The Velvets release Heroin in 1967

>The Velvets release Heroin in 1967
>The Beatles respond with Happiness Is A Warm Gun in 1968
>The Velvets release Sister Ray in January of 1968
>The Beatles fucking dab on them with Revolution 9 in November of that same year
Why did The Beatles do everything The Velvet Underground did, except better?

Attached: the-beatles-the-white-album.png (807x807, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DNh5Ca1dIXM
youtube.com/watch?v=HuS5NuXRb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=QDYfEBY9NM4
youtube.com/watch?v=wsRatIMUSu8
youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1TbFZ44tY
youtube.com/watch?v=xpLn6XgWD1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7jIaNWyPI
youtube.com/watch?v=aloKszqSJ9E
beatlesbible.com/2009/02/24/unreleased-revolution-1-mix/
self-titledmag.com/2013/02/21/interview-john-cale-shares-his-life-story/
youtube.com/watch?v=ed7xNTSyGyk
youtube.com/watch?v=VEtvO1S-drU
youtube.com/watch?v=1JhtQInF-c0
youtube.com/watch?v=O8pulOnIE5Q
youtube.com/watch?v=717EknRsqqQ
youtube.com/watch?v=AcQjM7gV6mI
youtube.com/watch?v=chtmIJ1wYc4
youtube.com/watch?v=SEoKf52h9ok
youtube.com/watch?v=7f7D2_jUkqA
youtube.com/watch?v=7ypxnhLxIUs
youtube.com/watch?v=VO3NZWe77sI
youtube.com/watch?v=lAxqvqT6ZfM
youtube.com/watch?v=Vkr67wOveEk
youtube.com/watch?v=iQq6zw7fXYQ
beatlesbible.com/songs/happiness-is-a-warm-gun/
youtube.com/watch?v=y0uoakDesgo
youtube.com/watch?v=g0irKUtaCaU
youtube.com/watch?v=KZSJPbNk9Zs
youtube.com/watch?v=nGbWU8S3vzs
youtube.com/watch?v=AMSiHdrHl0g
youtube.com/watch?v=D7jnrdQvqgg
youtube.com/watch?v=RiTwf45cH6M
youtube.com/watch?v=YBcdt6DsLQA
youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA
youtube.com/watch?v=ELlLIwhvknk
youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4
youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0
youtube.com/watch?v=aXNY4NddrLo
youtube.com/watch?v=I4xw_Dx0pIg
youtube.com/watch?v=nIR6AAjEg5U
youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1hCSA89fc
youtube.com/watch?v=yp5elOxcT34
youtube.com/watch?v=BpndGZ71yww
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

> Why did The Beatles do everything The Velvet Underground did, except better?

Paul McCartney.

> Why did the Beatles break up?

Paul McCartney.

I can't fathom being retarded enough to believe that those Beatles songs are better or even anywhere near as good as those Velvets songs

Literally the least capable Beatle of creating masterpieces

> Literally the least capable Beatle of creating masterpieces

youtube.com/watch?v=DNh5Ca1dIXM

youtube.com/watch?v=HuS5NuXRb5Y

youtube.com/watch?v=QDYfEBY9NM4

youtube.com/watch?v=wsRatIMUSu8

Get that weak shit out of here.

the reason why Eleanor Rigby is a masterpiece is because of the chamber orchestration and that was Martin's contribution.

>mediocre pop songs
>some good pop songs helped by the genius George Martin
Wow, thanks for proving my point

1. George Harrison
2. John Lennon
3. Paul McCartney
4. Ringo Starr

well yesterday

You know that for most McCartney songs, Martin's arrangement was literally just to transcribe what McCartney hummed onto the instruments McCartney wanted, right? The Lennon songs are where he actually had to do work because Lennon was a dumbshit.

>comparing Happiness is A Warm Gun to Heroin
>comparing Sister Ray to Revolution 9
cringe

Real music fans know the Beatles did the VU aesthetic before even the Monks existed.
>youtube.com/watch?v=zZ1TbFZ44tY
>youtube.com/watch?v=xpLn6XgWD1Y
>youtube.com/watch?v=Vv7jIaNWyPI
And I mean both sides of the VU.
>youtube.com/watch?v=aloKszqSJ9E

Sister Ray is actually good though
Revolution 9 is dogshit

>comparing Sister Ray, one of the greatest songs ever recorded, to Revolution 9, a literal joke song

fucking kill yourself you tasteless pleb

If Lennon hadn't been such a lazy shit and finished Revolution 20 like he was supposed to, it would be by far the best Beatles song.
>beatlesbible.com/2009/02/24/unreleased-revolution-1-mix/

>Sister Ray, a literal joke song:
>Reed said of the lyrics: "'Sister Ray' was done as a joke"

yeah the difference is one is good and one is not

Would have been interesting
Both of the Revolutions are disappointing
9 is just a lazy mess
1 starts of incredible but loses steam about 3 minutes in, and its pro establishment lyrics are just lame

Those songs aren't comparable. Heroin is a 7 minute avant-noise punk track, Happiness is a warm Gun is a 4 minute rock track, that isn't nearly as progressive.

Sister Ray is a 17 minute noise rock jam, Revolution 9 is an 8 minute musique concrete track.

Where is the similarity.

Heroin and Happiness both have stream of consciousness lyrics with strong, abstract imagery
Other than that I agree, they’re not similar

I wouldn't call Lennon a dumbshit but he was certainly lazy. He took George Martin & the engineering wizards for granted and would give them the vaguest suggestions and then later be pissed that the result didn't come out the way he wanted it to.
When they were producing Strawberry Fields Forever he basically said "I like this part of this take, and this part of this take, but not this specific segment" and then buggered off leaving them to figure out how on earth they'd stitch together what was essentially two different songs in two different keys at two different tempos. Because it was fucking 1966 and the technology did not exist in any way, shape or form they ended up having to find a way to manually limit the specific amount of electricity going into the second part's tape machine until it reached a slowdown that was in the same key as the first part.
Of course, this wasn't on Lennon's mind in 1970 when he was slagging off Martin in the press saying he was being given credit he didn't deserve.

