Stop pretending you understand music theory

Stop pretending that your music listening is some sort of distinguished intellectual and spiritual experience that is in any way superior to anyone else's music listening experience.

Attached: 1480515062454.png (357x368, 108K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yaOlx9BTjdk
google.de/amp/s/www.biography.com/.amp/people/vincent-van-gogh-9515695
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

“patterns” and “maths” and “rythms” and “ratios” and “notes” and “tones”

YOU DON’T GET MUSIC.

"sounds"

FUCK YOU MAN JUST FEEL IT FEEL IT FEEL IT FEELIT FEELIT FEELITARRRGHHH YESSSSS I'M CUMMINNGGG

We're looking at you jazz guys.

Sounds like someone who knew music theory made you feel like a small brain. top kek

Who are you talking to?

I have taken a number of courses in music theory

somewhere in the world there is at least one prog snob absolutely WIFFING at this post and it's beautiful

And?

Any music theory discussion here is just
>WOW imagine NOT knowing theory
>yeah bro i freaking love classical and jazz :3 anyone that doesn't know theory is dumb
No actual discussion, just dicksucking about how superior their taste is
Look at this thread, just butthurt theoryfags screeching

My favorite chord is A minor, what’s yours?

Most people who don't know what they like in music just choose something out of what they've been presented with, and are usually lukewarm on it for exactly that reason. Sure for example there are some people who are really passionate about pop music but most pop music listeners have no passion for music at all and just don't care. If someone can't even tell you what they like and say "oh i listen to a little bit of everything..." their opinion doesn't matter

You, you fucking bitch

i mean, i know theory and make music but it's basically just something you do to streamline songwriting and save years of fucking around and wasting time. its not really something you find interesting or really even care to acknowledge except as a general guideline when you get lost, or figuring out why something's not working. if you circlejerk about theory but don't make music, what the fuck's the point? and if you give more weight to theory than songwriting you're literally single digit IQ.

Attached: 1524961178860.gif (200x200, 3.89M)

*just something you learn

Oh i'd have to go with Bsus5...

music theory discussion makes my cock hard

Attached: IMG_9368.jpg (496x410, 39K)

this whole thread is non-theoryfags screeching tho

Remain ignorant, in my patrician scene, we have an initiation test on music theory.

so basically just fags screaming

Lmaoing at all your theory bs. Ive played piano for like 6 years and don't know any theory. When i was 17 i wrote songs that everyone who heard them thought was amazing. I still produce music people like and still don't know which fucking chords or scale im playing. You don't need to know grammar to speak or talk or to write poetry or to sing either.

Attached: IMG_9166.jpg (600x600, 33K)

>You don't need to know grammar to speak or talk
actually you do - you inherently learn it from hearing people talk and from reading. If you didn't know grammar, no one would be able to understand you at all.
For example:
"The more than crack would do the create construction falling weight"
That's writing without grammar

If you only know basic inherited grammar, you're going to mix up words like effect and affect, and never know when to use a semicolon. Your writing will always look amateur, and you certainly won't be winning any awards for poetry or writing a good novel.

Music theory is the same, you can learn parts of it just by playing music, but if you don't learn it properly your music will always sound amateur, and you certainly won't be able to write a piece for a professional performer, as they expect a written score and you need to know theory in order to produce one of those.

Why do you fucks act like music theory is more complex than it actually is? as long as you have an at least intermediate grasp of it and some keyboard skills you should be able to make some nice music

some rage-fuel for ya', OP

youtube.com/watch?v=yaOlx9BTjdk
26 mins in 00:26:00

I must add to this by saying that by learning music theory you actually destroy any ability to write music. Music theory is basically throwing in the towel and admitting that music has made you its bitch. A musical mind is a terrible thing to waste, and what's known as "music theory" is actually a mental disorder. It's been decided that giving the disorder a respectable name like "music theory" will soften the blow and allow the afflicted to live some semblance of a normal life with a feeling of dignity.

Attached: 1519637394120.png (409x409, 176K)

>by learning music theory you actually destroy any ability to write music
*improve your ability to write music

Knowledge and creativity are separate. Knowledge just gives your creativity more options.

A lot of music theory is not so much 'rules' but things like learning about instruments - their ranges, special effects, how to write idiomatically for them (orchestration), learning about sound and production (music technology), learning about how music has been written over the years (music history), and how it is written today (songwriting and popular music studies), or learning about music in other cultures (world music studies).

