Mark Hollis (1955 - 2019)

He passed away today. God bless him and all he's done for music. If you haven't listened to Talk Talk and his solo material, do yourself a favor and do so.

R.I.P.

Attached: markhollis.jpg (1440x810, 540K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/thethe/status/1100099581927477248
youtube.com/watch?v=LWSPopbVavw
youtube.com/watch?v=w1tgcpo2N54
youtube.com/watch?v=BI_c7hflLhY
youtube.com/watch?v=gdAB4ZD98zM
youtu.be/w1tgcpo2N54
youtu.be/tSg2OIFum3o
youtube.com/watch?v=TyZLcHtvISg
youtube.com/watch?v=XQAOdpj7lm4
youtube.com/watch?v=8_KK3-0HbBQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0i_ZhYkqjg
youtube.com/watch?v=LuYNidNgQic
youtube.com/watch?v=qAlLQaDXc4I
youtube.com/watch?v=7yoAndQ9qic
mega.nz/#F!mWA0HQrS!8eFjUQlq67k4a1bQiWd8uQ
youtu.be/AMBg1e7qZvQ
youtube.com/watch?v=5ixRWvrkUHo
youtube.com/watch?v=GFAtr81C8kE
youtube.com/watch?v=WzjD31oOyfY
mega.nz/#F!aKRCDQzJ!fPD7F2J-L5YzNP-m2KMLLg
mega.nz/#F!COZGEARD!SWlyw3uhjsKs3M1PWkJwJQ
youtube.com/watch?v=ISjg71jSnLg
youtube.com/watch?v=fjnayJBrcrA
youtu.be/fqqcByDHRCo
youtube.com/watch?v=k9ldqE8H8eE
youtu.be/-dQKxVeLUco
youtube.com/watch?v=Aly1z9OmwNs
youtube.com/watch?v=6hHnOBlwU3A
youtube.com/watch?v=i7OEvo-GjUg
youtube.com/watch?v=nwkrNNeVTWk
youtube.com/watch?v=cU3xmt8WVpg
youtube.com/watch?v=RQH1i_zZ-_M
youtube.com/watch?v=MKirbC-GCG8
youtube.com/watch?v=YLHpvjrFpe0
youtube.com/watch?v=o5TX-x_AzNM
youtube.com/watch?v=rARC2TU7VjI
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/spirit_of_talk_talk/
youtube.com/watch?v=-dQKxVeLUco
youtu.be/Uw0rzonn8qA
youtube.com/watch?v=ez_BfAAw-10
vocaroo.com/i/s0Gz964FCG88
youtube.com/watch?v=yWQezjGjiqs
youtube.com/watch?v=gFBcSMPTE-o
twitter.com/nprmusic/status/1100346547030642688
youtube.com/watch?v=avIN3-VY6ws
youtube.com/watch?v=7M0_vdOvnVs
noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/j5be53/mark-hollis-talk-talk-retire-disappear-reunions
pitchfork.com/news/talk-talks-mark-hollis-dead-at-64/
youtube.com/watch?v=3wNW60eXnaU
thewire.co.uk/in-writing/essays/mark-hollis-a-life-by-rob-young
theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/26/musicians-on-mark-hollis-he-found-hooks-in-places-im-still-trying-to-fathom
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Fuck!

Please don't be true
Please don't be true
Please don't be true
Please don't be true
Please don't be true

bump I'm also a fan of Tears for Fears and Naked Eyes

spirit of eden is THE GOAT album. I am hoping this is just a rumor.

WHAT THE FUCK

he literally solved music with laughing stock.

At only 64 too. What a visionary. Rest in peace.

twitter.com/thethe/status/1100099581927477248

really hope it's just a rumour

Really, really hope this isn't true

Damn. Hopefully it's just a rumor.

he was pretty off the grid, I feel like there would be a small amount who knows before big news actually breaks out. sad but I think it is real.

I really hope this isn't true but if it is then RIP, he was an absolute genius. Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock and his solo album are all masterpieces.

Attached: laughing-stock.jpg (400x400, 38K)

talk talks pop shit was better
post rock is gay

Do you guys think he hasn't released anything in 20 years because he's been sick?
Probably won't be official confirmation until news outlets care enough to seek an official statement from family as he had zero social media channels but more and more musical contemporaries have started posting their tributes

RIP Mark

Nah he pulled a Kate Bush and went for the proper family life

Jeremy Larson, P4K editor has put up tribute tweets, he's probably trying to source the news right now

Mods pls sticky. A tremendously important and accomplished artist.

best song ever

youtube.com/watch?v=w1tgcpo2N54

F

Literally who?

Attached: 594c1502148af12837fe2d911477e4b0eb5f0ce209cccffd6210cc65dee70f31.jpg (1183x1730, 262K)

nigger

Read the OP you plebian

NAAAAATURE'S SON
DON'T YOU KNOW HOW LIFE GOES ON

Attached: DXCy2EAWsAAM-GB.jpg (1200x1199, 99K)

Nobody official has said anything apart from The The. I'm hoping this is just a rumour bros

Attached: 1548924367692.jpg (1024x681, 203K)

>hanaposter
discarded

>no official sources
>just a bunch of people on twitter saying they “heard” it
I refuse to believe it

graham sutton (bark psychosis)
tim hope (directed talk talk videos)
pitchfork editor

basically confirmed dudes :(

Now that the dust has settled, was Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock a greater masterpiece?

Spirit of Eden, if only because it was first

NO FUCK OFF YOU MOTHERFUCKING FUCK

i like how spirit of eden sounds more sorta orchestral, i dunno

Colour of Spring, Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock, Mark Hollis s/t, I think you could make a good case for any of them being the best

literally whomst'dve

i liked that No Doubt cover on their song. everything else seemed boring

STICKY FUCKING WHEN

>on Yea Forums
>doesn't know Talk Talk

lol wow

STICKY THIS SHIT

I just out on Spirit of Eden and got fucking goosebumps at that first guitar strum

FFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFF
FFF
FFF
FFFFFFFFFF
FFFFFFFFFF
FFF
FFF
FFF
FFF
FFF

Please don't tell me it's true lads
Laughing Stock and his s/t are genuinely some of the most life affirming music I've heard

A literal musical prophet. Fuck. Listen to Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock rather than have some loser on Yea Forums explain it to you.

PLEASE NO

The absolute state of Yea Forums

RENEE RENEE RENEEEEEEEEE.

I miss this lil nigga like you wouldn't believe

Exclaim just posted an article

Massive F if it's true

fuck i cant believe this. rip mark i love you, given us more than we could ever expect. F

F

If this doesn't get stickied holy shit
I've cried to New Grass before for fuck sake
Ascension Day and After The Flood are so beautiful too

F

citing the tweets. still nothing

I'm fucking tearing up revisiting Spirit of Eden. Just such a pleasant album, emotional without being gloomy or melodramatic.

I can never choose, it really does depend what I would rather listen to on a certain day.

rip

Attached: spring.jpg (512x512, 70K)

fuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
time to listen to new grass on repeat
rip

This. The GOAT. F. Sticky now.

Bet you fifty they won't sticky it
(Not that it matters)

EVERYBODY WILL NEEEEEED SOMEOOOOONE TO LIVE BY

Why isn't Laughing Stock in Spotify though?

CELEBRATE IT ANTICIPATE IT

if he's confirmed dead they'll 100% sticky it

But user, it is.

This shit sucks

Ok NME has posted an article now
Still no official statement but i'm losing hope now guys

Not in my country. :(

Fuck.

include me in the cap

PLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE TRUE PLEASEPLEASE DONT BE IM BEGGING YOU

Spirit of Eden obviously

NO FUCKING STICKY?

>While no official confirmation has yet been released, the news has been reported via several media outlets including Louder than War.
fuck fuck fuck

Buy it in a record store and download mp3

BET I'LL BE DAMNED
BUILT THE DEBT I TURNED TWOS UP TODAY

Attached: 01yb7pd2que01.jpg (640x773, 23K)

Spirit of Eden is a top ten record for me, thanks Mark

rest in peace

RIP :(

Talk Talk? but it's a band, they be should be called Sing Sing

reminder that talk talk was original Yea Forumscore and anyone who doesn't know mark is an underage fag. BTFO immediately

it's not confirmed

Nah, he just got pissed off at the music biz. He only turned in his solo album because of contractual obligations.

hope hes up in heaven bros :(

Attached: cry in space.jpg (370x251, 21K)

We'll probs have to wait an hour or 2 for an official statement

crying

F
youtube.com/watch?v=BI_c7hflLhY

Attached: 1549923599178.png (1000x1000, 99K)

>All these people not knowing Talk Talk

ItAOtS and K-pop shit were a mistake

Attached: 1515779264543.gif (329x319, 1.91M)

Just a reminder to anyone to listen to their B-sides on Asides and Besides and Missing Pieces too. There are also B-sides from Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock on there.

Attached: cover.jpg (500x500, 84K)

SOMEONE ORGANISE A LISTENING PARTY
CELEBRATE IT ANTICIPATE IT

everyone do yourself a favor and listen to John Cope from Asides

Obit writers are going to have a hell of a job trying to capture the scope and quality of his genius. If ever an artist embodied the old "dancing about architecture" saw.

rest in peace

Attached: 021.jpg (2024x1468, 1.73M)

There's also this unreleased track from theirs I stumbled upon a while ago
youtube.com/watch?v=gdAB4ZD98zM
Sounds more like something off their first three albums, still nice though

fucking this, seriously hope all of the "literally who"s are memeing

This is a true gem

IT'S A SHAME
SUCH A SHAME

Gonna listen to new grass and cry for an hour brb

youtu.be/w1tgcpo2N54

Come on, don't be retarded. Knowing a band doesn't mean you know the names of its members. Even if I've loved Talk Talk in the past, I probably wouldn't remember Mark's name if it wasn't for the fact he released a solo album under that name that I also enjoy.

Mad, I was just wondering the other day if they'd be one of the increasingly rare bands to not reform.
He's the top trend on Twitter UK right now even if Yea Forums doesn't give a shit.

Kpg here, talk talk is my favourite band

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Attached: 1535389983662.jpg (633x758, 67K)

It's actually real holy shit

this thread didn't age well

I DON'T LIKE TO READ THE NEWS
DO YOU KNOW ANYTHING I'M GOING THROUGH?

the OP literally mentioned he was in Talk Talk and heavily implied he was the force behind the band

youtu.be/tSg2OIFum3o

Literally who? He was never mentioned here at all

6 Music a bit weird right now, clearly Marc Riley knows of the news but they can't mention it nor play Talk Talk until an official confirmation.

Sticky this

Was thinking the same
There's an odd mood to the show

There are Talk talk threads all the time

Not by name. Talk Talk was mentioned a lot though.

eat shit newfag

Attached: 68BC7BEC-C216-4CC0-992B-134279AAEF64.jpg (1099x1195, 479K)

ITS ON WIKIPEDIA

Talk Talk gets posted about fairly regularly considering their age and the fact that they're the opposite of meme music. Everyone who knows their shit is aware of them.

Idk who this nigger is so he must not be that important

Pleb here, listening to their top songs right now and it sounds like if Tears For Fears and Depeche Mode had a baby (both bands I like, no bully about who predates who pls). Shame about the loss, did I never hear this because I'm American or something?

FUCK :(

Why am I not shocked that P4K is still not reporting this? I guess it'd take away from their Oscars coverage.

Weird that a lot of xoomers know Talk Talk as a one hit wonder synthpop band and have never even heard the post-rock albums that made them a favorite of younger hipsters.
I can't think of any other bands like that.

Just when you thought I Believe In You couldn't be anymore emotionally devastating

>did I never hear this because I'm American or something
You've most likely heard It's My Life by them - if anything. No Doubt covered it.

That's their early synth pop stuff. Which is all well and good, but check out their post rock material to get the full picture.

i think that most places aren't until there is some kind of official confirmation

F, have been using this mousepad for 7 years now

Attached: 20190225_145130.jpg (3264x1836, 1.25M)

Radiohead, sort of. Most people cut off at OK Computer if not Creep.

They were a B-tier synthpop band in the UK, but the stuff we all know and love is their post rock, which they released after they'd kind of fallen out of the limelight. Listen to Spirit of Eden front to back, or Colour of Spring if you want something a bit more upbeat.