Attached: strawberry fields recording.jpg (736x495, 94K)

Man just imagine the feedback swirling around with the full background noises as they harmonize on the "Mama, Dada" and the song gets progressively more chaotic and Lennon's "It's gonna be alright" gets more and more fucked up until it turns into Revolution 9. Fucking kino. We could have had dream pop, shoegaze, musique concrete, and prog in the same 1968 song. Instead we got meh.

I agree that they can't be compared, but
>Happiness is a warm Gun is a 4 minute rock track, that isn't nearly as progressive
Yeah, so HIAWG isn't avant-noise punk, but it's literally proto-prog (the shifting time signatures, the sections, the sudden section of polyrhythms, etc.) They can't be compared, but HIAWG is literally, by genre definition, progressive.

Could have been day in the life mark 2

>avant-noise punk track

Attached: 52053781_10215883061582337_4299900448191545344_o.jpg (1728x1296, 339K)

>"hey guys I plagiarized some lyrics from the Tibetan book of the dead"
>"also make my voice sound like hundreds of monks chanting from a mountain"
>McCartney makes complex tape loops with techniques he invented while experimenting with a tape machine
>Ringo creates one of the most forward-thinking, hypnotic beats ever made
>Geoff Emerick literally has to Rube Goldberg a new recording technique
>"that's nice losers, people are still going associate this and Strawberry Fields' innovations with me btw"

>people are still going to associate the songs I wrote with me
?

Oh yeah I also forgot this gem:
>Lennon later told Beatles biographer Hunter Davies: "I should have tried to get near my original idea, the monks singing. I realise now that's what I wanted."

Another episode of the greatest pop songwriter of all time triggering r*ddit losers ITT.
Yea he's based.

Attached: 507730A5-D670-478C-B28F-964BC5F0E841-17598-00001A136BA24037.jpg (502x703, 105K)

>a song for which you barely contributed the lyrics
>"I-I wrote it"

Happiness is a Warm Gun is by FAR the best Beatles song.
But sister ray is ever greater imo

you're my wonderwall

>a song he wrote it
>"I wrote it"
Yea, seems accurate

>all these angry replies
OP really struck a nerve, huh?

Why does Lennon triggers incels and non-musicians this much 30 years after his death?

I guess if I set these lyrics to Zappa I wrote Peaches en Regalia

Attached: et9ki77bylg01.jpg (1440x1080, 114K)

based Faul

To be fair, John Lennon is an unlikeable dickhead

Huh?

Uhhhhh, you should try Reddit, it might be more of your speed, kid.

Attached: E7C2F474-90A2-40A9-84BB-5065EC0F3039-1413-000001BA11E07EEE.png (575x843, 708K)

This "John was the progressive forward-looking genius, Paul was the regressive nostalgic fool" dichotomy should have died in the '80s. Unfortunately, the misconception continues to this day, and people don't realize or think of the fact that Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, TNK, Sgt. Pepper's, The Fool on the Hill, Penny Lane, Helter Skelter, and the Abbey Road medley (the greatest second half of an album known to man) were Paul's handiwork.

>popular (this is the most important point)
>most of his solo career was pretty shit
>most evidence points to him having a shit personality
It's retarded to use any of that to try to diminish his actual accomplishments though. He's far from the only artist to treat his collaborators and everyone else badly.

>Happiness is a warm gun
>better than heroin

Kek, do people really believe this?

>Beatles breakup
>John Lennon makes 5 good songs on two albums, one of which he wrote with Paul originally, then goes into shit
>George Harrison makes one album of songs he wrote during the Beatles and then goes further into shit
>McCartney releases Ram, an album decades ahead of its time and clear sequel to the sound of Abbey Road without the other Beatles or George Martin
>follows it up 3 years after the break-up with Band on the Run, the greatest platonic idea of "pop music"

I think he had the right idea.

Yeah, Paul lived in the heart of London and was absolutely obsessed with the avant-garde, he worshipped René Magritte for Christ’s sake. Meanwhile John just stayed at home out in the country getting high
Lennon managed to alienate and talk shit about 90% of the people he knew
Look at how he treated his own flesh and blood

Lyrically Heroin is far superior but I prefer Happiness overall. The constant shifting melodies and rhythm capping off with the final doo-wop section is pure musical genius

None of what makes Tomorrow Never Knows important was Lennon's contribution, and that it was as important as it was is only because of little he contributed to it. If he had actually contributed more to the song, we would all be shitting on the song at the end of Revolver where the Beatles hire a Tibetan monk choir to sing plagiarized phrases and nothing interesting happens

Both of those Velvets songs are about sucking cock

>If he had actually contributed more to the song, we would all be shitting on the song at the end of Revolver where the Beatles hire a Tibetan monk choir to sing plagiarized phrases and nothing interesting happens
Legitimate kek

Attached: 354deaa3770912621bb816da070346ab--the-frog-united-states.jpg (236x224, 11K)

Yeah, I can't find it right now but the interview where McCartney talks about how during a showing of the Let it Be film in the years after Lennon got murdered, the audience actually booed where he showed up in the film is heartbreaking. People don't realize how much the business relationship between Lennon and Jann Wenner (editor of Rolling Stone and avid Lennon fan) essentially meant that the media and music culture was always going to tip towards Lennon's side of the story.

based

Happiness is a Warm Gun is literally a penis joke. Happiness is a warm gun = a penis is a warm gun

LMFAOOOOOOOOOOO you actually think happiness is a warm gun is better than heroin???