Theory is always descriptive - it describes how things are already done. If you don't want to learn that, you'll spend your whole life trying to reinvent a wheel that was invented 300 years ago, and never making any personal progress. You'll probably give up making music after a few years. Thankfully an uneducated mind is a perfectly fine thing to waste.

Another victim of music theory. It's not your fault. It's not your fault.

Attached: 1518935601439.png (499x499, 155K)

music theory took me from being an amateur, to having my music performed and recorded by real orchestras and ensembles, and getting paid to do film and game soundtracks.

Don't knock it till you've tried it

well my Statement here was basically learning by doing. I don't think you can compare it to reinventing the wheel, because in science (and Inventions like the Wheel are Science, or rather Intuition) yes, you do need theory (most of the time).

But music comes in many forms. Aphex Twin once said (and im guessing youre probably gonna shit on him now) i believe he cant even read notes. Hes just creative and is not restricted by any theory. I would disagree with your statement that learning theory doesnt restrict your creative thinking. Youll think in patterns. It might be true that you need it to be a professional Movie Score or orchestra composer yes. But when i write songs i just sit in Front of my piano and Play around till i find sth. that works. Sometimes he melody just pops into my Head out of nowhere. I also don't believe all great artists have visited art school or courses before making great art. And as ive said, there are quite a few people that enjoy my music.

I believe that the more music your hear, the more you live, the more you create and produce and write, the better it will get regardless of any theory.

Classical sounds good in spite of being complex, jazz sounds bad even when you understand the theory

See, this is what a healthy mind sounds like. Music theory isn't something you try; it's something that visits you and takes over, destroying music making capacity. The absence of a "desire to learn music theory" is the mark of a healthy mind and indicates that there is some creative potential remaining in that person, should they choose to unleash it.
You're experiencing end-stage music theory. I wish I could tell you something positive, but it's gonna get ugly. But there's plenty of music you can listen to to make life bearable, written by some very talented, music-theory-free people.

Attached: 1500906591220.jpg (670x424, 145K)

im 859:
Read this: google.de/amp/s/www.biography.com/.amp/people/vincent-van-gogh-9515695

The Part "early life an education" of van gogh. Not a Single mention of any Art school, only that he was passionate about art and visited art galleries all the time.

me again. also what you (theory guy) said about now youre able to make music commercially for Games or whatever. cool for you, but that doesnt mean you make great art or whatever. Thats like comparing a commercial logo designer/illustrator with a free livin artist like van Gogh for example.

Music comes from the heart and not from theory or Pressure to make a fitting jingle for a video game

Music theorists BTFO

user speaks the truth

>B-but muh music theory
Imagine wasting your time studying something that don't have any value for many years and that doesn't require any deep understanding to enjoy or create

why not try B if you want to frogpost

> music listening is an intellectual experience
i honestly never understood this meme. i like the way it sounds, i listen to it, that's all

this desu, just pointless knowledge if you're not going to apply it by making your own music

""I don't know any theory I just sit at. paino and im a musical genius"" If you understand how music works in any capacity you understand theory period. Theory is just how music works, whether thats through written notation or a more personalized approach with your instrument. Understanding how a musical event will affect the air is understanding theory

Attached: 1539042136121.jpg (800x725, 261K)

"I certainly had no feeling for harmony, and Schoenberg thought that that would make it impossible for me to write music. He said, 'You'll come to a wall you won't be able to get through.' So I said, 'I'll beat my head against that wall.' " --John Cage

Theory is understanding how and why music works, so when I see people say "I dont want to learn theroy I lobe music toot much itd ruin it for me" you're essentially saying you dont want to learn about and come to a deeper understanding of what you love. If understanding theory ruins music for you, were you really enjoying it in the first place? Same goes for composing

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-02-22 at 12.56.14 PM.png (493x484, 222K)

based

Your listening experience is richer if you understand what's going on with the music (both structurally (internally) and the message/context). This is literally a fact. It DOES take skill and intellect (AKA experience and time and effort) to educate yourself, thus enriching your listening experience.
However I don't think I'm superior to the people who don't do that though. That's just a pseud mentality to have. It's just music at the end of the day.