Don't listen to the most popular songs because thats them in their synth pop phase
My rec is to listen to spirit of eden

OH YEAH
THE WORLD'S TURNED UPSIDE DOWN

Most people only know Creep

you can feel it listening, shit guys :(
color of spring is one of my favorite albums of all time, check it out

Nah their later stuff is getting a fair bit of acknowledgement.

Attached: spirit of eden.png (274x201, 6K)

>tfw you like their synthpop/chamber pop stuff more than Spirit of Eden/Laughing stock

Damn what will blink 182 do without him?

The thought of no Brexit did him in

Based

based

Attached: 420b13e98ff26f601a00e9320bbb884d.png (349x347, 236K)

F

Spirit of Eden blows Laughing Stock's doors off. In fact, Mark's solo album does too. You can tell who actually likes Talk Talk if they think SoE and CoS are better than Laughing Stock. The people who prefer Laughing Stock are mainly genre voyeurs and p4kers.

The chorus in Desire has to be one of the most powerful moments in music

okay but New Grass is one of the best songs ever made by humans

how long til RYM updates their hompage?

):

Attached: Screenshot_20190225-200124.jpg (810x1813, 372K)

Just go back to Rich the Kid and Famous Dex literal nigger

Brooklyn Vegan posted about it. Take that for what it's worth.

wtf why is this not stickied?

>tfw your big policy announcement is eclipsed by real news

Attached: jeremy_corbyn_0.jpg (1400x744, 748K)

New Grass is the greatest post-rock track of all time to me. Glad to see it getting so much love on here. People are usually raving about After The Flood instead.

stupid post. soe got a 10 from them too

New Grass is great. The overall album is very one-dimensional in atmosphere in mood though, and suffers because of it. There isn't anything like the burst of anger in Desire or the sweetness of I Believe in You. Laughing Stock is not a bad album by any stretch. It's just overshadowed by one of the best albums of all-time that came before it.

Severe autism detected. They're all good, shut the fuck up.

This is upsetting. I had accepted the fact that we were never going to get any more music from him, but 64 is no age. I hope he had a good life just being a normal dude raising his family and stuff.

SoE and Laughing Stock are both the joint best album of all time, I always listen to them back to back. Gonna do so and cry now. The Colour of Spring ain't far off them either, genres aside.

Do yourself a favour and listen to London 1986 if you haven't. The renditions of pre-TCoS material have so much more life in them.

All of Talk Talk is great, anyone telling you their early stuff is bad because they only know their last two albums is a moron. The Party's Over is a pretty standard but still enjoyable synthpop album.
youtube.com/watch?v=TyZLcHtvISg
It's My Life and Colour Of Spring are far more refined and creative efforts within synthpop. Don't believe anyone who tells you that you should sleep on those albums.
youtube.com/watch?v=XQAOdpj7lm4
Spirit Of Eden and Laughing Stock are the Yea Forumscore albums. Most prefer Laughing Stock but both albums were landmarks in post-rock going forward.
youtube.com/watch?v=Y0i_ZhYkqjg

I wouldn't go that far- SoE works better as an album, but LS has some incredible moments. Ascension Day, New Grass. Despite dragging a bit in some places it still feels like a near-masterpiece. I'd personally place it above CoS, which I've never been crazy about.

Ariana utterly obliterating George and Mark combined. I mean I get it but I'm still not happy.

I much prefer Spirit of Eden, but i think Runeii is a MUCH better ending than Wealth. They're both incredible albums, though.

Attached: 1382808241652.jpg (800x518, 291K)

yes

That was A-tier synth pop. Pic related has aged way better than anything Depeche Mode, OMD or TFF from the same period.

Attached: 419C07xzv6L.jpg (500x500, 25K)

It's true???????
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Fuck

Another agreeable statement. Talk Talk is legend.

If you don't like all of it then you're a fool.

That's the one I haven't gotten around to listening to- guess I'm obligated to now

It's My Life has some great songs but the recorded versions don't do them justice. The live album is where they shine. Tomorrow Started is GOAT

Living in Another World to You is probably the best pop song of the 80s too. Or Happiness Is Easy. The detail in production on the latter is astounding. Fuck, he was so good.

WHERE IS THE STICKY?

Nooooo

Alright now this is fucking gay. Since when was it cool to like Spirit of Eden and shit on Laughing Stock? Are the same people listening to SoE really deaf to what’s happening on Myrrhman, Taphead and Runeii? Or are they seeing how much New Grass and After the Flood get mentioned and seeing this as an insult to their obscurity? I don’t get it

TAKE GOOD CARE OF WHAT THE PRIESTS SAY
AFTER DEATH IT'S SO MUCH FUN

Attached: fuckmeup.png (1000x1000, 101K)

Spirit of Eden is a more popular album outside of people who read pitchfork, honestly.

Since it's basically confirmed now, RIP to such a fantastic musician, very little music has touched me like his did.
Terribly sad, especially because 64 is just too young to go. I hope he's in a better place now and wish strength and solace to his friends and family.

Retards. Everything from CoS to Hollis s/t is GOAT.

People have different opinions user
Laughing Stock is my favourite personally.

mods plz sticky

how is anyone shitting on them

Wife just confirmed it's a sick hoax.

Doubt this will be stickied, Glenn Branca, Grant Hart and Alan Vega didn't get stickies either and their music is roughly on the same level of popularity on this board

Talk Talk has always gotten me through rough shit, New Grass was cathartic when my dog died. Mark Hollis was a true musical genius, and I hope his family is doing well. We lost a good one today.

Attached: gray.jpg (1910x2275, 1.23M)

This loss is in equivalence to Lou and Bowie for music as a whole. What a precious soul he was. No doubt his family will be broken considering what he put on hold to spend time with them. Bless his entire existence. RIP.

Attached: hollis.jpg (670x715, 75K)

BABY
LIFE'S WHAT YOU MAKE IT
CAN'T ESCAPE IT

Source?

Proof? I want to believe you.

but fucking mac miller got a sticky

Agreed but IML is also a really great synthpop album if you’re into that thing

>The overall album is very one-dimensional in atmosphere in mood though, and suffers because of it.
Strange, I feel that way about Spirit of Eden

Paul Webb aka Talk Talk’s bassist. Closest we have to official word so far.

Attached: D0RvtVhXcAIYBOa.jpg (1241x1831, 238K)

????? post link

it wasn't "people" it was just one b8er

Shit, yeah that'll do it

HELP ME
FIND A WAY THROUGH THIS MAH-HEEEEEZE
I'M LIVING IN ANOTHER WORLD TO YOU

youtube.com/watch?v=qAlLQaDXc4I

how do you even write a hook that massive

people seem to think you can only like one or the other. I'd say they're objectively just as good, just in slightly different ways. Personally like Spirit of Eden a bit more, but still herald Laughing Stock as a fantastic album. Fuck the posers.

Yea but Talk Talk was popular as fuck in the 80s and early 90s. They used to be a Synthpop ffs.

Runeii always sounded like wishing farewell to life to me, those last few notes after those few seconds of silence followed by static and barely audible studio noise got me every time I listened to the record.

He’s dead sadly, this is a tweet by his cousin in law

Attached: E90E042A-3C37-4759-82F5-08EA588102DB.jpg (722x689, 194K)

They just announced it on Radio 6 FFS. It was that wanker Marc Riley, but still ...

Not sure - I thought they deserved them too but Talk Talk is discussed on here a hell of a lot more frequently than those and Mark Hollis really was the driving force of Talk Talk.

Liar

Attached: talk talk.png (1511x223, 10K)

I know it’s not concrete evidence but I’ve seen people say that from time to time. Either way, bait taken I guess

Christcuck doens't like post rock, it's too white sounding for him.

Have You Heard The News
Today
It's So Serious
The Party's Over
Such a shame

:(

please give me a fuckijng source please

I always hoped he'd come out of retirement one day to drop another masterwork and share his genius with the world again.

Feels fucking bad man. I hope he enjoyed the last few years of his life.

Attached: 1465411185095.gif (494x557, 4K)

2018 - mac milar
2019 - mark hollis

This but realising Myrrhman is about suicide..

"The New Wave column designates various alternative, punk, and underground acts that intrigued me, but which I hadn't had the time to explore in depth or else considered just too minor to bother reviewing."

I haven't been this fucked up over a musicians death since Bowie. RIP :^(

Attached: lesinrock2.png (450x580, 514K)

Living in Another World

Attached: tenor.gif (220x213, 131K)

People die...life goes on

I'm just wondering if he had written or recorded anything in the meantime, even just demos - of course I'm sure even if they exist there's a good chance he specified he didn't want them released

Following this his son has just confirmed that his mother was playing a sick joke by telling everybody it was a hoax.

So there we have it, DEATH CONFIRMED.

DEATH CONFIRMED
>DEATH CONFIRMED
DEATH CONFIRMED
>DEATH CONFIRMED
DEATH CONFIRMED
>DEATH CONFIRMED
DEATH CONFIRMED
>DEATH CONFIRMED
DEATH CONFIRMED
>DEATH CONFIRMED

Started listening to Spirit of Eden. I don't get it. It's just generic folk rock.

Jesus man, that was unexpectable like was he suffering from any condition or disease? Cancer? 64 isn't young but it's uncommon to suddenly die if you are healthy.

Well, RIP. Not a big fan, I have only listened to Spirit of Eden (amazing record bt.w) but still sad. Such a talented man.

Fuck this was totally unexpected and hit hard.
Such a Shame is probably my favorite song of all time since I first heard it when I was a kid. And obviously the rest of his discography is amazing.
I particularly like his s/t, I wish it was as praised as Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock, I think it's just as great

i don't know what to say

Nobody knows. Little is known about his life since his retirement in the late 90s

Cause of death has just been confirmed in a tweet by his ex-aunt in law, apparently he pooped his butt

never change Yea Forums

>folk rock
stop

link

So basically a nice way of admitting he thought TT were trash and not worth his precious time reviewing.

I'm always singing Such A Shame to myself at work. It wont be same anymore.

Rest in peace,
Mark Hollis.

Attached: 8b77f2cf3d385affb1e32d1bdeb884fd--serial-experiments-lain-bears.jpg (332x450, 20K)

Shit....

who /airdrummingalongtoascensionday/ here?

post yfw mods won't sticky this thread

Attached: 1548078944559.jpg (411x412, 65K)

WTF i just listened to Talk Talk last night

Attached: 8CC996B7-6EB5-4393-8289-E3492F8FFDE8.jpg (881x587, 79K)

REMINDER THAT JOE JACKSON GOT A STICKY

a much needed kek

Attached: hug.gif (576x240, 3.44M)

no sticky for
>mark hollis
>grant hart
>mark e smith
>3pac
mu is truly dead

Attached: ruff.jpg (1280x720, 79K)

I listened today

STICKY STICKY

Or Peter Tork.

Attached: the tourist.png (252x150, 65K)

>not air-syndrumming to this
youtube.com/watch?v=7yoAndQ9qic

Attached: 217658058002-talk-talk-such-a-shame_music_video_ov.jpg (480x360, 7K)

Attached: 2.jpg (896x994, 83K)

Yeah probably. He didn't put them in the Meltdown or whatever list because he liked the genre.

STICKY THIS ALREADY MODS

It's local news here now , it's fucking real as fuck mods sticky now

Smith got a sticky

I thought MES got one?

His ex-label manager's office janitor has just confirmed in a tweet that a new Talk Talk album now going to be released, incredible news. The new album is called "Brexit Now"

he was extremely based, thank you for all

2pac and Elvis are also alive, living together in New Zealand

Just sticky it already

Leave Means Leave would be a better title

Damn, guess it's true. RIP to a true legend. fuck. Sometimes you never know if you'll wake up in the morning.

STICKY NOW!

I guess I’ll stop putting off listening to Laughing Stock now. I listened to Spirit of Eden a while ago, and while I liked it, I didn’t absolutely fall in love with it like other people did.
How similar are Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden?
>Also
Why is this not stickied?

It'd be nice to know what he did all those years since, even if it wasn't music related. As an artist myself I find it super fascinating when clearly talented people suddenly give up their art

Well how can that be fair at all?