Yeah, but not from the perspective of a cocksucker

Also, by your equation
>Happiness = a penis
Car Seat Headrest general is that way

Attached: s_5b1c6773d6dc5213c9f6d75e.jpg (300x300, 17K)

Not OP, but HIAWG>Heroin. Both are overrated btw.

>Happiness = a penis
That was Lennon's pun, don't blame me

Re-read your post and defend yourself again

Attached: 1J1t.gif (340x261, 951K)

Cringe

Attached: orig.png (393x524, 269K)

If you think the Beatles had ANYTHING to do with the Velvets, read a fucking book. Look at the fucking charts. They were in completely different worlds. Velvets were record store clerk rock and they never got any more than that until like a decade later. The Beatles were literally on top of the charts and the world, album after album. Get off the internet, read a book, and write some letters to a friend so you can realize that things took WAY longer to travel back then. The Beatles were in no way responding to, or probably even aware of Andy Warhol's pet band.

This. The Velvet Underground were literally so fucking irrelevant in their day. The Beatles didn't even know they existed.

Do you not realize Lennon is using it as a double entendre you retard (Hint: "Mother Superior" was one of Lennon's pet names for Yoko). The song is about a depressed addict meeting Yoko and having sex with her. I hope I ruined the "Bang bang, shoot shoot" chorus for you as well now that you know what it means.

these are cool tracks buddy but they're nowhere as hard as the VU or the Monks

>If you think the Beatles had ANYTHING to do with the Velvets, read a fucking book

Hmm.
self-titledmag.com/2013/02/21/interview-john-cale-shares-his-life-story/
>"By the time I started writing songs I was 23, or whatever, and if it wasn’t for the Beatles explosion I wouldn’t have got to them. But that middle year in New York in ’64, when the Beatles were around, that was really inspirational."
>"When you’re working on such rarified things as the drone and an intonation system, and outside in the big wide world, you’ve got these really attractive melodies and songs going on–it’s in the air and everybody’s excited about the Beatles–it’s like you can’t ignore it. Especially if you sort of missed out on it in your teenage years. I mean, I was trying to form a jazz band in Wales as a teenager and got nowhere."

Also another Cale quote (can't link because it's Mojo):
>"They were a driving force in the Velvets, and made us work harder and got us on our bikes. Rubber soul was where you were forced to deal with them as something other than a flash in the pan. It was rich in ideas and I loved the way George managed to find a way to include all those Indian instruments. Lou and I had tried to work with the sarinda. We were only playing it just to get a noise but I realized you could play melody on the sitar as good as Norwegian Wood. Norwegian wood had this atmosphere of being very acid. I don't think anybody has ever got that sound or that feeling as well at the Beatles."

Oh hey that's actually pretty clever. Never mind then.

I wasn't implying they were harder, just that they had done their aesthetic before.
>youtube.com/watch?v=ed7xNTSyGyk

mccartney wrote blackbird too
this is a little naive, the Beatles were way too hip to not be aware of the Velvets. And Andy Warhol was a serious celebrity back then. They probably didn't like their style much though.

>In Richard Witts's biography Nico: The Life & Lies of an Icon, she claims to have been in attendance at the private party Brian Epstein threw at his home on May 19 to preview the Beatles' Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band for the press. "There is a song I liked on Sgt. Pepper, called 'A Day in the Life,'" she states in the book. "It has a beautiful song and then this strange sound like John Cale would make (he told me it was an orchestra, actually) and then this stupid little pop song that spoils everything so far. I told this to Paul [McCartney], and I made a mistake, because the beautiful song was written by John Lennon and the stupid song was written by Paul. It can be embarrassing when you speak the truth."
Based Nico destroying Paul McCartney

yeah, the beatles were objectively better in their hamburg days but none of these songs prove your point at all. they're just passionately played merseybeat

kek

Your reading comprehension is shite mate

what i love about threads about revolution 9 is that beatles fans and beatles haters on this board are so bum fuck retarded about musique concrete that arguments in favor and against are equally embarrassing to read

While John's part are obviously the superior verses, Paul's part is as essential as John's. It's a perfect song.

based

Attached: 2ec.png (600x580, 572K)

IRRC I dunno if it was ever photographed but Lennon had a poster of the banana album on his bedroom wall at some point during late 1967. They were definitely aware of the Velvets, and given the stuff they'd done in Hamburg and the really out-there outtakes from the time, they probably did like their sound, it was just in more of a "that was pretty good, let's check out what Stockhausen's been up to lately" than "in this banana contains all music ever recorded"

the song is shit buddy

is too busy sucking on a ding dong to rate music accurately
Heroin > Happiness Is A Warm Gun
Literally every Beatles song > Sister Ray (noise "music" trash)

John was by nature a better composer, but Paul, on top of being amazing, was a much harder worker, which is why he overtakes John around White Album.

the song is not good musique concrete but it's also not a joke song. it's an excited and overambitious amateur (Lennon) with the help of a better collage artist (Ono) putting together a kind of music that is supposed to explore texture to the end of simulating a pop song. it's an interesting experiment but certainly a failed one. and yeah sister ray is better, but it's also a bit safer of a song, hate to say.

also, it's wild that people on this board think Heroin is the standout Velvets song to be beat when Venus in Furs continues to exist

They were lewd motherfuckers.
>first album has song about handjobs

both songs can be considered stand outs. heroin has a bigger gut punch factor.

Its a good piece of musique concrete imo. I honestly don't understand the hate

which one?
yeah maybe I was a little harsh but I don't see them taking the velvets as much of an influence or considering their songwriting on the same level

>hurrr the beatles clearly influenced Cale, proved you wrong haha
Wow, no shit that the biggest band in the fucking world influenced somebody. Where did you learn this?!?!?

