Hey Yea Forums

hey Yea Forums.
what headphones do you use for regular music listening?
i've been using akg240 just plugged straight to my computer for over half a decade and been happy with it, but they're starting to break down on me.
I'm thinking replacement parts, new pair or just something different but not sure on what that'd be. also, redpill me on dacs and amps and whatever? should I get one while i'm shopping anwyay?

Attached: K240S-large.jpg (534x750, 46K)

sennheiser4lyfe

Attached: hd448-3.jpg (800x800, 57K)

get ath-m50xs, dont listen to gayfags saying m40xs, why would you want such a boring ass sound listening to music

If you're happy there's no reason to change.

I have these they are a good price 100$, they are fairly good for price but the sound quality could be a bit better and they don’t noise cancel. Great for price though.

Attached: 0095E48F-E2E8-4220-8330-622F320E3232.jpg (412x679, 39K)

i've heard alot about those but they just doesn't look right. are they sturdy, and most importantly comfortable for 10+ hours?
no detatchable cable tho, yikes

You can find service manuals for those, if it's not the cable usually one of the wires will have broken off its contact in the left earpiece. It's an AKG design flaw.

yeah I wish they did have one. but they sound godly, so why should I complain?

I use a pair of mrspeaker aeon flow open through a prebox s2 digital dac and a lake people G100 amp
Honestly I'm not sure what you're looking for, but if you're on a budget Schiit makes REALLY good amps and dacs
For headphones, if you're american, get a pair of 6xx or 58x, pretty cheap and supposedly they sound really good (as a yuropoor I only had the chance to hear a pair of HD600, great headphones)
I suggest you to take a DAC and switch to flacs and get your ears used to it, then, if you are liking the newfound experience, invest in an amp and headphones
If you're rich just buy all

Attached: me.jpg (640x640, 96K)

consider the stench

it's the cable 100% but the pads are also in poor shape, and one of the back covers got a crack and fell off sometime last year. can't find a replacement for the back cover, and even if i did i'm not sure how i'd get it in place.
new cable, 2 pads and inner foam costs almost the same as a new pair so that's why i'm considering paying an extra 10 eurodoodlidoos for a new pair compared to replacement parts which wouldn't even cover the whole headphone

>boring sound
It's called a flatter response and it provides a more accurate recreation of the music. Your music is boring, not the headphones

what makes some headphones better for some music? i like to think what i listen to isn't boring, but i have no idea.

Fair enough. I'd check out the K182 or other similar designs -- I think audiotechnica has something like that? and see if you find them more comfortable. Also you could look at the K271 and see if the sound and isolation difference is significant to you.
>cracked
You can use a two-part epoxy or sugru for something like that in a pinch, just saying
>dacs and amps
not in my experience for headphones with this kind of impedance. but maybe I have tin ears :-/
mostly bass and midrange. some people like boosted bass because you can't feel it in the same way as speakers (through the floor). some people like to use headphones as equalizers to boost certain frequencies. audio stores love these people because they buy lots of shit they don't need.

>You can use a two-part epoxy or sugru for something like that in a pinch, just saying
should've though of that before i forgot what i did with the cover.. either it's in my room somewhere or long gone in the bin. thanks tho! i'll have a look around on the models you suggest

bass-boosted + closed back = a tighter, punchier sound, good for bass and rhythm-heavy music. bass boosters have more low-end "chest thump", but sound like shit in tracks without traditional percs/bass/harmony/melody instrumentation.
flat response + open back = airy, spacious sound, good for classical and ambient. very clean and non-imposing, allows you to really zone into atmospheric music.

I still prefer using flat + open for everything tho. it's most likely the stuff I listen to was mixed on studio open-backs so it's a closer representation of the artist's real vision

beyerdynamic dt 880 but u will need a amp

cable tho. way too expensive and fragile since the cable is often the first thing that breaks

based and cablepilled

id say buy whatever the next logical step in quality from k240s are, i own a pair and for the price theyre fantastic desu, use them in audio engineering and synthesis classes without a hitch. imo i hate using other peoples audio technicas, they fit like on-ear beats, not to mention theyre not as comfy and the auto-adjusting headband for the k240s

Attached: 1548442235346.jpg (1140x798, 140K)