Attached: 300px-Feel_Guy.jpg (300x300, 10K)

Laughing Stock is a much more varied album than Spirit of Eden. Tonally more subtle and stripped down, as well. Hollis' solo album goes even further in that direction

Didn’t know he was that big

Attached: 8A4A766B-C190-4CA8-83F1-FFB48DCE27ED.jpg (449x211, 44K)

Marc Riley covering this story now on R6.

CoS just reported it

The last two records have become a touchstone for album listeners and critics, and even if you're just a gen X mainstream 80sfag you know "It's My Life"

STICKY THIS YOU FUCKING CUNT MODS TALK TALK IS MU AS FUCK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

probably waiting for real confirmation

Gideon Coe is up next and will be playing a lot of Talk Talk, he did that with Buzzcocks when Pete Shelley died.

they had a lot of hit singles. and while the last two albums were commercial failures the influence in later bands ran pretty deep

Thank fuck for Gideon Coe, everyone on earlier than him is usually insufferable or boring

His bassist, cousin-in-law, and music video director are pretty good sources, but it seems like Pitchfork is holding out for an actual publicity statement, which might be hard to get considering it's entirely possible he hasn't had management in two decades

I'm so scared of being in my 50s or 60s one day because of this reason. I can't imagine how people live knowing that they might die any day. Yes I know it's possible regardless of age, but it just gets likelier the older you get. That seriously fucks with me so bad.

Amazing journalism

Attached: hollis death.png (988x738, 297K)

Laughing Stock

Avoid drugs and tabaco, do excersise, go to the doctor every now and then, eat healthy.

>plays New Grass for the next 2 weeks

Attached: 1419464461513.gif (720x480, 397K)

then get an aneurysm any day of your life

Rest in peace, Hollis.

I'm straight edge already. I eat little and am a total skeleton as a result of this, however I refuse to eat fast food or similar crap because it's disgusting. I like cycling every now and then.
But I still hope I can get over this fear somehow until (and if) I reach that age. I'm 19, but thinking that I might have already lived a third of my life is seriously disturbing.

literally listened to his s/t last night. loved it. it's not fair boys

Attached: pain mgmt.jpg (1242x1241, 100K)

>only talking about him because he died

you people are pathetic

WHAT THE FUCK

>The Sun
>journalism
Pick one

Aneurisms fucking terrify me, like the more I think about them I start feeling genuine dread

Talk talk is one of those bands everyone says is great and i've tried to get into but I just cant

user you are going to die no matter what you do. You may as well do something worthwhile and enjoy where you can.

NO HOLY SHIT NOOOOOOO

Have you never experienced a death in the family before user?

it's never too late, user

It's okay user, maybe you'll start liking them someday, maybe not, but it's alright.

>newfag not knowing that Talk Talk has always been Yea Forumscore
sit down cunt

This hurts like a bitch

Probably the most fearless musician of the ladt fifty years, willing to implode effectively limitless wealth to create three albums of absolute transcendence. I’ve never come across music as pure as his self titled abum, and I doubt I ever will.

Attached: 0016F67F-1BAD-485E-9529-4D652774B8E3.jpg (236x177, 9K)

life's what you make it was in gta vice city
i used to listen that song a lot even though it spooked me out

>it's my life it never ends

ha whoops

OH NO NONONO

Lads...

Attached: coolmark.png (500x332, 309K)

/fa/

SHAKE MY HEAD
TURN MY FACE TO THE FLOOR

It will come to you when you need it most

THE BIG SAD. RIP. F.

>tfw when cry-smiling while listening to I Believe in You right now

mark hollis - s/t
mega.nz/#F!mWA0HQrS!8eFjUQlq67k4a1bQiWd8uQ

i'm uploading laughing stock and spirit of eden too but at like 50kb/s so have this for now

whos this? im not a boomer lol

>this interview where Tim Pope and Hollis take the piss out of the interviewer and make up a story on the spot about a fake semi-porn film they're working on called The Green Cagoule

youtu.be/AMBg1e7qZvQ

Attached: 1308342299766.png (258x247, 127K)

this is why you shouldn't allow kpop on this board

>this is why you shouldn't allow kpop on
[2]

>no sticky
Why tho

I used to think Spirit of Eden, but recently I've started to favour Laughing Stock. They're both amazing though.

is it flac? I just downloaded his s/t but I only have like mp3 quality

that is isn't even a korean and they're likely baiting

>STICK
Their early stuff needs more love, but they were never a better pop band than Depeche or OMD. Their later stuff is where they truly shone starting with TCOTS.

SOAR THE BRIDGES THAT I BURNED BEFOOOREEEEE

went straight edge a few weeks ago but it might be time for a drink

Still no news on p4k because R. Kelly and sucking the Oscars' cock is more important kek

no sorry its 320 itd take me ages to upload 3 flac albums

This.
He probably has a back catalog of material hes just never released.

YOU STAND APART
WITH THE SINKING SUNLIIIIGHT

I've only dabbled in Talk Talk's discography and heard his solo album, but rest in peace nonetheless.

Please don't poison yourself, user

WHERE'S THE FUCKING STICKY.

Attached: 1550507232943.png (625x453, 501K)

still an improvement for me, thanks user

Attached: sad bugs.jpg (342x245, 16K)

Stick

Funny guys

He's said before that he'd be content with just playing a single chord on his piano now and again, and he never desired to make another album.

MOOOOOOOOODDDDSSSSS
STICKYYYYYY NOOOOOOWWWW
MOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDSSSS

You 'avin a laff m8?

On that note, Sutton tweeted about the passing, must be hard for him

cringe

>you will never be this content with life
>ever
well I'm happy he spent his final years carefree

Attached: 1545269640526.jpg (960x720, 94K)

Where's the fucking sticky, mods?
Rest in peace, you legend.

Yea Forums + /an/ youtube.com/watch?v=5ixRWvrkUHo

F

Attached: image001.jpg (250x251, 24K)

Why would the mods sticky this? it's not like its mac miller or something

thanks, i'll keep myself from it, friend. no reason to shorten my own lifetime.
completely cutting junk food is tough, but once i manage it, i'll be happy

Attached: critical weapon failure.jpg (495x356, 64K)

fuck mods

fuck...
youtube.com/watch?v=GFAtr81C8kE

Attached: IMG_0921.jpg (400x398, 18K)

I believe in you, user

it took 20 hours but we managed to get mark e smith a sticky
as much as I loved smith and the fall, hollis deserves a sticky sooner

>trusting mods
>in the Current Year

best album ending ever

youtube.com/watch?v=WzjD31oOyfY

i'm optimistic but we never got an ornette coleman sticky so who knows what'll happen

a very nice sentiment. it's patient music and it's there if you ever need it

Attached: 1492428378277.jpg (2000x1600, 172K)

Attached: _20180708_024623.jpg (895x590, 52K)

NOW THAT IT'S OVER
NOW THAT IT'S OVER ;_;

F

taking it to /qa/ for a sticky

>we never got an ornette coleman sticky
tfw one of the most important masters of music doesn't get a sticky but pop musicians like Bowie get one

REST YOUR HEAD

Río

STILL no sticky, well now we know why absolutely terrible threads get to stay up for hours.

It's basically confirmed and still no sticky. Where's tuxedo pepe when you need him?

>first TT track of Gideon Coe's show tonight just started

I'm not ready lads

Attached: 1343585903117.jpg (460x518, 36K)

talk talk - spirit of eden, 320
mega.nz/#F!aKRCDQzJ!fPD7F2J-L5YzNP-m2KMLLg

talk talk - laughing stock, 320
mega.nz/#F!COZGEARD!SWlyw3uhjsKs3M1PWkJwJQ

thanks mark. you got me through some stuff and i will miss you. bye

listening to John Cope

>Post limit
MODS, PLEASE

Attached: 1550322619609.png (1686x1440, 324K)

there's no need to sticky because it's not real right?

thanks partner

Attached: chrysippus happy.png (282x337, 373K)

>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS
>>MODS
MODS

Attached: t59qxsxfmxh21.jpg (750x897, 43K)

mods I swear to god

>thread about to die

Turns out mods were the true Laughing Stock all along

Attached: 1370375269409.jpg (168x192, 4K)

I reported the post, hopefully the mods will stick it. I’m probably getting banned but my sacrifice goes to the memory and music of Hollis

based hero
trying to get on IRC now

I will remember you user, your sacrifice will be in vain

Attached: 1386886113314.gif (235x240, 1.55M)

RIP Mark, great voice.

godspeed user

a worthy sacrifice

Kek in (better times)

Fuck you mods

thank you user. i had only listened to a bit of spirit of eden years ago and planned on coming back to it for a while now. shame it has to be under sad circumstances now.
i did listen to his solo album in full in the the past, at least.

They did it

WE STICKY

so guys we did it...

Thank you 4 sticky jannies, you all right

Attached: apuu.jpg (2000x1600, 222K)

mods came through, well done

yes my IRC badgering must have worked

We did it Reddit!

now what?

thank you user for your heroic sacrifice
you may be gone but you'll never be forgotten

It fucking worked

Thanks for saving this Mr Mod

Literally who?

youtube.com/watch?v=ISjg71jSnLg

Big F.

we post our fav Talk Talk songs

youtube.com/watch?v=fjnayJBrcrA

Thankyou for your service

Attached: 1538604990619.png (476x477, 230K)

Why man?

I couldn't give you a favourite album if I was held at gunpoint, let alone a favourite song

i didn't want this to be a sticky, i refuse to believe this is real

Attached: 1535658146241.jpg (288x252, 24K)

ladies and gentleman, we got em

Attached: 1541510530309.jpg (771x693, 67K)

youtu.be/fqqcByDHRCo

Goddamn I never thought he'd go so soon. Only 64? Goddamn...

I was always hopeful that one day he'd return to music since it was known among friends he was still recording music and getting even more experimental. R.I.P, Laughing Stock still remains an all time favorite.

Attached: 1539398720396.png (640x480, 368K)

F

gutted, love colour of spring, spirit of eden and laughing stock. Never listened to his s/t but been meaning to.

Massive F.
All of Talk Talk's albums were fantastic contributions to pop music.

Better later than never, mods.

It's really good man, you should check it out. It's one of the quietest, slowest albums I've ever heard. He went full minimalist on it.

Thanks mods

Thank you, soldier.

Mods = ok.

rip :/ super influential to some of my favorite artists

I'm really fucking sad right now
youtube.com/watch?v=k9ldqE8H8eE

I refuse to believe there are people here who never heard of Talk Talk, Such a Shame and It's My Life are extremely popular pop songs and Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are basically Yea Forumscore
Mark Hollis is probably one of the most liked and respected artists on Yea Forums

A Life (1955 - 2019)

>is
was

Attached: woj.jpg (205x246, 8K)

Oh what, goddamn rest in piece

He is still liked

His unusual voice turned me off at first but I've come to really appreciate it. It's dynamic, just like the music.

What are the best Talk Talk inspired bands? I tried Bark Psychosis a few years ago but it was kinda boring.

Literally who the fuck is Mark Hollis?

wtf

youtu.be/-dQKxVeLUco

this sounds fucking crazy

he wrote it for a movie but it went unused and then ended up on the TV show "Boss"

Nah, is mate. Mark may be gone but as long as people like us continue to discuss and appreciate his music, he lives eternal

Attached: 1423230205107.jpg (605x717, 143K)

;_;

Go back to plebbit

lol plebbit get it like pleb + reddit

;-;

no...

Attached: sad6ix9ine.png (688x766, 816K)

Try Pygmalion by Slowdive and .O.Rang (formed by Lee Harris and Paul Webb after Talk Talk)

One of my favourite pieces of music ever.

holy fuck
F

>these threads will continue and continue to appear as all who we love die and are replaced by literal whos from reality show contests

well, i'll be that mainstream guy:
youtube.com/watch?v=6hHnOBlwU3A

Spirit, LS is great tho

F F F

I'd give them another shot, they're very similar sound-wise, both make use of empty space and an overall dynamic sound.
If Talk Talk is a beautiful sunrise, Bark Psychosis is the sunset.
While I don't know if I'd put Hex on the same pedestal as Spirit of Eden, it's still a masterpiece of composition and production.

Damn man, just damn.

I was hoping more would come out when I heard about that but nothing happened. I have to wonder now if some of his recordings will come out against his wishes. Their old record label loved to do shit like that without the bands input.