>passionately played merseybeat
It goes way harder than any other comparable Merseybeat of the time. It's Merseybeat in the same way the mid-sixties rhythm and blues bands of the British Invasion are Merseybeat. The difference between it and mainstream rock n roll music at the time is the difference between the original version of Nothing Shaking youtube.com/watch?v=VEtvO1S-drU and the Beatles cover of it youtube.com/watch?v=1JhtQInF-c0

>that Yesterday, Eleanor Rigby, TNK, Sgt. Pepper's, The Fool on the Hill, Penny Lane, Helter Skelter, and the Abbey Road medley (the greatest second half of an album known to man) were Paul's handiwork.
i think you're forgetting that a day in the life, Norwegian wood, happiness is a warm gun, strawberry fields forever, tomorrow never knows, Come Together, I Am the Walrus,Lucy in the sky with diamonds, you're so heavy, because, etc. John wrote damn near every best song on every album post rubber soul

>Literally every Beatles song > Sister Ray (noise "music" trash
cringe

again, they can play harder than their contemporaries and it doesn't make them the monks or velvets

Paul came up with the "John Cale part" so he made up for it a bit there

Do not forget In My Life, the greatest pop song of all time.

>TNK and Strawberry Fields
nice meme friendo, upvoted

>hating on Paul's lame ass granny shit part
Cringe but Redpilled
>telling to Paul McCartney that his granny shit sucks
Based and blackpilled.
John & Nico would have been a good duo

>dab with revolution 9
kys

I legit don't think even Melody Laughter goes harder than that version of Roll Over Beethoven desu, the lyrics are obviously not Sister Ray, but the aggression outclasses the Velvet's sound by far

Please Please Me.

Lol it goes further. Andy Warhol was shot by Valerie Solanas but survived and the Beatles fucking dabbed on that shit when Mark Chapman fucking murdered John Lennon!

WOW

Attached: Nazi.gif (267x200, 485K)

The ending only works because of Paul's part. If you take it out, the modulation isn't there, E major hasn't been exposed as key, we're only aware of it E minor and G major as the main keys. The ending in E major only works because it showed up on Paul's section.

I'm p sure that's about not getting as much as you're giving
a la
>I eat you for 30 min straight and 10 min of fucking is too long

White Album was great but you're a dumb cunt.

Accurate

Attached: Paul.gif (320x240, 1.84M)

White Album>Banana and WL/WH but OP is a faggot

Band on the Run a shit

Attached: z.gif (326x281, 110K)

Paul and George's contributions to Lennon's songs were numerous and were often what made the songs masterpieces. Strawberry Fields Forever is arguably more theirs than his.

John on the other hand contributed fuck all. The biggest mark he made was the piano on Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da after he'd had enough of Paul's shit. He didn't even bother to play on half of George's stuff.

R*ddit the post

>Paul can't write any masterpi-
youtube.com/watch?v=O8pulOnIE5Q

>Paul and George's contributions to Lennon's songs were numerous and were often what made the songs masterpieces. Strawberry Fields Forever is arguably more theirs than his.
Dishonest faggot.

Why lying on a Mongolian throat singing Swiss anonymous board?

You can't fix stupid

Attached: 41+g3CL-iNL._SX425_.jpg (425x214, 17K)

I'm pretty sure more younger people like BOTR than boomers tbqh

That doesn't even make sense.

Attached: giphy.gif (480x270, 528K)

Source?

No. Grannies like granny shit.

I'm calling you stupid

Attached: funny-patches-i-m-sorry-for-calling-you-stupid-i-thought-you-already-knew-patch-p5081-main.jpg (1000x667, 298K)

Revolution 9 is poo poo

All well and good, you're just going about it in the most cringe way possible.

-eces

Well, I'm glad we could come to an agreement
McCartney II is his only good solo record, though

Attached: agreement.jpg (620x350, 11K)

Name a single song post-Beatles Lennon song which even begins to compare to Back Seat of My Car

Yeah user, I'm sure Strawberry Fields Forever would be exactly as good as it is without the atmosphere-setting mellotron part Paul wrote, the dream-setting guitar played by Harrison, the heavy drum break and McCartney's red light guitar, and Harrison's incorporation of Indian instruments.
BTW:
> In his lead guitar part,[41] Harrison plays arpeggio chord patterns, after Lennon had struggled to master the picking technique.[67]
>After reviewing the acetates of the new remake and the previous version, Lennon told Martin that he liked both the "original, lighter" take 7 and "the intense, scored version",[75] and wanted to combine the two.[82][83] Martin had to tell Lennon that the orchestral score was at a faster tempo and in a higher key (B major) than the earlier recording (A major).[34][84] Lennon assured him: "You can fix it, George."[85]

It's a great album. He's got way more than one good album though.

Litterally every Plastic One Band song
John or Yoko

Attached: DXp6QP_W4AAio1p.jpg (691x960, 93K)

>name a Lennon song that's better than a mediocre pop song
The entirety of Plastic Ono Band

Sorry user, but I can't do the impossible. There are none.

From a commercial point of view, the most successful songwriter of all time. And you shit on him. Oh, I get it. Commercial = crap. Commercial = sellout.

Commercial also makes you rich. And if it was so easy to write hit songs, every Walmart and Burger King employee would be doing it and moving up. The fact is it's HARD to write hits. The list of writers who've had more that TWO #1 records is ridiculously small.

And you say he hasn't written masterpieces:

A majority of the Sgt. Pepper LP
A majority of the Abbey Road Side 2 medley
Eleanor Rigby
Yesterday
Hey Jude
Let It Be
Long and Winding Road
Penny Lane

>mellotron part Paul wrote
John wrote it; Paul played it.

