I don't get it

I don't get it

Attached: ys.jpg (770x770, 358K)

Attached: dear-diary-today-op-was-not-a-faggot-stalin-meme.jpg (735x779, 122K)

okay, this is epic

Is Emily the most beautiful song ever written?

Ys is a mediocre album that only genre tourist like

>falling for tourism meme

>things I don't like and apply to me are memes

not even a huge fan of ys. trying to say an album is bad because of tourism is just retarded

no, it's bad for a lot of reasons. it just happens to attract a lot of tourist

tourist of what particular genre?

progressive folk

muh tourists... I like a lot of that mid 00s freak folk stuff, havent found much that's anywhere close to Ys

what reasons are those then without mentioning the people it attracts?

I don't think she sounds a lot like the other artists that get labeled prog folk. Pretty sad how you can only think of music in autistic non descriptive categories.

Joanna Newson is hardly freak folk and Ys is shit so...
mediocre composition, mediocre songwriting, it's overall unintesting, all of her influences have better work than her
I wasn't the guy who you're responding to but that's because she's a watered down and manufactured version of those prog folk artist she's borrowing from

name 2 prog folk artists that you don't think sound dissimilar to joanna newsom

Mediocre composition and songwriting? You have to be joking Ys has some of the best writing ever and the composition is very musically interesting. I am interested to hear who you consider to be her influences though would like to give them a listen if i haven't.

lol only on Yea Forums will you hear someone call joanna newsom uninteresting

Prog folk is such a unuseful term. It's literally "every folk music thats a little more complex" which makes the "genre" a heterogeneous mess of different styles just lumped in together. It's not a cohesive movement and I very much doubt that the artists influenced each other as much as you claim they did. Why don't you show me some of the artist that sound just like her instead?

>mediocre composition, mediocre songwriting, it's overall unintesting
>calling things mediocre to avoid explaining why they're bad

her harp playing is average and the composition/songwriting is mediocre if you're familiar with artist who do what she does but better
and just read Seasons they Change by Jeanette Leech, it's not my job to spoon-feed you the history of musical movements
sorry, have heard better
>le I disagree with u so u aren't rlly answering the question
you want me to write a review or something? lmao
I'm just explaining what I think is bad about her music

Shit voice.

>it's not my job to spoon-feed you the history of musical movements
oh fuck you cunt. you're on a board for music discussion yet you can't be bothered to actually discuss music.

if you can unironically only criticize an artist by throwing around words like "average", "mediocre", "uninteresting" like they mean anything at all you might as well write nothing at all dude

how is me saying her music is mediocre any less valid than literally everybody else in this thread just saying "no it's not!" not like other people are actually going into detail as to why they think her music is good anymore than me
I don't see you calling those people out
see above.

>that voice
Jesus fuck, is that on purpose? It sounds like one of those old Adam Sandler guitar sketches on SNL

Attached: bwaa.jpg (576x423, 25K)

oh sorry lol I read your post wrong in stop whining, go buy the book I don't have time to explain what you can learn in that book

it's not valid because you could literally take ANY artist and swap them out with Joanna in your post. What you're saying is so vague that it's not saying anything at all.

The onus isn't on us to prove to you wrong

is this actually a good album or is it liked by /pol/ because it features blond woman on the cover and is folk

Stop replying to the autismo who says "ys is mediocre and only attracts genre tourists". It's literally the same guy with the same autistic arguments every thread. I'm not even a gigantic joanna fan, but you guys seem very gullible, you give him tons of replies every time.

no I couldn't swap it for any other artist because imo it applies to her music and not every other artist. and I am saying something I'm saying her songwriting is mediocre and her composition is mediocre
I don't care
;)

Oof, try less next time.

>I don't have time to explain what you can learn in that book
>replying to every post in this thread
I am actually going to check out this book, but I'm literally just asking for names lol. You're citing all these people who you claim are so much better than joanna newsom and I am genuinely interested in listening to them. Not asking for a comprehensive history of prog folk literally just names.

Things I like about Ys:
>interesting use of polyrhythms especially in Sawdust & Diamonds
>evocative lyricism about the natural world, reminiscent of descriptions in Walden
>the album is very cohesive there are no dull moments, every note feels very intentional

>mediocre composition, mediocre songwriting, it's overall unintesting, all of her influences have better work than her
I literally could post that as a review to every female musician's album on RYM. The problem isn't even that you don't give any arguments, it's the non descriptive adjectives. You're points would be legit if you could say how or why her music is mediocre because mediocre on it's own says nothing at all.

yeah and the names will all be in that book I don't understand the purpose of me just name-dropping other than so you can go "well I think ____ sucks!"
this information is readily available on the internet and in text but truthfully you should already know the artist that influenced Joanna unless you're just a genre tourist
pick any major prog folk, freak folk, chamber folk artist I don't care I probably think they're all better than Joannas music
>interesting use of polyrhythms especially in Sawdust & Diamonds
polyrhythms don't make music good when they're applied to bad music
>evocative lyricism about the natural world, reminiscent of descriptions in Walden
vague and emotionally detached diatribes isnt exactly what I'd call evocative lyricism
>the album is very cohesive there are no dull moments, every note feels very intentional
except for the part where the entire album is dull
I'm not writing a review for you lol

Just as I suspected, can't actually rebut a single point.

which one were you?