I've always loved Such A Shame

youtube.com/watch?v=i7OEvo-GjUg

Spirit of Eden

RIP in peace

S

youtube.com/watch?v=nwkrNNeVTWk

F

Gonna miss this lil nigga. Been shilling Colour of Spring on here for years, and SoE, LS and s/t are pretty much the best things to come out of music in the past 30-40 years. Better be in Heaven right now lads.
youtube.com/watch?v=cU3xmt8WVpg
The GOAT album closer

Attached: sad_don.png (899x677, 614K)

Fuck now all of his music is just going to feel really sad
RIP to one of the best rock and pop musicians ever

Attached: gone.gif (277x342, 1.99M)

wow. rest in peace, you truly made lovely music. f

based (both great albums though)

I cannot believe mods actually stickied this, actually thank you I can’t believe I’m saying this

This. Everybody raves about the last two albums, but IMO all five are amazingly consistent. Their objectives may have evolved over time, but they always turned out good stuff whatever they tried to do.

Literally the first time I've posted on Yea Forums in years.

The first musician death I'm actually sad about. Every time I heard about someone famous dying, I always said to myself, "At least Mark Hollis is still alive". Maybe now people will finally stop knowing him as the guy who wrote the song Gwen Stefani covered.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Attached: 1543059911078.jpg (1242x808, 36K)

This is absolutely the worst fucking news ever.

Rest up, Mark Hollis. Today, this world says farewell to one of its most compassionate, reverent and daring artists. His early career in the band Talk Talk (formed in 1981) bounces with lush humor and lively synths; after "The Colour of Spring" the band embraced an improvisational warmth inspired by the leader's direction. The first few records hinted at this leap with their sound-inclusive mirth; their later records hearkened back to the glib dance-tunes with a new—or old—wisdom. In an interview he revealed his creative process for these later releases: he'd get the band together and they'd record hours and hours of improvised riffs to be pieced together in production. This method supports a philosophy that our day often leaves behind in favor of "in your face" politics. The other master that instantly comes to mind in comparison who employs this intimate style is film director Terrence Malick (of Badlands, The Thin Red Line; To the Wonder). As well as the Talk Talk catalog Hollis put out a solo record in 1998 which was his final published album before he retired to focus on his family life. I can picture his smile today as he wishes his fellow English legend George Harrison a happy birthday. I can't tell you all how many times a friend has asked me "what have you been listening to these days?" and I'd just respond "oh you know . . .Talk Talk." Thank you, Mark Hollis.

youtube.com/watch?v=RQH1i_zZ-_M

Attached: hollis.jpg (807x454, 41K)

Ok, so I'm listening to The Party's Over again yeah? Linkin Park totally copped this fuckin song, man I tell you what.

youtube.com/watch?v=MKirbC-GCG8
youtube.com/watch?v=YLHpvjrFpe0

Attached: 1458763038718.jpg (774x1032, 148K)

I'll try again tomorrow
Really liking Pygmalion thanks

Most of his songs were kind of sad anyway desu.

One thing for sure is that all 5 albums had a sound they wanted to capture and they did it. I'm not a huge fan of the debut but it is unfairly hated and the second album is really good even if it's a very 80s synthpop album.

oh my god, i don't know what to say this is heartbreaking
F

even their "cheesy" songs like dum dum girl kick fucking ass

>Maybe now people will finally stop knowing him as the guy who wrote the song Gwen Stefani covered.
That pissed me off so much it was unbelievable. Some girls I'd met actually though Stefani wrote it or that her version was better. It made me sick to my stomach.

>Graham Sutton is 47
>still no new Bark Psychosis record

I know that's not terribly old but he's not getting younger. I think I would be forever upset if we never saw a third record

Attached: 1333460821406.jpg (1024x749, 178K)

RIP to an absolute genius. all of his work has such incredible lasting power -- everything from party's over to his solo album i've enjoyed for years and years and years. thank you Mark!

I have no idea what synths they used but they really stood out from other bands of the time. Marks voice was also totally different to anything else.

I'm gonna miss him. He may not have been releasing music but there was always the hope.

Only just started going through the Talk Talk discography recently

F

It's a shame.

Attached: 1325953033012.png (872x595, 47K)

>Life's what you make it

Attached: Adobe_20190225_222953.jpg (1806x960, 165K)

mark milar

Nooooooooooooooooooo

I always hoped we would get one more transcendental album from him, but apparently not :(

Fuck. Never been this sad over a musicians death . He was fucking young . Playing new grass ...fuck

>I'm not a huge fan of the debut
The band's keyboard player left after that record, meaning they couldn't really be a synth-pop act anymore. One big "what if" is how they might have evolved if he'd stayed.

I'd say the director that reflects Mark Hollis' ethics best is Hou Hsiao Hsien (specifically post 1989)

just use soulseek or rutracker

>Hollis once got into a fight with the guy from Spandau Ballet because Hollis referred to everyone in the room, including himself, as scum.

just when I thought he couldn't get any more based

F

legend

our king

Source? Never heard this before and he seems to shy to be so forefront.

laughing stock is perfect

What a terrible start to the week

Mark Hollis was one of the absolute greatest musicians of all time, but I respected him more for quitting while he was ahead. He was one of the few people that just said, "I've done all I've needed to do, so I'm done", and actually quit and never look back to leave behind the massive and respectable legacy he did.

I'm 100% okay with the fact we never got any new music from him after his s/t, and all I can hope is that he enjoyed his life in absolute privacy away from an ever-changing world that needs to know everything about everyone in the age of social media.

RIP

Attached: 755.jpg (1266x1280, 280K)

He executed probably the greatest vanishing act in pop music history, no reunion tours, no 'comebacks', nothing, and I imagine he turned down numerous lucrative offers to do so. Absolute don.

agreed 100%

Pitchfork review of SOE

Has scruffy said anything yet?

I will never forget you mark, your music has and will give my bitter life a taste of radiant relief. I hold these recordings in open heart until I meet an end of my own. Thank you for everything. Heaven bless you.

So who is this guy and why are people pretending to know who he is?

A TIME TO SELL YOURSELF
A TIME FOR PASSING
J U S T

Agreed, Mark is my role model in life. Do your thing, make a mark on the world, vanish to live in comfort.

rip

I heard Richard Blade announce it on the SiriusXM new wave channel. Made some top tier music.

Is Spirit of Eden’s A side the greatest A side of all time

I always felt he was the perfect role model for art and music. No compromises, ever. EMI got all pissed off about Spirit of Eden and he refused to make something mainstream and just wanted to make what he wanted.

A side - Spirit of Eden
B side - Meddle

F

i think so. it's so good some CD pressings made the whole thing one track

Kek the Talk Talk/Pink Floyd split that would've destroyed the world

it hurts bros

Attached: pp,550x550.jpg (550x469, 42K)

IT'S MY LIFE
DON'T YOU FORGET

Attached: crying frog.jpg (793x786, 54K)

rip my dude im drunk af today

A Life is one of his most beautiful songs

IT'S MY LIFE
IT NEVER ENDS

Attached: 1510339642334.jpg (552x554, 38K)

Really hope this isn't true. Mark hollis seriously changed the way modern rock music is made and nobody really gives him credit he deserves. Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are both masterpieces. Sad day for music if this is true.

Have You Heard the News? It's So Serious.
I Hate to say it but The Party's Over for Mark Hollis.
The Talk Talk singer passed on to Another World Today.

based way to go

It's true my dude. His brother in-law posted about it as he did his own family, that's how everyone found out.

BABE

LIFE'S

WHAT

YOU

MAKE

IT

Attached: 4c66e983928e3deb660f6830f0181901.jpg (480x360, 18K)

Such a Shame

i already miss this lil nigga like you wouldn't believe

That's fucking hilarious. Give Spandau Ballocks one from me, Mark ...

Sad to hear this

>the absolute madman did this during Spandau Ballets peak of popularity
Sad that it's only now that I'm finding out how based he was.

What the fuck, this just came out of nowhere
F

Attached: 1550377443877.png (378x406, 247K)

not a surprise, last time he had a spotlight on him was over 20 years ago.

man i had never listened to this guy before, currently listening to "l believe in you" and fuck this is good.
im sorry i waited so long mark.
F

Attached: 7aaadc3e762e0749c7d68f8c1fee78ed.png (268x125, 65K)

Listen to After The Flood. It's considered his masterpiece.

Oh boy, you're in for a fun ride. Listen to Talk Talk's first album (The Party's Over) and go in order untily ou reach Mark Hollis' s/t, it's definitely worth it.

RIP to the mastermind behind my favourite album ever. Normally I try not to listen to it too often so it holds its power for me but I'm absolutely listening to it right now

Here's a great (and rare) interview with him by the way

Attached: cover.jpg (500x500, 51K)

i believe in you is beautiful. even the title is beautiful

I don't really listen to post-rock. The only stuff I listen to occasionally is Starlafur by Sigur Ros. Would I even enjoy Talk Talk?

Depends who you ask, opinion always varies between After the Flood and New Grass. I prefer the former much more though.

me too! I just put on Spirit of Eden and I'm honestly blown away

I mean, Sigur Ros are probably more influenced by Talk Talk than most other post-rock

Shit
Guess it's time to listen to his solo album tonight then

it's not post rock as most people know it today, more a mix of krautrock, ambient and spiritual jazz

Surely A Life is considered his masterpiece?

Spirit of Eden is literally the greatest album ever produced. FUCK.

Wish I could've done this. I discovered It's My Life first and only heard Party's Over many years later since I'd heard it wasn't that good.

After The Flood will always be what I consider their masterpiece. It's pure perfection.

F

*blocks ur path*

Attached: Laughing_stock.jpg (225x225, 17K)

i've never quite seen them as a post-rock group though i understand they laid some of the foundation with their last two albums. their first two albums are synthpop, colour of spring is an art-rocky transitional thing and the last two are i guess that kind of proto-postrock style. it's hard to pin down. give it a shot?

Laughing Stock is the greatest rock album ever - Spirit of Eden is a fantastic stepping stone though

RIP to a genius. His music got me through a very dark time in my life

Laughing Stock definitely is post-rock. I guess you could argue SoE is art rock with heavy post-rock development in there, but I still consider it both. SoE is honestly more accessible than people give it credit for.

Bands like Sigur Ros and Radiohead would not exist if not for Mark Hollis.

Just listened to After The Flood.

>all this positivity and great music
>people discovering his work for the first time
>obscure videos and tidbits being posted, everyone finding even more to love about the guy

Truly based thread

Attached: 1326652652253.jpg (180x186, 9K)

What did you think?

Attached: blade-runner-2049.jpg (1920x1080, 295K)

Where's the music for the sticky? New Grass on repeat please

mark wouldn't want it forced on users like that

An absolute genius. His run from TCoS to his s/t is the logical conclusion to music. We men did not deserve his immense talent. Rest in Peace.

man is this ever incredible, fucking sonic orgasm almost, its almost tingling down my spine.
seen the album laughing stock posted alot here, but never bothered to check it out.
Im sorry for doubting you Yea Forums you guys are great.

>the man that basically invented post rock
This one hurts guys

FUCK

Attached: Hollisalbum.jpg (317x315, 11K)

Mates I’m gutted
Just bought a 4 pack of tins listening to laughing stock on the train

one note is better than two, and no notes are better than one

>tfw bought Laughing Stock on vinyl a decade ago and the value skyrocketed
>its gonna skyrocket even more now
Too special to sell, too special to play.

Laughing Stock

came to say F

Music peaked with laughing stock

"By early March 1988, the band had finished recording Spirit of Eden and had sent a cassette of the album to EMI. After listening to the cassette, EMI representatives doubted that it could be commercially successful. They asked Hollis to re-record a song or replace material, but he refused to do so."

absolute legend

New grass is an actual heavenly song, so yeah. Bless him wherever he is.

I'll give them a listen then.

He was such a descriptive man.

also posting in sticky fuck yes

>nothing personal kid

Attached: markhollis.jpg (296x300, 9K)

Man I love this interview
Had this saved on my old laptop and would listen to it now and again when I was in a talk talk kind of mood

heaven bless you in your calm, my gentle friend
heaven bless you

RIP
Thanks for the great music, Mark. Today is a sad day indeed.

never felt so devastated by someone I don't know passing away before

WAIT WHAT

this is some capital-T Truth right here

F

A true artist through and through.
Rest in peace genius.