>wow user tell me that the song would be as good if there's only John's playing on the song
Huh, they're a band. They do better with teamwork.

Not even that guy, but not even close. I love Plastic Ono Band, but the arrangements are basic as fuck. It's an emotional album sure, but if you wanna talk musical, you gotta fuck off.

>WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL
>*hack wheeze cough*
>i can't do it ;_;
Yoko is good but Yoko doesn't count

Only a 12 year old would prefer The Beatles instead of TVU.

Attached: 6.jpg (842x461, 51K)

>technicality over expression
well, see, that's where you're missing it

Attached: images (1).jpg (275x183, 7K)

t. 13 year old

>From a commercial point of view, the most successful songwriter of all time.
Im talking about writing masterpieces, retard. Post malone is successful, is he also a genius songwriter?

>and you say he hasn't written masterpieces
Yes, he hasn't

4channel is 18+

You don't understand music.

Oh, you're one of THOSE people

Attached: w.jpg (1293x627, 160K)

are you a discord tranny?

Post Malone bops
He's only been around a minute. Give him some time.

How many instruments do you play?

based

Does it move you?
Does it make you move?

Here, let me help you respond to the post you meant to reply to

4. Why?

Wow is a fucking jam

>it moves someone else, but it doesn't move me
>it's bad

Attached: 1545135540674.jpg (500x328, 101K)

What said, any notion that anything John Lennon wrote post-Beatles reaches the complexity of that song - or indeed any number of solo McCartney songs and Wings songs - is retarded
>music is good because it gives me fee fees
Come back when you've grown up lad

You're 100% pseud.

>complexity = good
Clueless
The song is awful.

>John wrote it; Paul played it.
>McCartney wrote the melody for the Mellotron introduction,[59] although on the first take the instrument appears more in the role of backing accompaniment, relative to its prominence on the officially released recording.
Being wrong, absolutely based and redpilled.

>Huh, they're a band. They do better with teamwork.
>Dishonest faggot.
>in reply to:
>Paul and George's contributions to Lennon's songs were numerous and were often what made the songs masterpieces.
>Strawberry Fields Forever is arguably more theirs than his.

They contributed way the fuck more to the sound of SFF than Lennon did, ergo Strawberry Fields is more theirs than his. This is also a problem that shows up the most often in Lennon songs btw. McCartney's songs outside of the odd Helter Skelter usually came in with all the arrangements and structure already in mind. Lennon's stuff was always worked out gradually by the band.

>thinking the beatles gave a fuck about the velvet underground
lmao

I think you're missing the point

Come back when you get laid

This is why autists shouldn't be allowed to partake in discussions of the arts

Attached: harry-styles-gucci-1280.jpg (970x546, 134K)

OP's post is one of the best baits I've seen in a long time. Truly masterful. Hats off to you

>He didn't even bother to play on half of George's stuff.
i had to look this up but it's not reaallly true, he only didn't play on:
>Love You To
>Within You Without You
>Long, Long, Long
>Savoy Truffle
>Here Comes The Sun
>I, Me, Mine
though that's still quite bad considering George would play on all his shit and even with their soured relationship McCartney would always help out

i'd say they're right tb.h
when it comes to SFF McCartney/Harrison/Martin's contributions make the song what it is. Lennon wrote it of course but in the overall arrangement he just strummed a barely audible guitar

I think I just proved your point.

And Backseat of My Car is expressive as well as being full of layers and counterpoint, thanks user I agree

>I play 4 instruments!
>Bongos, maracas, cymbals, and voice

Explain why it is awful other than "I don't like it, therefore bad"
>art cannot be both emotional and complex, with the complexity feeding into the emotional value of the work

a sound collage has a totally different process of creation and cannot be compared to songwriting or improvised playing. it's not an apt comparison.

and then there's also the fact that it's bullshit.

You're arguing that technicality is more valuable than emotive expression in pop art and that couldn't be further from the truth

Why do you think Nirvana is more popular than the Beach Boys?

People don't care about the notes they're hearing, only how it makes them feel

This is that guy

Attached: fag.png (500x378, 77K)

The best part is that only 10% at best of the posters ITT are still arguing over OP's bait; the other 90% have derailed into another heated conversation entirely. The best bait is open-ended, able to be taken in any direction you like, and this passes with flying colors.

I think most of the thread forgot about the OP to go on some weird Lennon backlash for some reason

I never argued that technicality makes a song better. You're trying to argue that technicality makes a song worse. That's why you're retarded.

>When I hold you in my arms
>And I feel my finger on your trigger

Attached: 1542656852919.gif (500x281, 1.91M)

Maybe if you weren't so concerned with counterpoint, you might be able to talk to girls

it's a single autistic dude spamming this shit.

Not that guy, but you sound like you're projecting your insecurities hard.

Wtf?? my head canon was that John conceived at least the majority of Strawberry Fields's "genius"
Are any of his other songs like this? Was he a fraud after all? Did ringo write In My Life??

>this much projecting

You're a dumb motherfucker if you think there's just one Beatles poster on this board.

I've stated my case multiple times and you seem to have somehow missed it each time
I'll direct you to a previous post

All of these posts are me lol
Any questions?

I still don't know what you're trying to prove. You're an awful teacher with terrible taste.

I liked "Here, There, and Everywhere" better when it was called "God Only Knows"

Attached: ps.jpg (355x355, 36K)

>unable to come up with a #clapback so they resort to the "muh projections" meme
Learn 2 rhetoric

I love threads like these where people just totally, as you said, forget about the OP. It's hilarious.
The best part is that here, you can see that the derailment literally happened one post in:
Just like that, on the first post, the thread immediately took a turn for essential irrelevance to the OP. Masterful.