K240 is pretty much the crowned king of comfy semi-open back headphones honestly. If you want to stick to semi-open, honestly, just buy another pair. There are more expensive options in a similar vein like the K701/K702, but seriously, K240 is the greatest bang-for-your-buck on the fucking planet.

what would you say the next logical step is, akg k240 mk2?
yeah i'm strongly considering either going cheap and just buy a new cable, or a whole new pair since i already know i like them

>what would you say the next logical step is
That depends on your intended application. If you only listen to these at home, you've got more options
It's pretty hard to find something significantly better without paying 2-3x the price

>intended application
sound for various media in the comfort of my own home. music, netflix, games etc. pretty basic i guess.
i don't have any speakers so i use headphones all the time, so comfort is a big factor. these ones can last me a long time before getting too uncomfortable, most of the time they dont bother me

>mk2
i guess so, its up to your budget and what youd like to accomplish. im young and broke so k240s are a godsend especially how verstaile they are for rough mixing/music listening/gaming whatever

these, I'm happy

Attached: download.jpg (225x225, 8K)

Implying headphones are used for music listening.
Jk I use Phillips SHP9500S

chink $10 earbuds that break after 6 months

earbuds are big yikes. uncomfy, always breaks after 6 months or less no matter the price or brand

then I'd look at the AKG 612, open back headphones will be a big change for you. unfortunately they charge $100 more for a detachable cable (k702)

I have the Sony MDR-7502. Pretty god-tier if you ask me.

HD600. tried and true

>MDR-7502

Why not 7506?

I actually have the 7506, just a typo.

head-fi.org is a good resource although they are gearheads. you can search for detachable cables, or you can ask for recommendations, that'll help narrow things down.
meant for you too

Attached: marshall-monitor-black-_1_DJE0005620-000.jpg (1600x1600, 143K)

>Using anything but Sennheiser

Yikes

Attached: 1465257496197.jpg (500x322, 16K)

would you say the k702 requires a dac? im a bit skeptical just using my sound card when the price is that high

mostly dacs are a meme unless your soundcard is complete garbage or you have power noise issues
$300 is indeed pricey for headphones, that's why I suggested that forum

>300usd
huh they cost half that when converted to my regional currency, weird considering my country is usually very expensive.

What's Yea Forums take on Superlux HD681?

oh, well AKG is a an austrian company so your local prices might be lower. they are great headphones if they are affordable, and at the rated impedance they should behave pretty much like your current headphones wrt amplification

i have a pair of 7506 too. i love them.

t. deaf persons

>he doesn't read all of his music instead of hearing it

wtf does "drive" mean and how do i know if mine are "driven" properly without being an audiophile?

Negro, I even listen to half my books. Sensory experiences > symbolic experiences

mdr-7506 has a nasty reputation of mess w people's ears. Aggro cans, they say.

that's funny because i never had any hearing problems whiles using these things daily. could it just be from people that blast their music really loudly? i don't keep the volume on my computer very high.

how can i tell if i need an amp or not?

If you can't tell, you don't need an amp. Mostly you only need one for high-impedance headphones (>100 ohms). In my experience 95% of audio marketing is snake oil for rich guys. Look up NwAvGuy.

I have MDR-v6, I'd be happy to sell them if there were something reasonably priced for me to use that's better. I don't have any particular complaints but I'm sure there's something better. Can anyone recommend something reasonably priced with a flat-ish response?

Attached: aJ5xjuR.jpg (2720x1680, 533K)

AKG 52's here, out of a Yamaha receiver and through a chi-fi tube amp. Couldn't stand the way the 240's fit, and I know headphones don't last forever.

thats nice to hear, sometimes i just think im dumb for not knowing stuff

yeah it is really remarkable how difficult it is to find honest information that you don't need to be an electrical engineer to understand

>it’s another “Yea Forums brainlessly worships trashy mid-fi shitphones” thread

ok user ill buy stax and install gentoo thanks

No problem

user what am i looking at here?

The fuck...?
Feels like a spiritual successor to Grubtroopers. Glorious! Saved.

Attached: Grubtroopers.jpg (1680x1050, 258K)

DT 770 pro with a portable amp. Had em almost a year now and pretty satisfied. Closed cans, deep sound and bass. All I care about at the moment.