Crying as I listen to Myrrhman. The world is cruel and Mark was a genius - a humble one at that

I will be more devastated when Jeremy Corbyn is inevitably assasinated by MI5 if he becomes prime minister.

F

True visionary. Huge loss.

only heard him interviewed a year or two ago. I was amazed at how working class London he sounds. So unexpected.

fuck me i found this tape in a record store years ago but didnt buy it because it was an interview and not the album itself.

Of fuck, this is terrible
Rest in peace the legend
F

This but I will laugh my ass off because the only good commie is a dead commie

>:^(
bad opinion

Was recently hanging out with guy I know who played bass on Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock. Said the sessions were crazy long, working over and over and over on just one little part of a song. Then they were taken apart and collaged back together again in some cases...

True

summer unwinds

Typical commie thinking that wrongthink exists

nah fuck corbyn. traitors should hang

suck my dick loser

take it elsewhere dude.

>communists
>getting their dicks sucked
More like sucking off their bulls

take this to some other thread you pillocks

Yes.
Fantastic choice, user.

Attached: 1549490579351.png (146x130, 34K)

i guess you're a traitor too .... see you on the day of the rope

see

Never heard of him Eric.

>thinking your sick turner diaries fantasy will ever come to fruition
lmao

>thinking your sick communist manifesto fantasy will ever come to fruition
lmao

Gonna eat some rice when I get in AMA

Who??

Let's ignore the two twats jacking themselves off over Brexit bollocks;

Who would you like to see on a Mark Hollis tribute album?

Attached: 1474380963093.jpg (300x400, 18K)

Thankyou Mark for all the music you made, and inspired other people to make
But especially thankyou for that horn section in Taphead holy shit

Kanye West

thank you for sticky, mods
thank you for a nice thread, Yea Forums
i'm really very upset by this

Not sure I'd ever want that to happen, but if it did, Paul Buchanan would need to be on it. He's the only other person whose voice hits the same spot as Mark Hollis'.

Proper gutted innit
Going to blast It's My Life at the gym, gains for Marky Mark

this music is way too boomer for me desu, or too white one of the two. Probably both.

I don't want him to get a tribute album, that doesn't seem like the way he'd like to go out.

It seems to me like Graham always wants to keep moving and trying new things and that the relentless experimentation has actually prevented him from being more prolific because he gets bored of what he's working on before he finishes a project. Between him going back to Hex last year to remaster it and this news I think he may return to post-rock soon though

>Mark Hollis tribute album?
Fuck, please no. The last thing we need is a bunch of second-raters feeding off his corpse.

Attached: D0Rv-npXQAA__DC.jpg (962x1200, 212K)

>shacklesofthemind.jpg

Attached: D0Rv-nqXgAMcVpM.jpg (961x1200, 261K)

>I have to tell my Dad tomorrow that one of his favourite musicians has died
feelsheartbreakingman.jpg

Attached: D0Rv-noX0AMd5Qq.jpg (964x1199, 280K)

already exists rateyourmusic.com/release/album/various_artists_f2/spirit_of_talk_talk/

Attached: D0Rv-nqXgAAFq_v.jpg (963x1200, 289K)

I wonder if (hope that) we'll get unreleased material that he's been making for the past 20 years

I just remembered that the DAC I have on my Raspberry Pi supports DSD so I'm blasting the SACD version of Colour of Spring right now with Spirit of Eden coming up and pouring my first drink of the night
RIP to a man whose music was from another world

>Oh, huh. Is it any good? Of the names I recognize I spot;
>DMST
>Frahm/Broderick
>Zelienople
>Joan As Police Woman

I almost hope we don't, his legacy should be left alone

Duuuuuuude. Rest in peace, Mark. Laughing Stock was one of the best albums to come out the year I was born.

DEATH
DEATH
DEATH
DEATH
TIME WAITS FOR NO MAN
TICK
TICK
TOCK
DEATH DEATH DEATH DEATH

just gonna leave this F here
Thanks for the great music, Mark

I was about to go download this but the SACD seems to be the remaster which sucks balls. I’d rather stick with the original CD.

Thank you for making some of the most uplifting music I've ever heard in my life.

>the transition from Ascension Day to After the Flood
you literally can't find me a better, more musically mature moment in 90s rock music

RIP you absolute genius

Attached: 1350085505249.jpg (384x384, 9K)

Nah, the SACDs (at least the DSD layer) are unique remasters and more dynamic than the '97 versions, Spirit of Eden in particular is widely considered the best version (and is also rare and expensive, of course). The 2012 editions are also good, only the '97s have limiting/compression

Damn...this hits hard.

I Believe In You makes me tear up from time to time. RIP to an absolute ledge

I would have preferred it if we had the finished version of Ascension Day, but he did a decent job trying to get it to work at least.

Full version of Ascension Day never ever.

Fuck, this is one of the first musician deaths who was someone I could call one of my favorite artists. At least he seemed like he'd finished all he'd tried to accomplish.

Is it a different master? Fair enough, I’ll give it a listen.

plen that's the best part of the track. the sudden drop of sound is sure to make you pay attention to the next track.

That's the one thing I hate about Ascension Day- why did they blueball us on such a reflective and calm album? I can understand stopping abruptly, but literally stopping the tape just before the release seems like something a punk band would do.

Thanks for sharing user.

wasn't there a production error so they were forced to cut it off? I hope I'm wrong however, the idea of it being lost forever bothers me.

I never listened to Talk Talk before, so I put Laughing Stock almost a week ago and thought it was ok (6/10). Am I missing something?
This is a serious question.
Also F.

it's a grower imo. but it's also ok if you don't like it

The first time I heard it I thought the mp3s I downloaded from soulseek were fucked up and I lost my shit. It took a while to appreciate that cut for what it is. Really one of those amazing moments where the sudden loss of dynamics is almost music in and of itself.

R.I.P.

As long as its not the 97 remasters (which are unfortunately the versions on streaming) all their modern reissues are really good and improvements on the original CDs imo, I'm normally critical of remasters and I still think it's a shame they still haven't redone The Party's Over and Laughing Stock considering how good the 2012 ones are.
The two SACDs they did maybe emphasize space more vs. the DVDAs/hi-res being more bassy, but they're all fully dynamic versions

Laughing Stock is straight up the most atmospheric record ever. I still remember when I first heard After the Flood. I was in my sophmore year in highschool and the entire sky was grey as it if it was about to rain at any time. I was so blown away that I just stopped walking to my next class and sat down on a bench to take it all in.

It grows over time and also suffers from the Seinfeld effect. Practically nothing in rock music prior to it and Spirit of Eden sound like it. The only real analogy you can draw is some of the threads that Miles Davis laid down on In a Silent Way. A sprinkling of some Sonic Youth moments too, but beyond that, Talk Talk just kicked the doors down into their branch of post rock almost singlehandedly

really sad

it makes me even sadder knowing that his death will hardly be acknowledged and those who do will only know him for "it's my life"

His name is #1 trending in the US on Twitter right now

I'm an English teacher and I do a thing with my students where if they're willing to listen to albums off a 10 page list of essentials I created over time and write me a multipage review of the album, I'll give them extra credit.

Just offered my students double credit if they listen to and review Spirit of Eden or Laughing Stock.

that's good at least, i want him to get the recognition he deserves

it's worldwide trending i think

There are moments on Anima Latina and Van Morrison's Common One which do remind me of LS and SoE, but it's really astounding how singular their sound was.

at least over here in the UK it's #1 too with 26.7k tweets

Yeah I just changed my prefs to worldwide, he's #1 in the world

Yea Forums tourist here that came to pay respect to this genius musician

RIP

FFFFFFFF
F
FFFFFF
F
F

Attached: lhnG6SY8_400x400.jpg (400x400, 20K)

it'll grow on you, quite quickly at that.

i'm happy to hear this :)

Sounds good. The ‘97 masters suck so much cock I basically shyed away from SoE remasters as a whole, but if the SACD and 2012 are an actual improvement then it’s worth my time to pick and choose the one I like.

I'm pretty sure it's because there was blackout in the studio.

>literal whomst gets a sticky
Yea Forums is dead

Bad bait

>no Xxxtentacion sticky

Nigger won't ever get a sticky.

Yeah that happened a while ago with some Miller guy. I guess the mods learned their lesson, this is a deserved sticky.

Not sure what ITAOTS has to do with this, I think that the Kpop fags saying literally who would probably also do that for Jeff Mangum, and definitely would for Julian Koster

came back to Yea Forums hoping there was a thread. thank you for what you did Hollis. F

I'm late because I came from work, but I have to pay respects to this great artist.

RIP Mark Hollis. Thanks for the great music that has meant so much to so many. May your soul find its Eden.

Attached: image.jpg (1066x800, 256K)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
this is the first celebrity death in years I actually care about

Attached: IMG_1151.jpg (310x301, 26K)

wtf, I love board tourists now

>imposing your tastes for extra credit
Sounds like a great way to make your pupils resent Talk Talk. Way to go, faggot.

This is the first celebrity death ever that’s had me feel straight up depressed. I’ve never given this much of a shit before about people dying. But Mark, Mark is special.

same. it hurts :(((

Objectively true
Echoes actually isn't a million miles off later Talk Talk's sound, an album with those two sides wouldn't sound off at all.

F

>The silence that rounds off A New Jerusalem sounds absolutely deafening now
Lads, I don't think I can take it

Attached: FUCK.jpg (455x461, 21K)

I am in the exact same position user, fuck.

i got into his music last year, helped me a lot with my anxiety and depression.

F

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Why :'(

Jaki and Holger both died last year plen

save this as a png you fuck!!!!!!!

Not the ones who matter.

jaki died over two years ago

Do we know anything? Was it a suicide?

>god

Pls no

Oh they're legends too, probably even more than mark but I never got into Can until right after they died

Cancer, allegedly.

oh so what we just give sticky's when the annoying fuck from Blink-182 dies now?

Literally who

Attached: C9crigiWAAE87lA.jpg (500x318, 24K)

i don't think anything regarding cause of death is known publicly

>Place my chair at the bathroom door
>Help me up. I can't wait anymore

Attached: 1529455527625.jpg (653x490, 32K)

source:

f

Same.

Guys. Laughing Stock is my favorite album of all-time. I don’t know what to do. I’m gonna drink all night and listen to Laughing Stock

that’s a fucking excerpt from scaruffi’s Bowie page rewritten to fit Hollis retard

in nearly every cause of death, this will happen. same deal with birth, buckos

kill yourself son of a bitch

Attached: C5C59C91-4DA6-48BF-BAC3-3D53C6157228.jpg (403x392, 20K)

been drinking along to talk talk's discog myself. let's celebrate the genius of mark hollis tonight

yes but it clearly states what the cause of death is, moron

That makes the three of us already. Let's do it. What are you going to be drinking?

because that was bowie’s cause of death with hollis’ name and death date replacing it. are you retarded?

Scaruffi isnt a source

Literally every note is perfection lads.
How did he do it?

Attached: 1538094899592.gif (600x502, 37K)

Fucking retard

whiskey highballs myself

what does bowie's cause of death have to do with it? it's clearly written for hollis, can you read?

Jesus Christ, was just thinking about him like an hour ago, then I see this.

who added what to whose page? scaruffi’s talk talk page is in italian, dipshit. that post is a fucking meme you’re taking seriously. make like terry a davis get hit by a train.

What didn't you like about Laughing Stock?

kek, imagine getting this butthurt over some words on the internet

F

One thing listening to their discography has taught me tonight, is that It's My Life and Colour of Spring are a lot better than I (and everyone else) give them credit for.

Well they're raving for a reason, After The Flood is the most transcendental of their songs, most captivating with that droning organ sound and incredible break in the middle. It completely teleports you to another world and cleanses you for 10 minutes. New Grass also tries that, but doesn't fulfill it until the end.

IML has great tunes but CoS rightfully gets credit for its fantastic production.

imagine pretending to be retarded for (You)s on the internet

For me it’s gonna be cognac. I appreciate y’all for joining my Agony

Attached: brainl_empty.jpg (645x773, 62K)

literally who

nigger

Attached: 9456EDFC-F47E-4CFD-A9FD-7714B848353A.png (2048x2048, 417K)

cheers mate

Can't believe it..NOOO.

dont you fucking dare

Couldn't have said it better. It is absolutely cleansing.

it was just a friendly bait and you fell for it, no hard feelings. you made me chuckle because of it and cheered me up a little after finding out these sad news. thanks and bye

Enjoying yourself?