You shut your whore mouth and be respectful toward Joanna

you're either trolling or really fucking retarded, either way I'm not gonna bother arguing anymore

This is the first criticism of substance in this thread. OP take notes.

It's a magical, beautiful album with spellbinding poetic qualities. The whole record just pops with original, evocative imagery. If you let this website ruin your ability to appreciate music then it's your loss, and you're actually just as bad as /pol/

:(
>spellbinding poetic qualities. The whole record just pops with original, evocative imagery
thanks for the laugh. I'll say it again the writing on this album are just vague and emotionally detached diatribes

>Seasons they Change by Jeanette Leech
That book is very simple, you can get just as much out of reading a few wiki pages. She's not a very skilled writer either to be honest.

yeah I'll agree on the writing aspect on it but it's a good read for the retards itt who literally just listen to Joanna's music

>And, Emily, I saw you last night by the river
I dreamed you were skipping little stones across the surface of the water
Frowning at the angle where they were lost, and slipped under forever,
In a mud-cloud, mica-spangled, like the sky'd been breathing on a mirror
>Anyhow, I sat by your side, by the water
You taught me the names of the stars overhead that I wrote down in my ledger
Though all I knew of the rote universe were those pleiades loosed in December
I promised you I'd set them to verse so I'd always remember

Yes vague and detached, I have no idea what's happening in these lines because they're so vague. Also I'm literally retarded.

The lack of self awareness must be intentional, but I shudder at the thought that there might be a real person who thinks this is how to communicate.
Here's the problem with your analysis: Phrases like "good" and "bad" don't mean anything. Same with calling something "dull" or "boring." These terms are only used to see if other people agree with them, but because there's nothing concrete about your emotion, you can't convince anyone that way. You have to discuss something about the mechanics of the music or the artists intent if you actually want to contribute.

I don't see you providing a counter argument to what I've been saying lmao
and thanks for proving my point.

What bits are hard for you to understand in those lines? Do you need me to google the definition of pleiades for you?

I understand that it's a group of vague and emotionally detached diatribes. plenty of other artist do that lyrically style to much more of an effect
so far you're just quoting lyrics, how is this supposed to change my mind?

It's telling a story and showing us pretty pictures user, what more are you looking for from a lyricist

user from your first response. I've been trying to have an actual discussion about music with you this entire thread. At this point I don't think you actually have any examples and you're just being inflammatory. if you provided examples I could either agree with you or argue how joanna offers something new to the genre. If i threw out names then you would just say that that's not someone who you consider influenced her because you're just being contrarian. Actually will check out the book though so if nothing good comes out of this thread thanks for the rec at least lol

You didn't see a counter argument because I'm not trying to counter you. I'm trying to help you make your own point stronger. I hope you can see that

don't bother, this guy is being purposefully vague so nobody can actually argue against him. Everyone in this thread got baited hard as fuck

Could be the case, but then I thought he might be sincere, and I got sad. I know too many people who can't tell the difference between useful information and vague sophistry, and they get scammed all the time.

maybe an emotional effect and a point to the stories would be nice, not just pseud ramblings
I fail to see why you'd assume I'd dismiss people you consider influences of Joanna, especially considering that we'd probably come up with a lot of the same artist
I just don't see why I should have to name drop artist.
and sure, Joanna has brought new things to the table in her world of music. I just think it's a lame attempt at appropriating her influences and turning it into an deformed mutation that sounds like an art student with no respect for the music she is influenced by got assigned to make a Disney movie sound track
I'm perfectly comfortable with my argument you guys are the ones with the problem
You disagree with what I say so you dismiss it as "le that's not a real criticism durrrr"

Aight I can see you're not interested. bye

alright my pizzas here I'll see you guys next time
bye love

well, as far there not being a point to the stories, I suppose I've never thought about it that way, but it's true especially the second half of the album gets pretty rambling and meandering. I buy in to the expansive sort of thing she was doing with the songs, but it's true they may be a bit too "personal" and meaningless to anybody else. "Milk Eyed Mender" is Joanna Newsom at her best as a proper song writer, I actually like that album more

this album FUCKS

>tfw people constantly bitch and moan and cry about how all music is the same these days
>an artist like Newsom or Bjork come along andake fantastic music
>people bitch and moan and cry about how it's different and thus bad

Attached: R14kkDj.png (657x527, 13K)

When I first saw the cover posted on Yea Forums i assumed it was shitty tradwife core, but when I gave it a try I enjoyed it a lot. It probably helped that I was already a fan of Leonard Cohen and progressive rock, though.

I get it

Yea Forums = cucks

Attached: tumblr_oyfpmphWck1w5fdfmo1_1280.jpg (1161x1280, 245K)

just listen to it a couple of times. It's a grower.