Psychedelic drone ii

rbt.asia/mu/thread/86175421/
original thread died but if you're looking for artist + label recs i put a bunch of shit in the original (in no particular order)
no one did this in the original thread but if you know stuff like this that's coming out now or would like to share your own stuff we can do that here. actual discussion of the artists mentioned in the original thread (or stuff we overlooked) is also encouraged.

Attached: cover.jpg (427x412, 30K)

Other urls found in this thread:

hostb.org/6X4
midnightstarmedia.bandcamp.com/music
boardinghousechicago.bandcamp.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=AW6TS54Kf9M
rbt.asia/mu/thread/71849535
youtube.com/watch?gl=SN&hl=fr&v=mEu4qUudAjM
youtu.be/iBA6wVnTEjI
discogs.com/Hunting-Rituals-Hunting-Rituals/release/2129992
mcraigculbertson.bandcamp.com/album/trisomic-safari
bleakbliss.blogspot.com/2019/01/various-tone-of-universe-tone-of-earth.html
weedtemple.blogspot.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=fO2IFX32wBU
discogs.com/fr/Brad-E-Rose-Future-Lives/release/7735392
rbt.asia/mu/thread/41391325/#41391985
youtube.com/watch?v=MINGmUPg_h4
youtube.com/watch?v=B3iSMzOA07w&t=1s
youtube.com/watch?v=0pq75S0kfuo
youtube.com/watch?v=ycRBk-N3n7E
discogs.com/artist/382014-Sam-E-Dangerr
youtu.be/5zH1mkH1oLg
youtu.be/tKDzTcOROFI
youtube.com/watch?v=ktDzxRYN3xY
youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
youtube.com/watch?v=mRIWmvvHQAw
youtube.com/watch?v=PA5gwVDYQZU
youtu.be/UYwljDNBgeY
youtu.be/c-FX46fLcqw
dlc.fi/~hhaahti/267lattajjaa/releases.html
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLhrjxOP7Q
twitter.com/AnonBabble

currently converting my most recent (unreleased) record to mp3, i think this is gonna be the last thing like this i do for a while, i wanna start playing live and selling this thing on cd-r. does anyone want a link?

Attached: cover.jpg (358x346, 106K)

well you didn't ask for it but you're getting it anyways
>don't say nobody makes this kind of thing anymore
>mp3 320
hostb.org/6X4

Attached: deckard falls in love with a replicant.png (1400x1400, 608K)

midnightstarmedia.bandcamp.com/music
boardinghousechicago.bandcamp.com/
josh burke has been putting stuff on bandcamp but i'm not huge on most of the boardinghouse project

Attached: 0006889437_10.jpg (600x595, 92K)

youtube.com/watch?v=AW6TS54Kf9M
user posted this in the first thread before it died. not usually what i think of for this kind of thing but i'm giving it a chance, i like the swimmy guitar sound
i don't think he was mentioned in the earlier thread but certain jim o'rourke projects also seem to shade into this territory?

Attached: R-956235-1186923197.jpeg.jpg (498x493, 83K)

Just checked the old thread, this stuff was my bread and butter back then. Some more recs :
>Sean McCann
>Emaciator
>Tardigrades
>Enfer Boréal
>High Wolf
>Peaking Lights
>Gala Drop
>Xiphiidae
>Death By Horsecock
>Super Minerals
>Charlatan
>Skyramps
>Mist
>Dolphins Into The Future
>Sundrips
>Quiet Evenings

Some of those are still floating around bandcamp

>Death By Horsecock
WHAT A NAME
i'm not sure how i failed to mention sean mccann in the earlier thread, my bad

they look just like caboladies

Attached: A-1499590-1542116209-2639.jpeg.jpg (600x907, 136K)

>this stuff was my bread and butter back then
rbt.asia/mu/thread/71849535
>It's cool seeing people from the original ~2007-2011 scene are still alive, seems like most of the ones I knew back then snuffed themselves on opiates and duster.
damn though is this true : (
i'm turning 21 this year so it's really odd having become familiar with this stuff only through bullshit journalistic conceits ie "chillwave" "hypnagogic pop" "vaporwave" "lo fi indie" and never getting to really be Part Of A Scene

Basically all these bands looked like this.

Attached: emeralds-band.jpg (592x393, 72K)

>rbt.asia/mu/thread/71849535
I'm probably gonna binge of bunch of these old forgotten bands. Damn those were exciting times.

it is kind of charming, though. like anyone can do this if they want to and most people won't want to and that's okay.

