This shit is overrated as hell, it's aged poorly and definitively sounds like it was released in the 1980s...

This shit is overrated as hell, it's aged poorly and definitively sounds like it was released in the 1980s, along with the stereotypical 80s corniness that plagues so much popular 1980s music.

It just sounds like a shittier version of Script of The Bridge by The Chameleons.

Attached: 51vS9NWeMWL._SX355_.jpg (355x354, 21K)

don’t say that, bono’s interns might hear you

>sounds like it was released in the 1980s
this isn't necessarily a bad thing

the joshua tree is the true patrician’s choice anyway

>This shit is overrated as hell
by who?

A 1980s album that sounds like it could have been released today is going to hold a lot more respect in my mind than an album that absolutely sounds like corny pop rock made in the 1980s.

It's on Rolling Stone's top 500 albums list, IIRC, it's ranked in the top 10 best 1980s albums by metacritic or rym, I forget which.

but I like my 80's music with 80's sound

it (at least this album and most pop rock in the 1980s) sounds dated and corny as hell, shit taste

It’s called post-punk. It was a popular genre in the 80s.

script of the bridge is 80s as fuck lmao

>it just sounds like a worse version of a less-popular band from the same era
ice cold take there, user

>corny is bad
cringe

Then tell me why albums like Unknown Pleasures/Closer, The Queen Is Dead, The Idiot, Dark Entries, and PC&L all sound like they could have been released today, while this sounds 100% 1980s and not ahead of its time at all. Saying "hurr durr durr its called post punk" to defend an album that sounds dated as hell is retarded.

Sure it sounds 80s, but in a way that it still holds up today. Not in a corny generic boring fashion like Boy.

I bet you're a big fan of Drake.

>Then tell me why albums like Unknown Pleasures/Closer, The Queen Is Dead, The Idiot, Dark Entries, and PC&L all sound like they could have been released today
They don't.

>I bet you're a big fan of Drake.
?

You say that like every band didn't try to copy Unknown Pleasures during the post punk revival movement and there's still bands trying to copy it today. I would say all of the albums, except maybe PC&L sound like they could have been released today.

Drake is corny as hell, you think corniness isn't a bad thing, so I assume you're a big fan of Drake.

dae think u2 bad

The Chameleons hadn't even formed when this album came out you nonce, much less the fact that Script of the Bridge was years later.

artists lou reed's metal machine music

>This shit is overrated as hell, it's aged poorly and definitively sounds like it was released in the 1980s, along with the stereotypical 80s corniness that plagues so much popular 1980s music.

It literally came out in like 1980 has more in line sonically with late 70s new wave/post-punk music, the obvious influences being Joy Division's Unknown Pleasures, Siouxshie's "Hong Kong Garden", early PiL, Television, maybe a bit of London Calling-era Clash. Don't hear much at all of the stereotypical 80s pop music sound of ridiculously synthetic gated reverb, drum machines/samplers/Trevor Horn style influences, heavy synth use, obligatory hard rock guitar solos, 4x4 kicks, sappy power ballads, guest rap verses, etc. (which didn't really become dominant into more of the mid 80s).

>Modern bands aping an old band means the old band sounds modern

Not to mention plenty of modern bands have been influenced by if not downright indebted to U2's sound

Pre-1996 U2 are an objectively good band. Your feeble opinions are meaningless.

post punk era U2 doesn't come close to those bands. switching to arena pop rock was the smartest thing they did.

Oh not at all. But those were where there influences lay. OP was pretty off base.

Also War is a good album desu.