[Q] Hi Robert...

[Q] Hi Robert. I was wondering what your thoughts are on the Soundcloud rap that has been quite dominant in the latter half of this decade, and if you think it is any way comparable to the DIY sensibility of punk.

[A] 1) As with most underground music punk included, I find it more efficient to let the marketplace do some sorting before I get on it. And in Soundcloud rap however exactly you define it I'm not at all impressed by the job the marketplace has done. 2) DIY punk involves minor but telling variations on a simple musical frame I've often compared to blues. Soundcloud rap involves (or anyway, should) beatmaking strategies I'm ill-equipped culturally to feel from the git insofar as they're not raw lo-fi ineptitude/indifference. 3) Soundcloud rap is at least as afflicted as any other kind of hip hop with sexist rhetoric I need very good reasons to hear past. I'm way sick of the word "bitch." I hated the XXXTentacion album in particular and wasted no time mourning his death. 4) Insofar as any new rap is a singles music that's just not what I do as a critic. 5) Cheap production and distribution techniques are one reason why all "death of the album" talk is bullshit. But the sheer profusion of music means much good stuff will get lost.

Attached: christgau1med.jpg (400x266, 17K)

why cant zoomer faggots just face the facts they suck ass and thier music sucks ass too?

>gives some random mixtape Thugger did with some random literally who an A

>I hated the XXXTentacion album in particular and wasted no time mourning his death
Ok, a stopped watch is still right twice a day.

Damn even Christgau thinks Tentacion isn’t a big loss for music
Is there an artist that’s been BTFO’d more than that dead mentally ill faggot?

He contributed nothing. He just created shitty music, did morally reprehensible things, and then died.

He's right desu. I have no idea how anybody stays abreast of the soundcloud scene, it must be exhausting

I don't think anyone actually listens to the stuff unironically, pretty sure it's just a meme/joke.

>I hated the XXXTentacion album in particular and wasted no time mourning his death.
Damn, I can't believe Christgau and Scaruffi agree on something.

i'm sure he has younger writers recommending him shit all the time

yeah I mean to act as a filter, no big deal. but inevitably you'd miss huge amounts of stuff.

>I have no idea how anybody stays abreast of the soundcloud scene

The question is, why would you want to? There's nothing there resembling music.

>He contributed nothing. He just created shitty music, did morally reprehensible things, and then died.
Same with 6ix9ine outside the died part.

They can't rap, they have no flow, they can't write lyrics, they look like carnival freak show acts, and they just shout over copypasted ProTools beats.

>still talking about punk in 2019

I'm glad Eminem dismantled Soundcloud rap.

^This. Punk ended when Black Flag broke up.

As trash as the genre is, at least it pretty much stays in its own "community" and doesn't produce any real chart hits you would be subjected to on the radio.

I'm subjected to it less than I am Ariana Grande anyway.

*when Sid Vicious died.

*when billy murcia died

Didn't he once use "Rivers Cuomo" and "punk" in the same sentence?