Good point

I was saying that to judge a composition purely on its technical merit and not by how it makes you feel is to miss the purpose of what art itself is
i.e. Hemingway to Faulkner

Eh, that's misleading info imo. He skipped most of the sessions for While My Guitar Gently Weeps and obviously did not give a fuck about the song, but he still "played on it", it's just that his contribution is barely anything:
>George Harrison – double-tracked vocals, backing vocal, acoustic guitar, Hammond organ
>Paul McCartney – harmony vocal, piano, bass guitar
>Ringo Starr – drums, tambourine, castanets
>Eric Clapton – lead guitar
>John Lennon – electric guitar with tremolo
Notice how Clapton is already doing the electric guitar and Lennon's sole "contribution" shows up for like 5 seconds in the coda and could be easily ignored

Where did you get the idea that I think that complexity makes a song better than another?

You didn't write all of those posts because I wrote two of them but ok

George Martin wrote the Bach-esque keyboard part, but the rest is John. It's sometimes difficult to parse how much of a Beatles song is written by one Beatle or another
Then answer why Back Seat of My Car is incapable of making people feel emotions

Attached: 793C8EE1-9CEC-43E9-BE41-7B52D47AA457.png (500x511, 73K)

>Pet Sounds is not expressive
Are you fucking retarded

Ok. Complex lyrics =/= complex music. Where's the mystery here?

I never said it was incapable of bringing out emotions in people, but to say that it's better than anything Lennon did is plain wrong
>Instant Karma

Try and get out more

Compared to In Utero?
No chance

if that user wants to name penny lane im able to namedrop strawberry fields cause it is the superior song

If we're miscommunicating, do we feel the same?

Does trying to have a convoluted conversation make you a more interesting person? No.

Would you not agree that a song that is both complex and expressive is better than a song that is just expressive?

>Then answer why Back Seat of My Car is incapable of making people feel emotions
I can't answer a non-sequitur when BSOMC makes me feel emotions. Notice how McCartney sets up the triumphant horns in the mid-section with the similar arrangement on Long Haired Lady's freeing "love is long, love is long" outro. He's setting up an emotional association so that when he reprises the device in BSOMC for a flash, you recall the triumph of that outro. You can actually find elements of nearly every song on the album reprised or mirrored in BSOMC in some way, it's genius and makes me feel so fucking good, like the end of a journey when you're still on that high and before you start the reflection.

Did John and Paul always sing the songs that they predominantly wrote? Are there any songs entirely (or mostly) written by John that Paul sang and vice-versa?

I used to know this shit when I was younger and The Beatles were *literally* the only music I listened to but I'm drawing a blank trying to think of any examples

Paul wrote both Every Little Thing and Wait, both of which feature John on lead.

Yeah he wasn't exactly subtle with his metaphors lol

>Paul wrote both Every Little Thing
Im pretty sure john wrote some parts of it

I was praising BSOMC, not shitting on it

Does being rude on an internet forum make you a better person? No.

Oh, most definitely. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying Daniel Johnston or Jandek is better than Mozart. Within the frame of "Name a better song than Backseat of My Car" versus the world..

Rain is a less egregious case as Lennon did a lot in it but there was this dispute:

>The backwards vocals are Lennon singing the lyrics of the song: "When the sun shines", "Rain", and "If the rain comes, they run and hide their heads."[17] Both Lennon and producer George Martin claimed credit for the idea.
>Both Lennon and producer George Martin claimed credit for the idea. Lennon said:
>"After we'd done the session on that particular song – it ended at about four or five in the morning – I went home with a tape to see what else you could do with it. And I was sort of very stoned and tired, you know, not knowing what I was doing, and I just happened to put it on my own tape recorder and it came out backwards. And I liked it better. So that's how it happened."[18][19]

>Martin remembered it differently:
>"I was always playing around with tapes and I thought it might be fun to do something extra with John's voice. So I lifted a bit of his main vocal off the four-track, put it on another spool, turned it around and then slid it back and forth until it fitted. John was out at the time but when he came back he was amazed."[11][14]

I liked "God Only Knows" better when it was called "Be My Baby"

Rain is so fucking good. John was a genius on this one.

Very underrated song desu

>In Utero is more expressive than Pet Sounds
See

>anti-depressants vs a junkie on the edge

but it is expressive. No one Said otherwise

Penny Lane is much heavily McCartney. Even the horn arrangement comes from Martin transcribing McCartney humming the melody line to him, with the solo from him asking specifically for the piccolo trumpet to play the melody.

>praising BSOMC
>Then answer why Back Seat of My Car is incapable of making people feel emotions
>incapable

You need to learn reading comprehension and understand that I am responding to someone, not making isolated statements.

Reminder that She Said She Said is the best beatles song.

Pet Sounds is the most expressive album ever fucking made and the idea that the collection of 60s posers like the Beatles, the VU, Bob Dylan, Zappa or whatever even come close to matching how emotional and naked it is, much less some shitty Pixies clone is fucking laughable. It is the equivalent of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony with the most personal lyrics ever penned.

Then according to my lack of reading comprehension, I think you meant to use "explain how" when you wrote "answer why"?

what the fuck is even going on in this thread any more

>Pet Sounds is the most expressive album ever fucking made
Literally the most overrated album of all time along with Peppers

>Sister Ray’ was done as a joke – no, not as a joke, but it has eight characters in it and this guy gets killed and nobody does anything
>no, not as a joke
>not as a joke
t. beatles apologist schmuck

these songs are nothing alike

Pepper is indeed shit but no, Pet Sounds is underrated if anything. If you rockists got off your circlejerk once in a while to see the emotional core of Pet Sounds, you'd realize it outstrips every album outside of maybe classical in terms of sheer weight and power

>Pet Sounds is underrated if anything
KEK

You only meme because deep down you know it's true and you don't know how to respond

>it's true and you know
It's literally the MOST overrated album of all time. It's very good, indeed, but far from being incredible. You're probably just too tourist and haven't made contact with some other obviously better stuf

They're synonymous
SMiLE is better my man

like that band chrome

I mean, really, no other band or artist even comes close to this youtube.com/watch?v=717EknRsqqQ and it's not even top 5 songs on the album. How the fuck Pet Sounds is ONLY #8 on RYM despite nothing above comparing to it is a joke.