I have to confess that I listened to those albums for the first time tonight and I completely agree with you. I shouldn't have written them off. The live album was great too.

no booze in the house and I'm drinking a chai w honey, milk, cinnamon and coco pebbles. when my roomie gets back we're picking up PBRs and Deep Eddie's lemon.

Just found out, lads.

TAkeEeEe MYy FreEeEeEeEDom!!!!!!!!

Attached: mark holly boy.png (847x686, 355K)

i was always into talk talk but could never "get" his solo record

until today.

does your roomie have similar music taste to you? is he a patrician?

That fucking sucks so bad, rest in peace :(

"On the mortal track
Fretful or fair
By straw, by strap
Toughening tear
Dust to dust
To dust to dust consume
For what is worth upon me
Nascent, naissant"

Trying too hard buddy.

for years i've been completely obsessed with that part on ascension day, just before the final burst, where the guitar almost completely loses the rhythm, then the second guitar slides in and BAM. on more than one occasion i've just sat there listening to that part over and over again for an hour or so. i've never heard music better than it.

The rhythm parts on Ascension Day are genius. The way the guitars go in and out of sync of the beat and the drums themselves are fucking incredible.

Copper lager until I move onto the vodka tonics

Thanks for everything Mark

based

I always found the lyrics to this song inscrutable, now it hits hard

>If you haven't listened to Talk Talk and his solo material, do yourself a favor and do so
Why? So everybody here can go "hurr durr, you're ionily listening cuz he dead"?

>tfw listening to spirit of eden
>those seconds of waves crashing against the shore before the guitar comes in

Attached: i believe in you.png (653x490, 487K)

nahh not really, we intersect on reggae though. got some patrice's in town though

toastin in ebin bread lol

>tfw listening to Talk Talk while walking in the streets of central London

i'm so sad i don't even want to eat. this is devastating.

Attached: sad.jpg (500x500, 46K)

The colour of spring is the best pop album of all time. Fight me

Yea Forums here. Discovered Talk Talk through a 80s compilation in the late 90s (I guess you already know the song it was on it). In 2002, 2003 I saw the cover of Laughing Stock on the recommended section of Allmusic, got intrigued and listened to it. I couldn't believe it was the same band that did "It's My Life". 2 years later found the "Its My life" in a used bin in Rio de Janeiro and been collecting their CDs since then (the only missing ones are The Party's Over and Missing Pieces). Mark Hollis was a genius with a unique voice, but you fuckers should talk more about Tim Friese-Greene, SoE and LS wouldn't sound the same without his contributions. Anyway, R.I.P Mark and thanks for the sticky, mods.

spirit
how long

spirit
how long

Man this one hurts. Mark was probably the first musician I discovered exclusively via this board. The last three Talk Talk albums and his solo album are incredible. RIP

Literally who?

Your dad

Don't know what to say except that pretty much every Talk Talk albums are masterpieces. R.I.P. Mark, thanks for the music.

Attached: 1543349626724.gif (500x281, 1.15M)

The Party's Over isn't, but it's certainly on the high end of 80s synthpop, and a respectable album in their discography.

Holger, Hugh Hefner and Harry Dean Stanton all died one right after the other, it really fucked me up even though they were all like 80-90 years old.

Mark and Scott Walker were the only two living musicians whose death I was dreading. Really surprised Mark went first but very glad to see such a respectful thread from this board. big F.

No fucking way. He wasn't even that old. What happened?

Most likely cancer. I wouldn't be surprised if he kept it private.

Nobody knows, he's as removed from social media and the public as you can get. Hence why there hasn't been any real official statement on it all.

Damn, was just listening to his solo album again today. RIP

>Laughing stock
me too. he probably got hit by a car

F

Attached: Mark Hollis.gif (136x234, 84K)

I can't begin to describe the impact Mark Hollis' music had on me, both emotionally and artistically in the way that the last two Talk Talk albums certainly changed the way I think about musical recordings. I will never forget the first time I heard that first note of The Rainbow and the 40 minutes that followed it... eyes closed, no distractions. Laughing Stock came a few days later and had a similar effect. I actually just discovered the Mark Hollis s/t a few months ago, which lead to me obsessing about SoE, LS and MH, reading everything I could find about their creations, for a few weeks this winter. Farewell Mark! May you rest in peace.

RIP

>Melon still hasn't said anything in tribute
What a useless hack

why must you bring up the melon ITT

rest in peace you magnificent bastard

he won't say anything + who gives a fuck what that loser has to say anyway

NOOOOOOOOOOOO

it would just be nice if he brought more people's attention to Mark's music. his death is not going to get much attention outside places where people actively care about music.

Patrician Taste.

David Sylvians in that conversation too

Place my chair at the backroom door
Help me up
I can't wait anymore

F

New Grass is still one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Damn. RIP

Holy shit, I don't think I've ever been floored by a a musician's death, what Mark Hollis has done means so much to me. RIP and thank you

That is a bummer to hear, having listened to Spirit of Eden for the first time a few weeks ago he had a unique and uncompromising vision. Gonna play 'I Believe In You' on repeat for a few...

user, a huge percentage of melon's audience are poptimists and 13 year olds that only care about the scores he gives to hip hop albums. Also Talk Talk reached something like over 700k tweets, it's not like they were incredibly obscure anyway (granted it's probably due to ppl recognizing Hollis as the guy behind It's My Life, but still).

rather not start arguing in this thread but you know that youtube as a platform attracts many different kinds of people. I wasn't implying he was obscure but he's certainly niche outside of IML, and LS is not something that most people will casually stumble on.

Fuck me, what a loss. Absolutely crushed.

One of the absolute greats, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are some of the peaks of music. Thank you Mark.

This one hurts. Spirit of Eden is such a special work, very important to me.

RIP

Who the fuck go it lemme see

i love talk talk but terrible lyrics lol

RIP the God

The Party's Over, 6/10
It's My Life, 5/10
The Colour Of Spring, 6.5/10
Spirit Of Eden , 8/10
Laughing Stock , 7/10
Mark Hollis , 6.5/10

Take it to RYM, retard

surprised no one has posted his rarities yet

youtube.com/watch?v=-dQKxVeLUco

fuck off

First wave post rock is so fucking good bros. How did we go from this to endless shitty crescendo clusterfucks

you're right, they are rated too high

Fuckkk, for a second there I though Mark Hoppus had died

i blame pitchfork

even if mark didn't die you're still a bitch for thinking eden is better than laughing stock

Jesus fucking christ. This is first musician death that has hit me this hard in a while. I expected him to live longer.

Because it's fucking good, who cares about posers

>Obligatory comment about commenting in pinned post

>leaves music early, avoiding the rockstar lifestyle and lives a clean life with his family
>still outlived by Keith fucking Richards

life isn't fair

Sorry haters and loser, but Laughing Stock is fucking boring. Spirit of Eden is one of the greatest albums of all time. During the first 3 tracks its perfectly acceptable to think it is the best album ever created.

Do you have any good links or know of any good books you've come across? I've read mostly interviews but am still very curious

It's been a few hours since I learned of his death now and I just keep getting sadder. I have never had a musician/celebrity death actually impact me before. Talk Talk has always been my go-to for when I feel sad

Attached: 1452737064516.jpg (500x452, 62K)

Keith should've got the Brian Jones treatment

cringe

No him, but there is a book by one of the engineers from SoE and LS era describing how mental it was, and the lengths they went to, I believe its called we’re still rolling

idiocy

Thanks for the joy you've brought me, Mark.

way to justify your beliefs libtard.

dubs and he's next

Attached: HLVCZR2JMZHAZM2RAVAVF7JWJU.jpg (1200x800, 93K)

I’m about to say some really gay shit, just fyi :

I feel like the support of this thread and Talk Talks music in general provides such emotional nurture and comfort. Much love to all my brothers out here. I feel blessed to have had Talk Talk in my life. It almost seemed as though they were the pinnacle of modern music. Like everything revolves around their music. I mean for fucks sake, “Laughing Stock” is like a living breathing universe. How the fuck do you do that man? Because you’re a visionary who could carry a world on your shoulders. Much love to Mark and all fans of his music. It’s truly a special comradeship. I’m happy to say one of the first “transcendent” experience I ever had with music was on an acid trip. I put on Laughing Stock and the rest was history. I had found the greatest album of all time. My musical taste was altered at that very moment. There was a shift in my consciousness....Mark changed my life, and like maybe people have already stated in this thread, this is one of the first times I’ve been emotionally devastated by a loss of a musician, but at the same time I’m so blessed to have had a personal and spiritual connection to the music, and I can see that many of you did too. Love

dubs and he hangs himself

he'll be fine

We are all brothers in this grieving and celebrating

Attached: 1347807749880.png (439x500, 346K)

I hate you

Attached: 0d6.png (472x470, 304K)

Attached: 93018685659270.gif (345x115, 47K)

I feel your feels user.

>kept hearing Talk Talk songs on the radio at work today
>think hey that's pretty cool
>come home and see this
Fuck. Mark was a legend, rest in piece.

Attached: 1534878179655.jpg (720x722, 84K)

Soon.

Attached: .jpg (2500x1250, 122K)

Why am I just reading about this now? Fuck, I feared the day this would come. Laughing Stock is my favorite piece of music ever.

Rest in peace you glorious motherfucker.

Attached: manlytears.jpg (639x595, 76K)

F
Too young

got some IPA over here

RIP mark hollis

don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened

Attached: 1463087148742.jpg (1300x740, 192K)

One of the worst things about this is that it's reminded me of all the other people who will die in our lifetime
>mfw Peter Gabriel, David Sylvian, Brian Eno, Scott Walker and Van Morrison will all die within the next 20 years

RIP and all, but I like Peter Tork more. Where was his fuckin sticky?

Fuck, man. Fuck. He made some of the most beautiful, kind stuff I've ever listened to. God bless.

I wish he had died instead.

F

youtu.be/Uw0rzonn8qA

Attached: 1440030611379.jpg (516x384, 25K)

Fuck

Bryan Ferry better not be next

Attached: bryan_ferry_photo.jpg (400x521, 20K)

fuck off

Who?

nigger

Nobody, go to bed little zoomer.

It's hard to explain, but it just hits a note that Godspeed and Deathconsciousness completely miss. Not to discount those records, but Laughing Stock just cuts straight to the core of human suffering.

like Its My Life or...?

godspeed mr hollis

I really love the organs in after the flood, thanks mark hollis

Weird, I never found LS to be negative or depressing. I always found it to be pretty affirming and almost spiritual in a way

God bless him on his trip. He was one of the greatest of all time. Sad day in the history of music.

yeah, heard Life's What You Make It too. Just the usual stuff, not that unusual to hear, but still. Just bummed out over the news.

Laughing Stock took a long time to grow on me. Its much more subdued and even keeled, not quite as dynamic, opting more for mood, not that the dynamics aren't there, but just subtle in comparison to SoE.
I'd suggest listening to Spirit of Eden, much more instantaneous, and I think ultimately better. It's more emotive and upfront, moments of calm turning to chaos and vice versa. You have to listen to Spirit of Eden before passing judgement on Talk Talk.

You also need to check out their pop albums. Even if their more experimental work doesn't do anything for you, their first two albums have really solid synthpop songs and The Colour of Spring is one of the all-time great pop albums.

I think an element of Talk Talk that many people forget (and that maybe took some people by suprise when they saw Hollis was #1 trending worldwide on Twitter) is that Colour of Spring was actually a big hit album when it was released, it sold millions of copies

That fucking sucks. RIP. Thanks for all the stellar work, Mark.

Attached: RIP.png (648x792, 559K)

most cathartic moment in the history of music

But that commercial success is part of their mythos. It's the reason why they got a huge lump of money to do whatever the fuck they want on SoE and LS, and why it's remarkable that Mark never went back to music afterwards when so many washed up one hit wonders still have careers.

My perception is probably limited by being American, but here it's mostly either you only know "It's My Life" or you're a P4K/mucore listener who knows the post-rock stuff, the legacy of TCOS has mostly been lost in the popular consciousness

holy fuck this is good

Attached: 1452526095297.gif (319x255, 263K)

Laughing Stock for me :)

They're both amazing, but Spirit.

