Blackstar

What does Yea Forums think of this?
IMO it's a lot like what happened with Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. It was good, but since the guy died everyone pretends it was the best thing ever and they've always been a fucking superfan or something. It makes it difficult to discuss the album itself.

Attached: blackstar.jpg (1500x1500, 54K)

It's one of his best albums and Heath Ledger deserves his oscar

I still find it hard to believe that David Bowie was inspired by Death Grips

>since the guy died
you're implying bowie is dead?

It's a great album, but it's much different than Bowie's pop hits.

>he didn't hear it the couple days before his death

Nigger, the fuck are you talking about. Yea Forums sucked this album's dick for 48 hours straight then Bowie died and suddenly it doesn't count. It's literally his best since Station To Station, and StS is his best, period. So, you know, it's good shit. The only thing his death has done for this album is helping it win some mainstream awards.

He got shot mid-air shortly before Gargantua II exploded

Where did I say that?

>It was good, but since the guy died everyone pretends it was the best thing ever and they've always been a fucking superfan or something
This album leaked over a week before release, and everyone was raving about it saying it was one of his best. Nothing about his death makes it difficult to discuss the album. Great job outing yourself as a newfag, though.

It's a stellar album and a return to form for him inasmuch as he was pushing into a new musical arena for him. You're probably right that his death acted as a prism which magnified the reception, but that's always been the way in pop culture (see James Dean) This was made more impressive by the fact that he deliberately made it so, going so far as to release a video of his Major Tom character's corpse falling to an alien world and being worshipped as a god.

All I hear is your stupid opinions being spouted as if they're facts. Hunky Dory is his best record. Fact.

Oh, fuck off, that implies he died late 2017, maybe early 2018 even. Everybody and their mom knows I am not actually David Bowie, so shut the fuck up, you OSI nigger.

>StS better than Low
nigga

>Yea Forums sucking off blackstar prior to and immediately after its release suddenly isn't a fact because I prefer a different bowie album
Wew, laddy.

The album is magnificent and the release and his death were legitimately scary/spooky/life changing. It feels like it happened days ago.

What? I didn't even say Low was bad, I just prefer StS and Blackstar is basically StS Part 2: I'm Dying Boogaloo.

>I'm Dying Toogaloo
Fixed.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH
Hearty fucking kek, thank you.

Attached: Coypel_Democritus.jpg (755x987, 91K)

>if Yea Forums likes it it's the best
Huh?

HOW MANY TIMES CAN AN ANGEL FALL?

Attached: IMG_3229.jpg (568x523, 37K)

>people only like it because bowie died
>no, people liked it before bowie died
>uuuh so what people liking it doesn't make it good
How much are you going to move those goalposts, you nigger? Bowie's death, beyond being the coolest no-fucks-given way to promote your late-career album, is irrelevant to the music itself. The album was poignant and cool as fuck before Bowie died, and it stayed the same after his death. People were amazed that the new "his best since Scary Monsters" was actually among his fucking best, no jokes. I don't know why you created this thread if you don't seem to understand that most people on Yea Forums whether they are fans of Bowie or hate him have listened to his shit way before Blackstar. He's literally Yea Forumscore. All the appreciation and hate for Blackstar were about as genuine as it gets on this board. So, no, people don't just like it because of his death. And people didn't only become his fans after his death. This shit is really fucking stupid.

>move those goalposts
Stopped reading right there. You don't know what that means and you're putting words into my mouth. Try again later, bozo.

I’m just confrontationally disagreeing with your preferences. StS and Blackstar are good, but not as good as Low

What the fuck do you want to discuss, you retard?
Again, you started with an assumption people only liked it because Bowie died. Which is easily proven wrong if you just look back at the reception of the album before his death. But when it turned out your dumb ass is wrong it all suddenly became about the quality of the album itself, which is a completely different matter. You fucking mong.

>Again, you started with an assumption people only liked it because Bowie died.
Where did I say that? Let's start there. Point it out.

>IMO it's a lot like what happened with Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. It was good, but since the guy died everyone pretends it was the best thing ever and they've always been a fucking superfan or something.

Funny, because that doesn't look like one of my posts. Any of them. Looks to be straight from the OP! Wow, you making shit up and misdirecting? Imagine that!
Fuck off.

>answers to a post directed towards op
>oh it wasn't me
OK, why should I even care about you then, you fucking retard?

I'm not even the only one that replied to your first post ITT, you fucking idiot. This is an imageboard. An open forum of discussion. Not some fucking private messaging bullshit discord faggotry like you may be used to.

So, you just came into a discussion to post something that has no relation to it? Cool shit, user, you're really helpful to resolving the issue at hand.
Is 86170861 your post, you absolute nigger? If so, you are about the lowest iq poster on this board right now.

How does what I said have nothing to do with the discussion? We're talking about Blackstar and its reception and I'm saying it's not Bowie's best album. Fuck yourself.

Was I saying it's his best, you absolute mong? We were talking about its reception before Bowie's death, which you don't seem to understand. It already was very positively recieved before old Davey kicked it. As for where it ranks in his discog, that's an entirely another debate and comes down to preference, for me it's his second best after StS.

>We were talking about its reception before Bowie's death
Wrong.