I didn't like SMiLE, it's aimless and clearly still in the planning stage

Can understand that, but I think the songwriting is generally superior on the finished stuff (Surf's Up, Good Vibrations, Heroes and Villains, Cabin Essence e.t.c.)

Boring Beatles vs Banana thread gets taken over by the clearly superior artist, absolutely based

Nah, most of those are still pretty aimless (esp. Heroes and Villains), and apart from Cabin Essence none of them are really a song and have a good melody through the entire way

t. zoomer square

lol nigga do you even Van Dyke Parks?

what?

I can see where you're coming from with Heroes and Villains, but I wouldn't say the modular structure makes them 'not songs'. Surf's Up is definitely Wilson's greatest accomplishment, such a perfect harmony between music and lyrics.

>started off as a bait Beatles vs Velvet Underground thread
>quickly devolved into Paul vs John
>took a sharp left turn into Lennon is an actual hack
>slight detour into "a benis is a warm gun" alley
>now debating the merits of Pet Sounds vs In Utero/Sgt Pepper/SMiLE

Attached: colin.jpg (770x779, 79K)

Ehh, Surf's Up has bad lyrics imo, and only the final part has a good melody

Thanks for naming 4 songs with nothing in common with each other homo

reminder that paul wrote this
youtube.com/watch?v=AcQjM7gV6mI

Damn clueless.

Reminder that brian wrote this youtube.com/watch?v=chtmIJ1wYc4
Even the instrumentals on Pet Sounds are better youtube.com/watch?v=SEoKf52h9ok

>Even the instrumentals on Pet Sounds are better

brian didn't write most of the songs on pet sounds himself. tony asher co-wrote most of the album.

I like how no one can even logically disagree when I post songs from Pet Sounds, you guys are just tsundere

Maybe I'm Amazed is such a good song it makes my head spin

Those high notes he hits are insane. Objective proof that Paul McCartney is the greatest singer in the history of popular music.
>b-but muh Memecury
We can't even confirm that Freddie's vocal range really spanned four octaves, but Paul McCartney's vocals have been confirmed to range from A1 to C6.

on fucking Golden Slumbers alone McCartney shows a greater vocal range than 99% of singers. Especially nowadays. And that range was equally matched by this songwriting abilities. Maddening that he was writing songs like Helter Skelter and Blackbird and Martha My Dear and Obi-la-Di Ob-la-Da in the same period of time.

>god-tier vocalist
>god-tier songwriter
>god-tier bass player
>pretty great lead guitarist
>pretty good drummer
>great arranger
>great producer
>literally the only criticism people can give (musically speaking) is that he has lazy lyrics

Paul is the GOAT of music. (That's why he called his best album Ram).

its a play on A PENIS IN A WARM BUM, a very scouse phrase. I guess the slang didnt travel well

Hey Jude reaches literal soprano territory. It's beyond the range of most women, nevermind most men.

He has a fantastic talent for naturally feeling out cyclic form and that's actually extremely difficult. As for his lyricism, he has always relied on storytelling devices, which frankly aren't so lazy, they're just not what most would see as fantastic lyricism. He's the GOAT pop musician, no doubt.

>242 posts
>55 ip's

The mark of master bait.

>see Macca last year
>plays for about 2.5 hours; 40 song set
>was an absolutely incredible experience, one of the best concerts I've ever been to
>some moments brought tears to my eyes

He's a king

So I take it that it was a good experience Fuh You? :^)

:^)

Everyone hates that song but I actually enjoyed it live. But maybe it's because at that point I was already feeling the happiest I'd felt in a long time

>I actually enjoyed it
The absolute state of Yea Forums

/thread

You know, Fuh You might be bad, but anybody who cancels Paul now for writing Fuh You must have overlooked all the bad songs he's written before.
It's just the Paul experience: you take the really fucking good, actual genius, with the bad. It's been like that since the beginning.

But you did say:
>If you think the Beatles had ANYTHING to do with the Velvets, read a fucking book
Which was rude and wrong and then you try to move the goalposts, which makes you a bit of a cunt and an obviously stupid one at that.

>don't discuss music goyi- er, incels

it's about heroin, genius

I think he still got it across with "Mother Superior jumped the gun"

cringe

The "I need a fix because I'm going down" part is, yes. The part where he starts having sex isn't, other than him also being on heroin while doing so.

>Yeah, I can't find it right now but the interview where McCartney talks about how during a showing of the Let it Be film in the years after Lennon got murdered, the audience actually booed where he showed up in the film is heartbreaking.
That honestly is heartbreaking. Paul's had to put up with so much shit. But, in the end, he's still alive!
>People don't realize how much the business relationship between Lennon and Jann Wenner (editor of Rolling Stone and avid Lennon fan) essentially meant that the media and music culture was always going to tip towards Lennon's side of the story.
This is actually a very good point that never even crossed my mind. I knew that the whole "John genius, Paul granny" dichotomy was pushed by critics, but I thought that they all just happened to be rockist assholes viewing the '60s through a '70s/'80s rockist asshole lens. I did not consider that it was a coordinated effort by Jann Wenner, the ur-rockist asshole, to push a rockist asshole agenda, but that makes even more sense than all critics just happening to have the same opinion.