Inna Lillahi wa inna ilayhi raji'un

Thank you for all the good music Mark.
Will meet you in the heaven, inshaAllah

literally, and i mean LITERALLY, who the fuck is this faggot? am i supposed to know this person? i came to this board in 2017 and i dont have time for irrelevant oldfag memes and other gay shit you faggots still hold onto that should have died off half a decade ago. This faggot tier thread is taking up valuable space in the catalog for discussion of important new music that people actually care about. The last thing i wanna see after getting back from a long day of classes is some faggot fuck black-and-white portrait having motherfucker being circlejerked over by the enlightened gaurdian elders of Yea Forums's board culture, completely oblivious to just how fucking GAY they are.

Good fucking riddance. Give one more worthless piece of ancient history a sticky when they kick the bucket, motherfuckers. I dare you. Watch what happens.

nice dubs

u too

Damn, I shared the same birthday as him too. The later albums are god-tier and all, but fuck the haters, The Party's Over and this song are what got me into the band when I randomly heard it on Pandora. RIP
youtube.com/watch?v=ez_BfAAw-10

Attached: 1513890141355.jpg (480x404, 14K)

>9 hours later and still no Pitchfork report
been a long time coming, but that might actually be the last straw for me if they aren't prepping something bigger for tomorrow. extra weird since they dropped a 10 on SoE as one of their Sunday classic review just last month

Their editor was posting tributes on Twitter within an hour of the news spreading, I think they have a policy about not publishing obituaries without an official publicity statement. Only problem is that Hollis probably hasn't had a publicist in 20 years so that statement may never actually come.
They gave Spirit of Eden a 10 just last month so it's clear they still care about Talk Talk.

rip mark hollis; the only man to unite post-rock avant-garde faggots & new wave bisexuals.

Attached: quick jona conspiracy.jpg (681x452, 84K)

based, me too.

I'd be shocked if they didn't do a huge feature on the grandfather of post-rock. Hope we get a decent Liner Notes video on Spirit of Eden and/or Laughing Stock in the near future.

I didn't say it was "negative" or "depressing." Grief isn't necessarily 'bad,' and acknowledging it can be, as you say, affirming.

Idiot :)

underage. please don't try so hard to be cool, this is an anonymous board after all.

wow fucking rip what a talented guy

Ancodental but I don't know if I've ever felt this sad over a musician's death in my lifetime. I'm only 25 but have been listening to Talk Talk since I was 16. I vividly remember jogging along my home town's trail along the river, listening to New Grass as I passed by endless trees and sunshine. Some of the happiness moments of my youth.

Laughing Stock is a downright masterpiece, and is still probably a top five personal favorite after all these years. Something that completely affected my taste and perspective on music, and frankly I'm not sure if there's anything else out there like it. Dude was so far ahead of his time that nothing else in post rock has come close.

I remember reading stories about how they recording this and Spirit, how they rented out an abandoned church and basically snipped together hundreds of smaller recordings of instrumentation and stitched it all together. For Hollis to do this all back in the late 80's is mind boggling. A genius in the purest sense. Dude stopped making music to spend more time with his family and God I just admire the man so much.

F

Attached: 1550417199102.png (1080x780, 88K)

F

Reroll.

vocaroo.com/i/s0Gz964FCG88 crafted this tribute a few moments ago. feel like the poem I wrote recently pairs well with his style, was probably listening to him while writing it. (Deep Eddy's kicking in).

poem before or after dreaming

wandering architecture,
pooled feathers take in
accent (of candlewick).
on their night
strafe (the night songs
whine), song-like:

here’s to:
the stereo of pines;
the simpler times
when one realized

I feel your pain
I’m I agree as well that we was ahead of his time.

F

Attached: eJQtyhY.png (2000x2000, 72K)

Damn I love the poem. I write in a similar vein. It does remind me of Mark

rude :(

What a beautiful thread. Talk Talk is still the greatest musical discovery I made, and my best kept secret. I only share it with peole who are incredibly important for me. The only thing close to a semi-religious experience came from hearing Spirit of Eden a few years ago while having a really shit time. This band just kept on giving after it was all splintered. Everything form Mark's solo effort to Out of Season it top grade. The best thing to come out of the eighties.

Anyone have that bait where someone bitched about the "scene" and watching them live on the SoE tour? Even the shitposting around them was masterfully crafted.

Agreed, beautiful thread. Glad his art means so much to so many other people. What a beautiful mind Mark had.

Excellent musician, F

I have a pet theory that Laughing Stock is about the Fall of Atlantis or the Biblical Flood. Just look at the song titles, Merman (as in Mermaid), Ascension Day, After the Flood, Taphead (Kundalini / Crown Chakra activation), New Grass (old continent is gone, now we are on a new one), Runeii or Rune II, the sequel to Rune I (a new language).

I like it

nope, he'll only die of old age

I think Laughing Stock is the story of a guy who commits suicide and his struggle through purgatory, judgement, and ultimate salvation.

Runeii and Myrrhman are both words that literally translate to Laughing Stock. He kills himself in a state of shame, feeling he's a laughing stock. Ascends, finds heaven and new grass grows in his wake.

which will be soon

Never heard of this dude or his band, can I get a quick rundown?

>made artsy new wave music
>moved on to chamber pop
>moved on to creating post rock
>left the industry forever

>first two albums were commercially successful synthpop albums.
>third album was a commercially & critically successful art pop album.
>last two albums were critically successful post-rock albums.
>breaks up band and goes into seclusion to raise family in the country
>briefly comes back twice at different times with a solo album and commissioned tv music but otherwise permanently retired from music
All of the above albums mentioned are pretty good.

Made a Beatles or XTC-esque transformation from a Duran Duran-type 80s synthpop group into the inventors of a highly spiritual, experimental yet beautiful moody type of music that became known as "post rock", but in half the time. Never made any concessions for commercial success and music like later Radiohead wouldn't exist without them

Any really popular songs I might now?

Imagine coming on Yea Forums and asking for popular songs. What a faggot.

Yeah
youtube.com/watch?v=yWQezjGjiqs

"it's my life", "such a shame" and "life's what you make it"
but you rly gotta check out their later, artsier shit if you really want to get why they were truly special. listen to Laughing Stock.

It's My Life was covered by No Doubt and was a hit in the US, so probably that one.

Anyone got a link to this?

A few years back I'd suddenly suffered some pretty bad chest pains; although I'd wind up fine in the end, that week of doctor's visits filled with uncertainty was really stressful.
But that's when I discovered Laughing Stock. Such calming music really took my mind off that tightness in my chest and brought me to another world. Thank you Mark.

F

thanks man, care to share one?

Attached: 1200.jpg (1200x675, 46K)

literally who

I needed a laugh, thank you

This is a fairly recent story, but a few months ago I was pretty addicted to video games. It was fine when I was living the neet life but eventually reality caught up and I was unable to balance my new job and my game commitments. After I broke off from that shit Laughing Stock really helped me to feel at peace with myself, it helped me to forget about how much my life had changed in such a short span of time. There’s something about the album that’s undeniable transcendant, and that’s really what I needed at the time. In a few hours after work when I get home I will record the final version of a song I’ve been working on for the last month and name it after Mark. Thank you for what you’ve done.

He's collabing with Shinji Sato in heaven right now.

Damn I don't know any of these fucking songs
I'll check out Laughing Stock though

Not a knock on whoever died, but it's stupid that he gets a sticky and George Martin, the true fifth Beatle, didn't.

Maybe it’s because the beatles fucking suck

George Martin not getting a sticky is fucktarded (if true) but dude was 90 years old, Hollis was 64 and many were holding out for him to release something else eventually

Sorry you’re sad but wtf does buying a 4 pack of tins mean? Is that code for crying or peeing in your pants or what

Never was enamored with his stuff but even from an untrained ear you could tell the guy was filled with music and had an unending desire to express himself, often in beautiful ways. Gonna spin Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock all night.

Urban Dictionary seems to imply it's smokeless tobacco (dip), weird to me that British people would be into something so trashy that's associated with toothless hillbillies in America though

rest in peace Mark

>not getting it

as autistic or pretentious as it may sound, it actually pisses me off that SoE gets more love than LS. both great albums in absolute terms, but SoE is pleb tier compared to LS.

Attached: 1534268577390.jpg (1280x720, 61K)

Been on Yea Forums for six+ years, just now listening to Laughing Stock for the first time. I remember when this shit was in all the Yea Forumscore charts.

Feels awful that I slept on it for this long. I'm on After the Flood and it's g o r g e o u s.

Attached: 1395907912567.jpg (579x523, 122K)

next time you listen to it listen outside, isolated in nature. the same applies to spirit of eden.

That sounds amazing. I'll keep that in mind but I live in fucking Brooklyn so nature is kind of a luxury

take the subway to central park nigga

you can see skyscrapers from every angle in central park

I've been there a few times and it's a nice place to hang out (and get high on mushrooms) but for really being in nature, it's not the best. Maybe Prospect Park would be better.

RIP

based post

It's all I've ever wanted :') I hope to hear it in my dreams tonight

Rest in peace Mark

Proof of the translation into laughing stock? Brainlet here

fuck...

Attached: frippcry.png (729x621, 619K)

I Believe In You is legit the most beautiful song I've ever heard, holy fuck

most likely. myyrhman seems to be about someone killing themselves, and the religious references in the next two songs aren't very subtle. new grass is very serene.

who?

the guy who sung It's My Life

No, not Gwen Stefani.

Spirit
How long?

That’s Jon Bon Jovi though?

upstate is nice
drive up and just sit in some nature park

Wrong

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

what how the fuck do you not know It's My Life? maybe you know the cover gwen stefani did? like dawg how

late fags coming thru now? ya know atleast ya boy got a stick i mean alan vega didnt neither did holger or jaki

i listened to it outside on a summer night in the portuguese countryside, i remember every moment all these years later

listen to ascension day

crying

RIP, I'm going to have to listen to Mark Hollis s/t now, since I kept overlooking it...

I'll miss you, Mark. Thank you for everything

Attached: Muere-Mark-Hollis-Talk-Talk.jpg (770x508, 59K)

The only other artist that's cut themselves from the world like Mark has is Paul Buchanan of The Blue Nile, but even he couldn't keep from releasing new music, in 2012.

I’ll be sad when P.B. is gone :(

This is the answer.

Laughing Stock is one of the best albums ever made.

Big F.

:((

I like talk talk, but this thread is proof that people who listen to music are gay

it’s actually proof that you are gay

fugg

F

RIP Mark. Your music is so beautiful. Never thought a musician's death would fuck me up like this.

t. gay

oooooo….FAREWELL

i knew it, gay people listen to music

>Give one more worthless piece of ancient history a sticky when they kick the bucket, motherfuckers. I dare you. Watch what happens.
I want a Peter Tork sticky up and I want it up NOW.

Attached: peter-tork-died-1200x633.jpg (1200x633, 89K)

Frankie says relax

If you want Monkee worship you can always go to the Steve Hoffman forums, user

fuck RIP...
Frankie Teardrop was the scariest song ever right guys?

Pitchfork literally hasn't made any statement regarding Hollis' death

The actual state of the music industry

>pitchfork
>in 2019
What did you expect

Literally fucking who

F
shit man

They gave Spirit of Eden a 10 a month ago, it’s because there’s no official confirmation. There may well never be, given how private a person he was. I’d expect something later today though, given there’s no rebuttal and there’s been multiple tributes from people who personally knew him it's a given it’s true at this point

latenewfag go

After the Flood and I Believe in You are in my top 20 all time. Also Life’s What You Make It is an enormously powerful song that gets through every day when I feel exhausted and low

Yeah they might never actually confirm it. We may never know the cause of death

Speaking about great moment in their songs, the massive TWANG at 2:48 in Happiness is Easy has always stood out to me. Such a confident move, and it sounds so great.

I can't think of a single musician's death that's affected me in the way Mark's has. Such a huge loss although he wasn't creating music, left behind a perfect legacy.
I remember seeing fake posts around a year ago stating he had passed away, so I was skeptical at first but wow. It's so incredibly sad

>came to this board in 2017
admitted newfag, gtfo

>After the Flood and I Believe in You are in my top 20 all time.
redpilled

RIP Mark Hollis, your music got me through so much

this is funny after the scaruffi arguments earlier. has he ever updated so quickly for a death before? it's how the madman shows his respect for an artist apparently

Attached: scruffy.png (907x608, 89K)

>tfw everybody needs someone to live by

Attached: 1498082240409.png (626x496, 455K)

>tfw the world’s turned upside down

Such a Shame!