Attached: 300_astronaut.jpg (300x222, 32K)

what was sky limousine like live/as a person, by the looks of the boardinghouse stuff he seems to have had some kind of breakdown/mental split
was the fizzling out of this thing tied to socioeconomic/political changes, do you think? i know chris ott has suggested as much, "when obama was in everyone was just doing their thing"
(but i'm not sure how u feel about chris ott)

also how/why did this stuff morph into vaporwave? was it a thing for people to use stuff like memory vague as live backdrops, or something?

>what was sky limousine like live
youtube.com/watch?gl=SN&hl=fr&v=mEu4qUudAjM
So, just like any other bloke in the scene. Really, at some point all I remember from this era is dudes and girls kneeling down in front of their gear.
I don't know why it all just died out but it was good fun. I think it was just the fact that people suddenly realized they could start their project/label with next to no money and just give it a shot.

do you ever think it will be possible to sort what's worth keeping of this stuff? who gets to decide and by what criteria? this kind of thing is so easy to make *and make it sound good* so why did marble surf and rifts become memes and something like 'a place to live in dreams' or 'imagination' become almost forgotten?

good music board.

Attached: folder.jpg (178x285, 29K)

What's worth keeping is up to you. I still have tapes from 10 years ago that no one would give a shit about and I still love and listen to them. Maybe it's just a nostalgic thing but whatever.

Parson Sound
International Harvestor
Salamander
Hash Jar Temple
Roy Montgomery
Sun burned hand of God
Dadamah
Avarus
What else would I like?

Attached: 1551201101761.gif (328x338, 2.24M)

Oh and this thing
youtu.be/iBA6wVnTEjI

Attached: R-1057471-1188736775.jpeg.jpg (600x532, 111K)

look all i've been saying is it's really fucked up that this thing is 20 years old and vaporwave is 10 years old, time went fast and we should come up w another signals game to play
or maybe it's time to stop playing signals games

Kemialliset Ystävät
Kuupuu
Fursaxa
Keijo

also ty for these recs, i'd heard of hash jar, sunburned and tarentel but never really dove into em
parson sound is crazy what
why did i overlook this when i first saw this

Whoa, these recs are keen. Thank you!
Maybe you guys would like this tape
discogs.com/Hunting-Rituals-Hunting-Rituals/release/2129992
Listen to it inna woods at night along with Ghetto Beats.

Attached: R-1882326-1249905289.jpeg.jpg (400x406, 44K)

mcraigculbertson.bandcamp.com/album/trisomic-safari

A great compilation from the mid-2000 era :
bleakbliss.blogspot.com/2019/01/various-tone-of-universe-tone-of-earth.html

Attached: R-1000369-1182592668.jpg (369x383, 32K)

Are you the seller ?

Just got reminded of Silvester Anfang (and their second iteration Silvester Anfang II) from Belgium. Great freak folk tinted psych drone with pagan overtones.

Attached: R-773007-1303316285.jpeg.jpg (500x500, 72K)

glad to see this didn't die yet! is that bandcamp link somebody in here?

Well it's rather shitty so probably

wow these are all great! thanks for the recs user.

you're right
this bleak bliss blog is great though

I'm amazed it's still going to be honest. This now reminds me of Weedtemple which posted tons of cool stuff on a nearly daily basis. Unfortunately no longer active.
weedtemple.blogspot.com/

oh man i remember weed temple : (

>Emaciator
One of my favorite Jon Borges' projects for sure. Coveting is such a great album.
>Charlatan
Whatever happened to Brad? Digitalis stopped operating since 2014-2015. This dude made some great stuff around those years and then disappeared.

Also, I've been listening to lots of Robedoor lately.
youtube.com/watch?v=fO2IFX32wBU

Emaciator was vastly underrated I think.
Brad Rose apparently released a record in 2015
discogs.com/fr/Brad-E-Rose-Future-Lives/release/7735392
I need to check this out. I was an avid reader of Foxy Digitalis.

No. I found out about Hunting Rituals by a tripfriend who was really into this mid 2000's psychedelia you guys seem to enjoy.
rbt.asia/mu/thread/41391325/#41391985

tfw all their share links are broken

>Future Lives
Forgot about that one, definitely going to check it out.
Also checked the old thread and there's lots of stuff that I need to revisit. Psych drone/ambient from the mid to late 00s has a strange "charming" feel that I can't describe, it was huge for me. I hope a revival happens in the next years, same with hypnagogic pop.
Going to drop more recs if anyone is interested:
>Explorers
youtube.com/watch?v=MINGmUPg_h4
>Pulsating in the Eye and Vision
youtube.com/watch?v=B3iSMzOA07w&t=1s
>Marble Sky
youtube.com/watch?v=0pq75S0kfuo
>Swanox
youtube.com/watch?v=ycRBk-N3n7E

do u think the hostb link i posted is worth anything
like would u see something like this live and buy a cheap handmade cd-r of it

really kind of sad to find dylan ettinger has gone in the Greyscale Dark Ambient Industrial Power Electronics Dub Techno direction. that shit feels so lifeless in comparison with this, fuck all the detraction of how easy it is to make, that vein of things isn't any more difficult to do and it just feels ugly and pervasive

yeah i feel you man. i guess everyone shifted from psych drone to other forms of dancefloor electronic music during 2013 and 2015. now those artists make either vaporwave, industrial techno, lo-fi/outsider house and similar shit. i like those sounds but most of them as you said sound lifeless.