Bow before the God:
>youtube.com/watch?v=7f7D2_jUkqA
>youtube.com/watch?v=7ypxnhLxIUs
>youtube.com/watch?v=VO3NZWe77sI
>youtube.com/watch?v=lAxqvqT6ZfM
>youtube.com/watch?v=Vkr67wOveEk
Completely different styles, all perfectly composed. Oh yeah, and let's not forget how the only reason anyone remembers half of Harrison's songs is because he was contributing shit like this and making them god-tier:
>youtube.com/watch?v=iQq6zw7fXYQ

>bang bang shoot shoot
both slang for injecting smack

>when I hold you in my arm
you don't hold a gun in your arm (or a penis)

>and feel my finger on your trigger
pushing down on the plunger

and apparently mother superior is some sort of shooting gallery slang that I'm not familiar with,

John himself grew to hate Wenner after Wenner published the Lennon Remembers interview as a book even though Lennon didn’t want him to. When John and Paul met up in 1974 they sent Wenner a picture of the two of them hanging out with a note saying “How Do You Sleep?”

beatlesbible.com/songs/happiness-is-a-warm-gun/
Not that user but:
>Happiness Is A Warm Gun was another one which was banned on the radio – they said it was about shooting up drugs. But they were advertising guns and I thought it was so crazy that I made a song out of it. It wasn't about 'H' at all.
>On, well, by then I'm into double meanings. The initial inspiration was from the magazine cover. But that was the beginning of my relationship with Yoko and I was very sexually oriented then. When we weren't in the studio, we were in bed.
>The double-speed 'Mother Superior jump the gun' section, meanwhile, was inspired by his infatuation with Yoko Ono. Mother Superior was a name he used for her, and 'jump the gun' could be interpreted as a sexual metaphor.
I mean, Lennon could just be pulling a Lou Reed though.

Fuck that part at 0:36 into Penny Lane is so beautiful I almost teared up

lol imagine comparing happiness is a warm gun to one of the greatest tracks of all time

I don't believe a word that faggot says tbqh.
plus I'm always right, so he doesn't make any sense.

While 0:53 hits in While My Guitar Gently Weeps after the gradual foreshadowing

Attached: giphy.gif (480x270, 1.47M)

3:40 is even better payoff

k

yep

lol imagine comparing a song in 4/4 to a song in 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 9/8, 5/4, 3/8, 10/8, 9.555/2.1 and polyhedron rhythms.

Sister Ray and Revolution 9 are totally different. Revolution 9 is a sound collage which Zappa was doing far better at the time. Sister Ray is a degenerate experimental rock epic

So are Happiness and Heroin, OP is a faggot

It becomes obvious how much is going on in HIAWG when you look at the outtakes youtube.com/watch?v=y0uoakDesgo and they've got the structure 100%, but the song still feels all over the place compared to the studio version

How mad would this board be if the Beatles were given the Bohemian Rhapsody treatment?

Attached: AFB49C99-508E-46A6-95F4-F3C538B90516.jpg (720x1080, 61K)

youtube.com/watch?v=g0irKUtaCaU

>the same 4 recycled songs
What is with Hollywood? Do you not realize songs like Rain, Tomorrow Never Knows, A Day in the Life, etc. are also popular?

They'll never get a movie about them and their heyday, solely focused on them that's why there's things like "I Want To Hold Your Hand" "Nowhere Boy", "Hours and Times", "Lennon Naked", you know doesn't really tell the full story or feature any of their music!

A full Beatles biopic is basically impossible and has no mass appeal. You can't cover everything from Hamburg to Beatlemania to psychedlia to business issues and breakup in a single movie and have it all make sense. You'd have to have Brian Epstein's death, Stu Sutcliffe's death, the self-establishment and failure of their Apple label, India, London's avant-garde scene, and focus on all four characters vs just Freddie Mercury. And that's assuming you skip everything interesting about Hamburg (the condom burning, losing virginity with the rest of the band watching, getting deported twice).

That's why can't make a Hendrix or a Joplin movie, that fully do them justice. All By My Side focuses on when Jimi first came to England.
The Rose was made because they could not get the rights to Janis's (The Pearl) story.
Did you here about "Stardust" the David Bowie movie that is not featuring his music?

It could only be done right as an HBO miniseries.

I think it's work as a series of music videos, this is my imagined tracklist:
1. youtube.com/watch?v=KZSJPbNk9Zs for Hamburg
2. youtube.com/watch?v=nGbWU8S3vzs for 1963 Beatlemania
3. youtube.com/watch?v=AMSiHdrHl0g for 1964 Beatlemania
4. youtube.com/watch?v=D7jnrdQvqgg for them getting tired of touring
5. youtube.com/watch?v=RiTwf45cH6M and
6. youtube.com/watch?v=YBcdt6DsLQA for them reflecting
7. youtube.com/watch?v=cK5G8fPmWeA for getting into LSD
8. youtube.com/watch?v=ELlLIwhvknk for McCartney and Asher's relationship
9. youtube.com/watch?v=pHNbHn3i9S4 for the shit they went through during 1966
10.youtube.com/watch?v=2zc3idF_IZ0 for Harrison getting out of drugs and the Beatles becoming hippies
11.youtube.com/watch?v=aXNY4NddrLo for Epstein's death and the resulting power vacuum
12.youtube.com/watch?v=I4xw_Dx0pIg for going to India
13.youtube.com/watch?v=nIR6AAjEg5U for Lennon getting into heroin and Yoko
14.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk1hCSA89fc for the White Album sessions
15.youtube.com/watch?v=yp5elOxcT34 for Harrison feeling left out
16.youtube.com/watch?v=BpndGZ71yww for their business failures and Klein
17.youtube.com/watch?v=AcQjM7gV6mI to The End for a conclusion
A lot of important music is missing but for just the story I think that's all you need.

>"Stardust" the David Bowie movie that is not featuring his music
No, but everything about that description is cringe