This. I can understand not wanting to deepen your understanding of something you like (maybe you just want to "feel" and not think which is fine) but I can't believe some people take pride in purposely NOT educating themselves and understanding things and then acting superior because of that. It's like a contest who is the bigger fucking retard.

>t.

Attached: 1548719416771.png (1000x432, 165K)

It is impossible to understand music, it can only be felt. No one understands music.

you don't know music theory if you don't know the math behind it

Why do you guys care if some brainlets call you pretentious and other buzzwords? If you can appreciate stuff like music theory and the Anime Serial Experiments Lain then that literally makes you intellectually superior to retards like OP.

You're retarded, Hans Pfitzner. Muh feels is a silly non-argument. Refer again to my original post:
>structurally (internally) and the message/context
Obviously most of this is mostly down to interpretation but that doesn't mean it can't be comprehended or understood.

truth

Feeling is a form of understaning as well

Introspection is very subjective but you're still probably correct; there's a lot of different levels and ways of understanding.

>Da Vinci received NO formal education beyond basic reading, writing and math, but his father appreciated his artistic talent and apprenticed him at around age 15 to the noted sculptor and painter Andrea del Verrocchio, of Florence.

>At age 15, van Gogh's family was struggling financially, and he was forced to LEAVE SCHOOL and go to work. He got a job at his Uncle Cornelis' art dealership, Goupil & Cie., a firm of art dealers in The Hague.

In June of 1873, van Gogh was transferred to the Groupil Gallery in London. There, he fell in love with English culture. He visited art galleries in his spare time

>Achille-Claude Debussy was born on August 22, 1862, in Saint-Germain-en-Laye, France, the oldest of five children. While his family had little money, Debussy showed an early affinity for the piano, and he began taking lessons at the age of 7. By age 10 or 11, he had entered the Paris Conservatory, where his instructors and fellow students recognized his talent but often found his attempts at musical innovation strange.

>James (Aphex Twin) [...] grew up in Lanner, Cornwall, with two older sisters, in a "very happy" childhood during which they "were pretty much left to do what [they] wanted".[6] He enjoyed living there, feeling apart from nearby cities and the rest of the world.[7] Some of his earliest musical experiments as a child involved James playing with the strings inside his family's piano, similar to composer John Cage's prepared piano experiments.

Attached: 1530893664863.png (281x215, 36K)

tl;dr biographies of artistical geniuses who have never visited any art school and experienced formal theory training

Lmao did you even read it?

yeah did you? Whats your point

What are you trying to prove, brainlet? Debussy didn't like institutionalised education and academic bullshit but he knew music theory inside and out because he religiously played and studies works of his predecessors and composed music himself. You can't break the rules if you don't know what those rules are in the first place.

studied*

Debussy studied at a paris music conservatory. one of the three examples in the excerpt doesnt follow your tldr lmao

>While his family had little money, Debussy showed an early affinity for the piano, and he began taking lessons at the age of 7. By age 10 or 11, he had entered the Paris Conservatory
>and apprenticed him at around age 15 to the noted sculptor and painter Andrea del Verrocchio, of Florence
Hmmmmmm.

>unironically links destiny

oh damn my bad english isnt my native language. But you ignored my other examples, also people thought he was a weirdo for innovating. Thats what people at art school fucking think of Genius lmao.

Love when I go to jam with new people and ask them to play a simple 1 4 5 progression and they look at me like I'm retarded and say "sorry man I don't use music theory, I don't want to limit my creativity with rules". So they play an E power chord for an hour and let their creative juices really flow!

truth

Nigger what is your point because you're talking bullshit

Big, fat, caveman riffs is all you need.

>t.

Attached: uscJgBL-_400x400.jpg (240x240, 13K)

You can listen to music and enjoy it just fine without knowing theory, obviously, but if you know even some basics about the construction of a piece or what to expect, you can appreciate the way a composer, writer, whoever, develops their music in accordance with or contrast to those conventions. It's just another way of listening and appreciating the same music.

>People are concerned about their "listening experience" being just as "good" as other people's, something which means literally piss fuck nothing
Faggot-core

post songs lmfao

there is no Bsus5 lmao. the 5 is already a default note in a B major chord. a typical sus chord would be Sus2 or sus4 since they're non chord tones

ITT: Non-musician scum who think you can compose music without knowing any theory.