>It was good, but since the guy died everyone pretends it was the best thing ever and they've always been a fucking superfan or something. It makes it difficult to discuss the album itself.
people have been praising the album itself as one of bowie's death before he died faggot. There were threads on the album on Yea Forums praising it. When he died the praise amplified but usually after some time people start to criticize works, this isnt the case with blackstar it still holds up and is one of the best albums of the decade

>When he died the praise amplified but usually after some time people start to criticize works, this isnt the case with blackstar
Which is a very similar case to Heath Ledger's performance in The Dark Knight. If you even imply that Heath may not have deserves his Oscar for that role people get really butthurt. Reading this thread shows the case is very similar for criticism of Blackstar.

Read the thread, nigger. Or are you illiterate?

>durrrr read the thread lol
I accept your concession.

i wish i could show you but rebeccablack archive currently isnt working

You didn't criticize shit though. Your only implication is "people like it more because he died", but that's quite literally unprovable either way. State your actual problems with the record if you want to talk criticism. Also, Ledger winning an Oscar=Blackstar winning a Grammy, not people liking Blackstar. The album probably wouldn't win without Bowie's death, but that's got nothing to do with public reception.

I don't have any problems with the record. I just don't think it's his best, let alone some amazing masterpiece.

>I just don't think it's his best, let alone some amazing masterpiece.
i think its his best since low what reasoning do you have for it not being a masterpiece

I don't enjoy it as much as some of his earlier material. It's not particularly innovative or anything. Has kind of a generic sound at times, in my opinion. Not a bad record though, by any means. My main point was it's overrated and you already agreed.

I think it is a masterpiece and his best since StS, which I've stated numerous times. So do many other people, on and off this board. This is a difference in opinion we'll all have to live with.
>kind of a generic sound at times
Ten albums with this sound please.

Why are you asspained about me not liking this album as much as Hunky Dory?
Anyway, I couldn't give you 10 records that sound like Blackstar because that's not what I meant. I said it sounds generic AT TIMES, as in DURING a song it'll have some generic sound, but the song as a whole isn't generic. The album is not generic. That's not what I meant at all.
I said earlier that I prefer Hunky Dory and that's true. This is just a matter of opinion. Again, the album isn't bad. It's good, like I said in the OP. It's just not his best IMO.

I'm not asspained. And I would genuinely love some albums with that sound because IMO it sounded fresh in 2016 and sounds fresh now. I can understand the idea of some parts of it sounding generic though. To me what really makes that album besides Bowie is the fucking drumming. It's absolutely godly throughout. Hunky Dory is my third favorite and it's still absolutely amazing, I just can't enjoy Eight Line Poem anymore for some reason. I dunno, this thread went stupid as fuck in general.

It's a bait thread. I love Blackstar. I'm sorry Bowie

>My main point was it's overrated and you already agreed.
never said it was overrated you missed my point by what i meant, by "praised was amplified" i meant that more attention was brought to it, not that it diminished its worth. Thats why i mentioned most albums over time that were highly acclaimed at first which were inflated scores usually even out over time, which "isnt the case for blackstar" which ties in why i brought up people liking it before he died, after he died, and years after he died.

Also "generic sound at times' i cant even name 2 albums that sound like blackstar, its fairly unique. you can say whatever you want but that doesn't mean its valid. Also an album doesn't have to innovative to be great. you personally not enjoying this album as much as his earlier works doesn't mean its overrated

Your point that his death inflates the score is dubious and wrong, people GENUINELY enjoy the album for what it is, david bowie's death adds a new layer of enjoyment to it as well since his death is tied in with the creation of the album, sort of a swan song of a dying man, his final hurrah and message before leaving us.

Don't worry dude, Bowie's shitposting in one of his dedicated d&b threads right now. He forgives us all.

This album was given very high scores before he died. His death actually made the album better since a few of the tracks and lyrics turned out to have a different meaning than we all thought.

I honestly didn't look into the lyrics that much before his death, but even after the first listen I thought it was a kind of rebirth story. A lot of alchemic symbolism in most of those songs, and Bowie was no fucking slacker in terms of the occult. It feels like even without him dying people would have kind of understood it in a month or so. The "Blackstar is about ISIS" take was always fucking retarded, can't believe people actually fell for that.

We did. You’re weird.

What does Yea Forums think of Heathen then? Considering both albums share in common that they contain music originally for theatre

I like it, but I haven't listened to it for a long time.

Same, Afraid and Better Future are mainstays on my Bowie playlist though

I never heard the ISIS theory. Pitchfork thought it was about the death and rebirth of his many personas throughout the years

>Just like that bluebird
>Oh, I'll be free
>Ain't that just like me?
What about you, Yea Forums? Are you freeing yourself from whatever plight you find yourself in

Attached: bluebird.jpg (2121x1414, 1.1M)

Fantastic
Bowie's darker stuff is the best
Heathens is also great for this reason

>This way or no way
>You know, I'll be free
Yeah, it was just like him. I've let go of a horrible relationship last year and found a job I really like at the start of January, feels good to be free to be honest.

scott walker rip off

>born 1967
Doubt

>look up the wrong guy
I'll see myself out.
Still doubt though.

The album becomes better when you insert the No Plan EP in-between Lazarus and Sue. Felt like the album was incomplete and hated how Sue sounded coming right after Lazarus.

The album leaked on 30th December 2015 and Yea Forums fucking loved it. Even the diehards who were immensely disappointed with the new versions of Sue and 'Tis a Pity after clinging to the previous recording for the last 18 months loved it. Dollar Days was referred to as "classic Bowie" right off the bat.

Attached: david-bowie-2015-blackstar.jpg (933x445, 33K)