I don't know anything about the history of music, so I'm wondering

What caused the huge shift in musical taste during the 20th century? I feel like, while music tastes always changed, there is a sense of continuity from medieval music to Baroque music to Romantic music. Bach, Beethoven, and Brahams all have their own unique style (both from their own sensibilities and from the musical culture surrounding them), but you can see how one naturally leads to another. However, once you get to the 1920s music completely changes in a way that has no continuity with the music that came before it. Even modern classical music sounds completely detached from the periods before it. What gives? Why did music change so suddenly in the 20th century?
Pic related, it's me

Attached: bike brainlet.jpg (326x294, 18K)

Probly mass media- radio, tv etc

Two things:
>technology
>death of tonality (when speaking about classical music)

Also see

imperialist culture industry. Modern "culture" is a scientific experiment in manipulation and mental enslavement created by internationalist plutocracts who have come to the conclusion that global conquest through conventional warfare is not feasible.

woa.. woke bro

Be as sarcastic as yoou want, doesn't change the fact that the world is rapidly moving away from local cultures to a singular global unit, from cultures based around building on top of the old to that which is engineered to be consumed and discarded within a short cycle. It's specifically designed to multiply, spead, and take over, like a cancer.

the "break" of the fin de siecle in europe is really not so strongly detached from the rest of western art music as you're making it out to be, op. listen to some romanticism into impressionism into expressionism and you'll start to see the links as far as the avant-garde modern classical stuff goes. and there was a whole neoclassical movement that continues to inform through minimalism into contemporary composing practice on the tonal side.

the rest of what you're experiencing is just that the music of the people of the past is not as well documented as the formal traditions that would get written down and preserved, and now many more people have access to their idiosyncratic types of music being heard. but there is an obvious sonic rupture with the introduction first of electrified instruments and then the full move into synthesizer music that expanded the boundaries for what could even go into a musical piece that accounts for the hugely heterogeneous nature of music now. not too complicated. if you can have literally any sound be part of a composition, there's really no limits for how out there you can be.

but there is an interesting thing where there's still moves to explore the capabilities of different kinds of ensembles to recreate sounds. zeitkratzer's play pres is a cool example of a contemporary ensemble being able to recreate sounds that were thought only possible on tape in the middle of the twentieth century. anthony braxton's ghost trance music stuff continues on some really interesting innovations in use of voice carrying on from a tradition i know much less about but would say is similarly interesting as when schoenberg first recommended singers speak-sing on pierrot lunaire.

based schizo

Or rather, humanity has a natural desire to join together and unite, and this has only been feasible on a global level within the last 50 years, so the change is faster than you are comfortable with

Doesn't necessarily sound like a bad thing though.

Join together and unite in what? Bonds are created through meaningful connections, culture, history, and relationships that are built upon things that are valued. Modern culture seeks to spread the mental virus of nihilism, disposable trends that don't mean anything to anyone. How can you "unite" with something that you don't care about, something that is entirely disposable to you? Globalism is entropy. All the social energy holding together people in meaningful bonds is dissipated until everyone is united through alienation.

>Modern culture seeks to spread the mental virus of nihilism, disposable trends that don't mean anything to anyone
What are you referring to, specifically?

Jews

>humanity has a natural desire to join together and unite
hahahahaha no

one thing: audio recording
audio recording was only starting to be used in music around the time of the 20th century
this birthed popular music (jazz, pop, contemporary folk, rock, rap), and experimental music (which started electronic music with electroacoustic and tape music). before you could record music, the only way of reproducing music was by writing it down a score on a sheet of paper (classical music) or singing a folk song and have it spread mind to mind (folk music)

Why not?

Who is to say someone, or a group, created this thing you are talking about. Isn't it possible we created ourselves?

Is that why we browse Yea Forums then?

modern music is the natural continuation of folk and blues music
recording and music business just speeded things up

Explain pop

i dont know

Attached: Download (2).png (834x598, 101K)

(((record labels)))

"pop" is actually a watered down and mixed up version of other genres to make catchy songs

>2 informed replies over 20 other replies of people who just make shit up
these are the people that judge your music taste

>If it's an answer I don't like, it's not informed
kek

>da juice xdddddddddddddddd
>informed
lol

if all modern music is JEWS then why are you posting here and not on a classical music forum

yeah its amazing how klezmer music's been mainstream since the Jews came

Whom are you quoting?
>if all modern music is JEWS
It's not.

>Whom are you quoting?
do you act stupid on purpose or something

Based Jews.

Attached: malar.jpg (456x599, 51K)

>three out of 30 replies
Wow yeah. Amazing.

>all 30 replies were answering OP's question
Retard.

Nice goalpost shifting

That's not what that means but okay retard. You know very well what Yea Forums's demographic is like and so cut the crap, dumbass.

>That's not what that means but okay retard.
Of course it is. Original user never mentioned "answering OP's question", so you were in fact shifting goalposts by adding that to your argument when it wasn't there before.

Maybe you should understand word before you use them?

There wasn't any shift, folk music just emerged into pop music

Because I have a shit ton of cognitive dissonance about it
I’m literally brainwashed but I know that I’m brainwashed, and I lack the willpower to do anything about it