>Ive been playing like 6 years and don't know any theory?

"Piano player" and doesn't know any theory? Ahahahaha you must suck ass

no i prefer pussy over ass

If you can't build chords more complicated than major/minor triads and call yourself a "good" piano player, it's time to kill yourself, my man.

Polyrhythms, negative harmony, modulation, modal interchange, modes of melodic minor/harmonic minor, microtonality, etc.

If you don't find at least one of the above interesting and call yourself passionate about music, you are a literal braincel

>mfw I have a job in music

Attached: grand fugue.png (427x576, 310K)

Yea Forums can't comprehend music that isn't centred around the tempered system and triad chords m8

7th chords, 9ths, 11ths, etc. aren't based on the tempered system?

What are you saying

I mean, there are certain types of melodies and chord progressions that I really like. Would theory help me understand and identify those things better? Or help me incorporate them into my own music?

>Would theory help me understand and identify those things better? Or help me incorporate them into my own music?
Yes. That's what music theory is for.

i dont even know what major/minor triads means lol

my ep isnt finished yet.

imagine telling someone to kill themselves based on how they play the piano

triad? 3 chord tones? like a C major?

little hint here user: chords can be more complicated than 3 notes.... and get this: some of them actually sound GOOD!

I'm not going to even bother reading this shitpuddle of a thread, i'm just here to say the simple truth.
There's only two types of people that browse Yea Forums:

Either you LISTEN to a lot of music, so you think you know your shit, but you actually don't, and you'll never even remotely understand the inner world of a musician.

Or you WORK with sound and music as an audio engineer, and you're 100% sure you truly understand music and it holds no secrets for you, but the truth is that you only understand the technical minutiae of it, the smokes and mirrors, and you too will never be part of the world of actual musicians.

There's no musicians on Yea Forums.
Period.
No, having your little soundcloud or bandcamp where you shill your submediocre derivative shit doesn't make you a musician.
Musicians don't browse Yea Forums.
If you're here you automatically will never actually understand what making music is really about.
You sit in a room all day listening to every single turd ever made and shitting out your bleep bloops but it'll never click within your brain because you were born missing that one critical component inside that any self respecting musician has, and you don't.
You simply weren't born with it and there's no way to "learn" it, no matter how hard you try.

Attached: 1335108218232.png (692x464, 463K)

I'm saying Yea Forums can't comprehend the existence of music that isn't build on triads. Which are based on the tempered system as well, yes (not necessarily though). That's what I'm saying. Yea Forums thinks everything music theory is is learning a few scales and chords and then you're done so obviously in this case they conclude that it's useless.

lol

7th, 9th, and 11 chords are based on triads lol, extensions of triads. Quartal and quintal chords aren't, learn your shit before you act holier than thou

based patrick poster

Yeah wow you probably studied 10 years of theory to figure out which notes sound good when you add them to a triad chord huh? lmao btw there another way to do this:
1. have ears

I mean, if you're not a total fucking, you can learn it in 10 minutes. A scale has x amount of tones, adding the 7th tone to of the scale to the chord makes it a 7th, passing the octave makes it a 9th, etc.

Again really not hard if you're not retarded but I can see why that may be a problem for you

*fucking retard

why are you here

Having more knowledge about a subject compared to anyone without said knowledge does give them an advantage compared to that person. You can certainly still write music without educating yourself but the educated person will often be able to write music faster, and contrary to popular belief, being knowledgeable doesn't hinder their ability to improvise and experiment.

Nigger what the fuck are you talking about, I'm not even disagreeing with you, I know my shit, and what the fuck does that have to do with anything that I'm originally saying?

Why are people in this thread acting like music theory is some elite, esoteric shit only available to those who attend fancy music schools? The theory snobs and the anti- crowd alike. It’s current year, you can literally teach yourself the essentials of theory for free on the internet in less than a year. And honestly, for most people a basic understanding of theory is all they will need. Is it possible to make and appreciate music without it? Yeah, but it’ll probably make a lot more sense and you’ll find your process more streamlined as a result of adding it to your arsenal of artstc tools. It won’t make you special but it almost certainly will help you. What the fuck is stopping you?

>Why are people in this thread acting like music theory is some elite, esoteric shit only available to those who attend fancy music schools?
Nobody is saying that.

Cynical brainlet