent patterns that you'll see used often in certain signatures, but you could have 6/8 with accents on the 1, 5, and 6 if you wanted. All time signature is is a way of conceptualizing rhythm so that it can be read and understood more easily. You could notate any piece of music in literally any signature, it would just be extremely confusing to read in most signatures. You could notate a piece of simple 4/4 music with bars of 13/16 and it would be the exact same piece of music, it would just be way harder to notate and read that way.

i was talking about pulses but trying to keep it simple for him rather than confusing him with something like

I don't know anything about music theory and don't know where to start

Attached: 1.png (255x198, 6K)

I'm pretty sure there's no definite difference between 2/2 and 4/4. There are musicians who insist one exists but if you take something in 4/4 and change the quarter notes to eighth notes if's the same. cut time is often used as an indicator of a faster tempo, but this varies by era and composer and genre and instrument. time signatures are much sloppier than a lot of people would like to admit.

2/2 would be twice as fast as 4/4

time signature has everything to do with how beats are accented, at least historically. this is metrical accent. in particular, the barline indicates the downbeat, which is stressed. at least classically.

It's actually why 2/2 is used, it's easier to read.
It's just how it works. 9/8 is 3/4 felt in triplets, kinda like how 6/8 is 2/4 felt in triplets, and 2/4 is close to 4/4 but both accented beats have strong accents.

>both accented beats have strong accents
incorrect, they are unequal. think about it, in 6/8 1 is stronger than 4

Now that's fucking science.

>mfw never learned any theory or notation in 20 years of playing and can intuitively feel the relationships between the notes

Attached: b7ee-0fbe-4ba9-acdc-b137f84a467e.jpg (300x300, 38K)

You basically know theory, you just don't know how to verbalise it.

that's basically like speaking english but not being able to read or write

don't be jealous of my IQ, maybe someday they will invent a brain transplant

It's easier to add all this complicated shit in songs due to how theory can work in a manner similar to filling out an equation of a sort. Meanwhile it's much harder to write a good melody or a truly memorable bit of songwriting.

Pls respond

Yeah, that is right, but in 2/4 the accent's only on the first one.

Congrats I learned that in 6th grade

That's a book about how to play really hard bassoon music.

Wait untill you realize that literally all music timing is a trap and that it's all just writing music.

Attached: 1547935350906.jpg (248x244, 15K)

I can't tell for sure, but alternating bars of 5 and 4 would make sense. (That's probably how it would be notated, rather than as bars of 9).

exactly, that's why it's incorrect to in 2/4
>both accented beats have strong accents
unless you mean if you split 4/4 into 2/4 then the old 1 and 3 are equivalent. In which case we're on the same page.
What do you think about changing 4/4 into 2/4 by halving note values? so quarter note becomes eighth etc. apart from implied tempo I think the beat structure is the same, right?

Thanks
Also here's another one I'm curious about
youtube.com/watch?v=twuzeiM_mL0
The drumming sounds mostly like 6/8 with one measure of 7/8 followed by one 5/8 measure sometimes, is this actually the case or is this just syncopation?

Also, why would it be notated as one bar of 4/4 and one bar of 5/4? Wouldn't just writing 9/4 be quicker?

bump