Is 20 too old to learn the piano?

I already know how to play guitar. I’m just kinda discouraged because my brothers been playing piano since he was six and he can play all sorts of complex pieces, and I’d feel embarrassed playing Mary Had A Little Lamb 200 times
Also, how many octaves are in a typical piano piece. I was gifted a little midi keyboard that only has two octaves on the keyboard at one time (pic related), would I be able to play most piano pieces on it, or would I need a full keyboard?

Attached: 2A585BA6-93DA-498F-A899-AE5BDF6BC7C7.jpg (1000x1000, 97K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&t=0s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

You're never too young but you may have missed out on certain talent.

youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&t=0s
Ryo was self taught at 22

No, but expect to invest 2 hours every day for 6 months before you are actually good.

Well that’s reassuring, thanks anons!
Now what about the octaves thing? Could I play for example a regular Beethoven sonata on my little two octave midi keyboard, or do I need all 88 keys to play most pieces?
That’s no problem, I practice guitar a lot and I’ve gotten pretty good.

>would I be able to play most piano pieces on it, or would I need a full keyboard?

I have the same one and play it with the octave shift buttons

lol you will want a full size keyboard if you want to play actual piano pieces and not just synth lines

If you're serious, get a full keyboard. Even with beginner pieces, you'll always be missing the octave above/below Middle C. Practice scales, triads, arpeggios, and beginner pieces with this and if you want to commit to practicing and getting better than invest in a full keyboard.

i mean you can technically shift octaves but that is absolutely not a good way to learn piano... you will not be able to convince anyone that learning on a 32 key mini midi controller is ideal.

20 is too old to live your life, kill yourself

:(

to play piano you need a full weighted keyboard, which usually only come in full size

Beethovens piano had like 20 keys
Thats enough

Piano teacher here. Nigga you're young as fuck, just get a good teacher, have patience and CONSISTENCY. Oh and stop felling embarrased if you hear some 10 year old kid playing Liszt. Stop being a faggot and start practicing. Also get a full sized keyboard.

>my brothers been playing piano since he was six and he can play all sorts of complex pieces, and I’d feel embarrassed playing Mary Had A Little Lamb 200 times

you shouldn't be embarrassed. your brother has had several years of more practice, not to mention they were years when he probably had more time each day to practice since he started as a child, when most people have very few responsibilities. it's only natural for you to take years to get to a level where your playing abilities are comparable.

that was a joke dude, youre never too old to do anything. Im 27 and am gonna drop my first piano ep soon after not playing for like 8 years

>just get a good teacher
How do I know if a teacher is good?

>Practice scales, triads, arpeggios, and beginner pieces
I’ll keep all these terms in mind

The only surefire way to know is to attend a lesson or two with them and see if the two of you jive well together, if you find their instruction easy to understand. Qualifications don't hurt either, they'll be happy to tell you how long they've been playing and stuff like that. Although that doesn't necessarily translate to teaching ability, it's still better to have an experienced teacher than not.

I'd start by seeing if there are local music schools near you, or instrument shops that also offer teaching. Many of them offer lessons to anyone of any skill level. Don't feel embarrassed that you can't play anything yet, they have lots of adult students picking up instruments for the first time. It's not uncommon at all. I started learning violin this way in my twenties.

na its not,, i started when i was 18 about to turn 19,, im 22 now & i could say im very stellar at keys, just not really great at reading sheet music though