just what was it about vaporwave? i know there's continuity between the two and vaguely remember reading somewhere that new dreams ltd. was meant as a satire of how this kind of music is presented and hyped?

I checked their bandcamp, they're pretty based. The 2008-2011 era is typical droney ambient stuff.

Any more resources for droney psych rock? Blogspots, labels, yt channels, whatever.

Attached: R-1278912-1255732067.jpeg.jpg (483x483, 70K)

wish this end of things was more my ballywick so i could help u, i'm really really *really* a sucker for the "colorful collages and looping arpeggiators" style

This. It feels like a lot of people involved in psych drone initially barely knew how to play their instruments ans ended up switching styles once they figured their stuff out.

our generations' punk is prog that became exponentially less expensive to make than the original prog, therefore the pretentious thing to do was not synthesizer-effects noodling but still playing fucking rock music

Discogs says that Sam (Explorers) has passed last july. Damn. discogs.com/artist/382014-Sam-E-Dangerr

i saw that when it happened, really bummed me out

youtu.be/5zH1mkH1oLg
youtu.be/tKDzTcOROFI

Attached: 1525941608045.jpg (1406x1716, 1.26M)

yeeeahhh conrad schnitzler
youtube.com/watch?v=ktDzxRYN3xY

BRING DRONE BACK

this thread may be the same 5 people (tops) but it's the only good one on Yea Forums right now

Attached: cover.jpg (244x215, 7K)

chris, baby, if ur reading this u should do a followup on these three videos
youtube.com/watch?v=KGE7q0oDlEI
youtube.com/watch?v=mRIWmvvHQAw
youtube.com/watch?v=PA5gwVDYQZU
lots changed since 2012 (or maybe nothing has?)

Attached: hiding.png (891x500, 681K)

youtu.be/UYwljDNBgeY

Attached: 1549738905944.jpg (456x640, 76K)

this tape fucks

bump

youtu.be/c-FX46fLcqw

Attached: R-1737944-1326737047.jpeg.jpg (600x600, 227K)

wanna give a huge shout out to soulseek users kustota, borxesremote, eventcloak [makes killer tunes too], nghtmretv and filthatmand rn for uploading tons of the 2000's stuff, i see you and you're helping

An interesting micro label from Finland. Mostly experimental, psychedelic drone, ambient and electronic stuff
dlc.fi/~hhaahti/267lattajjaa/releases.html

Def worth it.
His death really hit me so much, no joke. He was very talented. The way he used to craft those sounds is still intriguing to me. One of my favorite projects will always be Matrix Metals. This tape is going to be 10 years old in a few months.
m.youtube.com/watch?v=PCLhrjxOP7Q

RIP. Sad I only got into this guy after he paased tho. :(

Anyone have this in higher quality than 192?

Attached: R-2291669-1274827997.jpeg.jpg (179x300, 8K)

sun city girls is the greatest band of all time

there's one on soulseek which has all the tracks splitted and kinda has better quality. wingdings 1 and 2 should get a remaster to be put on bandcamp, but idk if the mastertapes still exist :( someone should ask zak mering about it

the commitment a certain subset of this psych drone thing had to recreating 80s soundtrack vibes with their own instruments, or otherwise just digging very deeply and being very creative w manipulation re:sampling (and often, if doing that, augmenting it w their own playing), is still very very very inspiring. it sucks that it got memed to death by Hypnagogic Pop, Chillwave and Vaporwave but i'm wondering if there's not another aesthetic zone for us to play these kinds of games with?

it made sense also that it ended up developing in this direction because skaters in an early interview said their music was influenced by the 'after-image' of 80s media culture though not directly referencing it, the way putting something to cassette flattens the sound and gives it the illusion of being some kind of Documentation, more 'real' than the high definition

so i guess the question is if this aspect extends all the way back to like, double leopards or the other early adopters of this general style in the mid-late 90s
what media culture has left an after-image for people in their teens and 20s now? what does that media culture in turn say at a deeper level about the material circumstances it emerged from?

Attached: AlbumArt_{B7CA4E08-5DC5-0040-B353-A800AC73FEC9}_Small.png (500x500, 380K)