THAT AIN'T ME BABE

RIP

F, a real genius

The amount of passion he put into live performances is top notch. Looks like he's about to burst out of his skin.
youtube.com/watch?v=gFBcSMPTE-o

First time listening to Colour of Spring, holy shit this is good. I slept on it assuming it couldn't be as good as SoE/LS but this is amazing.

Thank you....

Attached: 1546313092943.png (1293x1293, 1.61M)

He was dead as a musician for 20 years and you guys are not his close friends, why do you care so much
I'm not trying to be edgy, genuinely can't understand why is this "shocking"

I feel gutted for his family. He stopped doing music because he wanted to dedicate his time to his family, which is a very respectable and noble thing not many musicians do. I'm happy that he stopped recording music because of this.

is talk talk the favourite band of Yea Forums?

never seen such unanimous praise for a band on here

Still no official confirmation?

Dude hasn't had a publicist for like two decades. It'll never be confirmed. And even if it is a hoax, he'd probably be relieved the general public thinks he's dead.

what the fuck are you talking about, its obviously confirmed

The entire thing of him being dead spread from a screen cap of someone claiming that their brother in law, Mark Hollis, died. I haven't seen the actual post of the claim. It could have easily been faked. His band members haven't been in contact with him for YEARS.

cringe

Attached: 1549522586547.png (600x408, 149K)

NPR confirmed it
twitter.com/nprmusic/status/1100346547030642688
>Hollis’ longtime manager Keith Aspden confirmed Tuesday that Hollis died after a short illness: “I can't tell you how much Mark influenced and changed my perceptions on art and music. I'm grateful for the time I spent with him and for the gentle beauty he shared with us.”

Fuck its finally confirmed, lets pour one out boys ;-;

I actually met Mark at a charity event in London a few years back. He was surprisingly down to earth, and very funny.

>Such a shame started playing the moment you posted this
;_;

F

mate, I was listening to Time It's Time when I read it
and Mark sang "now that it's over" when I first found the update.

Attached: 1539463233504.png (700x700, 1.87M)

>short illness
so what was it?

Rip

SPIRIT
HOW LONG?
SPIRIT

I saw that tweet too, nigga.

Fuck, I'm tearing up right now, Talk Talk meant so much to me.

I can't believe how much I listened to both Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock on long bus journeys, they are the first thing that comes to mind when I think of post-rock.

Attached: tyUFz8U.png (1920x1080, 1.2M)

this is gonna be a sad week. posting rare collabs
youtube.com/watch?v=avIN3-VY6ws
youtube.com/watch?v=7M0_vdOvnVs

Attached: 3159118295_251358a819.jpg (500x500, 183K)

>It's my life
>It never ends

Attached: ha-wrong.jpg (460x300, 104K)

noisey.vice.com/en_us/article/j5be53/mark-hollis-talk-talk-retire-disappear-reunions

Foreshadowing

first & favourite track on ST

Attached: cos.jpg (296x204, 65K)

PEOPLE CRYING

PEOPLE CRYING

F

you're a fucking retard

Taken from the BBC News site. Seems there was lots of goodwill for the guy despite his self-imposed obscurity.

Attached: Untitled.png (1282x246, 23K)

brutal

Talk Talk are well remembered here in the UK, if only for It's My Life

I felt the same way when I first heard it user
I was simultaneously blown away and also slightly annoyed at myself that I didn't listen to it earlier

>A literally who is gay, and that's a good thing!
What the fuck, I thought the BBC was a respectable news site.
Still it's nice to see Talk Talk so loved.

pitchfork.com/news/talk-talks-mark-hollis-dead-at-64/

Holy shit is that the Crusader from Indiana Jones or what?

poastan in bread

how did your girlfriends take the news, Yea Forums

Attached: 1999.jpg (810x761, 340K)

My what?

>I thought the BBC was a respectable news site.

Attached: bazinga.png (900x900, 1.29M)

what

Jesus what a tryhard
Who tries this hard on RYM

F intensifies.
Laughing Stock and Spirit of Eden helped me through some tough times. His music brings back some bittersweet memories.
I was just talking about him with a friend a few weeks ago.

F

Short career but magic music. Life's What You Make It is one of my favorite songs.

I don't believe you
I don't believe you, I don't!

;_;

thats interesting user, what kinda albums have you gotten your students into?

F

despite the season it was a beautiful sunny day in england when he passed away

1999 the year music died

MODS PLEASE UNSTICKY

This is not the kind of attention Mark would've wanted. Let the man rest in peace.

You guys don't understand is his character and it's sickening

it ain't about that, we love the man and his music. let us post into the void for a bit in honor of his memory

trying too hard buddy

What would he want us to do, user? Personally, I hadn't heard of him until today, but i'm going to listen to his work and light a cigarette for him when I'm at my meditation spot.

Play that shit today friend

fuck off and kys

you're an idiot, a sticky isn't a badge or a checkmark, it's a way to unclutter the board during moments where something is going on that could lead to many threads being made about one topoic

sorry for callng you an idiot, that was rude

very late to the party in terms of Talk Talk. Could not get into Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock wasn't on Spotify in my country. Listened to Laughing Stock for the first time earlier today after hearing he passed. An amazing, transformative album and a loss for all of us. F

I forgive you, it's emotionally straining time for all of us

Is this a bad time to say that I think that Talk Talk are overrated?

it would be in poor taste to say that now, but it's your opinion so w/e

nah, this is probably actually the best time to out yourself as a pleb since we're too distracted with other stuff to care.

probably not if you want (You)s

Talk Talk listening party when?
Let's open a discord and start with The Party's Over

Kek

>Discord
Isn't there a Yea Forums radio or did they shut it down? I don't browse here very often any more.

Apology for poor english

When were you when Mark Hollus dies?

I was at home smoking spliffer when Anthony rings

'Mark is kill'

'Such a shame'

he was the fucking best...fuck

RIP mark

'Stories about its recording sessions are legion and legendary. Clocks were banned from the studio so no one knew what time it was. Guest musicians were told to do whatever they felt without being played the song they were supposed to be performing on. Engineer Phil Brown later claimed that Hollis erased 80% of the music he recorded.'

Simon Edwards (bassist) said pretty much the same thing to me. There were strobe lights and what amounted to sensory deprivation for some sessions, going over and over the same stuff at times. A large part of S.O.E was collaged together - reminiscent of Teo Macero's working with Miles Davis's electric material but even less structured.

Now is definitely no the time, but I'm with ya my lad.
Talk Talk always got praise for stuff the german Krautrock scene had been doing for years

Have any of the crescendo-core faggots said anything about his death yet?

Attached: 1551128475-talktalk.jpg (500x519, 61K)

Very well possible, Peter Christopherson died almost a decade ago and his cause of death has never been revealed.

RIP, it's a shame he was never able to make any good music

Attached: 1_The-Tube.jpg (1200x630, 123K)

how do I get my hair to grow like that?

Attached: A-60480-1419608423-8547.jpeg.jpg (570x388, 55K)

If you mean post-rock in general with "crescendo-core", Graham Sutton of Bark Psychosis was one of the first people to announce his passing.
If you're just talking about second and third wave post-rock, not to my knowledge, no.

i loved his music so much, i've recorded loads of stuff and always compare it to talk talk and end up wanting to give up hahah. Thanks for the music Mark

I'm guessing cancer

What do you listen to user

He choked on the peni of 7 year old boys.

cancer is anything but short

Listening to new grass right now

Attached: 1548188287146.gif (500x375, 497K)

how short are we speaking? it can kill in a few months

With pancreatic cancer you can have as little as three weeks.

ilnesses, even serious ones, typically don't last for months. I don't think they would have used "short" if it lasted for that long.

Lemmy died three days after he was diagnosed with it

literally who

youtube.com/watch?v=3wNW60eXnaU

Attached: 1476300009155.png (1001x823, 806K)

Is there a non-literal use of 'who?' - and if there isn't then why are you prefacing the question with 'literally'?

I was actually shocked with this news. What a bummer. I want to listen Spirit of Eden - Laughing Stock - Mark Hollis s/t but I'm afraid that the mood will make me kill myself.

Attached: 1541341620322.jpg (750x673, 176K)

Ripin piss

pay your respects guys. the emotional gut punches get a 10x multiplier today

Attached: spirit.jpg (1347x1346, 193K)

RIP. One of the best voices in music.

Could be a stroke too or pneumonia.

Read the thread you fucking nigger

thanks for the laugh user.

Dropping in late to say goodbye to a real one.

Laughing Stock was my first favorite album and it still is.
Thanks for everything, Mark.

farewell

the party's over

What do they have to do with Mark Hollis?

damn... this hell we call earth knows no boundaries, rip man

Surprised by the lack of tributes from other musicians.

Laughing Stock > Spirit Of Eden, also. After The Flood and New Grass are untouchable.

>BOOMERSHIT
BRUH WHERE IS X'S STICKY LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Of course Pecknold leaves a great tribute.

>now that he's dead we'll probably get more of his unreleased music and learn what kind of life he led after he retired
feels bitter man

Attached: D0RbWRTVYAAQkKi.jpg (1024x682, 135K)

you know what bums me out about this one, how there was always the possibility that he'd release a sort of comeback album, that he'd open up again in some way and we'd see some interview on stereogum about what he's been doing for the last 20 or so years. but instead he's just dead.

>tfw you will never sit in this room during an quiet evening in 1991, listening to Laughing Stock while looking at the fireplace

Attached: 1538866361875.jpg (444x600, 56K)

He had obviously conveyed what he wanted to, or didn't think he could match the quality. Either way, I trust his decision.

Rest well Mark, I listened to you all through the 80's and early 90's.

You have to listen to Spirit of Eden first. I did and when I heard Laughing Stock I thought "thank fuck I've listened to SoE a dozen times before this" because even then LS is a grower.

yeah definitely, what a clean and focused career. sometimes people who step out of the light for so long do want to come back and just never get to it though so there was always that what ifness to it. but it is what it is.

You made a wrong choice desu. You should listen to The Colour of Spring first, immerse yourself with Chameleon Day, then you can proceed to their next albums

Given that he was left uncredited on Psyence Fiction, maybe he's done some studio work on other music since that we don't know about? I hope his family does something for the fans. I'd love to hear the multi-hour improv sessions for his later stuff, try and pick out what made it into those short songs. I bet there's a wealth of great sounds there.

>not a sticky anymore
MOOOOOOODS

Also worth noting that people ridiculed the last two Talk Talk albums on their release.

plebs

>make super catchy synthpop so you have enough money to invent post rock later on
fucking hero

>unstickied

One last hurrah for ol' Mark, lads

thewire.co.uk/in-writing/essays/mark-hollis-a-life-by-rob-young

wire published their obit

I can't bear it bros. I really can't.

Any other musician, I would have been OK with it. Saddened, but OK.

It really feels like a close family member died. He was that important in my life.

Goddammit, you expect some people to live forever, but they never do.

Goodbye Mark

you're not alone user. i feel the same way.

RIP. Absolutely beautiful music

same here anons, everything is gonna be ok in the end :(

Thread unpinned. Rest in peace Mark.

F

He could have lived another 20 years. Probably some form of cancer. I'd be interested in hearing what UNKLE and Anja Garbarek thought of him--he seemed so opinionated about music that it's weird to imagine him doing anything other than his later stuff. Like why do that work when you probably hate trip-hop?

This is the first time I got sad over a celeb's death. Not with bowie cause I didn't listen to any at the time.
RIP

Unstickied
Goobye Mark

Had to talk to my father today about this, Mark was his favorite musician.
Many tears were shed.
Thank you for some of the most beautiful music ever made.
Rest well big man.

F
Why is the sticky unstickied so fast?
MODS=FAGS

Here's a nice article with musicians talking about Mark:
theguardian.com/music/2019/feb/26/musicians-on-mark-hollis-he-found-hooks-in-places-im-still-trying-to-fathom

>did I never hear this because I'm American or something?
have you ever played a little known game called Grand Theft Auto Vice City?